[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1689078274983681.png (2.43 MB, 3296x1830)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB PNG
I've played TES scrolls, but I never picked up on any of the crazy lore people say is there. Tell me some.
>>
>>94165868
Meridia is the daedric girl for me
>>
File: 1575777116266.png (1004 KB, 2000x1102)
1004 KB
1004 KB PNG
Don't base the lore on shitty waifufag webcomics.
>>
this esl fag has been a catastrophe for elder scrolls threads
>>
>>94165868
Azura is a cold bitch who planned a revenge plot that required manipulating fate itself that resulting in an entire pantheon of gods dying (either by your hand or atrophy). That nigger made her a meme for retards.
>>
>>94165868
Rather than retcon their inconsistencies with the appearance of khajit over the years, they invented an elaborate system whereby khajit look like housecats, elves, humanoid cats, or giant cat-yetis depending on the phase of the moon when they're born.
>>
File: GZnHSN2XoAAc0XT.jpg (434 KB, 3000x933)
434 KB
434 KB JPG
I feel half of the extremely interesting stuff from Morrowind has either been dropped completely or reworked into pointlessness because the writers that came after Kirkbride just didn't have any fucking idea what to do with it.
>>
>>94167021
Pretty much.
>>
>>94165868
On the dissappearance of the dwarves or dwemer:
All of the Elder Scrolls possibly takes place in a dream, when someone realises this there's two options, either they zero sum and realise they're not real hence they dissappear like the dwarves or they achieve chim which is where you realise you can do whatever you want since it's a dream and none of this has to make sense which is what Vivec did, I could be wrong about some fine details since all of this was told to me long ago by a trio of Australian men
>>
>>94167021
Kirkbride is a fucking overrated hack and I'm glad we're moving away from his bullshit.
>>
File: mw_concept_16.gif (712 KB, 2300x1200)
712 KB
712 KB GIF
>>94167129
He's a better artist anyway.
>>
Why does nobody mention godhead anymore? Not vogue?
I tried reading the UESP wiki the other day and it's really annoying that ESO infects nearly all the articles. Some of the geopolitics is passable but anything about characters. especially villains or creatures, is straight trash.
>>
>>94167076
>trio of Australian men
>Australian
You were probably told lies then
>>
>>94167021
Bethesda in general barely has any idea what the fuck they're doing at any given time.
>>
>>94167021
>>94167129
>>94167139

I don't know much about ES, but I just started playing Morrowind after having only played Skyrim, and holy shit the writing and world are so much better.

It's really baffling to me that the elder scrolls world can have shit like Morrowind in it but also the lazy not-vikings and even worse literally-roman-empire.
>>
>>94165868
You probably meant to post on /vrpg/.
>>
File: GCeEgvdXkAAeWOg.png (147 KB, 387x400)
147 KB
147 KB PNG
>>94167190
I mean really what can do you with the Godhead concept that translates into the game somehow? CHIM as a concept is a sort of interface for that but it's deliberately meta and isn't something the player character can ever do otherwise the game would be come either trivial or have to change entirely to suit that level of power. Honestly of all the stuff from Morrowind that people bemoan going by the wayside the Godhead and CHIM going away or at least fading into obscurity is the one thing I can understand why. It's a concept too lofty to really have any meaning on the actual games themselves.
>>
>>94168600
I meant in online discussions.
I disagree that it can't be written in, even if it's just small tidbits and easter eggs.

Anyway what /tg/ related TES games are there? I know about Scrollhammer and UESRPG. I'm making a rules lite TTRPG because I even though UESRPG is cool, I refuse to play a game with so many pages.
>>
>>94168436
>not-vikings
Celts have been on the decline for some time after Braveheart and the Nords were an early victim of this.
>literally-roman-empire
They had a lot more of that in Morrowind though. The Imperial legion in that game is in many ways outright Marian Reform legionnaires in roman forms. One of the most on the nose aspects is how like the second Orcs were accepted into the empire this nation of people ended up as the racial majority of imperial legion troops being dumped into a shithole province like Vvardenfell on the off chance that the sixth house or the Telvanni gets any more uppity, which is how the roman empire handled barbarian tribes for centuries. There is a LOT of historical parallelism in TES and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing when Oblivion overcorrected and warped it into a much more generic medieval fantasy setting.
>>
>>94167076
The dwarves' situation wasn't exactly the same as zero-summing. That's something you achieve via CHIM, and it's a very personal thing by definition. Doing something like that species-wide doesn't really mesh with what we've been told about it.

That said, it's entirely possible they deliberately chose to return to being spirits rather than play Lorkhan's game. It's also possible they joined themselves to Numindium, intentionally becoming part of it. The dwemer were not trying to become a god, because they were almost violently antitheistic. Not 'God doesn't exist' Atheists, I'm talking 'We must kill God' style anti-theists.

One thing that's also implied (and my favorite option) is that the dwemer never actually existed, and what was attempted via the Heart of Lorkhan was to retroactively exist themselves, but failed.

>>94166705
As a bonus, the Wood Elves as a species can sometimes enter this state called the Wild Hunt where they become amorphous, shapeshifting monstrosities. Eldritch abominations, basically. Problem is, not all of them return back to the shape they once were. when the Wild Hunt is over.

It's implied that this is responsible for a lot of monsters in the setting... and if you look into the lore, there's also a strong inspiration this is why the Khajiit exist too.

Azura tied a clan of shapeless bosmer to the moons, so their shapeshifting would have actual limits and restrictions based on the phases of the moon, rather than being stuck as horrible monsters. A big hint is that the most humanoid forms of khajiit look almost exactly like bosmer.
>>
File: typical day in tamriel.png (1.98 MB, 776x1024)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB PNG
>>94165868
>>
>>94168977
>One thing that's also implied (and my favorite option) is that the dwemer never actually existed, and what was attempted via the Heart of Lorkhan was to retroactively exist themselves, but failed.
But there's a dwermer NPC in Morrowind?
>>
>>94167021
>>94167129
I like some things that Kirkbride wrote a lot. I think some things Kirkbride wrote are fucking drivel.
>>
>>94168600
CHIM is when you open the console commands and also when you start modding. It has everything to do with the games always because you are the Godhead, the one dreaming up the world. As soon as you stop playing, it doesn't exist.
>>
>>94169787
Who was, notably, in Oblivion when all that shit went down. He could be as daedric as anything else. As Zero-Summing and Chim shows, what you know and how you perceive yourself is part of what makes you you.

Yagrum Bagarn thinks, and so he is.
>>
>>94168977
if they zero summed themselves then where the fuck did the tens of thousands of degenerate snow elf slaves come from?
>>
>>94169994
the fucked up degenerate falmer came first
then a handful of them spontaneously developed sentience, convinced themselves they were the original falmer as a way to cope with reality, built a secret monastery, and were promptly killed and eaten by the degenerate slave falmer
>>
>>94167190
"Godhead" was always a strange term, I'm not exactly certain how it even gained its meaning as people seem to understand it in TES lore. Every instance of the term being used in the lore contextually just applies the actual dictionary definition of "godhead."
I think most people have understandably switched to the term "Dreamer" in regards to the concept people used to call "The Godhead."
>>
File: 1719017023617723.png (715 KB, 640x1038)
715 KB
715 KB PNG
>>94168875
Vikings are not Celts lol. They fought against Celts.
As expected of someone who uses Braveheart as a cultural touchstone I suppose.
>>
>>94167021
Why do people watch female streamers, including the girl failures your pic is joking about?
>>
>>94165868
I dunno, ask >>>/v/
>>
>>94168977
>Azura tied a clan of shapeless bosmer to the moons, so their shapeshifting would have actual limits and

Man, Azura can't stop fucking with mortals, can she?
>>
File: j6tle0kzjpn61.jpg (1.92 MB, 1823x6451)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB JPG
>>94165868
Here's a handy chart that succinctly shows The Elder Scrolls deeper lore, theories and jokes; although some newer entries are missing.

Also, /tgesg/ thread?
>>
>>94168474
And so he did. Same artist.
>>
>>94168977
My theory is that the vanishing wasn't intentional, but Kagrenac knew exactly what he was doing and only failed because Nerevar interrupted. Note that the heart isn't capable of wholesale reality warping. The tribunal had years to go nuts with it, yet Nirn wasn't warped into a daedra-free futa paradise with mandatory Almalexia worship.

What it seems to do is work off of preexisting templates. ALMSIVI used the princes as a model for their godhood, while Dagoth Ur projected himself onto others. Kagrenac wanted to elevate the dwemer race, but he was too pious (in their way) to use the princes like that, as it would be admitting that they weren't already equals. Numidium was the solution to this problem.

>intended command for the heart is "Dwemer = Brass Gods"
>build Numidium because you need a Brass God to exist as a reference first
>miss the final critical swing that specifies plurality
>"Dwemer = Brass God (singular)"
>heart fuses the entire race into Numidium
>>
>>94166363
I thought Vivek killed her at the trial.
>>
>>94167076
HE JUST SMILED AND GAVE ME A VEGEMITE SANDWICH
>>
>>94171679
I would not put much, if any, stock into the trial of vivec beyond an interesting insight into the character.
>>
>>94168875
Give me a cyrodillic jungle or give me death
>>
File: no.jpg (1.34 MB, 974x5250)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
>>94171660
>>
I will never once read a single comic by that faggot.
>>
>>94171679
it’s pretty hard to kill a daedra in a way that matters
>>
>>94172143
That's pretty creepy.
>>
>>94168436
This is especially damning, considering how Morrowind NPCs are just text dispensers to whom you can only talk through hyperlinks. Yet some of them feel more alive and charming than 90% of what Bethesda shat out in Skyrim or, god forbid, Oblivion.
>>
>>94168436
Hey fuckass, just because something is weird doesn't make it good.

In the shimmering labyrinth of the Fractured Vale, the Quisquilii elves flit between realities like fireflies caught in a storm. Their bodies are adorned with fractal patterns that shift and swirl, reflecting not just the light but the very thoughts of those nearby. With eyes that resemble swirling galaxies, they see not just the present but the potential futures lurking in the corners of every moment. Their language is a dissonant symphony of laughter, sobs, and cryptic murmurs, where a simple greeting can unravel into a kaleidoscope of riddles that entangle the listener’s mind in delightful confusion. When they walk, it’s as if they float above the ground, their feet leaving traces of ephemeral colors that fade before anyone can comprehend their significance—like footprints in a dream.

