[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: trv map.png (547 KB, 4972x2517)
547 KB
547 KB PNG
Post your travel maps in this thread. Pic related is the official /trv/ Real Traveler's map™, edition 4.0.4

Fill in the countries and subdivisions you have visited, talk about your map and ask others about their maps. You can use the map however you like, the colors are more like suggestions, you don't have to use them, and you don't have to use all of them. You can add or remove colors and change the map as much as you want in any way you want. Don't like this map? Upload a completely different one. Up to you. Despite what some might say, there's no "wrong" way to use the map, and new posters and less travelled people are welcome and encouraged to stay and post :) This map is a group effort by our board, and we can only improve it if people reach out to share suggestions or corrections.

This is the newest edition of the map, edition 4.0.4, updated for January 2024. I'll post the simplified template in the next post. Changelog:

Subdivision changes
>Added Southwest Papua province of Indonesia (located in the northwest of Papua)
>The Central African Republic created three new prefectures in 2020 that I wasn't aware of before now
>Following a referendum in August 2023, Ethiopia's Southern Nations, Nationalities, and Peoples' Region was finally dissolved and split into Central and South Ethiopa Regional State
>Norway reversed some of the merged counties from 2020 and now consists of an unholy mix of 15 old and new counties
>Following the war with Azerbaijan, Artsakh has been dissolved and removed from the map
And this is why we travel lads. A country just disappeared overnight. The old Artsakh has been added as DLC.
>>
File: trv update 2024.png (86 KB, 4972x2035)
86 KB
86 KB PNG
Pic rel is a simple template you can paste over your old map to update it, but only if your old map is the 4.0.3 edition. Otherwise you have to use the template in the OP. Continued changelog:

Minor changes
>Changed the borders between Astrakhan and Kalmykia in Russia
>Changed the tripoint between Chhattisgarh, Andra Pradesh and Telangana in India. Also made cosmetic changes to the Sri Lanka land bridge and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, including joining the Coco Islands to Yangon in Myanmar.
>Made the Southern French Territories look nicer, including adding Banc du Geyser, which was missing
>Made the Azores look nicer
>Chongming in China moved from Jiangsu to Shanghai, where it belongs
>American Samoa was errounously divided into three islands, when it should be divided into three districts. Also added Swains Island and Rose Atoll for good measure
>Tweaked the borders of the East Kazakhstan/Abay, Jetisu/Almaty and Karaganda/Ulytau oblasts in Kazakhstan, as per another Anon's suggestion in an earlier thread
>Added a dotted box around the individual islands of the US Minor Outlying Islands

In other news, there are ongoing clashes in Western Sahara where Morocco seized control of the village of Guerguerat and the SADR may have lost control over the strip bordering Mauritania. Finding an actual map showing who controls what is difficult though. Morocco may control the entire strip or just the road from Guerguerat to the border. All maps show Western Sahara still controlling the strip despite Morocco taking control over Guerguerat in 2020. For this reason I haven't updated this part of the map.

As for Anon's suggestion in the previous thread, which was archived before I could answer, about adding zoomed in boxes with the subdivions of the Caribbean, it's something I want to do, but I don't really know how. The times I've tried it never looks nice. Suggestions on a viable way of doing it is more than welcome.
>>
File: trv map DLC.png (45 KB, 703x635)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
This map comes with "DLC", which are optional regions you can add for a few select countries. It's hard to make a good Real Traveler's Map without having some regions be too small or too large, or sometimes the official divisions are not perfect for a traveler for whatever reason. Up to you if you want to change one or more countries. Feel free to add or suggest others if you want.

What counts as having visited or lived in a subdivision? Completely up to you, use your own definition. If you need official guidance however, I personally like this Anon's post:
https://archive.4plebs.org/trv/thread/2337267/#2340603

In short, any visit of any length counts as a visit as long as you made a conscious effort to go there for touristic reasons. This excludes layovers and transits and such, but includes short visits such as leaving the airport for a few hours during a layover. For living, more than a month for non-touristic reasons, meaning you could travel around while there, but the reason you went was work or study or such.
>>
File: Autism deluxe.png (315 KB, 4972x1603)
315 KB
315 KB PNG
There's also the Ultra Deluxe Autism Edition, with second level subdivisions for the USA, Canada, Russia, China and India. This was made as a one-off and won't be updated regularly. It's accurate as of March 2023, if you spot a mistake, please notify OP and it'll be fixed.
Changelog for US and Canada:
https://archive.4plebs.org/trv/thread/2337267/#2342099
There's also this map:
https://archive.4plebs.org/trv/thread/2427017/#2427024
with more second level subdivisions, but I haven't gone over it and can't guarantee its accuracy.

I combined it all into one map for simplicity. Link to the individual countries here:
>US and Canada
https://i.imgur.com/cU5xf8N.png
>Russia
https://i.imgur.com/WvR20fF.png
>China
https://i.imgur.com/cXZls4F.png
>India
https://i.imgur.com/oOInCV5.png
>>
File: trv instructions.png (79 KB, 945x758)
79 KB
79 KB PNG
Instructions on how to use the map, courtesy of Dutch Anon.

