[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/toy/ - Toys

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: d6nw8er17uub1.png (1.11 MB, 1080x1445)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB PNG
Does anyone else pretend to be a scalper when buying toys so you won't get made fun of for being a manchild
>wear a bluetooth headset and business casual
>dress and act like those "hustle grindset" type guys from instagram
>buy large amounts at a time, usually lego sets and trading card packs
>pretend to constantly be checking your phone for the prices, and if anyone asks or makes small talk act like you don't know anything about the lore of the toys you're buying
>>
>>11039912
>I'm ashamed of my hobby
>>
>>11039912
Only toy shop in a suit
>>
>>11039912
No I order my toys online while in my pajamas like a normal human being
>>
>>11039912
I know this is a larp but it makes more sense to act like a parent.
>>
>>11039912
>not telling other people in the isle they won’t be able to sell it mint if they keep holding it like that
>not pretending you’re talking to a board room meeting about what the kids are buying this quarter
You’re just a clown in a suit, I bet you’ve never even asked an employee if they’d accept a tip for info about new shipments
>>
>>11039912
Buying at retail wasn't bad, I used to go to Walmart when they were 24/7 and those 3rd shift cashiers didn't care and now that most places have self checkout nobody notices. I even talked to the staff if they were unboxing toys and just joked that yes I was one of those grown men that buys this crap (action figures). They were cool about it and said that the only guys that constantly pissed them off were the Hot Wheels collectors.

The only time I LARP'd is when I'd return a figure since it's an extended process and I'd just joke "turns out my nephew is a Batman fan instead of Spiderman"
>>
>>11040009
As if anyone would believe the fat smelly stuttering virgin is buying a Lego Friends set for his daughter.
>>
>>11039912
Holy shit, I can't even imagine being so insecure with myself and my hobbies. Fucking own up to it. The one time I had some teenage cashier try to shame me for buying a Venom action figure, I just called him a nerd for not thinking Venom was cool. He didn't know how to respond to it so he shut up.
>>
>>11039912
One time I stopped at a random Walmart on a road trip and found 5 ss grindors. It's was like 2 years after they were released. They were heavily discounted and covered in dust so I figured they were forgotten about in the back and put on the shelf as clearance years later. I bought 4 and left one but as I walked out the receipt checking lady asked if I bought them for myself or I was a scalper. To seem cooler I said I was a scalpler even though I've never sold a figure in my life but then she started pressing me with more questions about scalping so I kinda just ran off without answering her.
>>
>>11040009
>>11040158
Act like an uncle lol, you can have an endless supply of fictional niece/nephews with amorphous birthday dates and interests
>>
Do you guys really get questioned about toys at stores? I've been buying for decades and have never gotten a comment from a cashier or anyone else, and I'm and overweight bald man in his 40s.
>>
>>11039938
This. I don't buy many domestics lately anyway, but my local stores rarely have anything I want and on the off-chance they do it's for a noticeable mark up.

>>11040160
Based.
>>
>>11040746
I’ve only gotten comments from cashiers who also collect toys, or who have a loved one who does too.
>>
>>11039912
Hell no, scalpers are scum. Just say it's for your kid or a birthday gift, or better yet, not be a pussy about it.
>>
>>11040751
This. I've had more comments from other people that actually collect than people who try to shame me for it.
>>
>>11040765
I guess people who work in toy shops or departments are more likely to enjoy toys. How crazy is that?
>>
>>11039912
Going to those lengths is pretty pathetic, bruh.
That said, I'm pretty sure the people in my life are more tolerant of my hobby because I do sell stuff often, and profit doing so. Westerners these days will tolerate any kind of behavior if it makes money.
>>
I try and look the most pathetic I can when buying figures. I want parents and children to be scared of me.
>>
>>11039912
>pretend to be scalper
>get into store as soon as it opens for browsing
>quickly find all the most valuable toys and hide them in clever places
>leave
>don’t come back to get them later and scalp them because I was only pretending
>>
File: pccoffee.jpg (10 KB, 225x225)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>11040160
Based
>>
>>11040746
The sole single time someone commented on a toy purchase, I was actually buying for a kid for Christmas. Got a few Schleich dinosaurs and the chick manning the register said something like "those are so good, I wish I had those when I was little. Someone's going to be very happy."
>>
>>11039912
You should be made fun of for being a manchild though. I very proudly buy them for myself or my girlfriend and we make jokes about it being just for us if the cashier says anything about it being for a kid. No one cares about you buying toys unless you're already gross. You make it so much more obvious being wildly autistic about it.
>>
>>11039912
>not carrying a jeweler's loupe and inspecting the packaging
>not carrying a briefcase handcuffed to your wrist
you're doing it wrong
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (81 KB, 1280x720)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>11039912
season 1 of breaking bad is still so good
>>
>>11040746
I was buying yugioh cards and the latina cashier started making small talk about how she used to watch the show with her brothers
>>11040769
yes the scary ones are the walmart or target cashiers, I once had a middle age woman tell me that the hundred dollar I spent on a lego set could feed a lot of hungry children
>>
>>11039912
no
>>
>>11041509
>I was buying yugioh cards and the latina cashier started making small talk about how she used to watch the show with her brothers
Based. Latinas are the best.
>t. Latina wife
>>
no, I make my preorders, dont bother telling my wife at all and when expensive shit arrives at my door she doesnt say a word because I already paid her off too.
>>
>>11040887
i found several green rangers over the years at my TRU damaged by floor wax because one or more cocksuckers constantly hid them under the counters
>>
File: images (1) (14).jpg (16 KB, 554x553)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>11039912
I do the suit and bluetooth headset, but when other customers come into the aisle, I try to strike up a conversation with them about my favourite band.
>>
>>11057052
Sounds like a great existence.
Shame we all can't find a great blow up wife like yours!
>>
I would sometimes pick up wrapping paper to imply I wasn't buying a figure for myself. mostly stopped doing this with self checkout becoming ubiquitous.
>>
>>11057133
>tranny projecting his sex life
go outside faggot
>>
>>11039912
>Does anyone else pretend
never. that's for babies
>>
>>11040746
In 50 years the only time I've been looked at funny was when I went to a grocery store and put only bananas and imodium ad on the belt.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.