[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/toy/ - Toys

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: popkuma.jpg (407 KB, 1080x1423)
407 KB
407 KB JPG
This is a question that has entered my mind somewhat recently and I wanted to get some opinions on it. This isn't asking what the difference is between the two but where exactly is the line drawn that distinguishes the two.

The generally accepted view is that statues are immovable pieces meant purely for display while figures are designed to have things such as action features, different mixes of plastics/metals as well as the intention for moving parts. Normally this should be all that is needed: Statues are sculpted in one specific pose while figures feature articulation for different poses.

That however brings up another problem: How little articulation is needed for something to be considered one or the other?

To give an example, retro Kenner Star Wars figures featured at most 4 points of articulation in the shoulders and hips. Not very articulated but accepted as figures.

Let's bump that down to just two. No doubt we've all owned or at least seen plenty of figures that may only have something like articulation in the shoulders. Immovable hunks of plastic that only generate movement those specific areas, yet we still accept that like with the above.

Enter Pic Rel. It's a character from One Piece that comes from a line of statues called Portrait of Pirates. Very popular with collectors. Why I'm using this one as an example is because it too also features two points of articulation in the shoulders, same as plenty of other figures in the past. He also features interchangeable parts, so there is a level of action feature playability that puts him above even some figures that don't do such.

If a "statue" like that can feature the same amount of playability as any other "figure" then what else is needed to distinguish the difference?
>>
File: 61Y+Lkr8mtL.jpg (89 KB, 1200x1200)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
Just to add on further, some might say the difference is the intent on what the final product is advertised as. Pic rel is from First4Figures who went out of their way to describe it as a replica from the anime where a similar one existed in the first episode. Plus, if you buy the special edition, it has swappable arms for different options of "posing" since the arms articulate at the shoulders.

So intent can't exactly be the line divider either. Curious to hear what other people say in regards to this.
>>
If you can play with it and it’s not meant to just be a display piece, I think it’s fine. This could be fun with his exchangeable parts and accessory.
>>
Ok so this is my fact and loose definitions:

>Figure
Made of plastic or PVC. The hair is a solid piece part of or attached to the head. Has to have at the bare minimum the Springfield four (neck, shoulders and waist) to qualify as an "Action" figure. If it doesn't have a single articulated piece it's a
>Statue/Statuette
If it's larger than hand held
>Figurine
If it's palm sized and made out of more delicate materials like porcelain or glass Or if it's obviously intended to be a decorative ornament not a play toy
>Doll
If it has rooted hair and is around 16''
>>
>>11138570
dolls are often way smaller than 16", though the rooted hair thing is true for sure
>>
You've basically already outlined the difference and the line. You can have a toy figure with 0 articulation, like a plastic dinosaur, that can both be a display model for some stuffy faggot and also be banged around by a kid as a toy. It's still a toy, so long as it's not made of resin and doesn't shatter if it's put in a backpack.

A statue is something that will break, that is not playable at all, that can only be on a shelf and requires a degree of care when handling or transporting it. A plastic statue sold in a toy isle- like say, mcfarlane dragons was- is still a toy, it's just larping as a statue.

Plastic toy statues are the worst of both worlds. They feel cheap, usually don't have good shelf prescence, and you can't do anything with them. The thing in your OP post is terrible. Oh a bunch of hands? Great. What are you doing with all the other hands? The figure is in a boring museum pose. The articulated shoulders are meaningless because they clearly exist from a production standpoint and not a functional standpoint since the shoulders will be out of alignment due to the angles and look horrible, which is the only thing the figure has going for it is it's aesthetics.
>>
>>11138540
anime is gay
>>
>>11138570
I'd add that Figurines are also small toys, like green army men, Moncolle, etc.
>>
>>11138573
I’d say you can play with the one in OP’s picture, I kinda remember the anime and pretty much all this guy does is stand there and sometimes fire lasers out his mouth. Probably on the level of a Dino or dragon with little articulation.
>>
>>11138540
A statue is a statue no matter what. But the smaller the character, the less reason it needs joints because there isn't much room to give it any. And otherwise for big characters, which really makes them rule 2, Japanese or not. Despite that, I love my 3P Nidoking. It's fragile and has no joints, but its size and heft is great, and is battle ready for me to smash into other toys
>>
>>11138540
It's pretty simple.
Toys are to be played with, statues are to be looked at. If you play with a statue it becomes a toy and if you display a toy it becomes a statue.
Toy isn't based on the item, but on the actions of the collector.
>>
>>11138611
I think if you can insert the thing into play, it can be a toy. I can’t imagine using an expertly modelled and posed waifu statue in play but I used to play with loads of things that had almost zero articulation like OP’s statue as a kid.
>>
File: ww.jpg (316 KB, 749x1042)
316 KB
316 KB JPG
>>11138573
>Oh a bunch of hands? Great. What are you doing with all the other hands?
You can say that for literally every other figure that includes interchangeable pieces.