At the core of their chaotic existence lies the Gossamer Wyrd, a pulsating orb that beats like a heart, containing the essence of countless realities, each more bizarre than the last. The Quisquilii believe that the orb breathes, inhaling the laughter of forgotten moments and exhaling the sorrow of unfulfilled dreams. Rituals surrounding the Gossamer Wyrd are both exhilarating and disorienting; participants consume sweets made from distilled hopes and dance in circles that spiral through dimensions, sometimes emerging with memories of lives they’ve never lived. Many who gaze into the orb return with their perceptions irrevocably altered, babbling about universes where shadows have their own ambitions or where time is a squishy substance that can be molded like clay. For the Quisquilii, losing one's mind is merely a gateway to deeper understanding—a beautiful embrace of the chaotic, the absurd, and the ineffably strange.
>>
>>94171660
Numidium is the ultimate cosmic janny who decided at his birth that his entire race must be extinguished as the cost for his existence.
In the Second Era Talos and Arctus tried to unite their will and use Numidium to fix the world. But Talos was evil and killed Arctus so that he could instead become a god. Numidium jannied again and created the Empire as an archontic soul prison to contain his miasma and prevent anyone from cheating their way into heaven under his jealous watch.
After four centuries of soul-imprisoning the Agent broke out of the cosmic labyrinth and repaired the Mantella so that the Empire could die and be reborn as the true god Talos who reshapes the world.
>>
>>94175195
Morrowind's system is unironically good, because 99% of the time the only thing you want to know from some random NPC is if they can dispense the knowledge of where something is, or if they have heard about whatever thing you have to fetch for your quest. In that context the hyperlink system is practical and efficient. It's more the fact that you can, and often have to, run up to some local and ask them where the train station is that makes the game feel natural. They just need some individual flavor to make them really pop, which some mods add. The problem with going for full voice acting is that these are games where being able to talk to everyone is a main conceit of the gameplay. So most people only end up with a handful of voice lines they'll just repeat, most of which will be useless, and which leaves no room for character development anyway.
>>
File: GORfBvVWkAA03UB.jpg (447 KB, 2000x1469)
447 KB
447 KB JPG
>>94170938
Because they've lost control of their lives.
>>
>>94170919
No but Celts are Vikings
>Like half the Scottish clans are Norse or Norman
>>
>>94175307
This is a question I've had for a while. In daggerfall the pantheon consists of the 8 divines, so when Talos Ysmir Zurin Septim appears as the 9th in Morrowind is that just a full on retcon or did the warp in the west retroactively make him a god upon his death?
>>
>>94166247
Friendly reminder there's no such thing as an "ESL".
>>
>>94175584
>not a single person on Earth speaks English as a second language
Reassuring.
>>
>>94175612
It's all an elaborate ruse.
>>
>>94175612
it true
>>
File: 1728611978126847.jpg (69 KB, 940x1024)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>94168875
>The Imperial legion in that game is in many ways outright Marian Reform legionnaires in roman forms. One of the most on the nose aspects is how like the second Orcs were accepted into the empire this nation of people ended up as the racial majority of imperial legion troops being dumped into a shithole province like Vvardenfell on the off chance that the sixth house or the Telvanni gets any more uppity, which is how the roman empire handled barbarian tribes for centuries
can you rephrase this for my brainlet mind to understand
>>
File: 1706267579957567.png (926 KB, 1024x699)
926 KB
926 KB PNG
>>94175478
No they aren't. They're Irish Gaelic. Some Clans can draw lineage to Viking settlers in the Islands and some coastal towns but they are still distinctly Gaelic. Norse settlers simply integrated.
You'll find Norse influence in entomology because the Vikings settled in colonies. But they converted and gave up their culture and didn't hold onto it.
Clans come later and the modern image of them is romanticised heavily.
You'll find a lot of completely made up bullshit with Scottish history because of the modern identity crisis where a lot of people, especially homegrown country vegetable historians have a hard on for rejecting anything Anglo. Also it's big business with Americans.
Don't forget the Picts too.
>>
>>94175772
I think he is saying that Orcs in the Imperial legion
are equivalent of mexicans in marines
>>
>>94167139
>ywn write lore as schizo or make art so stylish as Kirkbride
>>
>>94165868
Achieving CHIM means being able to use mods and save states! xD
>>
>>94170855
>"Godhead" was always a strange term, I'm not exactly certain how it even gained its meaning
kirkbrides literally just copied the idea from indian mythology and esotericism, along with most of the "wacky" ideas people credit to him.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahman
>In theistic schools, in contrast, such as Dvaita Vedanta, the nature of Brahman is held as eternal, unlimited, innately free, blissful Absolute, while each individual's Self is held as distinct and limited which can at best come close in eternal blissful love of the Brahman (therein viewed as the Godhead).[83]
>>
I like to play as an argonian wizard
>>
As good as the metaphysical stuff in TES is, the historical stuff is pretty lackluster.
>nothing happened for a thousand years
>and then a Cyrodiilic empire formed and took everything over
>and then Akavir invaded
>and then the Empire fell apart
>and then nothing happened for a thousand years
It's this over and over again.
That's not to say there's nothing good in there, it's just severely lacking in comparison.
>>
>>94176383
This, he took everything from Hinduism. Hindus aren't actually polytheists they're pantheists or monists and arguably have been for longer than any monotheisms have existed. All of the gods and everyone and everything everywhere is all part of a single capital "G" God, the all-encompassing divine universe.
>>
>>94176383
"Godhead" is not hindu terminology, its a word that means the essential being of God or gods.
>>
>>94176670
>it's just severely lacking in comparison
in comparison to what?
>>
>>94175772
Orcs are Germans but a bit more civilized.
>>
>>94176670
Yeah I like the games but the history/lore is really boring, no faction are interesting nor feels unique, the historical events are mostly irrelevant, even the deities and main historical figures are boring.

99% of all interesting stuff is from Tiber Septim insane plans and even the guy is a boring character personality wise.
>>
>>94167129
I feel the same way.
He's just competent. Not particularly good, but he can perform on a professional level. This stands in contrast to literally everyone else at Bethesda, who do not have one creative bone to share between their collective mass.
He only stands out at all because he's the only motherfucker who's ever been on the team who could world build his way out of a paper bag, but that doesn't make him good, just usably proficient.
>>
>>94168600
CHIM is literally the in-universe explanation for modding shit and using console commands. It became a setting concept at the point where they started releasing mod tools. That's not an accident.
>>
>>94167190
>>94168600
Is just a generic Dreamer God like Azathoth and Mana-Yood-Sushai.
>>
>>94172143
Elder Scrolls lore is so awesome man.
>>
>>94177062
ESO had absolutely fucking stellar lore. Yes it was rough at first, but once they got into the DLCs - Summerset and Greymoor and Craglorn and druid stuff is actually really interesting and enjoyable.
>>
>>94177137
Not quite, in that the Godhead isn't some being of unfathomable knowledge for those of us outside of that reality. It's not something like Azathoth. The Godhead is just a dude who got into a fight with another dude over a girl, and the entire cosmology is the dream that he's having about that conflict, which is where the entire anuic/padomeyic conflict that exists at the core of the setting comes from.

In short, the godhead is not unknowable, not even by the people inside of the dream.
>>
>>94172143
the fact that they're ghosts proves that they still exist retard
I hate midwit Elder Scrolls lore autists so much
>>
>>94177070
That's reddit loretuber shit thoughbeit.
>>
>>94177244
But they aren't ghosts, there's no definitive answer on exactly what they are, but other than some few exceptions, they didn't just get ghosted as a species the way that you get ghosts in some temples or places of deep regret in TES.
>>
>>94175525
I think it makes most sense when you consider the Warp in the West and Tiber Septim's activation of Numidium, to be two sides of the same event.
>>
>>94171660
>>94172143
I've always imagined the Dwemer disappearing as a kind of "ascended to a higher plane" sci-fi endgame thing
The idea that they accidentally deleted themselves when they made Numidium just makes me sad
>>
>>94176978
>Tiber Septim
Tiber is pretty boring beyond his metaphysical stuff. Reman and Uriel V are the only emperors that actually did anything interesting, mostly by virtue of being the only emperors that have more than 2 sentences written about them.
>>
>>94177336
That's not canon. That's Trainwiz being a retard.
>>
>>94177336
I do think the Numidium skin theory is actually somewhat undercut by Phineas Gestor's experiment in Skyrim where he recreates the doom drum event and manages to delete himself.

Given that his action seemed to have very little connection to Numidium, it's very possible that it was some other relation of the heart of Lorkhan that deleted the Dwemer, not specifically Numidium. Espescially since the heart of Lorkhan never actually went inside the Numidium.
>>
>>94170919
I was saying the Nords in Elder Scrolls were a lot more based on the Celts in older games than they are now you retard. Look at the Daggerfall Nords. The fucking BLUE FACEPAINT is from BRAVEHEART even though the Vikings didn't wear it!

Don't fucking @ me on history you dungbrain.
>>
>>94177224
They just had to stomp all over the stuff people actually cared about first.

The second they put the Dunmer and the Norns in the same faction "Because like, WoW haz um factions duesn't it? hurr hurr" I lost all interest in the game, and never will.

No, wait, it was when they had an argonian sick with the flu that the argonians were literally all immune to.

Wait, no, it was when they said "You can't make architecture out of poetry" when you literally can, that's what magic is for.
>>
>>94168977
Don't you meet a dwemer at one point, the fat guy in the spider mech?
>>
>>94175772
Orcs in Daggerfall are a hostile nation of people who are considered beneath Argonians and Khajit. They reached a sort of armistice with Uriel Septim during Daggerfall (don't ask me to explain the ending, there's dragon fuckery) and Uriel immediately shipped as many orcs as possible out to the frontiers of the empire.

The roman empire had a habit doing something like this by admitting formerly enemy barbarians into it on the condition that they then fought for the empire against other barbarian tribes. This kinda sorta continued as a policy in Rome LONG after the Empire's collapse, with the Pope announcing a crusade against the muslims, which would be spearheaded by Normans, who were the sons and grandsons of scandinavian vikings who had converted to christianity a little over a century earlier.

The policy of admitting barbarians into an empire to immediately dump them on the other side of the world in some unstable shithole frontier is prime material for hilarity to ensue, and a lot of the more tolerable parts of the Imperial Legion questlines in Morrowind (The weakest full faction questline, Bravo Todd) focuses on orcs starting shit and being a problem.
>>
>>94175252
what the fuck was the point of this post?
>>
>>94177401
You mean Arniel Gane.

