[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Have you ever had a campaign that you sincerely thought was really worthy of being written up, and would have made a great story?

Or have they all been just fun between friends that nobody else would really care about?
>>
You can turn anything into a decent story. Your thread is shit.
>>
File: NEOBK-1676983.jpg (69 KB, 355x500)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
No, I've never seen one either. Additionally even the professionally edited "replays" are below that of the worst pulp hacks; 5 famous authors, a large production team and look at what come out of it.
>>
No, because the dick jokes are what made the campaigns fun and they can't be cut.
>>
>>93922352
I turned a Delta Green one-shot into a short story for a class in law school.
>>
back in highschool, a couple of friends and I had serious dreams of turning our game into something more, like a comic or a game. Looking back on it though... it was utter trash and power fantasy trips from a bunch of shitty 15yr olds.
>>
>>93922352
A great anime or novel, no.

A great Fire Emblem ROM hack, perhaps!
>>
>>93922509
Did your law school have a gen ed requirement ???
>>
No. A campaign is good if it was a good RPG. The goal is not to tell a "great story". If a story is produced, it's a great story YOU can recite from your life about a fun game you played.
>>
>>93922352
I once wrote a campaign journal in character. It was fun.
>>
>>93922943
Haha, no. They offered a class on persuasive writing that involved us reading some sort of short fiction or poetry for the first half of the semester and then creating our own for the second half. Also we drank wine during class.
>>
>>93924072
>Also we drank
That law school is committed to getting you ready for working in the legal system.
>>
>>93924145
It was a fun class and an easy A. Also why not try to make your briefs and memos at least somewhat enjoyable to read?
>>
>>93922352
Yeah it was mostly fucking around.
Some games are probably more suited to it than others, modern D&D just generates nonsense but anon >>93922509 did pretty good with Delta Green and I could also see CoC leading to a good narrative.
TES and Lodoss were both based on D&D but it could never happen today, everything is simulacrum, memes, and "tropes".
>>93922864
Treasure those dreams.
>>
>>93922352
Anything with production values can be decent even with bland/bad writing. Lodoss's writing and world building are competent at best by any definition, it's sold entirely on the fact it was a high quality anime that visually looked stunning, especially when compared to contemporary animation. All the media that people hate today like Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Rings of Power, etc aren't hated because of their writing or world building, they're hated because they all look like something made out of Bollywood with cheap plastic cgi modelling and ugly foul faced actors snarling into the camera. If season 8 Game of Thrones had've had a jailbait teenaged hardbody piece of ass in a skimpy toga playing Danerys like a power mad bimbo opposite a brooding alpha male pretty boy that wasn't a doughy manlet and the rest of the cast similarly good looking and showing emotions beyond Pissed and Bitchy, the show would've ended beloved by fans. We know this because that's how it started out and why it became popular in the first place, high production values with shameless fan service.

As for your question: yes, many, mostly DM'd by me. The players characters weren't particularly interesting or well acted but I've seen enough moments of brilliance to cherry pick the funniest/most intelligent/funnest events and mash them together to create a piece of media. I'm sure anyone who has played the game for 10+ years with varying people does.
>>
>>93924383
>Anything with production values can be decent even with bland/bad writing.
>All the media that people hate today like Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Rings of Power, etc aren't hated because of their writing or world building
Only somebody in the film industry could be this delusional.
>If season 8 Game of Thrones had've had a jailbait
Yeah you're from Hollywood alright.
>>
>>93924255
>I could also see CoC leading to a good narrative.
Because adventures/investigations are usually written as a railroad already.
>>
>>93924436
They're not necessarily wrong that the production is a big reason why those are disliked now. But Game of Thrones was well liked for so long in spite of the writing because it had good production. Now, the production has greatly declined and the flaws of the writing are too immense for people to ignore. The sequel trilogy had okay visuals and production, but an awful script
>>
>>93924383
I mostly agree. Lodoss is super overrated. The pacing is horrific, and the villain is just on this odd constant rotation. The dragons don't matter, even though they're in the intro. It feels more like it only exists as a vehicle for Deedlit. That doesn't mean it couldn't be more. The setting has some interesting things.
>>
>>93922352
Yes. And I wrote a few of them up, too. A couple greentexts in various threads, some extensive session notes that include my favorite bits of dialogue, and this write-up I did for a 3-session one shot.

Sadly, while I had one campaign that was thoroughly recorded (all RP was done in text) and had tons of custom art, that game had some serious emotional baggage. So we never finished greentexting it or compiling the chat logs.
>>
>>93922352
I've had individual shadowrun missions that would make kino scripts for some episodic cyberpunk show.

I had a long arc of a wfrpg campaign that I honestly think would make a pretty good short story. Been thinking of turning it into a free module
>>
>>93922352

I guess you could make a movie about our Ocean's Eleven rescue/heist on the big bad tower where we spent weeks infiltrating, stealing, and sabotaging his plans under his nose before bringing the whole tower down and robbing him blind. Fantastic ending as well with the mastermind thief sacrificing himself so the rest of the group could escape and leave the big bad with nothing but bankruptcy and ruin.
>>
It would be fun to see how a fanbase reacts to the different party members in some of my campaigns. We had some characters and interesting party dynamics.
>>
>>93922442
I'm going by the idea of whether or not it is a story worth sharing. My session write-up from >>93926053 is just that, something I hope might be amusing to people with an interest in World of Darkness games or bumbling paramilitary asshole teams.