>The figure is in a boring museum pose.
Like a good majority of figures have and some continue to still be?

>Shoulders
Again, can be said for any other figure that has cutouts to preserve sculpt. Look at any superhero toy that has an old V crotch like Wonder Woman. Odd angle? Yes but it still counts as a point of articulation regardless.
>>
>>11138619
This is the correct answer
>>
>>11138619
Wrong.
>>
>>11138619
Right.
>>
>>11138619
I disagreed with this at first, but then I thought about toy soldiers versus something like a haslab sentinel. I consider both toys, because you move them around, but I then there is no distinction between them and statues if you leave them on a shelf and don't touch them for years.
>>
>>11138619
>>11138647
>>11138665
>>11138676
incorrect, because if a kid visits that house and picks up the thing off the shelf, he can then either play with it, because its a toy, or break it, because its a statue. The thing does not change based on how the world interacts with it.
>>
>>11138682
Incorrect, because a kid breaking a toy doesn't turn it into a statue and vice verse. A kid is more likely to break picrel if played with than the figure in OP. The act of playing is what makes it's a toy.
>>
>>11138694
a kid breaking a toy means its a bad toy

a kid breaking a statue means they broke a fuckin statue

you sound like some esl retard
>>
>>11138682
>child picks up your fragile gold plastic using vintage transformer
>breaks it
>this was a statue

>child picks up a piece of granite
>doesn’t break it
>this is a toy
>>
>>11138697
I accept your concession.
>>
>>11138702
how about we slam you in the skull with a basic marvel legends figure, and then we slam you in the skull with a sideshow resin statue, and we see the results after each
>>
>>11138682
Anon. Half the toys posted here are too delicate for kids to play with without breaking. Even the ham handed adults have trouble.
>>
File: 20230829_221800.jpg (906 KB, 2360x3266)
906 KB
906 KB JPG
>>11138540
Based toy.
>>11138619
This
>>
File: fig statue.png (571 KB, 1600x1036)
571 KB
571 KB PNG
>>11138540
I think size and intention (of the maker) are the biggest factors. The smaller something is the more likely it can be considered a toy like army men and small Pokemon figures. Then on the other side of the spectrum the larger you get the less likely it is to be a toy. And then for the intention, if its meant to be displayed and not played with then its a statue regardless of interchangeable parts. Something that might be action figure size like this Android 18 figure is still a statue due to being stuck to a base and being pre-posed.
>>
File: 71iXSJbQpdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (166 KB, 1500x1500)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
>>11138775
>the intention
This is similar to what I was saying. In that it's down to what it's used for as to whether it is a toy or not. Not many people are gonna wave a statue of 18 around, althought they may be able to position here with other figure to make it look like she's fighting them.
It really has nothing to do with size.
>>
Articulation = toy
No articulation but gimmicky play feature = toy
>>
>>11138573
What if it's a shitty not articulated and made of gold plastic so it breaks easily?
>>
>>11139906
?? It's a toy, obviously. A cheap, poorly made toy with poor quality control, but still a toy. I don't know why you insist on going around in circles with semantics that are completely obvious. You're getting obsessed over dumb shit that is readily apparent to every company that makes the items- be they statues or toys, and any consumer that buys them.

You might have autism.
>>
>>11138540
If you can drop it from your desk on hardwood floor without worry it's a toy, if you worry it's a figure and if you're crying it's a statue.
>>
>>11138540
>from a line of statues called
So it's a statue, got it.
>>
>>11140168
my figmas are pretty durable
>>
File: 20240507_173829.jpg (920 KB, 1478x2464)
920 KB
920 KB JPG
What if I give a statue an articulated neck and swappable faces and hat?
>>
>>11138540
Statue and figure are cope words. These are all dollys.
>>
Anything's a toy if you play with it.
>>
>>11140628
that's just not true though,
>>
>>11140623
Show us your collection of dollys.
>>
>>11140295
Based
>>
>>11140168
By that logic, all Necas are statues given how fragile they are.
>>
They're all figures.

Unarticulated = Figurine or statue

Articulated = Action figure
>>
>>11147689
Toony Terrors and Fukno poops are staties
>>
less than 3 points of articulation (head and both arms) is a statue for me
>>
>>11138540
One piece got them battleborn proportions.
>>
>>11138540
>It's a character from One Piece that comes from a line of statues called Portrait of Pirates. Very popular with collectors.
Is the line only popular because it's Wan Piss? Because that looks ugly as fuck.
>>
File: POC03 Jose Ucles pic43.jpg (400 KB, 1600x1067)
400 KB
400 KB JPG
>>11150742
Portrait of Pirates is based. First line that got me into collecting 20 years ago.
>>
Somewhere between Marvel 12 inch shampoo bottles and DC 12 inch actually possable, gi-joesque figures

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.