How do you fill in the map? It's very easy. You only need to use two buttons, which I have circled in red.
Say you want to colour a specific region light red, you click the tool that I marked B, and you'll see your cursor takes the shape of that tool. Then you left click the colour you want to use, i.e. the big circle. You'll notice that colour 1, which I marked C, changes to light red.
If you repeat this process but you RIGHT click a coloured circle instead of left clicking it, you will select the colour as colour 2. Let's click dark red. This way you can have both shades of red selected at the same time, which makes colouring in the map more convenient, especially when doing big countries.
Now you select the tool which I marked A. Let's get to colouring. Say you want to colour Indiana in light red and you want to colour Ohio in dark red. Easy. Left click Indiana and right click Ohio.
>>
File: trv map territories.png (637 KB, 4972x2517)
637 KB
637 KB PNG
Obscure and overlooked territories cheat sheet. Fun and useful map made by another Anon about the small island nations, various dependencies and other territories that can be difficult to pinpoint on the map.
>>
File: trv map full.png (561 KB, 4972x2517)
561 KB
561 KB PNG
And finally, here's my map. I haven't travelled as much as I've wanted to for the past few years, but I did go to the Azores last year, which was one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen, and travelled a bit around Norway by car. My most recent trip was driving up to Trondheim for a few days, including visiting the tiny town with the funny name Hell. I use the old Norwegian counties on my map, and this was my first visit to both North and South Trøndelag. This was the furthest north I've ever been, and in the summer I hope to be able to go on a proper road trip all the way up north to Lofoten and the North Cape. I've said this for a couple of years now though, so we'll see, lol.
>>
File: Mapa Mundi Autista.png (568 KB, 4972x2517)
568 KB
568 KB PNG
>>2600235
This year I intend to calm down a little bit after my 6-month exchange in Andaluzia. But I made a promise and if God allows it I'll do the Camino de Santiago.
>>
>>2600243
Based walker. I'm quite intrigued by the idea of those long pilgrimage walks myself, St Olav's Way in Norway being one I've considered for some time.
>>
File: 1675587628422102.jpg (1.83 MB, 4972x2517)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB JPG
Added Brazil since the last thread.

Still planning this year, maybe Venezuela.
>>
File: done.png (557 KB, 4972x2517)
557 KB
557 KB PNG
Added Sri Lanka & the Maldives.

Next destinations will be Prague (3rd time) and Florida (1st time) for doing a honeymoon cruise & Didney Worl (yes, we're both basic bitches).
>>
>>2600346
Given that you've been to Syria (when and how was it?) and Central Asia you might actually be serious when you say Venezuela. What are you planning for when you're there?
>>
File: Gigachad tourist.jpg (354 KB, 1242x1394)
354 KB
354 KB JPG
>>2600374
>yes, we're both basic bitches
>>
File: mapnew.png (558 KB, 4972x2517)
558 KB
558 KB PNG
Almost all done by bicycle. Trying to complete all of Europe.
Small corrections nobody cares about:
>removed Ida-Viru county in Estonia; I've been to Avinurme which used to belong to Ida-Viru but is now part of Jõgeva county; I haven't been to any place located within the current borders of Ida-Viru
>removed Prizren district in Kosovo; thought I crossed the district border back in 2018 but a thorough fact-check™ revealed I didn't
>removed Muğla province in Turkey; I was still a smallfag when I went there on vacation with my parents so I don't remember exactly everywhere we went; I only vividly remember Pamukkale in Denizli province and Antalya
>former regions of France DLC added for the memes; only a matter of time until I get the last missing region of Poitou-Charentes anyway

>>2600235 (OP)
>Norway reversed some of the merged counties from 2020 and now consists of an unholy mix of 15 old and new counties

I'd like to see Hedland and Oppland (AWFUL map aesthetics) split up again but people didn't seem to mind the merger all that much when they lasted voted on it. Trondelag and Vestland are reasonable mergers in my book.

On that note: I MIGHT go on a bike trip across Denmark/Sweden/Norway this winter. If you're free, Norwegian map autist anon, we could meet up for a quick meet and greet. I think I remember where you live. I was actually going to start cycling this weekend but I'm having second thoughts. The winter in Scandinavia has been pretty brutal so far and the forecast for the next two weeks looks pretty rough too. I'm not sure I can handle temps of up to -20°C. I could wait and hope for somewhat milder temps but apart from the bitter cold the forecast is fine. Relatively sunny and little snowfall.
>>
File: mappeddotcom.png (566 KB, 4972x2517)
566 KB
566 KB PNG
Here's mine. Need to do more Europe, MENA and Africa next!
>>
File: 1686116245394547.png (1021 KB, 4972x2517)
1021 KB
1021 KB PNG
>>2600241
Original creator here. I've made a few updates to the OOTCS:
>upgraded the map to 4.0.4, mostly for consistency & principle (sticking to 4.0.3 wouldn't have changed much, to be honest)
>replaced the ampersand (&) in the title with the word "and" (late onset OCD triggering; some islands having "and" in their names but the name of the map having an "&" no longer sat right with me)
Really dumb changes, amirite?

The most important change I made:
>added Trindade and Martim Vaz after noticing two tiny black dots in the water next to Brazil's Espírito Santo region
Even though this archipelago isn't fillable and unlikely to be visited by normal people, I put it in there for educational purposes.

As always, corrections and suggestions are welcome.
>>
>>2600242
Literally no one cares
>>
>>2600594
I don't like sandwiches.
>>
>>2600568
>Really dumb changes, amirite?
Absolutely not lol, it's called the autism map for a reason.
>>
>>2600236
Seamless upgrade, remember to select "transparent selection" in the map getting updated.
As always, thanks for your service!
>>
File: travels.png (549 KB, 4972x2517)
549 KB
549 KB PNG
Just back from the Bahamas. Don't have anything set in stone for 2024 but Rio de Janiero is at the top of the list.
>>
>>2600405
It was late 2022. It was a really cool experience. The only other tourists I saw outside of my group (you need a tour guide to go most places) was a lebanese couple so everywhere you go it's all locals and you have a large amount of access to sites. For example in Busra our group were the only people in some roman ruins whereas you go go similar places in Greece or Italy and it's packed. You see the aftereffects of the war, and it humbled me a lot - made me appreciate a lot of the things we have. Seeing kids that are happy playing in bombed out buildings kind've trivializes a lot of your problems.

