[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/toy/ - Toys

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_1847.jpg (128 KB, 634x1050)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
I dont know why the space themed gi joe figures filtered so many casuals. The aliens were arguably the coolest figures in the whole line
>>
>>11044896
Classified one day...
>>
>>11044897
I could see them doing maybe one or two but G.I. Joe generally starts to lose popularity as it moves away from semi-realistic military adventure to deep sci-fi and fantasy. If we reach a point where all they have left for Classified series is the sci-fi and fantasy stuff then they're in trouble.
>>
>>11044896
I'd argue that 1986 was the peak and the last really good year for the original ARAH line. After that, we got ninjas galore, a guy dressed up as a bird, a bouncing pogo of evil doom, and all sorts of other dumb shit.
>>
Late 2023-24 will go down as the height of TBS with this figure at the helm, mark my words.
>>
File: BuzzBee.jpg (160 KB, 1080x1180)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
Hasbro and Transformers peaked with Transmetals and Transmetal 2 Beast Wars lines. The gimmicks, designs and vacuum seal chrome plating are all outstanding and the Beast Wars line in general still mogs modern Hasbro toys to this day. Mighty Max and Street Sharks are also kino

Playmates peaked with Buzz Bee and the 90s TMNT figures. The Turtle Sub and some of the other vehicles are masterpieces. There's also a lot of fun figures. Great sculpts and colour choices on the whole line. Toxic Crusaders line also one of my favourites.
>>
>>11044897
>>11045641
Hey, maybe action force or that fresh monkey fiction could handle them instead?
>>11046026
Are you really talking bad about raptor? Sir, please.
>>
>>11045641
Since they're like waves of four I wouldn't mind them being
One classic army thing
One bullshit wacky thing
One tooner for the tooners
Troop builder
>>
>>11046033
Ew, a mousecuck. Go back to r*ddit.
>>
>>11046026
All of that stuff is great you miserable fuck.
>>
File: NRFB.jpg (74 KB, 524x1000)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>11046033
The height of TBS was when they used it to reissue TVCs
>>
>>11044896
It's a myth that Space and 90's Joe ended the ARAH line. The truth was, that it was supposed to continue along side the Sgt. Savage line, which had been geared toward older fans who wanted Joes to retrurn to classic real world military. Sgt. Savage also was made larger on purpose so it could be a spin-off that co-existed at retail. But after Hasbro spent too much money aquiring the Star Wars license they decided to make budget cuts and opted to kill ARAH in favor of Sgt. Savage, and then decided to do a full reboot with G.I. Extreme with their newly aquired Kenner staff, who had had hit after hit at the time, only for Kenner to make a 5poa army builder line that zero army builders. The Joes had no enemy troops to fight!
>>
>>11045641
>G.I. Joe generally starts to lose popularity as it moves away from semi-realistic military adventure to deep sci-fi and fantasy. If we reach a point where all they have left for Classified series is the sci-fi and fantasy stuff then they're in trouble.

If we reach a point in Classified where they're releasing OP's image type stuff, I wouldn't say the line is in trouble, I'd say the line is probably about over, but not for any negative reason. I'd probably be because they've already released hundreds upon hundreds of figures and scraping the bottom of the barrel for stuff like that is about all they have left.

They've already released some pretty weird shit in Classified, and a lot of stuff that was seen as "unpopular" in the O-ring and even the Modern Era 3.75" lines like actual Ninja Force figures, weird ass designs of Nemesis Enforcer/Immortal like pic related, I think they can go pretty deep.
>>
>>11046242
>>11044896
While I'd like this, I completely understand why most fans of Joe wouldn't like these. I feel like if they make a couple of these on the side along with more traditional Joes, then I think there's something potentially interesting there.
>>
>>11046247
A lot of "traditional" Joe fans already started crying about the somewhat more sci-fi/modern look of the original couple waves of Joes in classified, though. The ones with more updated armor, and modern tech. Basically, if it is something that isn't based on OG ARAH/the original 13, or especially anything past like, 1989, they hate it, for the most part.

Its way Hasbro slowly veered the line away from a more modern aesthetic back to the OG and/or the cartoon aesthetic.
>>
>>11046247
Ive been a joe fan my entire life, im not some old school crusty die hard though, and ive seen the line go through alot. I think ignoring the more fantastic and silly stuff is stupid. You dont have to shove it down peoples throat but damn, weve got techno vipers now. I just think the silly has been in the gi joe soup since the late 80s, and it belongs there imo. Its fun.
>>
>>11046272
It's insane to me that ARAH is itself a reboot of the toyline, and yet it dominates and prevents any reinvention of the toyline
Then people keep answer "why isn't GI Joe relevant" with "Oh military stuff doesn't sell" and Yet Call of Duty, Metal Gear, a bunch of movies, all are relevant and popular. With kids and teenagers at that. GI Joe isn't selling because it's /not/ actual military, it's old cornball stuff 40 years out of date. It's not even team shooter cool like Fortnite. It just exists in a weird time bubble.
>>
>>11046272
>A lot of "traditional" Joe fans already started crying about the somewhat more sci-fi/modern look of the original couple waves of Joes in classified, though. The ones with more updated armor, and modern tech. Basically, if it is something that isn't based on OG ARAH/the original 13, or especially anything past like, 1989, they hate it, for the most part.