If we're judging by "worth publishing a novel or making a TV series" then consider that The Expanse was adapted from a tabletop campaign.
>>
>>93926067
Hell yeah, I'd read or watch that
>>
File: sousou-no-frieren-5.jpg (226 KB, 1920x1080)
226 KB
226 KB JPG
>>93922352
I guess there is a niche market for this because most isekai slop is written by people who have never played /tg/.
It's just a male protagonist's (author's) diary with other characters just being sidekicks. They also just borrow vague popular ideas and thus the world building is non existent or shit.
>>
>>93924817
>the show plows into the ground as soon as GRRM's story ends and they have to come up with their own
>That damn Starbucks cup did us in! Whip the CGI crews harder!
It's an unholy amount of cope.
>>
File: dungeon-meshi-poster2.png (7.04 MB, 3000x4085)
7.04 MB
7.04 MB PNG
I know Dungeon Meshi's author plays TTRPGs and was originally inspired by Wizardry. I wouldn't be surprised if they also pulled from their own experiences when making Dungeon Meshi
>>
>>93922352
As long as martials have superhuman strength and can shit on casters any series is good
>>
>>93926073
>then consider that The Expanse was adapted from a tabletop campaign.
Kind of but not really, only the first book was very lightly based on an amalgamation of multiple sessions and most of the material wasn't developed for the campaign itself.
>>
>>93927675
I can imagine. I've had player characters carve up defeated monsters to gain some rations in my campaign. I've also played a character who was a cook.
>>
File: 1539619362508.webm (146 KB, 720x404)
146 KB
146 KB WEBM
>>93922442
This gave us Monk so I'm ok with it
>>
>>93922352
Lodoss War was ironically a truly shit campaign, the original replays (the PDF is just about too large to post, sorry) make the sorry state of it perfectly obvious.

It's *sort of* defensible because the whole purpose of the campaign was to show Japanese total noobs to D&D how to set up and run a game, so if it had been too ambitious or brilliant it would have led to disappointment, but genuinely, it is not good source material.
>>
>>93922352
Had a homebrew semi-medieval magitechnohorror campaign set in one of the last surviving cities after magic WMD's turned most of the world into a fucked wasteland with other planes incurring into our reality and warping creatures into monstrous beings. We started as level 1 nobodies showing up at the docks. A young romantic alchemist, a free'd slave half-orc brawler that wanted to become a chef, my rogue who got his ticket to the city doing glowie shit for a local benefactor he didn't know, and an old cleric that wanted to join the knight order and lend aid. City was dealing with a plague outbreak, weird technological horrors loose in a semi-industrialized underdark, and an eldritch cult. As well as a bunch of factions vying for power and status. One day's villains could be next days allies, a lot of "It's just business" fights happened. The dynamic between the cleric and I almost turned into pvp but revelations we had gearing to fight each other had us team up against an existential threat. Batman/Superman comparisons were made and while we constantly butted heads, god help anything that was on both of our radars. My rogue would ultimately become the last surviving member of the original party, inheriting the clerics mantle, and basically becoming Corvo from Dishonored. We often talked about making it a comic or something because of how cinematic everything got. (DM was a huge comic book nerd)

This was around 2018ish and is still my favorite campaign I've taken part in.
>>
>>93934160
https://archive.org/details/record-of-lodoss-war-comptiq-magazine-english-translation/mode/2up
Saves ye an upload there.
>>
>>93922352
No. What makes a compelling game to play isn't what makes a compelling story to read. They're very different things.

That said I like watching people play compelling games. Never gotten into watching RPGs, but I can watch people play Starcraft 2 for hours and hours.
>>
>>93936488
Maybe it's me, but I don't think this is that bad of a campaign despite what the other anon was whining about. It's certainly not some kind of masterpiece epic, but feels perfectly serviceable as like someone's first fantasy story. Especially factoring in that it's trying to teach the basics of playing a game at the same time.
>>
I found this years ago and never seen /tg/ talk about it http://www.peldor.com/ I guess it's not well known.
>>
>>93922352
we had a 10-years epic one but my players mostly left notes, not actual "reports". I have notes somewhere, including ludicrous epic items they acquired or that were around to be, and a world map.
Later with a sub-group of them we had another one that went up to level 15-17 (I don't remember) and they wrote all down carefully.
>>
>>93922352
The campaign is still ongoing, but the one that I'm running right now feels like it would make for a good book or perhaps a text-heavy video game in the style of Disco Elysium.
I've done some extra flourishes for this campaign that have really paid off in terms of getting the players engaged. For example, every session has started off with a short passage from the in-setting religious text that was the basis for the revolution that has defined current events. Its been a very effective tone setter, and drip feeds them lore on the church, past events, and what might happen in the future.
I'm really happy how its been turning out.
>>
>>93936806
>Maybe it's me
It's you.
>>
>>93941471
Why do you say that?
>>
>>93941491
I'm not that other anon but the railroading and badly designed dungeons combine to form an execrable product. Like, you could put up with one of those if the other element was good, but both? Forget it, that's just bad now.
>>
>>93941515
You'd have a point if not for the fact that describes like 80% of all d&d campaigns ever
>>
File: Bruh.png (81 KB, 386x315)
81 KB
81 KB PNG
>>93941626
>it's impossible for the majority of D&D campaigns to be shit
Bruh...
>>
>>93941913
I said the opposite, anon
>>
>>93925594
>That doesn't mean it couldn't be more.

It is more, the franchise is gigantic.Even just the novels have 9 different series and dozens of short stories, then you have many different manga, games, anime, magazine replays radio dramas, TRPGS, etc.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.