For Venezuela, Angel Falls is definitely on the list but I haven't planned too much yet. I might do a tour group for here as well given the current situation in the country but need to do more research. Potential of getting a free trip to SE Asia later this year which will burn most of my vacation days so I'm waiting for this to pan out either way before researching much more. If I did do it I would also try to hit some nearby countries in the same trip. When I looked Columbia and Panama flights made the most sense.
>>
>>2600594
Then why did you even open this thread?
>>
>>2600594
>I'm a seething jealous loser who gets all upset and emotional when I see other people living out my dreams
>>
File: Real Travelers Map.png (625 KB, 4972x2517)
625 KB
625 KB PNG
Can't wait for Iceland, man. I hope the new fissure by Grindavik is permissible for travelers.
>>
File: !travelmap me.png (564 KB, 4972x2517)
564 KB
564 KB PNG
I'll probably be doing a week-long trip in February, maybe to Italy
>>
>>2601487
Thanks for sharing about Syria. You snuck that in at a good time, probably not going to get any easier any time soon.

Didn't they shut down all the Venezuelan embassies and consulates in Canada too? As an American I'd have to go the route of getting a visa in Mexico which is a pain in the ass but still tempting as hiking Roraima and seeing Angel Falls would be an amazing trip.
>>
File: trv-map-wip.png (556 KB, 4972x2517)
556 KB
556 KB PNG
Filling in this map made me realise just how woefully undertraveled I am.

Any suggestions for where to check out? I enjoy historical architecture, café culture, cultural museums/monuments, and vistas. I'm thinking Montenegro with a road trip around the Adriatic and former Yugo states.
>>
>>2600491
Winter so far has been unusually brutal even by this shithole's standards, with temperatures below -30 around where I live. It'll improve next week, and then get cold again. The website yr.no is usually the best for predicting Norwegian weather. I can't recommend enough that you come during the summer instead, but if you do come and I don't work, I'd be down for meeting you for sure :) I'm a depressed and boring man at the best of times though, and the cold isn't making me any happier, just so you're warned. Also I don't drink.
>>2600568
Based, I'll connect Trinidade and Martim Vaz to the mainland in the next update. I've never noticed those black dots on the map and haven't even heard of the place, so thanks for the education :)
>>2601250
Thanks for the kind words Anon
>remember to select "transparent selection" in the map getting updated.
Yes, this is important. Was going to include it in the post, but the character limit made me choose between it and writing about Western Sahara...
>>
try /b/ dataming asshole
>>
>>2602843
>It'll improve next week, and then get cold again.
Yeah I've done some research.
I was going to do Southern Norway on this trip but I'm not sure how feasible that is anymore. It's not only about the cold but also about the weather. The forecast for Vestlandet is looking disastrous. Southern and Central Sweden are looking mostly fine right now, just very cold next week. I'm going to cross Denmark first and then adjust my route according to the weather once I'm in Sweden. I'll keep you updated if I make it into Norway. If not, I'll try to get a buttload of Swedish counties (hopefully at least as far North as Gävleborg and Dalarna) so I can complete Sweden and Norway in one final go on another trip.
If everything fails I'll take a ferry back. Lots of options for that.
>>
>>2600239
Hi Norwegian anon, I'm the guy who posted the original extra autism edition. In my original map I had 2nd level subdivisions for a bunch more countries like Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, South Africa, Pakistan, Iraq, France, Australia etc. Would you mind incorporating them into this cutout map you made?
>>
>>2602599
Yeah, with the stuff going on with Israel and Gaza, I'm not sure you'd want to go right now. Bit higher risk of things going wrong imo.

The embassies are open but you can't get the visa through them. One benefit of going with the tour group, else I'd have to go via Panama. The rough plan was to also visit both Panama and Colombia at the same time anyways though.
>>
>>2603492
Good luck arranging things for Venezuela. If you go please make a thread! If not, Colombia is a great backup option.
>>
>>2603106
Best of luck Anon, keep me updated. If you do bike here, keep in mind that Norwegian drivers become clinically insane when they see a cyclist. You've probably seen your fair share of bad drivers by now, but I've heard several professional cyclists who bike A LOT around Europe say that Norway has the worst behaved motorists they've encountered. I don't bike myself so I don't know if it's true, I just thought I should give you a heads up.
>>2603311
I can try to get it done at some point. Motivation isn't great at the moment, so I can't promise anything quick.
>>
File: trv map.png (557 KB, 4972x2517)
557 KB
557 KB PNG
Probably also a short trip to Lithuania this in March or so
>>
>>2602780
Did you really visit ONLY Lääne-Virumaa in Estonia? If you were in Tallinn that's one maakond to the left
>>
File: 20240112_145720.jpg (3.35 MB, 4032x3024)
3.35 MB
3.35 MB JPG
>>2604135
>keep me updated
I think I'm returning home lol. Just barely made it to Kronobergs län in Sweden. I severely underestimated the road conditions here. Even when roads are cleared properly of snow (mostly the traffic-heavy main roads) they can be slippery as fuck. It's pretty suicidal. Should have gotten spikes. Lesson learned.

>I've heard several professional cyclists who bike A LOT around Europe say that Norway has the worst behaved motorists they've encountered.

