[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File deleted.
Horus Heresy Siege of terra is fucking garbage and completely ruined SM lore for me

Have you ever read any canon side-lore that ruined it for you in your tabletop game? When did you realize the writers were all hacks?
>>
>>93934324
The Star Wars sequel trilogy
>>
>>93934374
>sequel
prequel
>>
>>93934324
>Have you ever read any canon side-lore that ruined it for you in your tabletop game?
Absolutely not, especially for something like 40k. If I'm making something for myself or my friends I see no reason to rigidly conform to canon if I dislike it, and simply ignore things that I don't want to include. A frogposter being unable to manage this is not surprising though.
>>
>>93934324
I really like the *idea* of DnD alot more before I got into it's actual lore, but that's on me.

Used to play alot of Halo campaigns as Marines and ODSTs in other systems (like GURPS and reskinned Star Wars FFG), but ever since Halo 4/5/Infinite none of my friends give a shit about Halo anymore.

Lancer is a masochistic exercise in engaging yourself the more you read it's "lore" (the author's political soapboxing) despite the system itself being really solid.
>>
>>93934324
You missed the general, reddit frog.
>>
File: Raleigh.jpg (277 KB, 1280x1656)
277 KB
277 KB JPG
>>93935233
I refuse to believe Lancer's lore was written by the same people who did the rest of the game. Everything from the mechanics part of the game, including the actual art, paints this picture of a gritty untamed galaxy where mechs are these battle-scarred jury-rigged things that have seen years of improvised repairs and patching...

Then you get to the actual world and find out 90% of the galaxy is under the control of a unified super-goverment that effectively has infinite resources (somehow), has solved every major problem facing human society (somehow), and provides all its citizens with a standard of life that surpasses the rich of our current day (somehow). But also the Union super-goverment also has the strongest military ever (somehow) and most advanced science (somehow) and super-powerful AI that can simulate the future (somehow). Did I mention this all happens in a society where nobody has to work? Yeah... Lancer's worldbuilding is absolute shit where the author just jerks himself off over the supposed utopia he thinks would happen if people only shared his views on things that have never once in human history played out like he thinks they would.
>>
>>93935376
Don't forget the part where mechs can literally be spit out of a matter-printer in just a couple of hours if they're destroyed, despite the art portraying many of them as heavily worn, scarred, and patched with improvised repairs and experimental home-made tech.

Imagine you could print a new car for pennies in about 2 hours, but you and everyone chose to still drive beat up old junkers like it was post-apocalypse and anything "new" or pristine was super rare. The dissonance between the mechanics/aesthetics and the actual setting lore is kinda like that.
>>
File: 3f7zck0nk7931.jpg (396 KB, 1024x783)
396 KB
396 KB JPG
>>93935442
>Don't forget the part where mechs can literally be spit out of a matter-printer in just a couple of hours if they're destroyed, despite the art portraying many of them as heavily worn, scarred, and patched with improvised repairs and experimental home-made tech.

And a Sherman tank could be assembled in less than an hour. Doesn't mean that the ones in the field, far from the factory / 3D printer, are factory fresh.

You can print a new car for pennies at one factory in China and one in LA. You live in Botswana. What does your car look like, when it has to serve as a community defense bunker, chicken coop, and all-nite bar?
>>
File: 1633974000402.jpg (235 KB, 1100x900)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
As someone who did a ton of L5R and Battletech back in the day, you just have to figure out which writers/arcs/eras you like and try to push the rest from your mind.

If a franchise/game is around for decades there will eventually be some lore or side-story that you hate.
>>
>>93935376
It sounds like a more retarded version of Rimworld. Only in Rim, intergalactic government is impossible due to the extreme distance of space so the Diamond Worlds are distant entities.

>>93935514
Didn't take long for the Discord to take notice. You know, it's pretty desperate to be advertising here on anon of all places.
>>
File: 0e1.png (626 KB, 524x786)
626 KB
626 KB PNG
>>93937548
>Didn't take long for the Discord to take notice. You know, it's pretty desperate to be advertising here on anon of all places.
That's your rebuttal? Blaming discord boogeymen? Sad.
>>
>>93935376
Most of what you listed isn't actually true, but I don't blame you for thinking it is, because the base game's rule book does a fucking terrible job of actually presenting the setting. The supplementary books do a much better job at portraying a civilization where the galactic core worlds are a facade of what you described, but behind the scenes everything is falling apart and as soon as you move away from the core worlds everything is on the verge of imploding.

I still do think the matter printers are retarded as fuck though. They exist as a gameplay conceit, a way for the player characters to get new mechs easily if theirs are destroyed, but it's easy enough to just remove them from the lore with some relatively homebrew tweaks and just say the party has rich patrons or something instead.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.