[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/toy/ - Toys

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: boxes of toys.jpg (1.67 MB, 3024x4032)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
Genuinely looking for some insight into why some collectors are like this. No hate towards in box collectors, but what’s the point? Is it because you potentially wanna sell them down the line? If so, that money could be invested in stocks or crypto and make you way more money and not take up space. You might as well just have a picture of the figure in your house, because that’s all it really is. Curious if there’s any here and if they could try to explain why.
I can slightly understand exclusives or repacks where the whole point is the packaging but even then I’m not completely sure.
At the end of the day, it’s your toys and you’re welcome to do whatever you want with them obviously but I just want to understand why. Also don’t attack any inbox collectors in the comments.
>>
Inbox collectors are fucking retards, simple as.
>>
>>10951383
I dont get it either. Theres a sub minority of in box collectors who store them like a fine wine to open up when in a celebratory mood; theres at least some reasoning there but as a whole I dont fucking get it.
>>
>>10951383
back in the 80's nobody even had the concept of keeping a toy in the box. you played with it, duh.

today, finding an 80's toy on the box is so rare! almost a miracle! if you were that one guy who managed to have an un-opened figure, it would be worth a fortune!

it's that, but for the future. nevermind that lots of people are doing it. the concept alone makes people fear opening the boxes.
>>
>>10951383
>>10951436
Pretty much this. The intention isn't necessarily to be a scalper/reseller, but the idea of something you own being worth tons of money down the line makes it difficult. Like myself for example. I will keep some stuff in the box if it's already vintage and worth a decent amount or if it's newer but comes from a line/brand which has a solid track record of going up in value. However, if it's something I don't anticipate to go up in value, or something that doesn't have a solid record of going up in value, then I'll open and play with it. I think the reason you see so much random stuff kept in box is because of everyone's perception of what will become valuable.
>>
>>10951428
That is me, my ex texted me back so I opened some figmas in celebration
>>
>>10951383
I think some people just want their house to look like a retail store.
>>
>>10951383
>Soi Wars
Mousecucks are just retarded
>>
>>10951441
Wholesome! I did find that getting 10 figma at once and opening them all inmediately did feel overwhelming and didnt let me appreciate them individually until months later. Maybe opening figures incrementally has its advantages.
>>
File: 1596660960137.jpg (113 KB, 549x188)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>10951446
Anon, how stupid are you? Most of those figures are PT, Clone Wars or EU. Stop trying to sound cool when you have no idea what you are talking about.
>>
>>10951445
Beyond caring about resale value, I feel like this could play a big part in it, especially with the toy stores most of us grew up with like Toys R Us and KB Toys being a thing of the past. This hobby's largely built around nostalgia after all, so it's not farfetched to think some would try to recreate an environment that made us happy when we were kids.
>>
>>10951383
i hate it because most of box-collectors are those filthy investorfags.

Good thing is that they usually collect bullshit like starwars or other cringe stuff.
(it's the same thing with Lego - if it's a box collection then it's 100% lego starwars or those AdUlT crap like plastic flowers)
>>
>>10951492
>PT, Clone Wars or EU
That's what he said. Moucecuck soiwars.
>>
>>10951383
I am mostly an opener myself but honestly getting doubles of certain figs when the card is retro or great looking.

Love the aesthetic sometimes of in the box, some on my walls. Mostly open tho.
>>
>>10951383
>No hate towards in box collectors
>you might as well just have a picture of the figure in your house
You could at least attempt to disguise your animosity towards the people a bit better than that if you don’t want them to think you despise them.
>>
>>10951428
I space out my unboxings but I don't think that makes me an inbox collector? I've never bought anything without the intent of opening it, I just know it'll be more satisfying not opening like 10 things at once and savouring each one a bit
>>
File: 4103008666_2641659c96_b.jpg (508 KB, 1024x613)
508 KB
508 KB JPG
The packaging has art and lore. Not as much as it could have but I like how it represents the story.
>>
I collect (mostly) in box.
Part of it is potential value of course.
Easier to dust.
Protects the toys from my ham hands or losing pieces.
I used to open them but I don't really pose them very often and also I'm really clumsy.
Also a lot of figures on one shelf just looks crowded, I display a very minimal amount of my collection at one time.
I dunno I just like it I guess. It's not really any different from the dozens of games, movies, or books I've bought but never played/watched/read. Someday I might open some.
>>
>>10951765
>I dunno I just like it I guess. It's not really any different from the dozens of games, movies, or books I've bought but never played/watched/read.
This is how you can tell it’s gone too far, or will if left unchecked. This is what mental illness looks like. I also collect books/games, probably have about 100 physical examples of each. There isn’t a one that I haven’t read or played. Why would you buy something you don’t use? I think it’s usually the dopamine hit of the purchase itself from talking to others like you about it.
>>
>>10951383
>>10951407
>>10951428
>>10951436
>>10951439
>>10951441
>>10951446
>>10951482
>>10951530
>>10951531
>>10951761
>>10951762
>>10951765
>>10951783
>But it's just so wholesome and kino having that inbox 6 inch 1/12 scale display like my living room is it's own toy store!