They can't possibly be worse than the Irish and Romanians.
>>
>>2600374
Why were you in the 'Fas?
What was it like?
>>
File: 1704375975828163.png (430 KB, 4972x2517)
430 KB
430 KB PNG
Heading to armenia in a few days, wish me luck
>>
File: map.png (593 KB, 4972x2517)
593 KB
593 KB PNG
>>2605268
lmao, wrong pic
>>
File: My Travel 2024.png (571 KB, 4972x2517)
571 KB
571 KB PNG
>>2600235
Whoever made this map did a great job
>>
>>2602577
awesome i hope you have fun in italy anon, i'm curious how come you visited colorado? also how was china?
>>
>>2604915
where in Russia?
>>
File: IMG_20200219_122254_0.jpg (1.28 MB, 2385x1789)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
Kaliningrad Oblast, side trip from my Feb 2020 Poland tour
>>
File: countries.png (447 KB, 4972x2517)
447 KB
447 KB PNG
cousin is an english teacher in Kazakhstan so im going to see him in April and visit Kyrgyzstan while im there.
>>
>>2605558
meant for >>2605512
>>
File: mine more real.jpg (4.14 MB, 4501x2225)
4.14 MB
4.14 MB JPG
I feel under-Europed...
>>
>>2604915
Did you cross into Ukraine from Lublin?
>>
>>2605169
I support that, it would only have gotten worse if you persisted. There was more snowfall around where I live today, and next week is a new round of cold directly from the ninth circle of hell again. Come back in summer, it's practically a different country then.
>They can't possibly be worse than the Irish and Romanians.
I believe you if you say so. Staggering to realize you bicycled to all 42 counties of Romania.
>>
File: 1699697847331384.jpg (217 KB, 1278x686)
217 KB
217 KB JPG
>>2600491
>100%'d Romania
PLEASE tell me you visited Glod or at least a similar gypsy-ridden village.
>>
File: rsz_20240114_084951.jpg (2.18 MB, 3024x2268)
2.18 MB
2.18 MB JPG
>>2605821
Yeah I'm on a ferry back to Germany now. Terribly cold temps in addition to fresh snowfall in central Sweden tomorrow. Riding on those roads without spikes was pretty suicidal as it is. Mom is very happy I'm returning home lol. Maybe I'll try again this year. I was really taken aback by how poorly maintained Swedish roads are in winter (let alone bike trails). In Denmark the roads were mostly fine but bike trails were often a mess as well.
I got into a pretty bad four-day snow storm in Bosnia last year and yet even minor roads were perfectly cleared of snow there. It was quite impressive. Apparently Swedes don't use salt to melt snow and ice on most non-major roads because of environmental reasons/salt not working below -10 °C. From what I could gather at least. Wasn't aware of that. I'm assuming the situation in Norway is similar. I've been monitoring some road webcams.

The only new subdivision I got on this trip is Halland. The winter scenery was still pretty fucking nice though, despite the trip being somewhat of a failure.
>>
>>2605847
I haven't driven a whole lot in Sweden during winter, but it wouldn't surprise me if we're worse than them. We don't really know how to infrastructure here, and I'm not at all surprised Bosnia does it better. I don't know if we got complacent with our wealth or what, but basic infrastructure isn't a priority anymore. Our road quality leaves A LOT to be desired, and that's on four wheels. I can only imagine how bad it is on a bike.
>Apparently Swedes don't use salt because of environmental reasons/salt not working below -10 °C
This is true here as well, at least for temperature. Part of the road from here to Sweden is never salted because it's next to a water supply, apart from that I think we don't give two shits about the environment when salting.
>The winter scenery was still pretty fucking nice though, despite the trip being somewhat of a failure.
Yeah, winter is nothing if not pretty. I don't think the trip was a failure though. You got a new subdivision and yet another cool story to tell. There's no shame in turning back after all, to keep on going would've been madness in this weather.
>>
>>2605677
No this was a separate short trip to Lviv with the night train from Vienna
>>
>>2605169
How did you get started traveling by bike? I bought a used decathlon bike for 50 euros relatively recently, but I'm not sure it would hold up on longer trips. Any tips?
>>
File: rsz_20240114_091350(1).jpg (1.95 MB, 3024x2268)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB JPG
>>2606120
I started touring on a singlespeed and didn't get gears until 2018 I believe. You probably have gears on your decathlon, so that's pretty good.
Bike touring is a highly individual hobby. What works for me might not work for you. It's a matter of trial and error until you find your perfect set-up. Do some touring and find out. I used to bring a tent on my trips. Haven't done that in years but most people love it. Some people do credit card touring and get a room every night.
It's important that your bike fits your body because you can't change the bike's geometry. Try going on a small tour and see if you experience any pain. Some butthurt is normal and can be fixed with a better saddle but any back or neck or hip pain is a red flag.
I think the number one rookie mistake is packing too much. You really don't need more than two pairs of underwear regardless of the length of the trip. If you care about hygiene too much the hobby probably isn't for you. In densil populated regions with good public infrastructure I wouldnt even bring tools or a spare tube. I also believe rain gear is largely useless in summer.
Just BEE yourself. If you have any specific questions I'm happy to answer.

>>2605890
>There's no shame in turning back after all
Yeah I'm not too bummed about it. I once broke my arm riding in winter in my home town. Overlooked one frozen puddle and it was over. I'd never consider cycling at home in the conditions I experienced in Sweden.
I'm also quite happy I crossed Fyn in Denmark. It's not an individual subdivision but it's such a sizeable island it kinda deserves to be visited.

>>2605838
Didn't go to Glod but I've seen plenty of gypsies. You can find them anywhere. Tasnad has a designated gypsy ghetto in its Eastern outskirts. Huedin has a hilarious avenue with gypsy villas. I also took the ferry across the Danube in Bechet, which ranks 2nd place in Romania among towns by gypsy %. In Hungary Marótpuszta is a designated place I remember well.
>>
>>2605450
Yeah though frankly I could do without the light green and light red. If you have region/provincial scale I don't really care to see the entire country highlighted.
>>
>>2602577
What made you just go to Colorado?
>>
File: Jan 2024.png (545 KB, 4972x2517)
545 KB
545 KB PNG
Long time no see.