This is a dishonest take. People didn't dislike them because they looked different, but because they looked like shit. The golden armor pieces looked
>>
>>11046324
Hasbro could bring back the og adventure team or any of the old joes in 6 inch form, which would work great, but they just choose not to for some reason.
>>
>>11046324
GI Joe isn't popular with kids now because it's not accessible to kids.

In the 80s, cartoons and comics were big, so it got a hugely popular cartoon and the best selling Marvel comic book for a year or three. They also made a few video games that were popular enough to merit more.
In the 90s, it still had a cartoon and got a video game made for arcades, and the toyline was experiencing its greatest year since the 80s. Hasbro thought it could get bigger, so the Marvel GI Joe comic was killed and they rebooted the franchise. Unfortunately, this was the mid-90s, syndication was dying, so kids couldn't find the station where the cartoon aired at 6am on Sunday morning and the comic industry was also dying, so the comic reboot was bought by 10 people.

In the 00s, GI Joe was restarted. It had a couple of animated movies that you could rent or watch on cable, which was reviving the animation industry after syndication's death. Shock and awe, GI Joe was popular despite the anti-war sentiment of the 00s. GI Joe comics also got a rival, but mainly catered to older fans. To no one's shock, almost 30% of toy sales were 17+ year old males. The anime relaunch in the mid-00s proved to be unpopular with everyone, so the last half of the 00s was just riding on the nostalgia train. No video games and the movies faltered at the end of the decade.

Where'd all the media to attract kids go? They succeeded in the 80s, 90s, and 00s, yet it's like they stopped trying in the 2010s. Oh, there was another cartoon in the 10s on a channel 1% of cable subscribers had access to? might as well not have existed. No video games either.
And those shovelware mobile games that were shit newsground quality from the late 10s don't count, because where would kids even find out that those games even existed? That shit is as successful as bringing in new blood into the fandom as some 90s board game would. TV/games need to be a big budget to attract a kids attention
>>
>>11046653
Bro, did you have a stroke halfway through your post?

People seemed to like Duke and Scarlett from the early waves. The first Roadblock was kind of a miss, but more people liked the early figures than didn't like them, and the ones that didn't like them didn't because they didn't look "classic" enough. The shit that nobody liked was the Snake Eyes: Origin movie figures, because the aesthetic there really was pretty bad. People even liked the updated troopers and whatnot, as evidenced by the fact that even the standard release Infantry troopers go for almost double their retail now, despite their abundance.

>>11046885
Going to be honest: as a kid, I never cared about the Joe cartoon or comics. I just bought the figures because they looked cool as fuck
>>
>>11044896
>I dont know why the space themed gi joe figures filtered so many casuals. The aliens were arguably the coolest figures in the whole line

Because it was only good in hindsight. It was not unique at time of release and arguably just copying shit others were doing and with less effort.

The space aliens were copies of tmnt baddies. The giant mech was a copy of exosquad. The space joes were also copies of space joes.

Joe was no longer setting the trend but copying other brands and kids knew. Why buy bootleg alligator Joe alien when you could just get the bigger leather head tmnt figure for the same or lower price?

Joe probably did peak with the giant space mech and shuttle playsets though. Attacking a cobra bunker with a giant mech was pretty rad. But a lot of boys that started with the line were aging out of it. A 7 year old in 86 would have been 14 when armor bot came out. They would have started to buy music, go to the mall and think about dating around that time. Only the most loyal Joe fans would have wanted space brigade stuff.

Truth be told, at 14, those kids were going to reject anything, even re-released figs from 86 because they were starting to think about high school and pussy
>>
>>11046324
>t's not even team shooter cool like Fortnite. It just exists in a weird time bubble.

At best it is a continuation of cheap military comics from the 50s to 70s. Your GI Combat, Sgt Fury's howling commandos, etc. Which goes further back to boy adventure books and comics and shit like Doc Savage. Also being the 80s you gotta speinkle in a little ninja and spy stuff too.

The problem with Joe is that most people have figured out this stuff isn't really not how the military operates and it is no longer emersive for people thst didn't grow up with it.
>>
>>11046885

Saturday morning cartoons are gone and nick, Disney, and csrtoon network have no interest in making adventure cartoons for boys. Its cheaper to just dub anime than make an original adventure cartoon for boys.

Lol, little boys are so hard up for adventure shows they will watch salor moon just to see people fight a bit. American animation has all but given up on young boys.
>>
>>11047045
>The space aliens were copies of tmnt baddies. The giant mech was a copy of exosquad. The space joes were also copies of space joes.

The giant mech was nothing like Exosquad, though. Exosquad was pretty much literally just dudes in exosuits, that were maybe twice as tall as a standard figure. The Armorbot was huge, and two dudes sat in the head. That robot was probably at least two feet tall. The Exosquad suits were like, half the height of his legs.

That said, I think in the 90s crazy, wacky shit was kind of starting to fad out, so all of the weird gambits toy companies were making sort of fell flat. It was fun in the 80's with lines like Ghostbusters and TMNT, where they'd try weird new gimmicks, but it seemed like in the 90's the gimmicks just didn't really work, and ended up spelling the end for certain lines. It happened with a lot of Kenner lines, as well. The Alien, Predator, Terminator, Jurassic Park lines, etc. all had great toys for about 2-3 waves, and then they started also trying crazy weird shit, and the lines would sort of collapse around that point.