Holy Shit
>>
>>10951783
I usually work eight hours a day six days a week. Plus another hour commuting. I just don't have much energy after that and usually get sucked into watching YouTube videos or doom scrolling. I also don't actually buy much, I think I got like four or five figures last year, and none so far this year (I think I have like four things on pre-order)
Also when my untouched pile gets too big I stop buying until I beat it down a fair amount.
>>
>>10951755
Nta but he wasn’t being disrespectful in saying that it’s just the truth.
>>
Most of the people who do this buy cheap trashy toys like Black Series that aren't worth taking out of the box because they are terrible toys. Why would you bother with a figure that has no articulation flimsy accessories that dont look good posed?

>>10951790
Also this these fags absolutely just like pretending they live in their very own toy store.
>>
>>10951383
I personally don't do it, but it's not something that bugs me when I see other people do it. Let them do what they want with the toys they spent their own money on. If they want to bury them in the woods or stick them up their asses, I could care less.

I'll never get this weird fixation people have with what complete strangers they'll never actually meet do.
>>
>>10951833
>I'll never get this weird fixation people have with what complete strangers they'll never actually meet do

Very common problem that the autistic and low IQ have. The Internet has also allowed people to interact almost exclusively with like minded people so encountering somebody with a different opinion feels like an attack.
>>
File: 20240212_214511.jpg (2.12 MB, 4160x1872)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB JPG
>>10951383
Currently out of shelf space. Not even a current pic.
>>
File: IMG_8804.jpg (194 KB, 1437x784)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
>>10951883
If you think that’s bad anon you should see my attic, I didn’t even realize how bad it was until recently and honestly I’m kind of embarrassed how bad I’ve let it gotten. I really need to either sell some shit or figure out what I’m gonna do with them.
>>
>>10951895
kek i remember you did this the last thread
>>
>>10951533
Anon, stop being stupid
>>
>>10951895
>>10951900
Is this some sort of inside joke? It just looks like anon has a hoarding problem to me
>>
>>10951941
>he doesn't know
NGMI
>>
>>10951383
>>10951883
>>10951895
Friendly reminder that these are the people charging you premium prices at toy shows because it's NRFB
>>
Group 1 got their dopamine hit from looking at specific lines of figures in the toy aisle. Inbox simulates the toy aisle.

Group 2 got their dopamine hit from opening the new toy but didn't really get as much from playing with it. These are the hoarders or the used sellers

Group 3 got their dopamine hit from playing with the toy. These are the people who actually use the toy for its intended purpose.

