[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/toy/ - Toys

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: who.png (681 KB, 1416x750)
681 KB
681 KB PNG
Genuinely asking, who buys cel-shaded and monochrome variants of these figures?
I get it from a business standpoint, it's an easy way to get mold reuse out of a figure, but who is out there buying these in enough quantities to justify the mold reuse in the first place?
>>
>>10952211
Doesn't Todd throw the monochrome shit in as random chase variants that you may get if you order the regular version of the toy, or has he stopped doing that? As for cel shading, it's kind of a newt concept, but it almost always is executed terribly or only looks good from a certain angle. I have the Spiderman in your OP, but only as a one off amongst other Spider-Men I already have. I wouldn't get something like that as a definitive version.
>>
One time figure buyers that spend most of their money on games.
>>
>>10952217
>Doesn't Todd throw the monochrome shit in as random chase variants that you may get if you order the regular version of the toy
Shit, that's a thing? Instant refund for me if that happened
>>
File: s-l1600PE_grande.jpg (71 KB, 450x600)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>10952223
The Aquaman in the OP pic is a separate thing, the random chase variants aren't done anymore because of backlash. They were also much worse than that Aquaman since they were completed unpainted grey figures.
>>
File: celshadpink.jpg (55 KB, 795x1000)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>10952211
My fucking god op, This is the worst of all Cel-shaded figures. Only cel-shaded figure in the entire line, based on the modern comic and not a reference to the show becasue it was live action. Its the fucking pink range, littealy the worst selling color in the series. I still see this at my local gamestop. Its been 2 fucking years as this thing fucking rots.
>>
>>10952211
Did they really fix the side eye just for this release. How vexing.
>>
File: Shockwave.jpg (143 KB, 800x1298)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
In some cases, it's because the cell shaded version looks better than the dog shit paint scheme the original mold used
>>
>>10953145
I actually like that guy far more than I thought I would. No shitty paint really brings out the details on the sculpt.
>>
File: sample.jpg (154 KB, 500x638)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
>>10954963
I could appreciate that if the base figure wasn't grey. If it was say - maybe not white, but a lighter and more neutral control than essentially a shade of black - with some highlight coloring. With Batman, the highlight coloring could have been in say blue and/or yellow. With Superman, it of course could have also been yellow with some blue and maybe just a splash of red somewhere. Spider-Man could have just had some red on his costume, with say white on eyes, etc. Like PICREL when newspapers and cheap magazines couldn't afford four color printing.

>>10952223
>Instant refund
McFart has some of the worst customer service on the planet. I got a Black Friday shipment two months plus late because they sent it to the wrong address, which of course they tried to blame on my ordering, even though they have the right address or the credit card payment would NOT have been approved. They just slapped another label on the same box even though it was clearly beat up right where the label had to be slapped on, with a hole immediately below it that was covered partially by the slapped on replacement label. The box got even more damaged by the post office but they claimed that 30 days had passed since it was ordered and they couldn't do refunds. I ask about making an insurance claim and they literally wrote back "we could make ...." which was Todd Customer Speak 'we could but we won't unless you ASK US TO' - when I wrote to ask about the status of the insurance claim, which I should have been able to make myself because I am the one who paid for the postage/shipping, since they don't ever offer free shipping, the same asshole claimed that 30 days had passed and they couldn't file a claim, even though the post office allows 60 and up to 90 days depending on circumstances.

Even Crapazom has better customer service since you can actually get a live person, even if it's someone on the subcontinent you end up speaking with.
>>
>>10954963
Honestly I'm not even against offering people the chance to buy unpainted versions of the figures they put out. The 40k line does well doing it since the franchise is known for customizing your own units.
>>
>>10954963
Yeh, me too. I just pretend it's a Zod statue.
>>
File: Azbat.00__scaled_800.jpg (139 KB, 800x902)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>10953145
The chase variants are still done, and it's arguably worse now because instead of monochrome figures it's all over the place. Shit like making a character design people actually want a platinum with the less popular design being a wide release, or the platinum being AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT CHARACTER. It's started affecting the accessories too, like a recent Val Zod figure coming with nothing in the wide release and an entire set of snap on armor exclusive to the platinum.
>>
>>10957233
This is because McFarlane actually thinks people are buying like 6 of every figure hoping they get a platinum
>>
>>10953968
It only took four attempts to ALMOST get it right. I brought this up in another thread, but I hope it's like a Siege situation where you can just take some alcohol and rub off that disgusting paint.
>>
I prefer them when done right, which is rare.
>>
>>10952211
Not my thing, but the anime statues with cel shading to resemble the manga are pretty neat looking.

>>10957233
>or the platinum being AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT CHARACTER.
Never going to forgive Todd for making Blackfire a Starfire platinum since that's a character he'll probably never make again.
>>
>>10966070
Todd is not making the decisions anymore at McFarlane Toys really. There was one interview where he could barely name a recently released figure and he admitted he had no idea the bare feet were in the 2 pack with his own action figure until it came out. Mattel guy runs everything now.
>>
>>10967050
this
>>
>>10966070
Yeah if they made some figuarts that were black white and grey to resemble the manga that could look cool as a one off special thing. Doing it over and over to every mould would get tiring though

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.