[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/toy/ - Toys

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 9165_4.jpg (44 KB, 951x634)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
HON3z edition
>>
Bros, how do I learn how to scratchbuild in brass? Shit’s hard and there are barely any resources on it.
>>
>>10947702
Start with learning how to assemble a kit, and then learn how to design things like that in Inkscape or some kind of CAD.
>>
Got a few lima trains at a used fair for 20 bucks. Will post pics later
>>
File: 965001-1.png (1.54 MB, 1920x1080)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB PNG
I hope Rapido don't blow it with their new fireless loco release because the hype is real
>>
>>10947371
Halling announced some new Viennese streetcars the other day. I am happy.
>>
I built a display case to put my models in. There is a piece of plexiglass that slides in between the trim and the case itself, and the trim on the left is held on with magnets. I think all in all I built it for about 80 bucks
>>
>>10950849
Pic with plexiglass
>>
>That one locomotive you're desperate to find but there's no model in production / in the scale you model / that you can afford etc.

What's her name, anons?
>>
File: 3-LB&SCR--I1.jpg (235 KB, 800x506)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
>>10951057
Damn pic didn't attach
>>
File: camelback.jpg (65 KB, 500x500)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>10951057
New York Central steam that isn't the Hudson is pretty much impossible to model in N scale
>Brass models for Niagaras, Mohawks, and H-10s exist, but are 30-40 years old and are pretty much impossible to find anymore, let alone set up for DCC
>Most N scale steam engines are PRR-based or general USRA designs because Broadway Limited has a PRR fetish
>Even getting out of steam for a sec there's zero models of S-motors or T-Motors even in brass

Also it astounds me no one's made at least one camelback in this scale considering there's plenty in HO or O to choose from.
>>
File: d5zb6u0713r61.jpg (30 KB, 512x294)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>10951057
literally everything Canadian, until Rapido is finished with their new line at least
>CP 0-6-6-0 NEVER
>>
File: billyandtrain.png (292 KB, 640x480)
292 KB
292 KB PNG
>>10951057
Two, a Raven A2 and a 4-wheel Ruston 165DE.
>>
>>10951239
I was the guy complaining about Sam's Trains before and this post really hits home the point. It's not that he's a bad reviewer, it's that he always leaves out the 'gotta have' factor. If you're modeling the Great Northern or something, you're gonna hafta put up with lots of rare and cranky brass stuff off eBay.
>>
Does L.G.B.Trains still exist?

Kind of unfortunate about the name now.
>>
>>10951057
Japanese H0m is a niche filled with expensive brass kits. I haven't yet seen a model in this scale made by injection molding. Only brass and some resin casts.

>>10951481
It does.
https://www.lgb.com/
>>
>>10951481
They are part of the Marklin/Trix consortium.
>>
File: 5626010314_8e6c17e07c_b.jpg (137 KB, 1024x768)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>10951057
basically any streetcar/EMU built in the last 40 years that isn't a PCC (and even then, Boston's PCCs were unique in that they had a left hand door). pic related.
>>
>>10950849
that's so cool anon. Do you have the project?
>>
>>10950849
That looks amazing anon, good work! Any plans to add lighting or are you going to leave it as is?
>>10951239
I'm not American but even I can feel your pain. It does indeed seem like quite a gap in the market.
>>10951406
Maybe one day anon, we can always dream.
>>10951410
>Ruston fan
This man is a gigachad.
>>
>>10951057
SAR Class 26 Red Devil. The only one available is US$550+ (without shipping).
>>
>>10952446
Check out Halling for Euro stuff, Bachmann has the Brill Trolley too, but it is not that great.
>>
How much clearance do I need for a bridge crossing over a line in n scale?
>>
>>10952798
I could draw some simple blueprints up if youre interested. Its all 3/4 x 3 pine board and the trim is just some 1 1/2 L trim pieces. Ill post it when I draw it
>>10953034
Im thinking of adding those LED strips. Before I put it together I should have taken the router and cut notches in the shelves for the strips to sit in. I thought of using a picture light, but i think having it illuminated outside the plexiglass will just make the plexiglass reflect the light and it wouldnt look good. I would like to add some lighting though.