I say this as an admitted group 2.
>>
>>10952062
I'd say there's another group that does open their stuff but puts them into a display case right away without really playing with them. The joy comes from seeing the characters together in a space. Not sure if I'd group those with hoarders or used sellers.
>>
>>10952112
I probably would since its essentially having a large amount of characters together -- but could be its own category if one wanted. Especially if the opening doesn't really please the person but seeing the characters on display together.
>>
>>10951383
>No hate towards in box collectors, but what’s the point? Is it because you potentially wanna sell them down the line?
Looks like you already knew the answer to your question. The thing is people like thing like this are usually too retarded, financially illiterate, or lack the willpower to find out how stocks, bonds, etc. work and how to start acquiring them. So instead they will horde collectibles of their manchild interests and use it as a subsitute. I could be wrong, but I doubt many of these people ever end up selling and actually making money from it. First of all ebay and selling fees will pretty much neutralize any meaningful profit. Second of all, I dont think many of these horder types ever actually sell off their collections unless its a moment of desperation (either they are in desperate need of cash or they die and their family members sell the shit). In both cases underselling is done to make it go as fast and smooth as possible.
>>
>>10952112
>>10952139
This is me personally.
>>
>>10952112
>>10952139
I don’t know, people who have large displays of characters that include figures they only bought to complete a team or every single figure are the best examples of hoarders
>>
>>10952374
Like YouTubers such as Robo Don't Know.
>>
>>10952374
Are they? If I like a particular iteration of a team, I generally like all the characters from it. Also, for something long running like the X-Men or the Avengers, I just make my own idealized roster that I like best. I do have some particular rosters that I'm fonder of like the Mew Avengers or Astonishing X-Men, but it's because I enjoyed those comics with those characters, not because I want to buy a character I don't want just to finosh a team.

Dom you even like that iteration of a team if you don't like the entire roster?
>>
>>10952383
Maybe its gay and better to assemble action figure displays in whatever order without any reference to dumb comics
>>
>>10952386
What's it matter to you how random strangers from the Internet they you'll never meet arrange their toys?
>>
Leaving toys in boxes for a prolonged time may be a bad idea. You won't know if there's any QC issues and the original packagi g plastic isn't ideal to store a toy afaik. It might leak plasticizer and become sticky due to the enclosed space. Also not sure about chemical interactions between the different plastics.
Much better to take it out to inspect and have some kind of customer service/replacement/get some air on it.
>>
>>10951530
That's part of it. I miss Kay Bee. Sometimes it helps recapture the feeling of buying a new GoBot, if only for a minute. Posefags and their noise get really old. They've taken the joy out of getting a new toy by counting articulation points and putting it up on a shelf in some ultimately lifeless set-piece like a poser (sic).
>>
>>10952400
I opened quite a lot of sealed Spawn figures from the 90s (like 30+) and only 1 was sticky. Take from that what you will. That said they do have cardboard card backs so maybe that allowed a bit of air transfer for the plasticizers to air out.
>>
File: 171261729582273165.jpg (1.53 MB, 4032x3024)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB JPG
>>10952507
Stay mad
>>
>>10951383
There once was a time when the card was a piece of the art itself
>>
>>10952400
Back in the mid 00s I was a teenager collecting McFarlane Sportspicks with the impression they may be the next baseball cards.
10 years later all the packaging yellowed and they're not even worth what I paid for them with inflation.
>>
>>10951761
Yeah I made that mistake and it took me half a year to finally sit down and appreciate each figure on its own merits.
>>
>>10951407
>be me
>coworker in late 40’s likes Batman
>cool
>we talk about our collections
>I have mostly Mcfarlene stuff with various other odds and ends
>he shows me picture and asks me what I think?
>it’s beast kingdom and figmas and other higher end kinda stuff all in the boxes still
>”neat coworker anon, but you ever think about taking em out and posing em?”
>”no”
>lives with his mother
>he can’t do simple computer shit
>mother runs his email for him
>various other retarded behaviors
I think you are onto something anon…
>>
I see it the same way i see sealed video game collectors, its a piece of art. Like a painting. Its not there for any functionality besides being viewed. The box art, or in the case of toys, the packaging is the art piece.
>>
I keep some stuff in boxes, I guess kind of hoping that when i sell them down the line they'd be worth more than what i'd get if they were open.

Its just baked in my collector mentality at this point.