But just like the Dwemer bound themselves to Numidium, Arniel completed the ritual and did bind himself - to you, since you can summon his shade. He doesn't exist any more, save that he is part of your "essence".
>>
>>94177599
Yeah he was in another dimension when Kagrenac used his tools on the heart. It was all part of an epic prank on that guy in particular actually.
>>
>>94177281
They are, actually.
>>
>>94167190
Godhead is largely irrelevant.
Also TES character writing was never good, the last well written character was in oblivion.
To contrast that, ESO probably had the most personally compelling villain in a long time in King Kurog
>>
>>94167129
>>94167139
Kirkbride was to Bethesda what French Animation is to American Animation.
>>
>>94178036
I should rewatch Fantastic Planet
>>
>>94167808
It's gotten so bad that Bethesda has said that there is no way Elder Scrolls 6 will meet any expectations for fans at launch and they have said they don't really know what to do with it at this point.

Bethesda REALLY doesn't seem to have a solid understanding of their own IPs in regards to lore, world building, and such which is why they have never been consistent in any regard.

As an aside, Morrowind was a terrible game in MOST aspects. Oblivion is still the best overall game in their catalog.
>>
I don't know what TES6 will be like at launch, but I know the armor will look exactly like Skyrim and ESO.
>>
>>94178073
Oblivion was peak
>>
>>94178086
Yup, it was.

Morrowind was the absolute best in the series in regards to writing, world building, and lore. Everything else was either kinda jank or just outright bad.

Oblivion had worse world building, writing, and lore, however it was better in every other regard and it wasn't bad in any of its writing and such, just not as good. The only thing Skyrim did better was combat. Oblivion was just the best all round game in the series.
>>
>>94172143
No sympathy. Enjoy being soultrapped Godless pigs.
>>
>>94167021
>>94170938
Wh.. what is this a reference to?
This is too many layers deep
>>
>>94178073
>>94178086
>>94178140
You are nostalgia plebs who can only imitate the act of forming comparative thoughts.

Oblivion is easily one of the weakest entries in the series and has extremely shit design. It is THE boring shitslop entry of Todd's big three and only has your years of happy, retarded youth propping it up.

The game is the definition of a generic downgrade.
>>
>>94178086
>>94178140
Oblivions fucking sucks and I can say this without any nostalgia goggles blinding me because I played it for the first time just last year. Everything about it is shit, the ONLY halfway decent bit of content is Shivering Isles and no, the Dark Brotherhood isn't "great" it immediately descends into trite stupidity after you complete the first section of it.
>>
>>94178073
>>94178140
I really hate this sort of dumbfuck opinion. You really think people still play this ancient game solely because of non-gameplay elements? Just to name one thing, Oblivion is pretty well known for its ridiculous level-scaling, to the point where bandits start appearing with endgame gear. This is better design than Morrowind, according to you? This is an example of Morrowind being a terrible game?

You're just saying shit to be edgy without having thought about it for two seconds.
>>
>>94178429
>worse than skyrim
Come on now
>>
>>94165868
There is a seperate board for video games newfriend.
>>
>>94179032
>Come on now
That's what your mom said.
Yes, it's worse. Skyrim's problems can't hold a candle to the myriad of issues with Oblivion's design and style, and even when it is worse, it's worse because it continued a trend set by Oblivion. Both are inferior to Morrowind.
>>
>>94172143
I don't have time to play the Elder Scrolls game. All I've really done is watch the video by Sseth.

But I want more of this shit, whatever the hell this image is meant to explain and whatever the fuck you people are talking about in this thread that I have no clue about. Can someone please tell me what to do like read a wiki or watch some videos or if there's some manual with longwinded lore in it like it used to be. Preferably not videos where people make up headcanon bullshit like linking everything in Dark Souls to absolutely everything in every game after it.
>>
>>94178140
>>94178073
I disagree
Oblivion had map fast travel, the compass and terrible dungeons.
Morrowind had actually pretty good „fantasy adventurer „ quests, just go to some dungeon and kill bandits or daedra worshippers.
Oblivion had the best combat out of the box and Arguably good quest design, but it’s not better at everything
>>
>>94179629
Oh yeah I forgot about the shitty level scaling in oblivion
>>
>>94175792
>entomology
>>
>>94168436
the lack of attributes does make levelling easier (too autistic not to efficient level in Morrowind) but it removes so much character from the races, in Morrowind Nords are 100% frost resistant which is why they're often in their underwear, by Skyrim it's down to like 50% I believe, Morrowind makes you actually think of what race to play with which class since your starting stats can differ so much, not having them removes some of that although it does allow you to roleplay more I guess since every race can do every thing from the start
>>94168977
The dwarves accepting the gods' existence while also fully rejecting their worship tickles me pink
>>94171691
Not related to the thread but it pains me how every person that tries vegemite eats like a whole spoonfull, Im not even Australian and I know it's meant to be a thin spread on toast or bagels
>>
>>94179368
If you really have zero knowledge then I'd recommend you start with these three core texts
>Pocket Guide to the Empire: First Edition
This text outlines the history and cultures of most of the races of Tamriel within the context of Tiber Septim's conquests and flavored with the biases of the time. Basically the groundwork of the setting.
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Pocket_Guide_to_the_Empire,_1st_Edition

>The Monomyth
This text is a study detailing the creation of the world by comparing the similarities between various creation myths across Tamriel. Crucial introductory knowledge to metaphysical aspect of the lore.
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Monomyth

>Varieties of Faith in the Empire
Text that is nothing more than a compendium of the most important gods worshiped across Tamriel with descriptions. Surprisingly insightful information regarding that will be useful for when you dig deeper into the lore.
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Varieties_of_Faith...

Oh, and read this too
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/General:Cosmology
Details the structure of the universe.

None of these are likely to blow your mind initially, but they are important to establishing what the lore is about and what its mysteries are.
>>
>>94165901
Something this chart misses is that Talos (god) is actually recreation of the Convention, consisting of the amalgam of Tiber Septin, Zurin Arctus and Wulfharth inexactly mantling Akatosh, Lorkhan and Trinimac.
This allows the Mantella to power the Numidium as it is in itself a recreation of Heart of Lorkhan.
This is part of the reason why Thalmor wishes to get rid or Talos, as the Convention is a stone for one of the towers that keep the world together.
>>
>>94178140
making something weird doesn't make it good you fucking rube

In the enchanted realm of Glimmerglen, the peculiar inhabitants known as Quibblekin thrive amidst floating islands and singing mushrooms. Each dawn, they don shimmering cloaks woven from the laughter of fireflies and gather in the Glimmering Grove to participate in the grand Fluffernutter Festival. Here, they engage in a whimsical sport called Bubble-Bouncing, where they leap atop enormous, inflatable jellybeans while reciting tongue-twisting spells. The victor receives the prestigious title of Wobble-Wizard, along with a sparkling scepter made of candy cane crystals that grants them the power to summon rainbows and summon forth the mystical Ticklebeasts—gigantic creatures with the ability to make anyone burst into laughter with a single tickle.

As night falls, the Quibblekin celebrate with the Festival of Whimsical Whiskers, where they adorn their pet Noodlehounds—dogs with pasta-like tails and googly eyes—with fantastical hats made of enchanted glitter. Each hat grants the Noodlehounds the ability to speak in riddles, making for some truly nonsensical conversations. During this event, they embark on a moonlit parade through the Glimmering Glade, tossing enchanted confetti that rains down as sparkling stars. With each twirl and hop, the Quibblekin dance under the twinkling skies, celebrating the absurdity of their world where gravity is optional, and every moment is a delightful adventure of silliness and enchantment!

^This is what Morrowind is
>>
>>94178036
Completely pointless, irrelevant, and up its own ass, not appealing to anyone with an IQ of over 80?
>>
So, what do you think: Are Tsaesci genuine snakemen, humans with scales, human vampires and shapeshifters or asians with 7 layers of yellow peril propaganda?
>>
>>94177531
>Dunmer
>Norns
sigh

If you actually read the lore instead of having a retard's knee-jerk reaction to it, you would realize that it makes perfect sense.

You're conflating the Khanaten Flu (which the Argonians are immune to) and the Thrassian Plague (which they are not).

You can't make architecture out of poetry. Nothing in the lore suggests that you can. Even Tonal Architecture which would be closest can't.
>>
>>94180010
Snakewomen with big tiddies.
>>
>>94179629
Map fast travel was shit. Give me Morrowind fast travel any day.
>>
>>94180010
I'm gonna say standard asians, easiest way for Bethesda to eventually introduce them and go ''see we have asian representation'', I think Oblivion/ESO even showed them already
>>
>>94165868
The Elder Scrolls Scrolls?
>>
>>94180034
I can understand being a secondary to 40k because the actual hobby requires thousands of dollars of overpriced plastic, but being a fucking secondary to SKYRIM? Come the fuck on.
>>
>>94165868
Does anybody have screencaps of that theory that believes Miraak to be working on his godly ascension, and creating a pantheon of his own gods along the way?
>>
>>94180352
The image you refer to is basically lore sophistry. I'd recommend forgetting it exists.
>>
>>94179368
go at least play Skyrim a bit so you have some context for all the lore you are trying to absorb
>>
>>94179666
Mistakes like that really bug me.
>>
>>94177531
>>94180023
The poetry thing wasn't bad because people expected them to somehow make literal poetry buildings, it was bad because it showed a willingness if not eagerness to water down the setting. Instead of trying to work something practical out of the old fanciful descriptions, they just dismiss the whole thing as complete nonsense in favor of utterly generic disneyland castles. They didn't even bother to magic the place up a bit by having stuff levitating around here and there.
>>
>>94180003
>shitting on his own writing pretending he's shitting on someone else's
That's fucking hilarious. And not only did you enter a thread that angered you, then you returned to it to be angry all over again.
>>
>>94179032
nayrt, but yeah. Skyrim's obviously gutted the RPG elements to the extent that distinct builds barely exist and every playthrough tends towards the monobuild, but as an action-adventure game it plays very well. Conversely, Oblivion maintains a lot of the RPG elements, but implements them incredibly poorly. Oblivon's a really crap RPG, while Skyrim's at least a pretty good action game
>>
>>94180614
Shame, I thought that was a cool bit that could elevate an otherwise pretty boring DLC.
>>
>>94177322
How so?
>>
>>94180005
But enough about american cartoons.
>>
>>94180653
Nigga you stupid. Summerset has literal floating waterfalls, illusionary forests, and mages using memory stones to taunt people from the past.
>>
>>94165868
Basically all the lore of the game is told/written as it was written in-universe, meaning that all the portrayals of gods, historical events, etc that don't have in-game can only known through second-hand, unreliable narrators, in-game books from people with deep cultural biases and straight up contradictory accounts on how things happen or happened. Gods can be seen as good or evil by different races, intent and reason for big events to happen are muddled and straight put not known. Even the creation of the universe was basically the fruit of subterfuge and one god pretty much misleading the other gods into creating the material world, even if they can argue if it was with good or bad intentions. It's a really fun setting to play around with the idea of gods and different cultures changing and lying about what the world really is and how intent is moot when actions have massive and dire consequences.