Stuff like Ninja Force and Eco Warriors and whatnot was kind of cool, but starting to push it, but lines like Mega Marines, where you covered the figure in play-doh armor, and Star Brigade with the big, dumb armored bodies were starting to actually get bad.
>>
Wouldn't be surprised if the REAL reason nobody gives a shit about GI Joe anymore is because Hasbro is busy focusing on Transformers but they're still obligated to do something with it's 80s sibling line.
Even That-One-Show-With-The-Talking-Horses annihilated Renegades.
>>
>>11047110
Either that or military themes in general just aren't popular, if not with kids then with the parents.

Unlike other 1980s toy franchises, GI Joe isn't evergreen; it's perpetually trapped in the Reagan era masturbatory attitude towards the military. It's simply never going to make it outside of nostalgia drunk collector markets, without some kind of a major makeover. It is, ironically, those outlandish, neon-colored Joes of the late 80s onwards that might find better success in the toy aisle; certainly people who grew up with that era are old enough to be nostalgic for them, too.

Besides, it's not like Hasbro hasn't reinvented the brand before. When Vietnam made military themes unpopular in the 70s, they gave us the Adventure Hero series. Maybe it's time to try that one again.
>>
>>11047055
Sailor Moon is only airing on a 30s something nostalgia block currently and isn't even seen for being for kids in Japan anymore
What a strange thing to say
>>
>>11047110
Renegades wasn't all that good, can't even compare to the other show.
>>
>>11046885
Discovery Family ran the original Joe cartoons up until last year. With the exception of a noticably-low framerate they can fix with an AI program, it still holds up well to this day.

And what are the modern Joe toys? The Classified stuff that's updated versions of the classics, so any kid seeing the cartoon would see characters they recognize from the toys.

>>11046324
MGS is probably part of the problem, because that franchise pretty much cuts off where the Joes could have gone if it weren't for Hideo Kojima beating them to it. Now if they wanted to make a serious Joe game, it woud ultimately have to be an MGS clone. I personally wouldn't mind, but that's something I don't think Hasbro would do sice Hasbro has spent the past 25 years completely avoiding making a serious full-3-D Joe game.

>>11047150
Adults are the main toy-buyers now, not kids. Parents aren't thinking about what toys kids want because kids aren't asking for any. They want electronic cocaine in the form of phones and gaming consoles.
>>
>>11047150
In the 90s Hasbro actively threw away a lot of classic toy molds for GI Joe (and Transformers and others, but that's another story), and they let a whole lot of character copyrights expire from non-use. WHEN they went back in the late 90s/early 00s to start doing reissues as well as new stuff, they were suddenly without the right to use a lot of character names. Their solution was stuff like "Sgt. Dusty" and "Code Name Stalker" in place of Dusty and Stalker, as two examples.

With copyrights, yeah you get 100 years of protection, but that only holds true under the principle of "use it or lose it." If you let them go dormant, they'll expire in a much shorter time.

That's most likely the main reason why comic books are still being produced in spite of sales being a tiny fraction of what they used to be: it blanket-maintains all of those copyrights.
>>
>>11048691
>Adults are the main toy-buyers now, not kids. Parents aren't thinking about what toys kids want because kids aren't asking for any. They want electronic cocaine in the form of phones and gaming consoles.
That's still up to the parents you fucking mong
>>
>>11048691
>Discovery family
>basic cable
>implying kids watch tv
Might as well pretend that Woody Wood Pecker can be popular too.

You're not going to get a lot of kids watching taht shit and when they do, they're not going to talk about it with other friends.
IT has to be NEW to be popular because that's just how most people get into a series/band/etc, especially kids. It has to be upfront and center. It's incredibly rare for some old shit to just suddenly become popular again. George Lucas knew this, hence doing a blitzkreig with Star Wars in the 90s. A bunch of video games, books, cards, and comics came out suddenly and they had an even bigger push in the mid-90s with even more video games, comics, books, cards, magazines, and toys.

Accessible means it's front and center, in stores, on tv, on streaming, on major/popular sites/channels. IT's shit you can't avoid, not on a safe tv channel your grandmother puts on for her grandchildren because she knows Aatan won't harm them there. The GI Joe toyline is on a blink and you miss it tiny section of a toy aisle.
>>
>>11048691
>Now if they wanted to make a serious Joe game, it woud ultimately have to be an MGS clone. I personally wouldn't mind, but that's something I don't think Hasbro would do sice Hasbro has spent the past 25 years completely avoiding making a serious full-3-D Joe game.
The military aspect is almost vestigial to what MGS' gameplay is, people who jokingly call it a Pac-man clone aren't that far off since it's more about sneaking around than going in guns blazing a proper GI Joe game would be a mix of various play styles.
>>
>>11047071
Hello zoomer who was not alive during the time and gets all their info from fat bearded dudes on YouTube. In the 90s Gi Joe was mogged by tmnt and then power rangers. This is the reason for ninja force & star brigade. The older Joe fans grew up into teenagers and stopped buying toys *which they would have done regardless of what products hasbro released* and the younger fans who hasbro was planning on getting to replace them went to ninja turtles and power rangers instead. It’s not like it is now; the collectors market (fat bearded adults buying kids toys) was basically in its infancy. Joe also lost the young teen market to X-men and Spawn.
>>
>>11051034
Saturday morning cartoons on network TV are pretty much illegal now thanks to a law that requires "educational programming" on Saturday mornings. Weekday cartoons on network TV are also dead and gone. There just isn't any other way for kids to watch cartoons besides cable and internet.

