[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/toy/ - Toys

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: you have chosen poorly.jpg (351 KB, 1143x992)
351 KB
351 KB JPG
The word “grail” gets thrown around way too frequently around here and other toy spaces. Half the time it’s a figure that costs like $100-$200, which in my opinion is not a grail. And a frail isn’t always about money either, sometimes an item can be a grail that’s just impossible to find anywhere. What does /toy/ think constitutes a “grail”? And since it’s about grails, post your grails as well and a rough estimate of how much they cost.
>>
File: Eships16.jpg (79 KB, 653x462)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
My Holy Grail. The Space Battleship Arizona from the TV series Yamato III from 1981.
I don't have it yet because it hasn't been mass produced yet. There have been multiple garage kits of it. But I'm waiting for it to be officially released. The new Yamato Beforever remake series movie will be released soon and alledgedly it was supposed to be in it. But no word on model kits.
>>
>>11023512
I collect these Five Nights at Freddy's Mystery Minis (pic related) and have been lucky enough to come across prototypes for them. I'd love to own more prototypes from this original series or any other series afterwards.
Its really just a matter of it being lucky with timing it so you can be there when the opportunity presents itself. I think that seems to be how all prototype purchases go from what I've seen online.
>>11023525
I noticed Bandai's been releasing/re-releasing Yamato kits/figures lately. I hope they get to the one you want!
>>
Dread Samus
Jazwares Metagross and Garchomp

I have my excuses, but I still waited too long
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (118 KB, 894x588)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
Halo Mega Bloks Scarab.
It can go for upwards of $1000 USD.

It came out right when I lost interest in toys so I missed the opportunity to get it at a fair price. I'll keep hunting for it though.
>>
>>11023512
Life size stretch Armstrong.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (188 KB, 1280x720)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>11024831
>Life size stretch Armstrong.
>>
The Flagg. I dont know where I'd put it, but I've always wanted it.
>>
someone somewhere must have this and i really want it to complete my Sigma 6 collection. THIS is a grail.. nearly impossible to find since there's only one, basically doesn't even exist because it's a prototype.. but DAMN is it cool!
>>
File: 1386718 (1).jpg (414 KB, 1024x768)
414 KB
414 KB JPG
>>11023512
I know this prototype must still exist somewhere in the world. To track it down or the unpainted prototype would be my ultimate grail, but I feel I would need to go on a quest through Japan.
>>
File: IMG_3734.jpg (74 KB, 996x612)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>11023512
I’ve been looking for a Neca Red Engie for ages in the UK. Just can’t seem to find Red, for some reason I can find the rest of the team but never Red Engineer. Missed out on the line cause I wasn’t collecting and was very busy being clinically depressed at the time.
>>
>>11023512
>sometimes an item can be a grail that’s just impossible to find anywhere.
That's an actual grail, something difficult to find. You know, like the holy grail in Arthurian legends. If it's easy to find but costs too much money for you it isn't a grail, just call it a white whale or something.

Plenty of people use the term wrong here, same as saying "reprint" instead of "reissue".
>>
>>11028916
WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
>>
File: IMG_8434sml.jpg (333 KB, 2592x1456)
333 KB
333 KB JPG
>>11028856
speaking about red engie, i know a few people still want this guy.
>>
Are there Half Life toys that aren't Gordon?
>>
>>11029437
Do I ever hate transparent variants. I would still cop though.
>>
>>11023512
Ironically this guy himself is hard and desirable to find now.
>>
>>11030921
Anon I think he's too old to be hard.
>>
File: gundam.png (3 MB, 1089x1537)
3 MB
3 MB PNG
Upwards of 2000 USD. I just received it, it's next to me now, and I can't wait to display it on my desk.
>>
File: GBgrail.jpg (401 KB, 1449x1130)
401 KB
401 KB JPG
This was my grail when I was in college in the early 00s. Just started getting disposable income and found a complete set for under $200 on Ebay.
Just sold it recently to pay for my son's education, etc. It was nice to have at the time.
>>
>>11023683
Didn't think MegaBloks could ever be of value
>>
>>11034900
Geez, that’s a lot for what looks like a KO kids’ toy, is there some special function to it or is it just super rare because it’s old and getting it tickled your brain just right?
>>
>>11035082
Once you’ve obtained the grail, I guess it’s human nature to enjoy it for a while then move it along. You just know the next Grail Hunter will treasure it, too.
>>
>>11034900
>looks worse than a $10 HG RX-78
>>
>>11023512
>Half the time it’s a figure that costs like $100-$200, which in my opinion is not a grail.
>And a frail isn’t always about money either
Do you frequently maintain such contradictions in your own life or are you just trying it out for fashion? Which is it, motherfucker?
>>
>>11034900
that looks brand new, nice man
>>
>>11035642
That's because it's screen-accurate.
>>
File: maize gundam.jpg (174 KB, 848x1080)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
>>11035089
It's basically a jumbo machinder in the style of the old Clover diecast figure mold. The only thing about it is that it's big, around 20 inches or so. So it's essentially a designer vinyl toy that the maker received a very limited license from Bandai to make, and they're pretty much out of print nowadays. It's not even vintage, it was released around 2019, but there's very little of it going around.

>>11035642
Yeah, but I'm a sucker for how the original mold looks.