Shame Bethesda doesn't want to explore that potential worldbuilding depth in any way, shape or form, so Morrowind probably will be the last time we'll see how in-depth this type of setting can get with their in-universe lore.
>>
>>94180902
I'm not saying the entire expansion was mudcore, just that Alinor's architecture (which is what the poetry quote was addressing) and general feel was too grounded. They don't use the magical furnishings in the cities, and there's no sense that people are using magic in their day to day lives. People are sweeping streets, hauling crates, squishing grapes, and doing construction work with pure physical labor. And of course they don't have goblin slaves or orc man-mounts. Also half the marble is crumbling for some reason.

Nothing about it feels uniquely Altmer or even elven. You could plop it into any fantasy MMO, fill it with snooty humans and no one would bat an eye.
>>
>>94177336
Theres no canon explication.

My own theory is that they became orcs
>>
There's a secret third state to the chim/zero summing isn't there? If you somehow get out of the dream and see it from the side you discover the true name of god and become the dreamer of your own universe?
>>
>>94179666
My apologies, Satan.
>>
>>94181727
It's the first step in a 6 step path. The path to godhood. It's a bit unclear what that actually means though and what the purpose is. Sometimes it seems to be about "mantling" which is achieving godhood by merging with the deities. Sometimes it means becoming the godhead.
>>
>>94178073
Considering the big brains at Bethesda refuse to use developement documents because it's "too slow"(yeah Starfield's dev cycle wasn't fucking forever), even if they did have a solid idea it would still be all over the place because no one has any idea of what anyone else is doing at any given time.
>>
>>94181727
Amaranth
>>
>>94179932
Thanks a lot.

>>94180622
I tried playing Oblivion like 15 years ago but it felt like such a shit game I just put it down. And all the Todd memes discouraged me from touching anything he touched but I'll fire up Skyrim just to see what it's like.
>>
>>94181727
Above CHIM, there's Amaranth. The escape from a dream that makes you into a god of your own.
>>
>>94166363
Azura simply believed she was responsible for any of that, in truth their were just a tool for Lorhkan to save the world (again). People see earnest naivete like that and find it charming, especially when pretty much every other god is insane, evil, apathetic, or dead.
>>
traditional games
>>
>>94184498
uhhhhh did anyone here play the Modiphius game?
>>
>>94184587
is it cross-compatible with Modiphius Fallout game? both should be running on the same engine...
>>
What WAS lorkhan's goal in creating the material world anyway, the mer call him the trickster god I know but was it really 'just a prank bro'?
>>
>>94184619
inst he the god of change and death, he needed a world of change and death
>>
>>94184619
The spirits before the world were trapped, imprisoned. They were much greater than the world, but we're free. Creating Mundus, or "Arena" and taking on more restrictions set the circumstances and board for the chance to become truly free and break away and go beyond even what they were before creation.
>>
>>94165868
>I've played TES scrolls, but I never picked up on any of the crazy lore people say is there.
This is unironically like saying you saw Iron Man once and you don't know why everyone thinks comic book storylines are complicated.
>Tell me some.
not really here to spoonfeed you, also this is /tg/ not /vg/
...but fine
dark elf girls literally go through a phase for about a hundred years where they're gigantic sluts who will fuck anything.
>>
>300 books of 1300 pages of text in Morrowind
Holy shit.

Did people actually read everything in Morrowind? How the hell could you tell if you were reading something new in Oblivion or Skyrim.

Do the people who played Oblivion or Skyrim as their first Elder Scrolls game even read everything? I'm just only now realizing how much of a gaming phenomenon ES3 to ES5 were. Did Morrowind just lay down such an unshakable foundation that Todd couldn't fuck up despite producing broken dysfunctional games. I don't understand the Todd memes anymore. I thought the man was a villain but he controlled what seems to be one of the most lore dense properties in gaming history. Did people just keep giving him money despite how many times he lied to them. Was ES just that strong? There's no question Square and Blizzard utterly shit the bed and Fallout is just stupid now, that much I know intimately but is the ES franchise the same?
>>
I don't think I follow the whole creation myth of the TES universe, it's got like the yin and yang God's who mantle down to slavish and lorkhaj eventually right? But there's also another deity who nirn is supposed to be named after?
>>
>>94168977
So the Khajiit being Mer isn't just something the Altmer made up to include them into the Dominion?
>>
>>94185266
>I don't understand the Todd memes anymore. I thought the man was a villain
>Was ES just that strong?
Todd Howard made a lot of very shrewd decisions. His experience as the project lead for TES Redguard no doubt humbled him, and taught some very valuable lessons about how to get by in the industry. That paid off heavily from Morrowind to Skyrim, where it seemed like each new game took Bethesda to newer and newer heights (no small feat given how utterly fucked they appeared to be going into Morrowind). Getting cosy with Microsoft and giving XBox players increasing priority in the game design, the shenanigans with acquiring the Fallout license, the early adoption of digital DLC, the marketing blitzes where he'd stretch the truth so thin you could see sunlight through it, etc. are all easy things to criticise from the perspective of a CRPG grognard, but you can't deny that Bethesda came out on top from each of them. By all accounts, the problem is just that, after the absurd success of Skyrim, they bought into their own bullshit and believed they could do no wrong. So now shrewd decisions are giving way to overconfidence in their own infallibility, and the projects have all ballooned to a point where internal communication is breaking down. TES6 will likely go one of two ways; either they take on board lessons from Fallout 76 and Starfield, do some soul searching and really try to fix the foundational cracks, or they just carry on as they have been for the last decade and it comes out a damp squib that completely kills interest in the series (outside of the hardcore kernel of fanboys).
>>
>>94185738
I feel as though there is no money or leadership in gaming that understands exactly what made Witcher 3 or Baldur's Gate 3 successes. I'm sure some will try and puzzle it out and make an attempt at the soul-searching but the subordinates they send on the task are not nerd-literate enough to really land on the secret sauce that is "it's just good". The problem with brain drains in industries is that it can get bad enough that you can't even buy the expertise even if you were willing to pay for it and in creative industries it's even harder it's not like a transferable skill like engineering or process control.

The shrewdness you say Todd has carries a man but those are business decisions, and you can find competent businessmen anywhere - they have a very universal transferable skillset. The problem is that Todd in all likelihood doesn't know what gamers want and he has not cultivated anybody below him to know that or him. In all likelihood he's just going to follow the same formula and tank TES6 because if there's anything I know is that these people hate losing sleep. They are not going back to the world where they had to manage people and worry before going to sleep.

Look at Valve. Arguably they've done nothing of note between now and Portal 2 except shrewdly acquire DotA, which they've left a disgusting melted pile of (profitable) garbage. The idea that they are working on HL3 or Ep.3 or whatever the fuck is laughable. Valve is the very definition of not losing sleep and they will just burn money over and over and won't be accountable for losing it because they're private. Todd is more accountable but he's not going to lose anymore sleep than Gabe.
>>
>>94185877
>Look at Valve. Arguably they've done nothing of note between now and Portal 2 except shrewdly acquire DotA, which they've left a disgusting melted pile of (profitable) garbage. The idea that they are working on HL3 or Ep.3 or whatever the fuck is laughable. Valve is the very definition of not losing sleep and they will just burn money over and over and won't be accountable for losing it because they're private. Todd is more accountable but he's not going to lose anymore sleep than Gabe.
What does this mean
>>
>>94175354
everyone being voice acted and its consequences were disastrous for gamerkind
>>
>>94185877
>I feel as though there is no money or leadership in gaming that understands exactly what made Witcher 3 or Baldur's Gate 3 successes.
Witcher 3: had hype from Witcher 2 being a very successful story-focused ARPG, promised to combine the detailed story and characters with expanded gameplay mechanics and a gorgeous open world adventuring experience, succeeded well enough that people bought in
Baldur's Gate 3: again had massive hype from the combination of Larian + D&D, delivered build autism for the guys and romance autism for the girls, wrapped into a story with a decent amount of choice and consequence that romps through the most "iconic" parts of the Forgotten Realms