Got a couple of weddings this year. Cant wait to get back to US after 10 years.
>>
>>2605459
>>2606404
I was visiting my cousins who were also on holiday there, we stayed near Denver

China was interesting, I really only did touristy things which were all pretty good (although in Beijing it's clear some stuff is falling apart), and it's very crowded. the food is also absolutely great, no complaints there
I'm going to study at Peking uni for 2024-25 academic year so will spend some more time there and want to travel around the country more
>>
>>2606092
Thank you. I didn't consider Vienna, I've been there before but it's a nice city. Would rather enter and leave Ukraine from different cities to get the most out of my trip (I'll be in Poland in march)
>>
File: 4vtravelmap.png (566 KB, 4972x2517)
566 KB
566 KB PNG
>>
>>2606849
I forgot the message but yeah, going back to Africa next fall and visiting Wales in march. Maybe I would like to see more of the Asia also as I never been in SE Asia. Japan and S-Korea would be nice too
>>
File: UKVacationGoogleMaps.jpg (192 KB, 1080x911)
192 KB
192 KB JPG
I just discovered the feature on Google that shows all the places you've been. This map displays the results of my three week Summer vacation to Britain last year.
>>
>>2606849
based New England separatist
>>
>>2605216
It was back in 2010, way before shit went down with the coup. I was 17 and went along with my dad and his wife to visit her family there. Not much to be said desu, it was warm, humid and dusty at the same time. I never drank water out of a plastic bag up until then and I once puked my soul out after eating fried insects. Overall there wasn't much to do in the capital, besides going to a local market to buy food or random trinkets. Back then, i didn't care about travelling so I didn't really make an effort to go see stuff.
>>
>>2606856
>Vacation to Birmingham
Do Americans really?
>>
File: map.png (562 KB, 4972x2517)
562 KB
562 KB PNG
>>
Bump
>>
558 KB
558 KB PNG
>>2600491
Update: Halland (Sweden) added
>>
>>2609800
How was living in Paraguay?
>>
File: map.png (593 KB, 4972x2517)
593 KB
593 KB PNG
>>2605270
>>2605268
Post Armenia trip update

For context: mid 20s poorfag here
>>
>>2611875
>poorfag
>goes to Armenia for two weeks
I wish I was poor like you lol
>>
File: MilanYerevan.png (149 KB, 1656x240)
149 KB
149 KB PNG
>>2613290
Milan to Yerevan is $74 round trip, how broke are you?
>>
>>2613297
i can barely afford le train to Busto Arsizio
>>
>>2613290
I went for 5 days, not 2 weeks. It was very cheap. I spent about 150 euros for flights and accomodation (which was a nice AirBnB smack dab in the middle of Yerevan), plus another circa 100 euros for all my expenses (including museum tickets, taxis around the country, restaurant meals etc). I could have spent much less if I wanted to, while still having a nice time. As long as you're a little bit adventurous, Armenia is probably one of the best options for a budget trip if you're from Europe: tons of intersting stuff to do, friendly people, no visa required, and everything is very, very cheap by euro standards.
>>2613512
Non c'è nessuna buona ragione per andare a busto arsizio
>>
>>2613883
è un esempio coglione
>>
File: C1 Bezocht.png (599 KB, 4972x2517)
599 KB
599 KB PNG
>>
>>2614697
Who are you and why do you care enough to tell me you don't care?
>>
>>2600496
Hey OP. Do you bet that this guy
>>2614697
>>2600594
is the Italian brainlet? You and I both left his general without making a fuss, and later expressed our disappointed in him. Seems like he's majorly butthurt about it. A month after you made this thread I posted my map because I was travelling, and immediately a few hours later he leaves a butthurt comment. He checked this thread daily just to sperg out at me. And then he deleted his post because he knows he's just making himself look more and more ridiculous. What a pathetic loser.
>>
File: travelmap.png (564 KB, 4972x2517)
564 KB
564 KB PNG
Went to Oman for a few days last month. Was neat, but if I had to do it over again I wouldn't stay in Muscat.
Nothing new planned at the moment.
>>
File: 1665352921709493.png (551 KB, 4972x2517)
551 KB
551 KB PNG
>>
>>2615856
I was going to say you didn't put enough effort into the borders, but then I saw Antarctica. Well done.
>>
>>2615858
He really fucked up with Austria, East Prussia and Luxemburg though.
>>
File: WorldMapTravel.png (563 KB, 4972x2517)
563 KB
563 KB PNG
Balkans trip soon
>>
>>2615856
No Argentina?
>>
>>2615271
I think you're right. He replied to the both of us only hours after we posted. Holy shit, what a loser indeed lol. There's no better feeling than ignoring a seething retard, which only causes them to seethe more.
>>
File: 1626360479399.png (584 KB, 4972x2517)
584 KB
584 KB PNG
>>
>>2616568
what was Tripoli and the Sahara like?
>>
>>2616568
Lmao actual ilegal refugee
>>
>>2616568
It would be a nice touch to include a "have lived before" on the Libyan coast implying you were held at one of the salve markets.
>>
File: travel map.png (553 KB, 4972x2517)
553 KB
553 KB PNG
First time doing this. Does regions visited places include place i've only driven through or does it strictly places i've stopped at to visit?
>>
>>2617142
I don't want to gatekeep, but if it were me, I would strictly stick to places that I've actually visited.
>>
File: travel map.png (553 KB, 4972x2517)
553 KB
553 KB PNG
>>2617145
It's fine I asked that question because I didn't include them originally and I wondered if others did so. I updated my map to included the place I lived in Poland when I was on rotation over there.
>>
>>2617147
If you ever want to go FULL MURRICAN, you can color in more US territories. Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands are a good start, but there's also:
>US Minor Outlying Islands (scroll down from Hawaii and it's those two perforated boxes; they connect to a long-ass line that wraps around to the other side of the map, where it's connected to several more perforated boxes)
>Navassa Island (the little box between Jamaica and Haiti)
>Northern Mariana Islands (scroll down from southeastern Japan, and it's that big perforated box)
>Guam (the slim box right underneath the Northern Mariana Islands)
>American Samoa (on the right side of the map, there is a clusterfuck of island boxes; it's the most bottom-right box that's touching the curved edge of the map)
America is far-reaching because YOO ESS AYY NUMBAH ONE
>>
>>2617150
good advice ill start now
>>
File: real trv.png (557 KB, 4972x2517)
557 KB
557 KB PNG
At some point I got lazy and so the yellows and the dark greens aren't that accurate.
>>
>>2617142
OP here. The official rule is "it's up to you". If you've driven through a place and feel like you've "visited" it, then mark it as visited on your map. I personally would only include it if I actually stopped my car and walked out to see or do something. Doesn't have to be much, doesn't have to be for a long time, but it must be something. One of the Norwegian counties I've "visited" on my own map is because of a ten minute stop to look at a train station with a funny name. For me, that counts. I think this definition works the best, but you can (and should) make up your own mind about what counts for you. If you roadtrip a lot, adding a different color for "drove through" would probably make sense for your map, you can also add the US counties to your map if that's where you drive, found here >>2600239
>>
File: travel map.png (558 KB, 4972x2517)
558 KB
558 KB PNG
Heading out to the East coast for an Atlantic Music fest with the boys. I have wanted to go since I was a kid and it's looking like it will finally happen.
Might cut through New England because it is just a smidgeon quicker.
I've been trying to groom someone into coming with me to Taiwan and Hong Kong as well.
I absolutely loved Japan and want to see more of that part of the world but I am still young (at heart) and don't want to do a solo trip.
>>
>>2600242
I care. Keep it up Norway bro you're the light of this board
>>
File: 1707948499913029.jpg (124 KB, 672x900)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>2619374
That's just about the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me, thank you Anon :)
>>
File: 1635869996698.png (562 KB, 4972x2517)
562 KB
562 KB PNG
>>2600235
I was living in India long-term up until last year. Recently moved back to the U.S. DESU, I miss India quite a lot, but am otherwise happy with the change in pace.

