[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/toy/ - Toys

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Last time on...
>>>10926048

>Superstars Series 9
British Bulldog, Kane with 1st appearance cape, Muhammad Ali

>Superstars Series 10
Big Boss Man, Tatanka, Kurt Angle

Superstars Series 11
Rey Mysterio 1st appearance, Razor Ramon with chase, Brutus "the Barber" Beefcake with alt Zodiac clothes

>Powertown Remco Wave 1
Due to ship in Q3 2024. Prices will rise above the pre-order offer for $24.99 singles and $48.99 double packs.

>TNA Impact
Powertown exclusive Ultra series at $49.99 a pop (lol): Jordynne Grace, Josh Alexander, Moose, Eddie Edwards

Quick news:
>https://wrestlingfigurenews.com/
>https://twitter.com/RingsideC

The autosage took out the last thread. Why does /toy/ even have the two week autosage feature?
>>
I was fantasy booking a fig fed at work. Co-worker asked what I was working on. Didnt know how to respond
>>
If I come off as condescending I don't mean to, but I've always wondered.

Have wrestling toys always been popular...?
It feels like when I was a kid they were relegated to bargain bins and dollar stores. Now a huge section of every toy aisle I see is devoted to them. Did nostalgia kick in and make them more of a hot topic or was there always a big scene?

I just wish it had happened when wrestling was still fun.
>>
>>10956143
I don't know how old you are but wrestlings been on the shelves since I was a kid in the 90's
>>
>>10956143
Yes. Not like He-Man popular but Remco's not-MOTU and LJN's big rubber wrestlers both popular enough that every 80s kid had like one or two. Remco was more territories era while LJN had the WWF superstars to grab. You could do some damage with those rubber figures
>>
>>10954805
I had the Hogan figure and sold it for almost nothing over 10 years ago, oh well.
>>
>>10956454
You really could hurt someone with them now that you mention it. But just to beat the drum, there are less wrestling toys now than ever, since wwe has kinda stopped catering to children as much. Used to be all sorts of wacky kid friendly toys, now its just action figures. Plus, wrestling can still be fun, you just gotta give it a chance.
>>
>>10956492
>now its just action figures.

AEW tried with a new edition of LJN chunky rubber guys, but they failed. Now more experimental or fun ideas are internet only. Major Bendies still does rubber figures, for example. They've been getting featured more and more by the WWF in documentaries but it's still mostly a small operation with indie prices.

B&M retail dictate what products they will buy, no so much the toy producers. Making a bendy toy is fun, but if WM doesn't buy it than you're fucked. So WM and Target get a range of action figures with little else. Matty tried to sell the retro smaller wrestlers (like the old blue WWF ring stuff from the '80s) at WM, but that bombed so they're now more of a Mattel Creations offering.

Technically the Masters of the WWE Universe launched the MOTU Origins body. Those do decently enough to still be going as Superstars. Still an action figure. As are the Powertown Remco indie wrestlers who hold their character copyrights.

What kind of wrestling toys in general did you want to see at retail again?

Plus, wrestling can still be fun, you just gotta give it a chance.
>>
>>10956678
I was trying to say that, from what i see, there are fewer and fewer kid oriented 'gimmick' toys like say the big e on a four wheeler toy that had him flip and flop as the toy moved. Which, big e did use a four wheeler as an entrance for a bit. I recall the 'glory days' of the past and seeing all these odd and unique gimmicks like sweating toys or inflatable bath tub wrestling rings, rc cars and etc etc. Wwe was really pushing toys to an audience that might not have been allowed to actually watch raw, which is ok as vince clearly wanted to build that audience while still keeping adult fans happy with actual matches and tv programming. Kids may not want to play with superstars but i could see them enjoying the cross over stuff as it has that imagination that kids have. Do i see a kid wanting a ultimate elite roman reigns? Idk, not really.
>>
>>10956678
There is a new wave of what I can only describe as “collector gimmicks” where its independant toy companies making new versions of the old style of figures. The aforementioned Major Bendies, and now their Big Rubber Guys to replicate that LJN style. A lot of Hasbro style retros are out there, most fail to capture the feel of the originals IMO. Mostly as they try and add more details, when it should be simple design. Even Bone Crushers are modern takes on the BC figures
>>
>>10956741
>Wwe was really pushing toys to an audience that might not have been allowed to actually watch raw, which is ok as vince clearly wanted to build that audience while still keeping adult fans happy
WWE only did what everyone did. Rambo, Robocop, A-Team, etc. They all had cartoons. Aliens almost did. Doing kid versions of more adult properties isn't new (nor did you suggest it was, just saying in general.) The '80s and into the '90s New Generation was a product aimed at kids and then young teens. Somehow they got lucky (I do not give Vince Russo any credit for the Attitude era) as they let people try a more edgy product as we see the rise of Stone Cold and co. WCW stayed more teen focused as a PG-13 product compared to WWF going a bit R at times. That was fine until AOL TimeWarner was a thing and they ejected WCW to WWF for pennies on the dollar.