Also, picrel is my new to me purchase. I really like the Athearn Special Edition sets. They has a set with a GP38, SW1500, bay window and a cupola caboose, semi truck and trailer, boxcar, covered hopper, and intermodal car painted in Athearn colors. Just got the GP38, and the hopper and intermodal are in the mail. I just think its real fuccin neato
>>
>>10951239
As a fellow NYC collector, what I've done, and what you can reasonably get is:
- Kato Heavy Mikado. The P&LE had them and Kato even makes them in NYCS lettering. If you'd prefer an actual NYC lettered Mikado, get an unlettered Kato or a Broadway Limited and do it yourself. I've got pictures of NYC Mikados and not all of them were H-10s. You can get pretty damn close to one of the 18xx numbered Mikados by relettering a Kato or BL.
- Bachmann's USRA Mountains, especially the heavy Mountains, make decent but imperfect stand-ins for the L1 Mohawks specifically, what with their 4-axle tenders. It's not perfect: you'll have to move the bell off of the smokebox and mount it to the boiler, but it's better than shelling out hundreds for a brass model that doesn't run. I've also been brewing up ways to attach a Bachmann Hudson tender to a heavy Mountain to give it the more traditional 6-axle NYC-style tender you see on the L2s and later.
- Bachmann USRA 0-6-0. The NYC's Chicago Junction used them. Just be sure to renumber it.
- Life-Like's 0-8-0 are basically near-perfect replicas of the U-2 and U-3 series 0-8-0s.
-Life-Like again: one of their 2-8-4s could be relettered and turned into a decent B&A stand-in.
- While not perfect, a USRA Pacific is a decent enough stand-in for the NYC's 43xx numbered Pacifics. I've got a picture of one, #4398, coming out of State Line Tunnel in Canaan and my Model Power Pacific is damn near a dead-ringer for it.

Not all of them are perfect. Some are decidedly less than perfect. But you know what? I've learned to make due with what I can. I love my shitty "L1b Mohawk". I love my Kato Mike. I love my Bachmann Consolidation. And as for what I can't make due with? I would kill for an affordable, reliable Niagara in N. The closest I've gotten is figuring I could probably kitbash a Bachmann Santa Fe 4-8-4 together with a Con-Cor 6-axle tender to make the world's shittiest NYC #800. But that would just be stupid, wouldn't it?
>>
Why do resellers on ebay think throwing "Vintage", "RARE", or "L@@K!!!" In their title makes what theyre trying to selling somehow worth double market price? Im a big Blue Box collector, and while there are some BB items that are actually rare, the Special Edition sets arent really worth that much. I saw some guy trying to sell a Blue Box BNSF Dash 9 for 250 bucks because "These are getting hard to find". Is it a mental illness? Im not really bitching because I usually can find what im looking for from sellers who actually are reasonable or at train shows, but it baffles me that someone on ebay would rather keep an item up for sale for double market value than to actually be able to sell. It seems like resellers dont know much about models and just see an old box or "special" and think it must be worth a ton of money. Thoughts or am i just being autistic?
>>
>>10953852
Are there blueprints available? You can print it yourself then.
>>
>>10957087
I haven't been particularly thorough in searching, but from what I have searched I haven't found anything resembling a Niagara in N scale. If you're asking specifically about NYC #800, I haven't bothered searching at all because it's such an obscure prototype that I doubt anyone would bother, and I get it: Why bother making printings for a failed design when the actual Niagara is right there?
>>
I finally got new inspiration to finally get back to working on a layout plan, but it's hard to find the right balance of just wanting to see the trains run and actually having something to do on the layout. Every time I try, it just ends up looking too busy and toy like
>>
>>10959175
Have you read "track planning for realistic design" yet?
>>
>>10959478
I'll check it out. Thanks anon
>>
File: cnr3367.jpg (48 KB, 750x410)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
https://thetrainexchange.ca/van-hobbies-ho-canadian-national-2-8-2-mikado-s-2a-brass-locomotive/

i don't even have a layout and I really want this.
>>
>>10960068
Sure thing. Also check out some of the old Atlas track plan books too. Theyre a little dated but they have some good layouts
>>
>>10960220
Get a loop of track, then buy one and a few pieces of rolling stock that catch your fancy. Eventually you'll get more. Then you'll be one of us.

I want one in N scale because I've seen #3254 at Steamtown several times and I think it just looks awesome. It and #2317. Too bad the best I can get in N scale is heavily modifying a Kato Mikado (for #3254) and a Model Power Pacific (#2317). You HO guys get all the cool stuff.
>>
>>10960288
I mean, I'm not a poorfag but it's 450 dollars... we don't exactly get handed stuff for nothing
>>
Where can I buy British models in the U.S? Is importing the only option?
>>
>>10960611
What scale? I see Graham Farish N scale engines on ebay all the time, and half of those are coming from US sellers.
>>
>>10961001
OO. Hornby and Dapol, as well as older Wren and Airfix, specifically. Bachmann is fine too. I like GWR, LM&R and Tal-y-Llyn for narrow gauge.