No big travel plans for foreseeable future, other than:
>taking a 5-6 day trip with my wife to Iceland or elsewhere in May
>taking a 14-day trip to Turkey in June for my best friend's wedding
>taking a 6-10 day trip to El Salvador some time before mid-summer

I've decreased my workload and am applying to a handful of graduate programs this coming September. If I get in anywhere--I think I will--I'm going to spend all of next summer in India. Until then, it's just studying and being more of a poorfag than I've been in ages.

also,
>inb4 "taking the bus doesn't count!!!!"
>the unbroken line of subregions in Eastern Europe was part of a solo hitchhiking trip I took in 2014--I hitchhiked through all of those regions, and camped and/or stayed with local people in most

>also, have visited several countries multiple times--India, Colombia, Turkey, etc--so it's not all from a single trip
>>
>>2619854
Nice map. Why were you living in India?
>>
File: 1704375975828163.png (557 KB, 4972x2517)
557 KB
557 KB PNG
t. college student graduating this year
>>
>>2602780
Damn, you haven't even been to Italy. Only worthwhile cities are Milan, Palermo, Bari(beaches), Venice (tourist trap), Rome (hell with some good arches). Istanbul is very beautiful. I'm biased but southern Albania is the most beautiful. That or Montenegro (Kotor especially).
>>
>>2605672
What are some highlights of China?
>>
>>2600496
What’s there to see in New Guinea? Apart from the cannibalism lol.
>>
>>2621294
>lived in Eastern Albania
Story?
>going to Jordan
What's your plans? I lived there for a couple of months and can give you some tips if you want.
>>
>>2621774

Lived there during my gap semester (when covid was dying down years ago). Went with my pops to renovate an inherited farm house. Was nice cause I could do a lotta side solo travel in the Balkans.