>>11048981
Not if kids just don't want toys because they get all of their happiness from a smartphone.

>>11051302
in short: Gen-X kids got the good GI Joe, and young millenials got the crap complete with neon colors, goofy gimmicks, and desperate attempts to compete against shit like TMNT and Power Rangers.

Spawn toys came out in 1995 and really didn't get going good until 1997, and by then the original Joe line was already gone.
>>
>>11051302
I was born in 1983, I was there for all of this. All I can really say is that I was a bit too young for the ARAH era, and only really got into Joes right around the time of things like Battle Corps, and whatnot.

TMNT was peerless early on, but my whole point was simply that toylines die when they try to add too many goofy gimmicks and whatnot. TMNT also had their fair share of this as well, coupled by the cartoon tanking in later seasons, due to a bunch of changes.

I'm simply saying that the 90's brought a bunch of new toylines that were more enticing (which I pointed out with a lot of the Kenner lines, like Alien, Predator, Terminator, JP, etc, and you pointed out with Spawn, X-Men, etc.) It was just that new and more exciting lines and properties were coming out. They were fresh, and didn't rely on tired gimmicks, however most of those lines also ended up succumbing to those very same gimmicks eventually.
>>
>>11051329
>Saturday morning cartoons on network TV are pretty much illegal now thanks to a law that requires "educational programming" on Saturday mornings.
Government nannies fucking ruin EVERYTHING.

>>11051329
>Gen-X kids got the good GI Joe, and young millenials got the crap complete with neon colors, goofy gimmicks
As a gen-x-er who had a Ninja Force Zartan and a Storm Shadow with camouflage action, you don't know what you were missing. 90s Joes were just cool in a different way.
>>
>>11051329
>Not if kids just don't want toys because they get all of their happiness from a smartphone.
WHO DO YOU THINK GAVE THEM THE SMARTPHONE

THINK ANON, THINK!!
>>
>>11051412
You fucking think. Kids in school judge each other by the cost of the smartphones they own. The rich ones have Apple. The lesser children have the rest. Kids themselves push each other to socially compete with the tech they own.
>>
>>11051412
>>11051329
>>11048981
>>11048691
>>11051609
The fact that kids dont even want to play with toys anymore makes me have no sympathy for them when they end up dying in school shootings

Fuck them kids, man
>>
File: wildcats.jpg (124 KB, 809x608)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>11051329
>young millenials got the crap complete with neon colors, goofy gimmicks
GI Joe was successful during this time though. It was in 1992 or 1993 that GI Joe had its biggest year since 85 or 86.
>Spawn toys came out in 1995
Spawn was a huge change up for the toy industry in general. It's why toys became more detailed and why stuff like GI Joe Extreme were super detailed hyperposed pieces of shit.
The line was influenced more by XMen than Power Rangers or TMNT though, since the cartoon and design made them be more superheroic. GI Joe had already been riding on the ninja craze since the 80s, before TMNT (which was parodying that ninja craze) even existed, hence Storm Shadow, Cobra Ninjas, Snake Eyes, Quickkick, etc etc.
Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, XTAS, Spiderman, The Tick, and a bunch of other superhero shit was coming out of every corner back in the 90s. Superheroes made a shit ton of money, was easy to license, and there was an endless supply of characters. Hasbro/Kenner had no idea what they were doing though, so of course everyone treated GI Joe Extreme like shit on a stick.

Power Rangers shtick was that it was super fucking cheap to produce, because practically everything was already made for them. Everyone who imitated Power Rangers only did it production wise: import live action sentai series from japan and license the already made toys.
This way of thinking is what practically killed saturday morning cartoons too, since it was cheaper to license anime than produce a brand new cartoon. Then Bandai poisoned that well by PAYING US channels/stations (like cartoon network) to air their shit, which made channels expect anime to come to them with an envelope full of money. The 00s was a huge clusterfuck. So much horrible shit went on during that time and so much amazing stuff was produced at the same time. It's no wonder everyone suffered when it all came crashing down starting in 2007. So much shit went down in 2007, before even the housing bubble.
>>
>>11051609
Adding to that, Apple literally pushes tribalism with their tech/phones by explicitly colorizing the bubble/text of anyone texting an Apple Phone a different color if you text an Iphone from an Android phone. Solely to shame users who don't use Iphones in group chats.
>>
>>11052308
Yeah but mostly what they wanna play with is paw patrol because from what i hear kids outgrow toys faster now. But to be fair im not around gen alpha to know their toy playing habits so i could be wrong
>>
>>11052325
>because from what i hear kids outgrow toys faster now.

My sister's kid, they just throw his toys away when he gets bored with them. Usually that's within a few months. Sometimes its after just a few weeks.
>>
>>11052344
Coincidentally, yes. Him and his step-brothers all have tablets to play games and watch YT brainrot like Skibidy Toilet, or whatever.
>>
>>11052337
The parents sound like theyre enabling his retardation by throwing his toys away, which is a dick move anyways they should at least donate them. Also fuck that little brat i wish i could take all these gen alphas tikes iphones away from their grubby little hands and crack them apart in front of their crying snot nosed faces. I fucking hate modern kids
>>
>>11052291
How did bandai buy air time? Did they just buy up all the ad air time around their programs or something similar? I have no idea what was going on in 07.
>>
GI Joe is a fucked because the fanbase is irrevocably fractured yet you can't fucking purge them without killing the franchise, especially after the IDW debacle where they tried to turn GI Joe 100% SJW woke complete with attacking fans of the franchise and causing such a scandal in doing so, that Hasbro had to intervene to tell IDW to fuck off and ultimately yank the license from them.