We definitely see less of the odd and unique products like the plush wrestlers to slam around (iirc someone is still producing a few of these even now.) There's a subset of plush WWE licensed wrestlers carried through WM in store that mimic the Phunny/Funko plush stuff you see at Target (anime, horror characters, some odd things like a stray Netflix show) so they do a little experimentation here and there still, just not very much. I don't disagree most of it is aimed as a more grown up collector (or parent who is a fan buying something for their kiddo.)

At the moment I think the WWE (and wrestling in general) is trying to find its feet and find its identity. No doubt Cody Rhodes to represent a new era, new belts rolling out, and trying to move people around the shows to get back more of the mainstream attention they might have gotten with personalities like SCSA, The Rock, Hogan, Cena... Not really convinced Cody will be that much better than Roman was for appealing to the masses beyond the hardcore. Rhea could have been a breakthrough artist, but she's injured and they forced her to drop the belt.
>>
>>10956823
I think cody will be good for wrestling and rhea has a chance now to just look at stuff as a break thru beyond wwe. Its got to be a hard wheel to turn since so much rather negative attention is going on during this transition of the entire big show landscape. No more broadcast tv etc
>>
>>10956143
>Have wrestling toys always been popular...?
yes
>It feels like when I was a kid they were relegated to bargain bins and dollar stores.
all mass market toylines end up there too.
>>
>>10956838
The Netflix plan is... Does Peacock require a 2nd payment for the WWE material like WWE Network or PPV events like Sumerslam or Wrestlemania? I know Netflix will be integrated so international audiences are watching just being a Netflix subscriber in general, but at the same time losing cable audience is a big risk.

Netflix officially stated they will not have to declare viewer numbers or subscriber numbers starting in 2025 as the RAW deal begins
>>
>>10956850
Peacock is just $6 a month. Idk if its a value to you but its got a fair library of shows, documentaries and matches. Will i get netflix to watch wwe? Idk yet, but i probably will since the mrs would enjoy it.
>>
Im curious to see how other anothers display their figs. I need some ideas
>>
>>10956143
Barbie, Hot Wheels, and WWE are the three things keeping Mattel afloat these days.
>>
>>10956849
thats a good point
>>
>>10959944
MASTERS of the toy aisle would disagree. Ofcourse motu at retail is a joke right now but we make mattel stupid money.
>>
File: 1713384631434006.jpg (68 KB, 474x540)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>10956850
>>10957237
I am not a huge WWE fan (I casually watch Smackdown with my OTA antenna), but the switch to Netflix is pretty wild to me. Cable is obviously a sinking ship, but only having a TV presence with Fox (and again, you can get this for free) and PPVs really is a pretty big gamble. I imagine the Netflix check was big enough where they'll be okay even if the ratings drop. All streaming services are trying this strategy at this point, trying to bring in viewers with sports. It's basically cable wars 2.0 at this point. It's become very full circle.
>>
>>10954805
Anyone wishing we could get another NXT wave of Elites from Mattel? Perhaps an alumni themed one?

>>Johnny Gargano in his Bluey outfit
>>Grayson Waller with gloves/boxing shorts from when he was a face
>>Dexter Lumis with hooded sweatshirt
>>Meterosexual Cameron Grimes
>>Von Wagner
>>Robert Stone
>>
File: vlcmt8atdv981.jpg (421 KB, 1425x2048)
421 KB
421 KB JPG
>>10960497
Yeah, i watch via antenna too. Gonna watch the draft but i dont go out of my way to watch sd every week. I do have the cw app but ive only watched 3 episodes of nwa and peacock but they dont have the weekly shows.
>heres to ya!
>>
>>10960513
Id love to see an elite Lumis, always liked his look.
I know Booby Roode is retired from in-ring competition now, but Id love to see and update for him too
>>
>>10960645
Id go for a dirty dawgs set. Thats the version of roode im most familiar with and i did enjoy that tag team.
>>
>>10956143
WWE has continuously had figures on western shelves every year since 1984. I think they're the only franchise that can claim that. Transformers, Star Wars, TMNT, MOTU and Gi Joe all had years where the line was dead.

The problem is that the entire time the WWE was at its most popular the toys were terrible because they were being made by Jakks.
>>
I hate banging the drum but if you want wm has a few wweXmotu figures for like 3 bucks. Got roddy, steph and ricky for $12. Really hype for ricky since ill play with this one.
>>
>>10964035
Ricky is excellent. Steph is just Lyn. Roddy is fine but Superstars is better. You can't beat $4 tho
>>
Anyone seen these in stores yet?

https://shop.mattel.com/search?q=wwe+knuckle

New 3.25" figures aimed at kids
>>
>>10964450
Dogshit character selection renders the line pointless. Won't give the line money until we get deep cuts like Lumis, Gargano, Ripley, Balor, etc.
>>
>>10964450
Saw the ring playset at walmart today.
>>
File: jyzdrynuqdt8spvjg2ok.png (1.13 MB, 1512x1512)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB PNG
>>10964450
Bone crunching action is back baybeeeeeee
>>
Anybody order the LWO pack? I’m thinking about selling the Rey and Zelina when it comes in
>>
>>10964103
Becky i got for $2 a few years back, its actually just teela/evil lyn aka any female but chyna.