Jordan trip is for spring break. Got a car rented. Going with my gf to see Amman (markets, roman ruins, mosques, museums), Bethany beyond the Jordan, Karak Castle, Petra, and Wadi Rum. I researched and planned very well. Post whatever tips you have.
>>
>>2621123
I've visited India dozens of times over the course of the past 11-12 years, both for fun and--later--for academic research. Ended up meeting somebody and getting married. Lived in Delhi and Kolkata for a while, but recently moved back to America.
>>
File: map travel 2024.png (561 KB, 4972x2517)
561 KB
561 KB PNG
>>2600243
How to spot a Mineiro
>they eat pão de queijo
>they say "uai"
>they have visited Florida or have a relative living there
>>
557 KB
557 KB PNG
Trieste was good for a weekend
>>
>>2622355
At least they filled their own country correctly.
>>
>>2623221
Recommendations for Norway?
>>
File: Untitled9_20240227001232.png (939 KB, 4972x2517)
939 KB
939 KB PNG
I'm working on it. Mexico and the rest of the states first, then I'm planning on the Iberian peninsula, Southern France, and Italy.
>>
>>2623436
I only know the country north of Narvik, so if you're in that region your options are either limited (regarding settlements) or endless (any kind of outdoor stuff, the landscape is gorgeous everywhere) anyway. Tromso has some fine museums, and the WW2 stuff in Narvik is pretty interesting. The hike to Knivskjelloden is decent, gets you to a small peninsula 1.4 km north of the North Cape with good views of the latter. Haven't done any multi day hikes but I think there are many blogs recommending good routes if you're into that. Public transport is really limited so check schedules online or hitchhike. Can definitely recommend the Stockholm-Narvik night train along the iron ore line, one of the best European long distance rail journeys.
>>
File: 3 Continents.png (1.47 MB, 1347x755)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB PNG
>>2600235
Does anyone have the correct version with Ukraine showing all the territory they lost over the past two years?
>>
>>2623490
why would you bother visiting the entire uk?
the only worthwhile parts are London, Wales, and Cornwall
>>
>>2624104
check the beginning of the last thread
>2624385
cope harder, Ukraine will loose the war until the end of the year
>>
>>2624460
The map that was posted in that thread was completely incorrect, no matter what side you're on. It showed territories as belonging to Russia even though Russian forces never advanced as far. Besides, it's an ongoing conflict, so changing the map now before things settle would be imprudent.
>>
>>2624385
Well, we know who the indian mod supports now. Unsurprisingly, turd worlders stick together.
>>
File: trv map.png (561 KB, 4972x2517)
561 KB
561 KB PNG
would like to go to portugal and bavaria this year
if i've got a lot of money then maybe korea
>>
>>2606151
helps with visibility when there's a tiny province they've been which might be hard to see without the light green
>>
>>2623221
i slept on the street in trieste once
>>
File: 1704375975828163.png (552 KB, 4972x2517)
552 KB
552 KB PNG
>>2600235
im getting mapmogged by everyone
my excuse is 18
>>
File: 2024 Where I've Been.png (5.04 MB, 4972x2517)
5.04 MB
5.04 MB PNG
I have not been to Sakhalin. That was a mistake. I tried to fix it in paint after I had saved it, but it kept fucking up and I didn't want to start over
>>
File: Map.png (555 KB, 4972x2517)
555 KB
555 KB PNG
Okay.
>>
File: Map.png (570 KB, 4972x2517)
570 KB
570 KB PNG
>>2625014
Whoops, fixed.
>>
>>2624933
Of all the abysmal ways I've seen of coloring this map, that one really picks up the crown.
>>
>>2624933
>18 year olds are born in 2006 now
>>2626008
They probably don't even know how to use MS Paint. Looks like we're getting old anon
>>
File: 1704375975828163.png (441 KB, 4972x2517)
441 KB
441 KB PNG
Mines quite basic but will be adding heavily too it over the next two years.

About to do a pretty extensive eurotrip (hopefully) haven't added more into "going soon" as I have not decided on a few locations but the ones highlighted are a definite.

>will be living in Ireland next year.
>visited Nepal because it was free

My excuse is that im a homeowner.
>>
>>2626008
Probably did it on their smartphone.
>>
>>2626335
>their
This isn't reddit, you can just say his.
>>
>>2626312
how did you get a free Nepal trip?
>>
>>2627327
University studies, one of my lecturers is Nepalese and proposed a trip
>>
File: 1704375975828163.png (558 KB, 4972x2517)
558 KB
558 KB PNG
This was fun.

Doesn't mark Seychelles and Mauritius very well.
>>
File: map_2024.png (487 KB, 4972x2517)
487 KB
487 KB PNG
Here's mine.
Most Europe was done with my bike in a 7 month trip.
I'll go in Japan in a few month to live there and will probably visit most of this (maybe in bike, I don't know yet)
>>
File: worldmap.png (555 KB, 4972x2517)
555 KB
555 KB PNG
Added Singapore and philippines. Moving to China in a week so will probably add South Korea, Japan and 'nam soon
>>
>>2630748
What's with that white line going from Nevada to Guatemala?
>>
>>2630768

A misstake made but cba to redo the entire map to fix it
>>
>>2629112
How was Lesotho? I don't know too many people who go there, much less know about it.
>>
File: mapo.png (550 KB, 4972x2517)
550 KB
550 KB PNG
Pretty much a basic bitch right now but will be adding most of SEA China and S.Korea soon hopefully.
>>
>>2630748
>goes to all of France except Paris
but why
>>
File: 1697694983877002.png (788 KB, 1357x960)
788 KB
788 KB PNG
>>2631114
>>goes to all of France except Paris
>>
File: Travel_20240316134355.png (955 KB, 4972x2517)
955 KB
955 KB PNG
Canada and New York I visited when I was a baby so I don’t remember much. Sometime I wanna visit Utah, Montana, or one of the Dakotas along with Maine. I hope to someday visit Alberta, Poland, and Japan internationally
>>
File: Travel_20240316135218.png (956 KB, 4972x2517)
956 KB
956 KB PNG
>>2631117
Mistakenly colored in Georgia wrong. Have a wedding I’m attending in Kentucky soon, how is the state for any KYbros here?
>>
File: 1704375975828163.png (548 KB, 4972x2517)
548 KB
548 KB PNG
>>
>>2631114