>Captcha: GW4R
>>
File: wheldale06081990.jpg (49 KB, 669x400)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>10953477
If you do, make sure you show the progress in the thread anon! Lights can make a huge difference to a display piece. I'm no expert, but the items in the pic look very nice indeed.
>>10953174
I would say it mainly depends on what locos and rollingstock you are likely to run underneath. In my experience, the easiest way to do it is to measure trackside at the clearance you are planning and run some trains through it. It's better to have too much clearance than not enough!
>>10955631
I would suspect that it's the demographic that view model trains as simple collectibles to resell for a profit. Obviously, people are entitled to do what they want with the products they buy, but engaging in behaviour like you describe anon is hardly helping an already struggling hobby.

Have any anons here built reasonably small shunting layouts? I don't have the space for a permanent layout right now and so am debating building a simple Inglenook-based layout in 00 scale. I've only ever previously built much larger layouts and so am wondering whether I'll get bored.
>>
File: IMG_1102testrp.jpg (235 KB, 1024x703)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
>>10953034
Well, I more or less want a Ruston to turn it into the South Simcoe Railways #10. Planet Industrials was the one to make one, but its discontinued and Hornby's is the 6-wheel variant.
>>
>>10951057
Any cowboy-era 4-4-0. It's all diesels and euroshit. My white whale would be a live steam The General
>>
>>10965412
What scale? You can get plenty of cowboy-era 4-4-0s in both HO and N. Not sure about O, though. I'm guessing live steam from your comment about The General, and while I don't know much about the live steam community, wouldn't it be possible to make one yourself? If you could find a kit that was for a 4-4-0, regardless of country of origin, couldn't you strip it down to the bare essentials needed to make it run, then make the detail fittings yourself so it looks right?
>>
>>10965518
Sure but this thread is implicitly about off-the-shelf stuff rather than custom designs.
>>
>>10965412
Bachmann made one recently in H0.
>>
>>10951239
>New York Central steam that isn't the Hudson is pretty much impossible to model in N scale
>N scale
That's your first problem right there. N Scale has a horrible steam selection. Partly because it is so small and harder to make the mechanism work in N vs bigger scales. N is more suited for diesels and electrics. Steam selection is getting better but still pales in comparison to HO and O. I have lots of NYC steam in HO. Switch to HO if you like steam.
>Most N scale steam engines are PRR-based or general USRA designs because Broadway Limited has a PRR fetish
>Broadway Limited
Yeah, I wonder what gave that away. Also, PRR sells. That is why they make it. Money talks, bullshit walks. The ones making the loudest noise about BLI making something not PRR are the ones not opening their wallets to put their money where their mouth is. Meanwhile, those with money are buying PRR stuff which keeps BLI in business with exception to the Big Boy, Blue Goose, and GS-4 Daylight. Everything else sits. Be mad if you want that most modelers chose the PRR over other railroads but that is what it is. BLI is a business, not a charity.
>>
>>10955631
They are either:
A) Modelers looking for a sucker who doesn't know any better
B) One of many resellers/flippers who looked on the internet seeing old Lionel trains go for some money and therefore thinks all model trains regardless of size are like this thinking old=valuable conflating the HO market with Lionel thus overcharge like crazy.
>>
>>10960611
Have you tried using Google?
>>
>>10951239
>>10966833
Find blueprints and go for the DIY approach, if you can.
>>
>>10966860
Its pretty comical honestly. I just got this set brand new for 18 dollars. Unbuilt, all the paperwork and everything. Theres a few sellers on ebay trying to sell this same set for $125 and up. I keep seeing them get relisted and the price never comes down. I kinda want to message them and tell them theyre retarded on their price, but I just know its gonna be someone who will say "i know what i got"
>>
>>10951057
HO scale Milwaukee Road spaz here.

GOD DAMN BOXCABS. Oh, sure there's brass ones, that dumbasses want thousands for. Meanwhile Broadway Limited can make shittons of gay Pennsy stuff, while a high-demand western model is completely ignored. Then they have the audacity to bitch that their shitty, Lionel-tier MILW fantasy 4-8-4 versions didn't sell well.
No shit, no one asked for that. Morons.

I want plastic Boxcab electrics God damn it.

>Build your own, idiot
I've been talking with an additive manufacturer about doing that, but I'll need to get to Duluth, MN and crawl around that set with calipers.
>>
>>10966833
Pennsy sucks dick and I'm tired of seeing it. Pigtail mother fuckers wrecked the Central.
>>
>>10970917
I didnt know you browsed /toy/ Bill
>>
>>10966833
How exactly do I "put my money where my mouth is"?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.