I saw rocky johnson in a 3 pack box set, a cody, and a ultimate roddy. The aew figures still contain a bunch of released guys and a nyla rose. And even with a reset the same old faithful superstars hang on. Which is kinda funny now when i look back at how excited i was to find papa shango way back on release.
>>
>>10961733
I had alot of the Hasbro (1990-1994) figures growing up but it's crazy to look at a checklist and see how many I missed. Distribution got really bad right around the wave with Rick Martel in his pink shorts (when he was "The Model"). The line basically dropped off a cliff. Ocasionally I'd see Kamala but that was about it so I moved on. One figure I was always mad I never found was the Mountie. I thought it was hilarious how he'd zap his opponents with that cattle prod.
>>
>>10964450
got the ring, roman, and seth at walmart yesterday. i'm normally a MOC collector, but i saw that the ring came with a breakable table and a bunch of weapons, and it made me decide to finally open something up for once and actually play with it lol. it's a lot of fun, and the headscans on the figures are actually really good
>>
>>10964450
Just saw these in person and they're cool. Ball joints at the shoulders and ball hips gives them some good play value.
>>
File: IMG_6349.jpg (2.92 MB, 3775x2296)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB JPG
Finally got around the assembling the fed. Some new shelf champs are soon to follow
>>
Recently decided to start collecting figures, I'm surprised at the quality Mattel puts out. Anyway, I recently bought from Ringside collectibles for the first time, I pre-ordered some stuff but in the same order I put in figures that are out right now. Did I fuck up? I can't imagine the figures staying in stock until June or September

Has anyone else done something similar or ordered from Ringside collectibles? Their customer service wasn't helpful
>>
>>10970732
Ringside preorders are a bit of a gamble in that you might find your figure in stores before they ship. I've had that happen to me a couple of times.

The only issue is that if you wait until they get in stock, the figure you want might sell out and you are kind of FUBARed as a result. So mileage may vary if you want to pre-order or not.
>>
>>10970732
If you ordered the fig you're guaranteed to get it, you'll just have to wait for the rest of your order to come in stock.
>>
Finally getting some new stuff since wmreset the toy aisles. Nothing im sure you havent seen but wwe basic brett was kinda wild to find, the basic kevin owens looks really good but nothibg exciting. Got a case of wwe superstars, but i only want earthquake and maybe randy savage since i love that ring gear. Glad to see this general is still going.
>>
>>10971044
Cool, im thinking about getting those new Dudleys and Pretty Deadly
>>
File: 1600199515753.gif (2.52 MB, 301x405)
2.52 MB
2.52 MB GIF
>>10970732
>I'm surprised at the quality Mattel puts out
>>
>>10971622
unironically yes
>>
>>10971919
Gotra get this. The executioner would look great in any display.
>>
File: silly iyo.jpg (218 KB, 1080x1080)
218 KB
218 KB JPG
>>10970857
>>10971044
Thanks for clearing that up.

>>10971622
I'll let you interpret that however you wish lol

[spoiler] A majority of the figures I got were the Storm Collectibles NJPW figures [/spoiler]
>>
Am I tripping or did Maxxine Dupri Main Event 149 pre orders sell out? Would've liked having her for my Gable and Otis figs
>>
>>10970732
God i hope asukas nudes leak like paiges did
>>
File: 20240501_144431.jpg (1.67 MB, 4160x1872)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
Not much but it is the oldest wrestling toy i currently have. Really love it, wish i had an extra set to actually play with.
>>
File: 20240501_114044.jpg (2.2 MB, 4000x2252)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB JPG
The collection has begun.
>>
>>10973522
Nice! Whats next for your shelf? NJPW? Early WCW? Tyler Breeze?
>>
File: s-l1600 (4).jpg (65 KB, 671x703)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
How many fat, shirtless wrestler toys are there? Otis, Big Show, Rikishi, Yokozuna...
>>
>>10973522
Damn, great start anon. What line is this from?
>>
File: s-l1600 (2).jpg (348 KB, 1200x1200)
348 KB
348 KB JPG
>>10974298
>Tyler Breeze
Liger's most infamous rival...I also got Vader with the mastadon mask, Nakamura from the Elite 109 line (chase variant), Liger with the debut attire, El Desperado and Suzuki. They haven't arrived in the mail yet though.

>>10975068
Storm Collectibles released Liger and a bunch of variants, they also did other wrestlers like Desperado, Suzuki and Hogan
>>
>>10975095
Nice, I had the Green/Gold Liger for a spell, but put had it in a trade late last year. He was a smidge too tall to pose with my elites, but a belter of a figure none the less
>>
>>10975168
>He was a smidge too tall to pose with my elites
Yeah, the Storm collectibles figures are thicker and a little taller, if you have a display with elevated stands probably try putting the storm figures in the front and the elites on the elevated stands, that's what I'm gonna try.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.