I will admit that the last Bethesda game I actually played was Skyrim, but I've heard that Starfield and the newer Fallout games have been pretty mediocre. In the case of TES VI, the hype is working against Bethesda, since it's been so long since the last entry and Skyrim was the game that set the standard that the Witcher 3 and BG3 were trying to beat. The biggest problem most people had with Skyrim was that is was broad but about as deep as a puddle. Instead of chasing some radical new game mechanic or technical advancement to sell TES VI, Bethesda needs to make a game that's as intuitive as Skyrim, but that has enough mechanical complexity underneath to provide replayabilty, and much more detailed and divergent writing. The living aspects of the world (non-story NPCs, player reputation, romance options, owning a house, etc) can't just be useless novelties or systems to be exploited anymore, they have to actually work. This may require killing some sacred cows, like ubiquitous quest markers, or the concept of a main storyline and a destined main character or >>94185947 but it will at least create an experience that is unique from what other AAA RPGs are offering now.
>>
>>94185461
No, they were legit Mer.
>>
>>94181310
You clearly didn't play the game then.
>>
>>94183876
oblivion is that one friend who by all accounts should not be as popular as they are cuz he's ugly, short into weird things and smells funny but through sheer power charisma has friends and a gf, Morrowind's flaws are overshadowed by its worldbuilding/roleplaying mechanics, Skyrim's flaws are overshadowed by it's atmosphere/gameplay loop, Oblivion's in the middle somewhere and gets by on pure charm
>>
>>94185444
Iirc there's 2 supreme beings, Anu and Padomay, Anu is stagnancy and rigidness, Padomay is chaos and change, padomay's descendant Lorkhan tricked the aedra into givign up part of their power to create the world and its laws, one of Anu's descendants, Auriel, got really mad and had his knight Trinimac kill Lorkhan, Elves (minus the dark elves) are generally more Anuic in thought and see creation as a limit, believing themselves to be divine spirits who seek to return to being godlike either through ascension and self improvement, or through destroying the world depending on ONE schizo theory everyone's just repeating, men generally (minus the redguards) see creation as a gift, they view Lorkhan (whom they often call Shor or Shezzar) as their lifegiver and champion god, this is why people generally complain about the Nords worshipping Talos in Skyrim, he's a big deal to them sure but Shor is their original creator god so to see him be sidelined and barely mentioned is an odd lore change, that's the rough edges of the creation story lore, it's not super important for any role playing characters you make unless you want them to be more involved in the deeper esoteric lore
>>
File: 1668496466199281.jpg (701 KB, 750x997)
701 KB
701 KB JPG
There is a reason why Yagrum Bagarn survived, and it is not because he was in the outer planes. There is a reason why he knows the Tools of Kagrenac better than any other.
Who else would survive the Fall of the Dwemer but its Architect?
>>
>>94181727
There's a "Fourth" one as well, which takes a much more terrifying path. And it all starts with misinterpreting I AM AND I ARE ALL WE as I AM AND YOU ARE ALL ME
>>
>>94186569
eggsplain
>>
>>94186883
Solipsism is a broken pathway to inverse-immortality and pseudo-godhood.
>>
>>94179987
>tower bullshit
No.
>>
>>94186128
>hype from Witcher 2 being a very successful story-focused ARPG
>combination of Larian + D&D
>romps through the most "iconic" parts of the Forgotten Realms
I agree with what you've said but the problem is these things are not what brought mainstream people in. Mainstream gamers made the game a success but they didn't give a single shit about these things before they started the game nor did they at the end. They won't even know Larian has basically dissolved their partnership with Wizards. They bought Cyberpunk just because of Witcher but they did not identify all the ways Cyberpunk failed to have all the qualities that made Witcher excellent.

And the fact you've made this mistake is the same reason why these people in companies analyzing success make these mistakes. They think it's about some preexisting property or hype when in fact it's just more basic and universal qualities like the romances and choice and consequence.
>>
>>94177233
this, the player character is the Dreamers self insert into his fantasy.
>>
>>94168977
>>94171660
I always thought they were send to the distant future by Lorkhan where they will help the Shezarrine to save the world from a future time-related doomsday scenario.
>>
>>94188823
Lorkhan is inactive since his defeat, the dwemer are not Sithis-fanboys anyway and the concept of a Shezzarrine is on the level of all this tower bullshit.
Sorry, not buying your speculation.
>>
>>94188867
>Lorkhan is inactive since his defeat
Yes but I always felt like it was implied he was still either conscious somehow or that everything was still going according to his plans. Plus his heart seems to be sentient which could be either him in a reduced form or still loyal to him.
>>
>>94187523
You can't sell a game just on hype because eventually reviews will come out and everyone will know it's garbage. But the video game market is so saturated that every truly big game needs some kind of narrative behind "why should I care about this?" More experienced and invested gamers are the ones that make these narratives, yes, but they disseminate them to normies through word of mouth and media like youtube and twitch. TES VI doesn't have to worry about any of this though, "It's the sequel to Skyrim" will sell it as long Todd and friends can actually deliver a good game.
>>
IS all this bullshit about CHIM and zerosuming just Kirkbride failing to wrap his head around simple and straight forward lore of Glorantha?
>>
>Ysmir the Forefather, Volume IV
>At the end of his life, Ysmir, who had ruled the peoples for over a thousand years in the time before history, the time of myth, sought a burial place and death befitting a king of men and dragons.
>And when they reached the place, they found as the boy promised, a single stone. And Ysmir, who was by now very old, laid at the foot of the stone and was taken up into the stars.
>The champions and housecarls looked up into the heavens and saw their king, the great Warrior, riding across the sky. And he was accompanied by three servants, a Lord, his Lady, and his mighty Steed.

I was confused by this shit, is that an alternate version of Talos life and ascension to godhood? A prophecy? Because it's very similar however it add a far longer reign than 81 years plus 5 people are send the heavens by the stone rather than just Tiber(Ysmir), Wulfharth(the Lord) and Zurin(a servant)
>>
>>94185461
No the Khajiit are not elves, this is a lorelet trap
>>
>>94190034
Source?
>>
File: Spoiler Image (265 KB, 1255x681)
265 KB
265 KB JPG
>>94165868
The starting place for most people is the disappearance of the Dwemer and for various reasons I personally feel like it's the best place to start getting into the Deep Lore(tm) as someone who hasn't studied it much. Picrel is a pretty good explanation if you don't want to do your own digging.

>>94165901
This is probably my all-time favorite TES lore image

>>94168436
Morrowind is more verbose but its overall writing is not that much better than Skyrim's on average. I do say on average as Skyrim has some serious stinkers like the Thieves Guild and Dawnguard, but things like the Daedric quests are largely excellent. People are far too quick to take the "old good new bad" approach with this series so Skyrim doesn't get a lot of credit for what it builds.
>>
>>94191079
Varieties of Faith in the Empire
>According to the Wood Elves, after the creation of the mortal plane everything was in chaos. The first mortals were turning into plants and animals and back again. Then Y'ffre transformed himself into the first of the Ehlnofey, or 'Earth Bones'. After these laws of nature were established, mortals had a semblance of safety in the new world, because they could finally understand it. Y'ffre is sometimes called the Storyteller, for the lessons he taught the first Bosmer. Some Bosmer still possess the knowledge of the chaos times, which they can use to great effect (the Wild Hunt).
Y’ffre is not just responsible for creating the Bosmer, Y’ffre is the laws of nature. He keeps all elves and men bound to their natural forms. Before this there was no definite form, that is knowledge the Bosmer retain with the Wild Hunt, a time before elves and men even existed. Do you understand what I am alluding to here?
The Khajiit’s own creation myth makes it clear that they are NOT bound by the laws of nature. They have no connection to Y’ffre. Their forms were instead bound to the moons by Azurah and because of this they’re shape is not singular and changes with each passing phase of the moon. The Khajiit are not elves, they are not even Ehlnofeic.
>>
>>94190034
Hmm I dunno, what did our prefered murder robot say about the Khaijit?
>>
>>94191487
He said “wait these aren’t elves?” and then went home.
>>
>>94191195
You're quoting the bosmer 'creation' myth, but ignoring the khajiit creation myth.

>[Nirni] filled herself with children, but cried because her favorite children, the forest people, did not know their shape.

>And Azurah came to her and said, "Poor Nirni, stop your tears. Azurah makes for you a gift of a new people." Nirni stopped weeping, and Azurah spoke the First Secret to the Moons and they parted and let Azurah pass. And Azurah took some forest people who were torn between man and beast, and she placed them in the best deserts and forests on Nirni. And Azurah in her wisdom made them of many shapes, one for every purpose. And Azurah named them Khajiit and told them her Second Secret and taught them the value of secrets. And Azurah bound the new Khajiit to the Lunar Lattice, as is proper for Nirni's secret defenders. Then Azurah spoke the Third Secret, and the Moons shone down on the marshes and their light became sugar.

>But Y'ffer heard the First Secret and snuck in behind Azurah. And Y'ffer could not appreciate secrets, and he told Nirni of Azurah's trick. So Nirni made the deserts hot and the sands biting. And Nirni made the forests wet and filled with poisons. And Nirni thanked Y'ffer and let him change the forest people also. And Y'ffer did not have Azurah's subtle wisdom, so Y'ffer made the forest people Elves always and never beasts. And Y'ffer named them Bosmer. And from that moment they were no longer in the same litter as the Khajiit.

According to the Khajiit, they and the Bosmer were both 'the forest people', Nirn's first children. Azurah took some, bound them to the lunar lattice, and then Y'ffre took more and made them into bosmer.

So the more accurate way to say it is that both Khajiit and Bosmer share a common ancestor- the forest people, the original wood elves.

I mean, how clearer can it get? The least catty khajiit form is described as 'a wood elf with cat ears'.
>>
AND HROL DID LOVE UNTO A HILLOCK
>>
>>94192093
I fucking hate how every single thing in Elder Scrolls is just another Elf.
>>
>>94192410
It's just beastfags doing the 'we wuz mer n sheiiit' routine to try and cope with the fact that their sole value on Nirn is as farm equipment
>>
I AM CYRODIIL COME
>>
>>94192093
No, I'm not ignoring anything. I am using another source to clarify specifically what is actually being said in the Khajiit creation myth.
As stated above, there were no man or mer or beasts before Y'ffre created the Earthbones/Ehlnofey. This was the case for all life on Nirn.
Words of Clan Mother Ahnissi describes this exact proto-state literally in the quotes you posted
>because her favorite children, the forest people, did not know their shape
these "forest people" are pre-ehlnofeic, pre-laws of nature, they do not have a shape exactly as described in the Y'ffre entry of Varieties of Faith.
In the Khajiit myth Azurah takes a group of them away and makes them Khajiit by binding them to the moons. Then Y'ffre takes the rest and makes the Bosmer, their enemies. Which is correct! It just leaves out the part where Y'ffre was also responsible for the shaping of all other elves and all men and all laws of nature because Y'ffre is the Earthbones who all (non-Khajiit) mortals descend from.
>>
>>94178309
>Wh.. what is this a reference to?
Face changers. When she showed off the merch it messed up the face detection and stopped editing the camera feed.
>>
>read this fucking lore
>there is like 5 different plot devices that randomly warp reality or whatever so the writers can just retcon anything they want at any moment and have no consistency whatsoever

well researching this shit was a waste of time
>>
>>94168977
>One thing that's also implied (and my favorite option) is that the dwemer never actually existed, and what was attempted via the Heart of Lorkhan was to retroactively exist themselves, but failed.
Elaborate on what the fuck do you mean by this.
Like suddenly something that didn't exists wills itself into existence but does't quite make it and despite remaking history as if they existed, they never actually begin existing? While somewhat neat idea wouldn't that mean one random fat fuck still managed to exist for some reason making it really oddly inconsistent?
>>
>>94193393
>wouldn't that mean one random fat fuck still managed to exist for some reason
nta but i think a corollary to that theory is the "yagrum bagarn is a daedra that tricked itself into thinking it's a dwemer and so became one" theory
>>
>>94193393
Yeah I don't get what the fuck that dude weed shit means, something that literally never existed tried to exist? Like how they even thought about trying to exist if they don't exist. I know this series love to have paradox bullshit but that is just nosense.
>>
>>94193470
>Yeah I don't get what the fuck that dude weed shit means, something that literally never existed tried to exist?
Wait til you hear about the Big Bang. Todd was smoking some real shit when he dreamt that one up.
>>
>>94193470
Wait 'til you learn about Lyg.
>>
My take on the time frame that ESO is set in is this, it addresses the meta of it being an MMO: Its another dragon break (which explains the many instances of non-linear time/repeating events going on), but also a confluence of the Many Paths (which is why there are many different incarnations of the Vestige running around and grouping the in the same place). Kind of what Moorcock did with the Eternal Champion (I actually have a character based on Elric in homage to that).
>>
>>94193598
Isn't that just a daedric realm?
>>
>>94185877
>that understands exactly what made Witcher 3 or Baldur's Gate 3 successes

Horny people? Because I seem to remember W3 getting hype out of early Geralt bathing and stuffed unicorn sex, and BG3 was, from the outside, basically crate stacking and dating sim: the game.
>>
>>94196115
People didn't treat Blood & Wine and Heart of Stone like the second coming of Christ because of the romance options Anon it was because they were individual DLCs with more actual roleplaying content than entire series of other RPGs. The sex was virtually nonexistent.