>>11035872
It is, I managed to score it from a collector who was perfectly fine selling it because he wanted to focus on something else. Gave me a great deal for it too.
>>
File: s-l400.png (198 KB, 400x350)
198 KB
198 KB PNG
I'm not usually an NRFB guy, but I would stab somebody in the throat with a a shard of broken glass for a Titanic-Bot in-box.
I fucking HATED the movie and how inescapable it was, and loved the idea of a transforming Titanic that solved the whole plot halfway through just to spite Leonardo DiCaprio. Iceberg's gone, chucklenuts, now you gotta get married to your one-time boat hookup.
>>
>>11036375
Ahh, it’s a vinyl, that explains it. Pretty cool! How are you gonna display it?
>>
>>11036891
At my desk, just behind my DX Clover Gundam. I'm tempted to have the other two colorways I have of the same jumbo behind him, but it's pretty crowded already on my desk as is.
>>
>>11037021
Post pic of him and his 2 brothers.
>>
File: 05.png (1.14 MB, 668x833)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB PNG
Mine literally just got delivered today. Lives up to my expectations and more.
>>
>>11037220
Tell me more about this one, anon. Where's he from?
>>
>>11028916
When I think of the term White Whale, I think obsession. I wanted this DCD with the camera (didn't really care much about the stand) and ended up with the gift set box set that is all four figures - from EB for under $35 including postage, but once I realized that I wanted the spare head for both Hal and Diana AND the Super 8 camera, I just patiently waited for auctions where they were cheap and now I have all of them at prices that were affordable. And nowhere near as high as many scalpers are listing.

So I would term these my "white whales" - and you and OP here >>11023512 are correct - using Grail would be inaccurate.

These New Frontier DCDs were really not difficult to find.

Part of the issue here is that some people do have money to burn and were raised with the "I WANT WHAT I WANT - AND I WANT IT NOW" attitudes and cultures. And this is probably going to get worse with younger kids who have been raised to think paying some stranger for an Uber Eats order of coffee from Starbucks makes total sense.

>>11023561
Yeah I collect something similar: recently found it annoying that I ordered four directly from the company, got sent two duplicates, and even though I am on their mailing list, have bought from them, and simply wanted to send it back (my cost) and get credit for a future one, they told me "tough shit."

I'm not going to get rid of my collection but I'm no longer interested in chasing down the few I do not have - certainly not straight from them - or to buy anything else directly from the manufacturer.

>>11028684
Most of the prototypes I see tend to be from Chinese sellers on EB and they look like crap that has been through hell - and also way over-priced. I can understand why someone wants something unique but not in less than pristine condition.
>>
>>11029437
Delicious candy pyro. I bet he has an in-game head like this by now.

>>11037220
Pretty neat looking for a gundam style robot.
>>
File: Cybercop.jpg (288 KB, 680x1000)
288 KB
288 KB JPG
>>11037468
He's the Lucifer Bit from Takara's 1988 Dennou Keisatsu Cybercop line. Basically a tokusatsu show about cops with high tech armor and gear. This guy is more or less the MMPR Green Ranger of the bunch.

He's both my longtime grail and white whale. The toyline was short-lived and it's hard to find copies in good condition. Even if you happen to find one, they can go for $300-400. A couple weeks ago I found this guy MISB in pristine condition for less than $100 so I pounced.
>>
File: 6536.jpg (116 KB, 561x1024)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>11023512
>Grail Toys
new sealed in a box Pee Wee Herman doll was my grail.
And i add to that "voice box working correctly" (there is an oldschool voicebox inside that gets rotten over years so he talks too fast).
I got a new one in a box and with normal voice. It was before actor passed away and the prices went up.

The problem is - i too him out so he's not "sealed condition" anymore.
And my autism wants the other one sealed AND with normal working voicebox. But now that's even more of a grail than it was before.
>>
>>11037220
Holy crap I had that as a kid.
Didn't he have a arm mounted saw that could turn into a spike?
>>
>>11037605
Pretty sick, congrats on that deal! It's always great when you find these grails in the wild with someone willing to let them go for a bargain. Are you going to take him out and display him or just as is in the box?
>>
File: Cybercop_All.png (1.22 MB, 640x941)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB PNG
>>11037629
The white one/Saturn has a saw and the blue one/Mercury has a spike.

>>11037652
Thanks! Yeah it was totally unexpected. I've already taken him out and will enjoy him to the fullest.
>>
File: gundam3.jpg (823 KB, 1782x2048)
823 KB
823 KB JPG
>>11037044

They look so good together.
>>
>>11037626
I had the one that came out with the movie where his bicycle gets stolen, so it was a really good Pee Wee likeness, plus the bike, with the basket. and a bell that worked, plus the obvious accessories for in the basket, and the helmet.

It sat in my bedroom and I also had two cats. I also used to have huge parties with beer kegs to which strangers which come and some asshole stole just the bike helmet. I spent about six months looking for a replacement (this was long ago enough that it wasn't easy to find something like that) and ended up donating the toy to a local thrift store.

I'm so annoyed about that now.
>>
>>11038002
Oh yeah, that does look satisfying. And the chrome looks great out of the box. Very nice, anon, congrats!
>>
>>11037220
>>11037605
Oh wow didn't know Cybercops got a toyline. Obvious in retrospect. Wonder if there were some released here in brasil and I just missed it.
>>
>>11039530
There were definitely some in circulation in Brazil. When I was searching for these figures I did find listings based in Brazil.
>>
>>11040232
Well that could be just fans who imported it at some point. It's legit one of the coolest tokusatsu shows played on tv here.
>>
File: 6766-1.png (332 KB, 500x288)
332 KB
332 KB PNG
>>11023512
This is probably mine. My parents could only afford the smaller sets when I was growing up, but even then I was happy to get them. Still, it would be cool to own this, as a fan of the Wild West theme, and a fun little way to thumb my nose at political correctness.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.