Comic fans hate the cartoon fans. Non-ninja fans hate the Ninja fans (something that is reflected in the toy line as the movie Snake Eyes subline flopped and the only Snake Eyes to get mass retail release and not be butchered is the original Commando figure). Everyone has a different idea of who's the "core cast" GI Joe-wise, and you get shit like Lady Jaye vs Scarlet fans, Duke vs Snake Eyes fans, people who want more of the 1986 wave Joes (in particular, Wet Suit and Dial Tone) versus those who think the only good Joe from that year was Lowlight and maybe Leatherneck, those who like the DIC seasons vs those who hate them and their poster children Metalhead and Captain Gridiron, those who like Serpentor and those who hate him, Hooded CC vs regular faceplate mask CC, those who like the Iron Grenadiers and those who hate them, those who like Storm Shadow as a villain and those who like him as a good guy, Cobra Trooper vs Cobra Viper fans, those who want the line to modernize vs those who want slavish recreations of the original toys, those who like O-Rings versus the modular 25th Anniversary line versus those who only like the Pursuit of Cobra subline of the 25th Anniversary line vs those who have gone all in on Classified, etc.

And Hasbro can't say "fuck it" and purge the ARAH fans for their utter inability to form a basic consensus because, fractured they may be, they are the only people buying the toys at this point. And in such number that Hasbro can't take the hit of telling them (or having third party types like IDW) tell them to fuck off.
>>
>>11052724
>GI Joe is a fucked
Spotted the guy from India.

>especially after the IDW debacle where they tried to turn GI Joe 100% SJW woke complete with attacking fans of the franchise and causing such a scandal in doing so, that Hasbro had to intervene to tell IDW to fuck off and ultimately yank the license from them.
The Joes have always had a woke side. That's why even back in the 80s it was "team diversity versus that evill white terrorist organization that beyond a ninja that we're gonna end up turning into a good guy has no diversity at all."

It's just that most people didn't notice the "diversity versus white people" theme until the modern woke era.
>>
>>11052337
>they just throw his toys away when he gets bored with them
Absolutely dick move, anyway.
>>
>>11052724
>the movie Snake Eyes subline flopped
Shit adaptation movie, sure wasn't trying to appeal to fans.
And you just can't make a G.I.Joe line without at least some o-rings out there. Come the fuck on.
>>
>>11052647
Bandai shit was happening in the early 00s.
I don't know about buying ads (they did, but nowhere near as close to funding entire blocks or shows), but they were basically handing out anime like Gundam and adaptations for their shows for free. They figured they'd make their money back through all the merch and its licensing.
If you don't remember, Bandai was super fucking invested in bringing out Gundam toys and a bunch of shit that was only popular in Japan into stores. They also expected to sell a shit ton of DVDs/HD-DVDs/VHSes, so they invested in that.
By the time 2007 rolled up, they were losing their shirts, as the anime and manga market was imploding from believing sales were going to exponentially have unlimited growth year after year.

Other Japanese companies who were nowhere near as big as Bandai were also expected to give out anime series. So they made a lot of bad deals and also burderened US anime distrubutors with unwanted anime series just to license popular anime series. These Japanese companies were also creating anime series for US taste, hence partnering up with US companies like Marvel and Hasbro.
This is how GI Joe Sigma 6 came about, which never finished airing all its episodes.
So many companies went bust in 2007 because they over-invested and sales started going down in 2007. Broadcast cartoon blocks like KidsWB ended in 2007. FoxKids/FoxBlock ended in 2008. Toonami ended in 2008. All because they didn't get their expected 10% growth and anime series with free money attached.

You can write a book about all this shit. I'm glossing over a lot and haven't even gotten into the long term ramifications for Kaiyodo, Goodsmile, Tokyopop, etc etc thanks to the 2007 implosion.
I'm sure there's people here who even remember when Gundams were going for $2 in stores like Walmart and TRU, who made big deals with Bandai to carry models and battle damage figures. KB Toys suffered a lot from this, hence their death in 2008.
>>
>>11052759
>most people didn't notice
Sounds like you were born in the late 90s.
EVERYONE noticed and most TV shows in the 90s were deriding it in the 90s. There was a huge fucking backlash that didn't stop until Occupy Wallstreet.

It's what made cartoons that came about in the 90s so damn refreshing. REAL impactful violence was being shown with Exo-Squad, Gargoyles, Batman:TAS and many other shows without any preachy bullshit about morality. Cartoons like Animaniacs and Tiny Toons were directly mocking political correctness (PC was the term used before SJW and DEI) and pointing out how silly it was to kids. The Simpsons, Boondocks, South Park, Minoriteam, Venture Bros, Sealab 2021, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and a shitload of other cartoons also mocked the 70s and 80s PC shit but in more adult ways.

Most comedians throughout the 80s, 90s, and 00s were mocking PC culture too. Nevermind sitcoms like Murphy Brown, Married with Children, Cybil, That 70s Show, the Late shows... it was fucking endless and makes me sad on how modern media has done a complete 180° that would make christian and parent groups from the 1980s feel safe
>>
>>11052915
Maybe people just grew up and realized the difference between "free speech" and "being an asshole." A lot of that anti-PC stuff in the 90s was based on the mindset "don't tell ME what to do or say." The current zeitgeist is more like "we can do or say whatever we want, but is that the smartest choice to make?"