BG3 despite what people fixate on is also a pretty long game with single-digit romance scenes you will see on any playthrough and which are not particularly titillating.
>>
>>94165868
>left is my gf when we go out
>right is my gf at home
>>
>>94197253
Why her boobs get smaller?
>>
>>94180724
It was generated by AI my dude.
>>
What was the goal of Reman's imperial manonaughts and their altmer equivalent? Space in TES isn't exactly the airless void we're accustomed to. And how did they even get into space?
>>
I'm getting major "we have the gods of pegana at home" energy from this setting
>>
>>94197363
>Doesn't know what a push up bra is.
Anon, half the women you see in the streets are in use so many deceptives tricks to appear more beautiful or hot than boggles the mind.
>>
>>94186207
They’re beasts tho

>>94197363
Boobs can look smaller in shirts. My gf has 34DDs but in her pajamas you almost can’t tell.
>>
>>94167129
Kirkbride is great but the lore disappears up its own ass sometimes.
>>
>>94168436
>>94168875
The Empire was actually more of a combination of Ancient China AND the Roman Empire. What you see in Morrowind are Colovian dominated Legionnaires.

The Nibenese are culturally a different people who tattoo themselves and are more spiritual than the militaristic Colovians, who had their ethnogensis from the Nords.

Cyrodill pre-Oblivion was Colovian highlands and a jungle southern part with moth priests, an array of cults, and rice fields.
>>
>>94170919
Morrowind Nords were a mish-mash of Vikings and Celts. You can tell from the clearly Pict-style tattoos they wear.

Morrowind lore had the more 'historically-based' nations be more mixes of different countries than being based on a single country.
>>
>>94198489
I know, it's neat
>>
File: 1705457215610252.png (547 KB, 972x509)
547 KB
547 KB PNG
>>94193683
It's just corporate fanfiction anon
>>
>>94193234
TES is the ultimate /yourdudes/, /yourcampaign/ setting.
The setting its based on, even has a little acronym for it.
>YGWV
>Your Glorantha Will Vary
It's perfect for DMs because it gives your carte blanche to do what you want.
What's shit about it is everytime the writers retcon or change anything, it's written worse.
>>
>>94167129
>t. Emil Pagliarulo
>>
>>94181310
You're absolutely right, and it bothers me that you happened to express yourself to that dipshit corporate serf.
Bethesda has a repeating pattern of taking cool and interesting lore, and turning it into generic sloppa with no soul.
Cyrodiil is supposed to be a Roman/Vietnamese jungle with ancestor moths, riverboats, fancy silk clothing, bards in the street, multiple cultural distinctions and- NOPE, they're a generic fantasy kingdom in a temperate forest.
Give them rusty looking roman armor for not fucking reason, screw it.
Complete aesthetic failure from top to bottom. They did it again with Skyrim. Practically employed scientists explicitly to tell them how to make it look as generic and shitty as possible.
And TESO is the same way, regardless of what any paypig cultist troglodyte says.
>>
>>94198964
>NOPE, they're a generic fantasy kingdom in a temperate forest.
I can only assume that they saw how popular the LoTR movies were, and decided to pull a "we want the call of duty audience"
>>
>>94172143
I've got to say, this is some of the most evocative character motivation art I've ever seen.
Shit, is it cool and I don't care if anyone is going to call me a faggot for liking it.
>>
>>94198964
>imperials could continue being roman-jews living in a jungle full of mysterious cults, while maintaining it's interesting mixture of cultures
>oblivion comes around and they come up with a retarded retcon about chim and shit
>cyrodil is now just a boring mix of medieval fantasy lands all within one region, and imperials become generic romans
>>
Does Hermaeus Mora have the knowledge on how to achieve CHIM?
>>
>>94199357
Ratopombo is pretty good at what he does, but he's mostly interested in drawing topical memes for reddit or coom. I don't like that his image of Azura got popularized either, because secondaries latch onto that shit.
>>94199392
Even if he had it, he's too much of a bitch to ascend.
>>
>>94199396
I don’t mean him using it personally, i meant him bestowing that knowledge to a mortal so they could ascend
>>
>>94199487
That would be too much of a hazard because:
>1. If he knows about CHIM and how it works, he'd already either zero-sum or achieve it
>2. Having anyone mess with the dream as a demi-god is too dangerous. Three little jobbers who accessed Lorkhan's heart for power had already proven to be a problem for the continent, and they barely did shit besides self-defence.
>3. He likes to give things with strings attached so he can get more shit later. You can't get shit if you're creating a guy who can easily oppose you by realizing that none of this is real.
>>
>>94199396
>>94199487
I don't think you have a choice to "not ascend" when know the full info on how to ascend, you simply ascend instantly even if against your will.
>>
>>94193393
Imagine a ghost from outside existence trying to koolaid-man his way into reality but he fails to bust through leaving only a dent. The shape is not the being, but you can construct the idea of the being from the shape.
>>
>>94199392
original spirits can't into the Psijic Endeavor, that's the entire reason Lorkhan created the world.
>>
>>94199616
I thought he did it for the lulz.
>>
File: 7709558.webm (831 KB, 811x608)
831 KB
831 KB WEBM
I miss /tgesg/

>>94199604
Just because you know what CHIM is supposed to be that doesn't mean you TRULY understand it. Buddhist monks can know what Nirvana is, but that doesn't mean they've achieved it. If a half blue and yellow elf comes to you and says "you are one with the universe, bro" you are not gonna instantly become a god, that's dumb.
>>
>>94199616
Is there any source on that that isn't Kirkbride's fanfiction?
>>
>>94199675
Nirvana is a long process to understand because it's a mindset, not a concept, and even if you fully understand something your feelings take time to realign. CHIM is a single, instantaneous realization. You cannot know and believe that all of reality is a dream without instantly either ascending or being destroyed, because the existence of that concept in a form that can propagate is a threat to the integrity of the dream and which the subconscious of the dreamer will snuff out. You don't have to perfectly understand it, you just need to have the metaphysical equivalent of bomb-making materials in your shopping cart for The Man to whack you.
>>
>>94199696
>>94199675
>>94199396
>>94199487

The trick is actually believing. Having that sort of bone-deep, complete assurance that you aren't real is what's needed to achieve CHIM.

Vivec needed the perspective granted to him by being hopped up on the Heart in order to do it, and his form is a shitty half-formed version.

Even if Hermaeus Mora were to shove the information into someone's head, I feel that wouldn't even be the sort of assurance you'd need, since there's always the bit of doubt that he's manipulating you somehow by giving you false information.
>>
>>94199686
sure
>After the world is materialized, Lorkhan is separated from his divine center, sometimes involuntarily, and wanders the creation of the et'Ada. He and his metaphysical placement in the 'scheme of things' is interpreted a variety of ways. In Morrowind, for example, he is a being related to the Psijiic Endeavor, a process by which mortals are charged with transcending the gods that created them.
-Varieties of Faith in the Empire
written by Kirkbride btw, as is about 95% of any lore dealing with Lorkhan
>>
>>94199772
Eh, I could be nitpicky and say that it doesn't state daedra can't do that, also one can interfere that from how they are tied to the creation (especially aedra).
With "fanfiction" I mean stuff he wrote after he worked on Morrowind, that isn't officially in the games.
>>
>>94199675
Is there any character that was seen fully describing the process without anything happening to them or the person they are talking to?

Afair Marrowind had Dagoth Ur and Divec describing a part of it to the Nerevarine but neither knew the full thing, both missed a part of the formula.
>>
>>94165868
>the elder scrolls scrolls
>>
>>94199818
If you are discounting things Kirkbride wrote after Morrowind then you mine as well not even bother discussing CHIM
>>
>>94199845
NTA, but what's wrong with this Kirkbride guy and why everyone so eagerly disregards what he writes? I haven't found anything particularly offensive written by him yet.
>>
>>94199863
Contrarian faggots mostly. His ideas are undeniably the heart and soul of the setting and Bethesda has repeatedly show itself incapable of making anything compelling that does't rely on his work.
>>
>>94199845
>then you mine as well not even bother discussing CHIM
I honestly think it's better if that concept remains a bit more mysterious, yes.
>>94199863
It's not outright disregarding things he wrote after he left Bethesda, it's just that it's not official and he himself states that it's his own interpretation of the lore and his own content.
It's like reading a long-running book series, and at some point another author writes his own books in the series with a different timeline, different events and overall different lore. One might simply like to stick to the original while acknowledging that the other writers does his own thing.
>>
>>94199863
Nothing's wrong with him, it's just a backlash to people jerking him off for so many years.
>I haven't found anything particularly offensive written by him yet.
I seem to remember him writing a story about Vivec raping his own children, but I may be misremembering something else.
>>
File: 1560138315865.png (37 KB, 850x700)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
Mithril and Adamantium both are roughly the same thing, and appear and disappear in different games unlike other ebony or orchish metals that never stop showing up.
I get wanting to forget a metal with an LotR name, but Adamatium seems harmless.
>>
>>94199909
>I honestly think it's better if that concept remains a bit more mysterious, yes.
mysterious how? I shit you not, there would be zero discussion on CHIM if not for context provided outside the games.
>With these magic words, the King of Rape added another: 'CHIM,' which is the secret syllable of royalty.
>CHIM. Those who know it can reshape the land. Witness the home of the Red King Once Jungled.
There's your lore, the second quote comes from a text released in Oblivion, ie after he had already provided out of game clarifications to what CHIM was.
>>
>>94199392
He is part of the dreamer we can't spread from the dreamer
>>
>>94199675
That gif made me literally laugh out loud Jesus Christ
>>
>>94171464
>The Pig
This is also a chain to the Attack on Titan Ice Berg
>>
>>94177233
I like to think he's fighting himself over a waifu.
>>
>>94191115
>say "no" to the universe
Sounds like high church Christianity.
>>
>>94185738
Todd is only half the equation, they have a head writer that doesn't know how to write, and seems to revel in the fact that he doesn't know how to write.
>>
>>94171464
>Lydia = Kyne
Redpill me on this one
>>
>>94185877
Valve is kind of a different thing, though. They run a fucking skeleton crew, they make pretty much all the money via steam, and I think Gabe understands that there is no way they can release a HL sequel that will make everyone happy unless there is some huge tech jump they can get in on.