When I had some of them out on display and on my walls, it was kind of neat seeing them all displayed like that. I think its probably why there's so many funko collectors - you have a sort of uniformity style going on.
>>
>>10951492
>top trying to sound cool when you have no idea what you are talking about.
That's this entire board in a nutshell
>>
>>10952760
Are they raping Pointblank?
>>
File: 171244235302815212.jpg (68 KB, 800x450)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>10953445
>>
>>10951445
I think this might be an autistic subconscious reason why I like keeping some figures in package
One of the most memorable experiences when buying a new toy as a kid was the thrill of running into the store, finding the toy aisle and spending a stupid amount of time just looking at all the toys MiB on the shelves knowing full well my parents would only allow me to pick one to buy
>>
>>10952924
Theres something just criminal about trapping import figures in their boxes not enjoying all their higher end engineering and articulation.
>>
File: r2sex.jpg (2 KB, 103x125)
2 KB
2 KB JPG
These fuck heads will never need to be an inbox collector if they made a museum and charged to see them physically. Unless they are investors...its as safe as keeping money in a mattress when there is a fire. If collecting is more fun than the toy, they don't play with toys,
>>
>>10951383
I have like a third of my collection in boxes. Not because I specifically want them in the boxes, but because I have no room to put everything out somewhere. Also there's 4 things I don't want to open because they were the last figure gifts my grandmother got for me before she passed away.
>>
File: JimmyOlsen.jpg (8 KB, 242x378)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>10951795
I GET THIS - have stuff I ordered that is going to be resold because I found it second hand, loose at a better price AND got the MOC cheap, so I can make back the resale even after fees.

A good example is I bought the Jimmy Olsen mint at auction at the VERY low end of what it sells on EB ($14.99); I bought five things from this guy, so postage was priority, or $18 for the lot ($4 per). But then I bought the figure used from another auction (again, with shipping at $9 for 3 toys or about $3) for just $5, and I decided I didn't really need to pay an extra $10 for the stand so I'm going to sell the mint on card version. It usually sells for $30, and I can be patient till I get that price.

I just haven't had the time to finish unpacking from moving last year and needing to buy a display case/shelf unit, etc.

>>10951883
>>10951895
>>10952018
>people charging premium ... because it's NRFB
Yeah, me too somewhat, but I'm NOT buying or paying FULL RETAIL just because something is in a box, unless there is no other option (one of the No Way Home unmasked Garfield Spider-Men for example, just because I didn't feel like waiting for prices to drop, but I still got it below the scalper retail on EB and even the scalper retail on Crapazom).

>>10952400
>>10952636
I have bought some MIB/MOC DC Directs from as far back as 2005 that I then opened, since I like to play and display.

Except for being too tight and in one case, one having a weird/awkward leg stance from the way it was stuck in the clamshell and twist tied very snugly that it will not stand without a base (that it didn't ship with), I haven't had any issues.
>>
All the stupid cunts buying the same shit cause they think it will be valuable are going to be in for a surprise in 10 years together.
>>
>>10955573
Its clear modern toys wont be that valuable in the future, especially since action figures largely won't be a thing in the future since there's no zoomers or aoomers that collect them.
>>
>>10951441
Was this like a “hah stupid bitch wants me back and I’ve moved on and don’t want her anymore lol” or are you genuinely happy and wanting to get back together?
>>
>>10951383
>that money could be invested in stocks or crypto and make you way more money and not take up space.
Realistically, $20 in stocks won't make you anything significant anytime soon. $20 figure you can open, re-box, and enjoy knowing you own and then be able to re-sell down the line (if you got a desired char/etc) for a definite ROI+profit. Typically though, if you're planning on this whole ordeal, you buy 2 figures. Sometimes shit breaks, so you have that mint spare if needs be. It's like obscure cars - you ideally want 1 running and 1 as parts car for the running one.
>>
>>10956405
Eh, on the contrary - 2020 put everyone on their lazy ass and everyone learned that otherwise worthless plastic junk is actually pretty in demand and that it can be "easy money made reselling," and if you know how monkeys are, once they learn something dumb, it just isn't going away.

Just look at how previously weeb shit got absolutely normalized by now.
>>
>>10951439
>However, if it's something I don't anticipate to go up in value
I think people are, already starting to forget, that we're in the digital entertainment renaissance and it's kind of sort of easy to create hype and desire for almost anything, especially anything collectible. Look at goddamn Pokemon and Magic cards absolutely blowing the hell up, in part thanks to shitty influencers running their scams, but the effect is very real.
>>
>>10951531
>This hobby's largely built around nostalgia after all, so it's not farfetched to think some would try to recreate an environment that made us happy when we were kids.