I lived through that time period too. The 80s and 90s had monumentally poor support for anyone seen as "outside the norm." Hell, before the modern day acceptance of geeky shit, nerds were a part of that outsider group too, made fun of and shit-talked by normies. Which is part of why I think it's so funny now that even within nerd circles there are people who think "outsiders" ought to be ousted. History, forced to repeat it, etc.
>>
>>11052926
NTA but SJWs are just christian soccer moms but on the other end of the polticial spectrum. The worst part is the right is just as puritan as it was back then too so now we have two sides of moralist nannys. The future timeline fucking sucks
>>
>>11052926
>"free speech" and "being an asshole."
doesn't sound like you grew up in the 90s if that's what you think was happening
You're confusing how people were acting during that time, because media was far more eloquent than that.
In fact, most people still act this way and it's only the media that tries to pretend otherwise.
Media itself was a reaction to PC groups telling people what to do and telling them to fuck off. They just wanted to be left alone and were only assholes to people who wanted to take away what they enjoyed. They pointed out their hypocracy and shit logic.

>modern day acceptance of geeky shit,
Yeah, fuck you, because you're obviously not old enough to remember what was actually going on or are just lying through your teeth.
It was Christian and parent groups hounding geeky media, because it wasn't safe enough. You don't really see that today because new media is following the new christian and parent groups of today, just like in the 70s and 80s.
Shit like Dungeons and Dragons and fantasy was satanic. Video games were too violent. anime is for pervents... which is still a popular sentiment with the morality police today.
It was thanks to the backlash against the morality police in the 90s and 00s that geeky shit was made safe. Sexual freedom too, but without the AIDS, thanks to proper education that came about from fighting against PC groups.

>11052944
Bro, SSDD. People are less religious today, but they still want to act like the morality police and created new factions to impose their will. Those types of people aren't growing in number, but they did get louder thanks to twitter and facebook.
>>
>>11052873
Ok, i see what you mean now. I was really out of the loop but i remember sigma 6 despite rarely ever actually catching the show on fox. I think this was around when shonen jump started catching hold with kids, and yeah, all that banking stuff really started hitting hard then as i lost my job due to it. First kid is born and i lose my job a few months later lol.
>>
>>11052724
>>11052873
>>11052915
>>11052994

>writing this much in a basquet weaving picture board of all places

So is this autism or what
>>
File: sigma six firefly_2.jpg (39 KB, 400x603)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>11052994
Oh, and just to clarify something "parent groups" from the 70s and 80s are the same extreme leftists you see today.
They're the ones that were pushing "the group is always right even when they're wrong" logic in cartoons in the 70s and 80s. The people behind that group were actually childless fucks, but since they were censoring and writing the morality messages for children programs it's how they were labeled.
Nameless, uncredited fucks with nebulous agendas as substitutes for real parenting.

>>11052999
You probably never saw Sigma 6 because its timeslot kept changing, was put on hiatus, and after the hiatus, got canceled before even finishing its run.
Hasbro really shit the bed with their GI Joe reboot, because even the toys were selling poorly. Kids didn't like that the figures were so huge and older fans didn't like it at all.
The scariest part is that if the toyline had been popular, the line could have still continued on without a cartoon. We saw how the 25th Anniversary toyline was successful without any cross media to support it and the toyline continued to chug along for 2 years before the movie came out.

I'd like to say that Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare probably helped it along, because kids might have wanted to play with military toys, but who really knows. Maybe the GI Joe toyline remained popular just because it was a well known franchise.

>>11053025
>writing not even a page worth of stuff relating to our fandom is too long
why are you on a forum? stick to tiktok... even though everything i've said can be read in the same amount of time as the average tiktok video
>>
>>11047177
I was honestly pretty surprised to see Sailor Moon and the other classic shows on TV again. But yes, everything that dude said was dumb.

>>11048337
Renegades was a great prequel to a proper G.I. Joe story. Focused on a core team, stuck to mostly "monster of the week" type problems with the slow over arching seasonal story threat building to a good finale. Had the HUB and one of the main creatives behind Renegades both not died, we could've had a great, proper G.I. Joe series as a follow up.

Joes work best when they mix bog standard Mil-Sim stuff with wacky, off the wall Sci-fantasy craziness. Go too far to the Mil-Sim or lean the other way too far into the wackiness, and it just loses all of what makes G,I. Joe as a franchise special.

>>11048691
>>11051142
Other then some possible design concepts for characters and vehicles, Joe should have almost nothing in common with MGS as a franchise. If Hasbro really wanted to make a successful G.I. Joe video game they need to literally just take their War for Cybertron games and slap a coat of Joe colored paint over it.

Make it a 3rd person, set based action shooter that jumped between multiple characters as the story progressed, featured multiple vehicle based levels and boss fights and showed the conflict from both factions, letting you literally play both sides.