They're almost the opposite of Bethesda. Valve could be in double digit trash half life sequels and still make money on it because the games industry is trash, but they haven't.
>>
File: 1581892833687.jpg (239 KB, 723x1106)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
>>94186883
The Aggregate. Sharmat Dagoth Ur saw the wheel sidewise and saw naught but himself. And through this realization, he created a divine disease that carried his essence, and began construction on a Mechanical Vessel to broadcast it, seeking to make all himself.
And once he does, The Godhead and Sharmat would be as one, and then the Dreamer would awaken in the Dream Above, to being it all again.
>>
File: Uriel.png (1009 KB, 978x802)
1009 KB
1009 KB PNG
>>94199863
People believe that because he isn't a full-time writer, that he is completely uninvolved in TES lore after morrowind and that his rambling texts are non-canon and shouldn't be considered.
This is, of course, Despite him being re-hired as a contractor each time a game is made and him talking about it. The Whole deal with the White-Gold Concordat was his idea, though the documents he showed had a little more depth to the concept, like the idea of the Imperial Diamond being incapable of being placed on any depiction without it and the object/human it was placed upon being destroyed.
>>
File: Imperial Dragon (Broken).png (133 KB, 1024x1024)
133 KB
133 KB PNG
>>94202152
>I talked with Kurt about a whole mental anguish thing that happened to the world of TES after Talos was shot out of heaven by the Thalmor.
>Short version: any attempt to draw the old red diamond would invariably end up failing.
>Ex: A painter would paint it. The paint would set. The paint would crack and move. The final painting would be a 2D explosion. More Talos despair would set in.
>Ex: Blacksmiths would forge the symbol. The metal would cool, be applied to an Imperial helmet. A brave legate would wear it. The diamond stayed on long enough to meet with a Dominion ambassador. Imperials would be all "See? Our faith in Talos is--" Legate's helmet would crack from the symbol, legate's head crushes in. More Talos despair. Dominion ambassador would smile and accept the surrender of whole legions.
>Ex: A bard, knowing the "cracking diamond effect", attempts to describe the symbol in verse, to avoid the physical danger. He performs the verse to a crowd of secret Talos worshipers. They begin to see the diamond in their minds and are overjoyed. Then the screaming starts. Two hours later, a throng of headless corpses are found, strewn diamond-pattern in a courtyard. Other worshipers arrive to look on them, seeing a sign of their god in the bodies of his martyrs. Crowds gather at this holy site. Dominion lets the hope set in, declares small doubt in the finality of Talos' erasure. People go "whoa" and flock to the site. Thalmor button is pressed. The new settlement blows up as anything around the diamond shape regards it in a chain-reaction explosion of viscera, language, spellfire. Half a province surrenders to the Thalmor.
>Parts of Game: Skyrim would show all of this in mechanical terms. The LDB would have to learn how to successfully craft the diamond shape without danger. They would have to avoid certain "latent diamond traps", etc.
>Was awesome idea. Was also... technically difficult. Was also radical. Is saved for a future game or DLC.
>>
>>94201246
Since the Last Dragonborn is an aspect of Shor, then Lydia - being his companion - would be an aspect of Kyne.
>>
>>94186569
>misinterpreting
Seems reasonable. We are all one, so that means you are literally me.
>>
>>94201243
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Pagliarulo
>In 2022 it was uncovered by Kotaku that the development of Fallout 76 suffered massive mismanagement from top level executives, with one developer stating that “During development, our design director Emil [Pagliarulo] didn’t seem to want to be involved with the product at all. He didn’t want to have any contact with it…or read anything that we put in front of him.” Pagliarulo refused to comment to Kotaku when asked to give his side of the story.
Haha holy shit.

>>94201247
>still make money
They don't spit out endless trash and make profit because nobody in that fucking company wants to manage anybody. It's all self-managed you only work on what you want and nobody sane wants to manage projects because it's really really fucking hard to close on anything. They hired some top-tier marketing god and she didn't understand how shit worked and she presented a project to her "bosses" that could earn the company 40M in 9 months with a team of like half a dozen coders and streamline all marketing in the future and everyone just laughed at her and told her that 40M was too small a figure for anybody to bother with - she quit almost immediately after that meeting.

The rumour is that Alyx was struggling to ship. Basically they couldn't get the people aboard in the company to get it to a point where it could be sent out the door. And so one of the Top 3 actually had to step down into the pit and break the one fucking taboo nobody breaks in the company, which is to not give orders, and they "suggested" to the employees to help finish Alyx.
>>
>>94167129
Kirkbride wasn't the sole person writing good stuff in morrowind. There was an entire team of writers (some of whom weren't even explicitly writers, but programmer guys) and together they made morrowind what it was

but these guys had constant arguments with people like todd over things like todd saying "the lore should never lie to the player" and the vast majority of the morrowind writer/quest guys were either fired or quit to work somewhere sane with competent people in charge rather than fucking morons

None of bethesda's games have ever been particularly good - not even morrowind, but morrowind did have good writing and it is the only bethesda game that has had good writing. That game and its lore MADE elder scrolls worth something.
>>
>>94165868
More comics like this?
>>
>>94186883
turn the entirety of the universe into yourself, thus turning yourself into the universe, thus you are the godhead with a single mind and can wake up from the dream
>>
>>94202519
Just check the artists twitter.
>>
I've heard the phrase 'Un-Tower' and 'Un-stone'. Anyone know what those are?
>>
>>94202642
Are you sure its not Ur-Tower and Ur-stone? Those are references to the Adamantine Tower
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Adamantine_Tower
>>
>>94171464
Ok every time I look at this iceberg there are new entries yet I understand a good portion of these
What the fuck are “reforged daedric cultists of azeroth”

It looks new and I assume this is to do with some fuckup related to blizzard IP’s rather than something directly TES related
The best shitposts are allways at the bottom
>>
>>94202683
>reforged daedric cultists of azeroth
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/f8zll8/found_an_ancient_prec0da_and_even_preskyrim_story/
>>
File: ERAcMweXkAAMY_0.jpg (158 KB, 1200x635)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>94202683
>It looks new and I assume this is to do with some fuckup related to blizzard IP’s rather than something directly TES related
Close but not quite.
Within Warcraft 3: Reforged's assets, there is a tombstone with Daedric runes on it. The runes end up spelling out a short sentence, which is Fuck [y]ou.
>>
>>94200128
Reachmen are an admixture between Bretons, Nords, and Orcs. Shit chart.
>>
>>94165868
Dark elf wives
>>
>>94202683
theres two versions that get posted, the original and one where
>lydia = kyne
>lamae bal is sybille stentor
>"ulfric and elenwen were lovers"
>"reforged daedic cultists of azeroth"
>the noxmer
were slipped on the bottom
>>
>>94191195
>>94192093
>>94192951
I have always wondered if Mora and Mer are related.
>>
>>94192410
Many games, sadly, have more than one race of elf, and if they have a high elf it's normie-tier le arrogance.
>>
>>94200128
Dwarves and orcs are relates.
>>94202740
Imperial propaganda.
>>
So I got the low down for Mannimarco, more or less. Altmer psychopath becomes a lich and furthers himself to God hood eventually. Is the mad lad as strong as any of the daedric princes? Can Mannimarco go to war with the Aedra (not sure how aedra really function, I haven't researched them as much as daedra but I always understood that they are less independent personalities as the daedra or but forces of nature, like a God of love who is literally the emotion and chemical function of love). Beyond ESO all I know about Mannimarco is that he was the main bad guy for Arena, or was it Daggerfall? Do we as players ever see Mannimarco rise to Lichdom then godhood? And what has he been doing since then? I've really only ever played skyrim, does Mannimarco show up in TES 3 and 4?
>>
>>94202740
nah they're their own race
>>
Any notable werewolves of note? Liches have Mannimarco, vampires have Harkon. There are probably plenty of notable hags and witches in the Lore, but I never hear about werewolves doing anything cool. They did have that one invasion of Hammerfell when they teamed up with vampires.
>>
>>94199675
>I miss /tgesg/
What happened to it? When did it die?
>>
>>94207064
>Can Mannimarco go to war with the Aedra
Naw, he's weak in comparison to any of them. His divine planet/body is just a moon that doesn't even show up all the time while the real Aedra have whole planets. He also shows up (unless it's just a larper) in Oblivion as a mortal and gets killed (though his moon still exists, hence the larper comment).
>>
>>94202740
>>94207086
The Reachmen are Bretons cousins, they and the ones from High Rock split into 2 groups in the early first era.
>>
>>94176283
I managed to write some pretty schizo lore after shotgunning some his wackier c0da for a few days straight near the start of this year. It's not too difficult, just need's a state of mind fixated on making connections, a slightly poetic tone, and a broad disregard for the notion of making conveyance easy for anyone else to grasp. The last part is the hardest, the instinct to express yourself clearly is tricky to set aside. I can see why he locked himself in his apartment for a week to write the 36 Lessons, just not having to hold an actual conversation for a while was probably pretty integral to staying in the right headspace.
I want to practice illustration through 2025 and hopefully get good enough to make art on a level equivalent to him. I've tried and fallen off a few times to make a regular habit of practicing drawing, but his level seems attainable. His stuff has a sketchy quality to that doesn't really demand all that much technical skill, it's just that he's got particularly cool aesthetic sensibilities, with the insect-orientalism of Morrowind and general willingness to lean into strong directions with everything else.
I think the unifying thread between his writing and illustrations is a particular uncompromising quality. He leans hard into stuff that he thinks is cool, not with extraordinary proficiency, but without concessions to make the work more palatable to any broader audience. That's maybe also what makes it so starkly different from later day Bethesda stuff, which feels like it's all concessions to the broadest possible audience with increasingly less strong vision for anything.
>>
>>94207064
No, he's weaker than the princes. The aedra aren't really direct entities you can go to war with.