And what about cars that people collect, never drive, and pray come up in value? And they absolutely have.
>>
>>10951383
You only keep stuff MOC/MIB if it'll ever be worth anything. Most modern shit won't ever be worth anything, and aren't worth the effort.
>>
>>10956961
>Weeb shit

ie non woke stuff unlike American crap
>>
>>10951383
For me its hoping limited ed figures go up in value. If I really like the figure, I'll buy double just to crack open the one. If there's an expensive figure I want to display, i'll check ebay first.
>>
>>10957347
>most
And that's the key word - most.

Consider the following:
>1960s: toys are kid junk, don't save them
>surviving Barbie and GI Joe dolls are worth a fortune
>1980s: toys are kid junk, don't save them
>sealed G1 TFs and TMNT and MOTU are worth a fortune
>even _GoBots_ go for over a hundred bucks MOC
>2000s: toys are kid junk, don't save them
>RID, TF Animated, Marvel, DCUC, SHF, Figma, etc cost a fortune
>2020s: toys are kid junk, don't save them

What's going to cost a fortune 5-10 years from now?

You can't base everything on how Playmates Star Trek panned out. That was a fanbase older then than 80s kids are now buying merchandise for adult TV shows. Honestly it's baffling that an adult TV show would spawn child-quality toys. But my point is almost everyrthing you're buying now is connected to media accessiblle to kids that will grow up and pay a premium for a piece of their formative years.
>>
part of it might just be an art thing, like the who kit is an art to them.

I think a lot of it is people repeating the comics thinking of the 90's, which is a mistake.

yeah a silver age spidey #1 is big money, your spawn number 1 never will be because EVERYONE has it in a closet somewhere with the mindset it'll be valuable someday. It may be, but probably not while you're alive.
>>
>>10959033
This begun happening with 90's toys. I remember 17 years ago people in the TF fandom figured BW would never be expensive since 10 years later a lot of figures could be had for cheap. Then some loose versions started to break. And slowly more and more complete second hand and MOSC/IB copies started to creep up in price. Now there's examples getting pricier every year.
And that's a franchise that had an active, adult fanbase since the 90's(hence a lot of vendors had MIB examples they held onto)- other stuff, like Power rangers, or even Street Sharks, which had no major adult fanbase until at least after many of the initial runs were long off shelves , are even more choice examples.
>>
>>10951383
I admit I fell for this back in the 90's because everything started going with that "collector" and "limited edition" bullshit which now is literally everywhere. So in my stupid child brain I thought they would "be worth something someday" and I was basically investing. Think beanie babies.

I did open many of them however and displayed them on my shelf. But once I ended up selling them in my adult life (at a loss of course) I wised up.

None of this plastic shit is going to be worth anything. If it has value in the moment because it's hot, sell it right then and there. They will NOT appreciate in value like the 70's or 80's toys. Or you will wait well into your retirement for them to appreciate. Don't believe the hype! (you fucks)
>>
Also, people have to realize in the 70's when that movie was released (before my time) there were no toys. Kenner fucked up and had that mailaway bullshit which is why those toys are now worth a shit ton. The star wars toys of now are made by the millions. They will be worth absolutely fuck all in a few years.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrJqtTKeZzw

Found a great series that i've watched on this. You have to realize the full scale of this nonsense. There are a metric ass load of these things. You will be lucky to sell them for pennies down the line.
>>
>>10956961
I don't think zoomers and aoomers are the ones buying these action figures.
>>
You don't understand, one day my power of the force collection will be worth millions!
>>
>>10959534
Plenty of modern toys go up in value, I could name you 3 or more that I’ve bought in the past year that are already worth more than twice what they initially sold for. I’ve seen it happen with Mcfarlanes, TBS, marvel legends, I could go on. Is it going to happen to every toy? Not even close, but a healthy knowledge of which characters are truly popular but don’t get a lot of toys makes it pretty easy to guess.
>>
>>10961816
Exception, not the rule. But I hope the values go up for you. It never worked for me. Not even once.
>>
>>10951833
A concerning number of those faggots buy multiplea of things and impact even the primary market, to say nothing of playing havok with things for folks who end up having to go secondary market for things for whatever reason.
Hogging the stock is a faggot move to stay with, and it's worse when they're not even going to enjoy the things they buy, just hoard them 'till they end up a FWIW in one of those "this hoarder for killed when their heaps of stuff fell on them" shows

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.