Give everyone lasers, never use the words "kill" or "died", slap on a simple story that can jump between characters to make use of a decent sized roster, tack on a multiplayer where people could make their own generic Joe/Cobra trooper and above all else, just make it fun. Don't go too dark and gritty, but avoid crossing the line into pure silly. No reason to re-invent the wheel, you just have to make sure the damn thing can roll as it's supposed to.
>>
>>11053149
>Renegades was a great prequel to a proper G.I. Joe story. Focused on a core team, stuck to mostly "monster of the week" type problems with the slow over arching seasonal story threat building to a good finale. Had the HUB and one of the main creatives behind Renegades both not died, we could've had a great, proper G.I. Joe series as a follow up.
That's the thing, the show followed the Surf Dracula reboot formula. Barbecue shows up and doesn't even look like the action figures. Major Bludd slowly starts looking like the cool version we know.
And I hate to shit talk, but the art style really doesn't help.
>>
>>11052724
GI Joe is a military organization. You should be able to have many dozens of characters in your main cast.
>>
>>11053149
GI Joe works as an arena shooter.
Overwatch is practically GI Joe in design and theme, so Hasbro is late to its own party if they were to go the cartoony route of shooters.

There's so many ways to make a GI Joe game, it just shows Hasbro is dragging its feet when it comes to making a mass market media to draw kids into the franchise.
Maybe now that Hasbro has a video game division again, they'll do something big in house
>>
>>11053581
Honestly, the beat-'em-up was a fun idea, but something about it seems kinda off for some reason. Having a GI Joe game in the vein of things like the old TMNT/Simpsons/etc arcade games seems like it would have been a no-brainer, and those types of games seem to be making something of a resurgence, so maybe it'll still draw some kids and/or new people in.
>>
I think Transformers peaked with the WFC trilogy line. And I guess the waves of Studio Series that came alongside it. Can't believe it took like 35 years to get Transformers that actually looked like how they did in G1 and had balanced engineering that's not too complicated or too simple.

It's a shame they didn't get licenses for the alt modes because imo that was the one thing that held them back from being some of the best toys ever made.

I feel with Legacy quality has declined again.
>>
>>11053770
Holy Shit what a faggot geewun wave of nothing but boring reedun crap jesus fucking christ
>>
>>11053772
I don't get you guys. WFC was literally the first time Hasbro ever made real G1 figures. Everything prior to that was a loose interpretation of G1. For the first time ever we got
>screen accuracy
>good articulation
>transformation that doesn't take 3 hours
>accessible price point
>wide availability
>>
>>11053807
stop replying to obvious trolls
>>
File: IMG_2472.jpg (183 KB, 828x1323)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
Mcfarlane Toys peaked 22 years ago.

Great sculpt, paint and articulation. The viking and samurai lines were game changers in 2002 and it's all been shit to mediocre since then.
>>
>>11054028
It's not all their fault. Toy manufacturing has changed a lot since then, and a lot of what was achievable in the past for low prices was because it was done with unethical low-pay labor. Of course, that's not to say modern McFarlane doesn't make bad/lazy decisions at times, they definitely do. But a lot of people have rose-tinted glasses about this kind of thing and can't look at the facts objectively.

McFarlane at his modern best still offers very detailed sculpts, but paint has become one of the most expensive processes, and it's largely what made his old toys look so great.
>>
File: IMG_20210921_031642.jpg (178 KB, 2048x1536)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>11054081
You can see shadows of the old McFarlane in the better figures in the line, like Mk11 Spawn and Violator. Other figures have great sculpts and just need some paint, like Medieval Spawn. And unfortunately, some are just hot garbage on both fronts, like Disruptor and Reaper. But McFarlane was never immune to making bad figures, even in the old days. It just feels worse now because of other factors like smaller waves, less paint, and the bar for quality being much lower overall.
>>
>>11053592
Sidescrollers are nice, but they're low budget, low visibility games.
Gotta wonder why they even exist, aside from some studio just being big fanboys and wanted to license it, because big companies like Hasbro only want to make money by selling millions every quarter.

Giant companies like Hasbro will literally pass up a million dollars to gain $100,000,000, even if they can have both. The effort is a waste of time for giant conglomerates like them. Using their resources to get those million dollars would be considered a loss, because they expect to use those same resources to make them 10x-100x that.

>>11054028
>>11054081
The toy industry in general peaked in the 00s. They might have refined a few things, like knowing that X engineering looks awful or using a new sculptor, but they've decreased their budgets since then, while charging more money.
Paint is noticeably cheaper across every single toyline today. Nothing new has been invented since the 00s, nor any new techniques. Mold reuse is more prevalent.
Everything is just cheaper now, including the plastics themselves.

... and strike that. Those body overlays you see on McFarlane and Storm Collectibles are a pretty new thing. Cool shit.
>>
>>11054128
What? There have been tons of advances. Like McFarlane's sculpted/detailed ankle joints that fit in with the sculpt. Or Hasbro's reverse ab crunch, which is horrible but it is a new invention. If we step outside the US there are far more advances, like collapsing knee panels, expanding joints, magnetically activated LEDs, new plastics like nylon that allow for intricate transformations that were impossible before, seamless parts that do not degrade quickly, etc. I could keep going and going, Japan and China have done a lot of innovating in the toy space post-early-00s.

Paint is lacking now because changes in how it is charged made it one of the most expensive parts of toymaking. So paint apps are the first to go when budgets get cut.

Heavy mold reuse was always a thing, it was just harder to notice back in the 90s because toys were just mushier in general. You even had bucks shared across different toylines and shit. Molds are expensive to cut, so it's not surprising that they try to milk them for all they're worth.