Everything ESO you learned about mannimarco other than 'lich' is wrong. It's all pure character assassination that shoves the idiot villain betrayal stick so far up his ass it may as well be his phylactery. It doesn't fit his canon appearance (possibly appearances, though this is debated)

He wasn't a bad guy. In Daggerfall, he was one of the possible quest givers that you could give the Main Quest McGuffin to. In fact, as far as it goes, he's even relatively polite about it. the time one of his undead skeletons stuff a letter in your mouth, I think it's intended more as a prank.

Due to the way the Warp in the West works, though, all of the possible people who could have gotten that McGuffin ended up getting it. That means that he ended up getting it, and ascending himself to godhood. among many of the other people.

He does show up in Oblivion, but if it's really him or someone pretending to be him isn't sure. On one hand, his personality is completely different and they have a weird hateboner for the mage's guild. On the other hand, it's entirely possible that the warp in the west sort of 'split' him into god-mannimarco and mer-mannimarco.

Since then, he hasn't really done much. Originally he (as a god) was one who would allow you to 'blacken' soul gems, but as of 200 years later (Skyrim era) it's the Ideal Masters who control the black soul gem economy. It could be that there are different variations to go with the different types of soul gems, and you only run into the Ideal Master variant. I could see a conflict between the two brewing. One thing to remember is that enchanting has changed a lot since the days of Daggerfall.
>>
>>94207064
>Can Mannimarco go to war with the Aedra
He wrote an instruction manual about his efforts to do exactly that with Arkay.
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Arkay_the_Enemy
>does Mannimarco show up in TES 3 and 4?
Not in 3. He's the main antagonist of the mage's guild questline in 4, but Bethesda didn't do him justice to put it lightly. Goofy ass grandpa that lives in a cave, can't afford shoes, and is hilariously coded in a way that makes him quickly run out of magicka and resort to an unenchanted silver dagger.
>>
>>94165868
So, the main skinny is that Tamriel has five periods of history. The Merethic Era when the elves were discovering all the things and the humans reached Tamriel. The oldest civilization are the Wood Elves so they start history. The First Era after human slaves (Nedes, later Imperials and Bretons) take over Cyrodiil from the Elves (Alyeds), they start their slow takeover of the continent. There were also dwarves back then but they're extinct and no one really knows why (it's theorized that they were such good Atheists that they became gods). The second era was like a nine-hundred year long civil war. The third era, where most of the games take place, see the Empire of Tamriel ruled by a house of dragon-blooded emperors of the Septium dynasty, that is until Hell (Oblivion) invades Tamriel and fucks everything up. Finally in the Fouth era the elves are trying to take Tamriel back for themselves and the Dragonborn kills the dragon that's trying to erase all of existence ever. That's the lastest news from Nirn.
>>
>>94167190
>>94168600
Ins't the All-Maker the Godhead? If so they basically had an entire DLC about him.
>>
>>94207575
I dont know how much Lichdom in TES differs from traditional depictions, but I'm assuming you have to do a decent amount of heinous or at least morally questionable acts to become one? Was mannimarco always a lich when you meet him in daggerfall or does that happen at some point during the campaign? I'm just wondering for clarity since you said he's not a bad guy, but the steps to become a Lich are typically flavored with amorality, isn't it?

>>94207608
So what went so wrong with Mannimarco's ascension that he wasn't able to become a mortal gone "full" God the same way Akray and Talos were?
>>
>>94207612
Wood elves aren't the oldest civilization that's Aldameris and the Aldmer who are the precursor elves.
>>
>>94207833
Wood elves are the oldest civilization that exists and maintain their history. There are obviously older (and future) civilizations, it's just that the Bosmer are the ones whose nation can be traced the longest and whose history is the most complete. The Aldmer are more akin to the Dwemer, we know they happened but they're practically only tangentially connected to current events.
>>
>>94207612
One of my favorite TES images
>>
>>94207810
He was always a lich, including when you first meet him- he's long-since bypassed his need for his phylactery.

The only details about achieving lichdom you find anything about in any of the canon games (excluding ESO, which is not and will never be canon) is a note by Celedaen, who is 'visited' by Mannimarco during a religious communion and given the secrets to lichdom. All that's said is that it requires 'the sacrifice of many innocents, the ressurection of many servants to aid me in my tasks, and the tireless performance of a nearly week-long ritual' to construct a phylactery.

Most likely, people did die in Mannimarco's attempt to turn himself into a lich. Studying souls would be an important part of it, too, and that kind of study would be destructive.

As far as your other question, there are sort of 'tiers' to divinity. The Tribunal stole sparks of it from the Heart of Lorkhan, and the Daedra could be seen as 'external gods' of their own realms.

Talos is notable in that he's implied to be a shezzarine, which is basically one of Lorkhan's agents in the world, which is kind of sort of Lorkhan himself. He didn't so much 'become' a god as much as he 'returned to the source'.
>>
>>94207612
I haven't even really played the games but I understand and appreciate the joke.
>>
>>94207064
In his ending in Daggerfall, King of Worms becomes an actual Daedric God.
However he is apparently severed from his godform by time-jannies, leaving behind the remnants of his divinity in the Revenant Moon which can seemingly not do much but troll Arkay occasionally. Kind of lame, really, but I get the feeling people in Bethesda didn't much care for a "God of Worms."
There is one theory I quite like that the Ideal Masters are what remains of his shattered Divinity, with the Revenant Moon holding the Soul-Cairn.
>>
>>94207612
This image is correct but there is another thing, they all suck at magic and only use it to larp.
>>
>>94203974
Even the original one had iterations where shit was added to it
I remember the whole thing being way smaller
>>
Someone please give me three in-universe sources talking about the concept of "shezzarine".
>>
>>94209073
The term "Shezarrine" is used only once in reference to Pelinal in the Songs of Pelinal. It has since become a (likely inaccurate) catch-all term for Lorkhan's avatars used by the lore community.
>>
>>94170919
>what are gall-goidel
>>
>>94199675
JEJ
>>
traditional games
>>
>>94185266
1300 pages is about the length of five typical novels. You can read that in a day or two.
>>
>>94166363
In other words, improved her.
>>
File: superlaugh.png (837 KB, 648x671)
837 KB
837 KB PNG
I think my favorite thing about Elder Scrolls is that while it has all that crazy high-level lore shit, it's still perfectly capable of telling character-driven stories about normal ass people.
The Empire in particular is extremely well established to counter-balance each race having its own homeland and monoculture. Each race still has a pretty poignant identity, but the dominant culture is diverse enough to let you put any kind of character in any kind of place for any kind of story.
>>
>>94208104
>ESO, which is not and will never be canon
you poor sweet summer child.
>>
traditional games
>>
>>94207317
Not really, Hircine tends to hog the spotlight whenever werewolves are doing anything big. Closest thing in terms of age or power would be Vykosa and she's just a throwaway ESO dungeon boss.
>>
What's the imperial illuminati called again? Like the imperial college or something?
>>
>>94212096
Cult of the Ancestor-Moth?
>>
>>94212128
Nah the ones who pull the strings and are so secretive and schizo nothing is really written about them.
>>
>>94212096
The Psijic Order?
>>
>>94209840
>It has since become a (likely inaccurate) catch-all term for Lorkhan's avatars used by the lore community.

Really? That's disappointing, Lorkhan having it's own dragonborn is a fun idea.
>>
>>94212096
Are you talking about the Blades? Because they are basically a mini-illuminati now.
>>
What are some quintessential mundane items from the TES series that are unique to the setting?
I'm making my equipment list and all I can think of is Paintbrushes and Pewter dinnerware.
>>
>>94207833
Aldmeris never existed, outside of your mind.

Atmora has always been frozen.

It's really just that simple.
>>
>>94207507
Nice.
>>
>>94212457
a limeware platter
>>
>>94212457
Nothing really, it's just basic ancient weapons, that generic red potion that heal your health, the generic magic crystal to refill your magic bar, wizard staffs etc
The closest to an "unique" thing often used by most heroes are the Elder Scrolls
>>
>>94209993
The Kalpa thing even allows you to create any fanfiction-y story and just go ''it was in another kalpa''
>>
>>94200128
Why is the link between bretons and reachmen (forsworn) speculative. I thought it was established that reachmen where eastern bretons who practiced daedra worship.

They were then conquered by the nords, while still keeping some kind of cultural identity.

Skyrim then basically dehumanized apart from one quest by mostly depicting them as savage cavemen despite the forsworn living as regular citizens for centuries before the events of skyrim.
>>
>>94212457
Silt striders? Their mundane in the context of the world itself.
>>
>>94214274
>>94213438
Are you guys ESLs or just incapable of reading
>>
>>94214345
A quintessential mundane item that is unique to the setting is a fucking oxymoron. Because if it's a mundane item such as a paint brush or a set of pewter dinnerware then it has assuredly been featured in another setting, on account of being mundane.

From >>94212457 it seems like you are under the impression that todd howard invented the concept of paintbrushes and pewter dinnerware
>>
>>94214809
I obviously meant unique or quintessential. You're impressively pedantic for an ESL.
>>
>>94212221
Lorkhan has avatars its just that "Shezarrine" is probably a misnomer that refers to a specific Cyrodiilic hero. There are no "Shezarrines" only "the Shezarrine," not unlike "the Nerevarine."
>>
>>94212457
Just play the games casual
>>
Why hasn't this off-topic thread been deleted?
>>
>>
has there actually been an Elder Scrolls TRPG yet?
>>
>>
>>94215199
>>94215254
>>94215921
why havn't ye?

>>94207612
something about the whole stealth archer thing being straight up OP or something?
>>
>>94216116
It's because if you just go stealth and use a bow you can just kill 99% of all the shit in the game, the AI is kinda shitty and will not find you even after 3,4,8 shoots.
>>
>>94216116
Why are you defending a thread that breaks the rules?
>>
>>94216151
Touche.

>>94216160
because I know it bothers ye, ye dang lug.
>>
File: 1458762061486.png (554 KB, 973x821)
554 KB
554 KB PNG
Ending! Words! ALMSIVI!
>>
>>94216160
Use your janny powers to delete it, fag.
>>
>>94212219
>>94212230
No, no, no I think it's the college of something.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.