I'm not advocating for any of this shit mind you. I want it to be better. But it's important to be realistic too. Some people are so addicted to this narrative of "things used to be better wahh!" without thinking about WHY they were that way, or how we arrived where we are now.
>>
>>11054161
>Heavy mold reuse was always a thing,
Not as heavy as today. That guy who psoted that McFarlane figure uses a mold that is unique for that character only. There was an alt head version, but the mold is still only for that character. Same with the majority of McFarlane's releases in the early 00s.
GI Joes in the 80s were almost all unique. Same with Kenner, who only went into reuse later on, but even then, molds were still not as reused as often as they are today.

>I want it to be better. But it's important to be realistic too.
So what? I'm realistic too, hence saying the high point was literally in the 00s. Shit literally can't be better because costs have gone sky high and inflation has too.

Almost most of the shit you think is new isn't. It wasn't used as often and sometimes found on more expensive shit, and probably found on cheap shit now only because the patent expired
Also, what's the reverse ab crunch? I don't own a lot of new Hasbro figures, but what i do own doesn't seen new or special... which says a lot about how much shit is re-re-re-re-used if i don't own it.
>>
>>11054267
Reverse ab crunch is the crunch is at the bottom of the belly and the swivel is up top near the ribs. It breaks up the sculpt less than the waist swivel did, sure, but it also gets garbage range, and there are some poses that you just can't do or look fucked up with that joint.
>>
File: microman trainer.jpg (76 KB, 519x580)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>11054366
That's not a swivel, it's a ball joint.
All they did was an inversion of what others were doing.
It's not new at all and is infact inferior to just simple ball joints like this 2002 figure.
Lower torso ball joint, mid-torso ball joint.

Nothing is new anymore, aside from those flexy overlays from Storm Collectibles and McFarlane Toys and those are already almost a decade old.
>>
>>11054028
>and articulation.
Lmao, no. Sculpts were decent and paint was good when it wasn't just washes and drybrushes, but articulation was inevitably crap. Overly convoluted joint setups that got less range than a simpler setup would have gotten, asymmetrical engineering(!) and basic cut joints only useful for a small amount of poses.
To be honest, "collector" figures didn't really become truly worth it until about 2008 when the Figma line started and began the trend of truly modern articulation setups (though one could argue Revoltech laid the groundwork for that a year or so prior).
>>
>>11055030
using the hinge-style joint at the bottom of the abs is absolutely new. anyway, we're not debating which joint works better, we are talking about new innovations. which this technically is.

you're right about the swivel though, I went back and checked and I had misremembered it being a balljoint because the range is so shit. It barely wiggles back and forth at all, the only real significant movement it gets is rotation. which is why I remembered it as such.
>>
File: 401496.jpg (315 KB, 1159x803)
315 KB
315 KB JPG
>>11055211
I would actually argue that Yamaguchi was laying the groundwork for years in the pre-Revoltech work he was doing with Kaiyodo. That's where he learned to leverage cut joints to their maximum effectiveness, which he used in early Revos alongside Revolver joints.
>>
File: 51bTKmmsRjL.jpg (63 KB, 927x1000)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>11055290
This is still an interesting joint setup, and I'd like to see it explored more. Cleverly designed cuts can achieve just about everything modern joints can, while breaking up the sculpt less. I feel like Fafner kind of did this, with angled cuts forming a lot of the articulation.
>>
>>11055290
>>11055293
That's a fair point. Some of those old Revos are still great little toys. Side note, as dated and not exactly great as the old Revoltch Frauleins are, I really like the knee joints they used, surprised those aren't more popular.
>>
>>11055293
While I can appreciate the functionality and that it can achieve some great poses, the playability is not there. When I want to bend a figure's arm, I don't expect it to bend at a weird angle, I just want it to bend like an elbow would.
>>
>>11055304
I just see it as different, not necessarily worse. It has advantages and disadvantages, just like modern joints do. Like you can do very unbroken-looking crotches with a swivel setup, ideal for designs with complex sculpts in that area. Or in some cases a dual swivel is easier to work with than a traditional swivel-hinge, it just takes a little bit of effort to switch your way of thinking about how you manipulate joints.
>>
File: onimusha mcfarlane.jpg (139 KB, 1024x768)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>11055290
You realize nothing on those Kaiyodo figures were unique to them, right?
Companies like 21st Century Toys had thsoe sort of cuts on their army figures, which made them almost as poseable as ball jointed GI Joes.
McFarlane already invented the Revoltech joint 2 years before the Revoltech line existed and also used a bunch of cuts, and other weird shit like pic.
McFarlane Toys and Todd McFarlane himself being a huge influence on the Revoltech founder is why you saw that shit on Kaiyodo toys in the first place.

>>11055286
>flipping a joint is absolutely new
in what world? It's like saying the NES version 2 was a game changer just because it was top loading.
IT was just Hasbro's reaction to how other toy companies were including two torso joints and Hasbro not wanting to change the tooling, so they kept the hinge on there instead of doing ball joints at two points like McFarlane and Jazwares were doing.

.. might as well consider barbells "new" too, because someone decided to use them on wrists, despite already being around for decades and used on other parts of the body.

"New" should mean NEW. Like someone inventing the revoltech joint and using it on their figures (pic). "New" is not cheaposhit like taking a paper hat, putting it on the water and calling it a boat.
Rearranging shit and saying it's new is why people hate The Force Awakens so much or putting half circles on each wing instead of full circles on the XWing makes it totally new.
Fuck you.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.