Why would I ever want to visit that shithole. I have avoided all of Africa as well
>>
>>2631411
But anon, you can visit the Île-de-France region without actually going into Paris.
>>
>>2630844
There's fuck all there besides mountains and views. I was small child in the 90s when my family travelled through.
>>
557 KB
557 KB PNG
>>2604915
>short trip to Lithuania
done it now
>>
File: travelmap.png (550 KB, 4972x2517)
550 KB
550 KB PNG
>>2600235
As i filled this out i realized i haven't really traveled as much as i thought. My dream trip is Russia/South America although my most realistic option is to visit the US again since i quite enjoyed my last two visits there. I'm also missing a lot of Europe.
One of my most memorable trips was the Israel one which was just last April before the whole place went to shit lol
>>
>>2605672
How did you enjoy Wichita uwu
>>
How do you guys even get money for this?
>>
>>2634183
Not every visit is expensive or extensive. In theory, you can cover a lot of ground on a bicycle and sleep in a tent. Poor people ride bikes and sleep outside all the time.
>>
>>2634183
By not wasting it on a social life, relationships, or my own place.
>>
Bump
>>
>>2600241
Remove Danebro from our country, we have our own flag
>>
File: travel_map.png (455 KB, 4972x2517)
455 KB
455 KB PNG
I want to go to Russia but I'm concerned that if I go it gives me problems to enter Japan again. A friend had a similar problem after going to Cuba in the US.
>>
>>2637564
You can enter Japan with North Korean stamps in your passport so no worries about going to Russia in that aspect.
>>
File: 1704375975828163.png (553 KB, 4972x2517)
553 KB
553 KB PNG
>>2600235
Cool thread, I need to get out more.
No immediate plans, but this summer I'd like to go to Philly, it's been over a decade, and go out west to see the national parks, maybe back to Chicago again too. Next summer I hope to intern in the bay area or Seattle, and after that, study abroad somewhere. I'm thinking Tokyo maybe, I'd love to see the flood control, railroad, and bridge infrastructure, and it looks like there are tours for a bunch of those projects like g-cans and the seto oohashi. Also want to see Russia at some point, the metro systems look so cool, as well as Chongqing and Taiwan.
Just remembered I've been to Poland lmao have to fix map
>>2624992
You have to visit Sakhalin now
>>
File: cU5xf8N.png (91 KB, 1185x729)
91 KB
91 KB PNG
>>2638042
my usa map. I've lived in two counties in pa but which ones? that's a secret
>>
>>2615271
I only just saw this.

I am >>2600496 and I am not Italian.
>>
File: real traveler map done.jpg (1.82 MB, 4972x2517)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB JPG
>>2600235
Someone red pill me on Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan pls
>>
>>2638394
Lived there for a while, what is your plan in Eastern Kazakhstan?
You should definitely consider Naryn or Osh as well, Astana for shits and giggles.
>>
>>2638477
Was debating flying into Astana because it seems fucking weird. Maybe go up to Burabay while there. Then from there take a cheap flight to some random city if you have any recommendations besides Almaty? I will end Kazakhstan by flying from Almaty to Batumi. I'm into mountains and shit, which is why I'm looking to the east part of the country. I know Kyrgyzstan is more mountainous, but I can't get a direct flight to Batumi out of there. A lot of people who have been there on this board shill Osh pretty hard, but I've never heard of Naryn.
>>
File: trv map.png (525 KB, 4972x2517)
525 KB
525 KB PNG
Jesus I'm so fucking boring...
In Aus as a kid everyone was stunned that I had even been to another country let alone *4*! But now compared to you travelers all my reading travelogues and history doesn't really mean anything. I'm 18 and I'm going to the UK for uni next year if I'm lucky enough to have debt and I'll be spending the next 40 years doing the same thing I've spent the last nearly 20 years, dreaming about exploring the world just hopefully from my Westminster desk and not my shitty public school one. I'd love to see Iceland or Burma or Botswana, basically anywhere that Jeremy Clarkson liked and talked about but I feel like I've fucked it all up by going down a path of public service instead. I might be able to go to Spain on the weekend or when I get kicked out for cocaine and prostitutes but I won't be able to go hiking in the mountains or try journeying across Africa with nothing but a shitbox, a compass and a map.
>>
File: IMG_4398.jpg (175 KB, 728x960)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
My map makes me sad because I want to see and do more but I feel such a void when going to new places and finding annoying people everywhere, from greedy locals to obnoxious tourists. Trust me I go way out the beaten path, and I spend a lot longer there than visitors typically do, months at minimum, and learning some of the language, but it doesn't change anything. Feels like everyone is still ignorant, draining, money hungry, and close minded, or opportunist.
>>
>>2634284
Shit isn't this the realest.
>>2634183
Work in jobs with provided living or live cheaply and splurge on travel and realize the money is gone woopsies better work again, but also saving on meals here and there because I am beautiful and hey if he is gonna offer what is the difference to some dude lucking out on crypto or using your parents money? Mostly I worked and I went through a lot to even support this dream.
>>
File: Charyn_canyon.jpg (141 KB, 800x600)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>2638509
>Astana
It's Dubai with a bit more soul, two days should be enough to check out the Nazarbayev hand in the tower, the tent mall and the national museum.
>Burabay
Good choice, definitely less touristic than the Big Almaty Lake
>Northeast KZ
You could go to Pavlodar if you're interested in Russians, generally flying works, but the size of Kazakhstan only shows when you're travelling by train.
>Southeast
Definitely stop in Almaty, the most successful "Soviet" city of Central Asia.
If you're up for it do an overland trip to Kyrgyzstan via Charyn canyon (pic related) and the Kegen border, maybe spend a night or two at the shores of Issyk-Kul to relax.
>Naryn
It's the most Kyrgyz part of Kyrgyzstan, as the North has heavy Russian influence and the South does have many Uzbeks and Tajiks.
There's even a route towards Jalal-Abad/Osh if you're adventurous.
>Osh
The part of the Fergana valley burgers can visit without a visa. I prefer the Uzbek cities of Namagan/Margilan, but I understand that the crossing the border isn't for everyone.
>Bishkek
Fairly boring to visit, great to live in.
It's the most liberal city of Central Asia but still not fully Western. 5 hours away from Almaty airport, so it's fairly close for your onward flight to Georgia.
>>
File: C1 Bezocht.png (599 KB, 4972x2517)
599 KB
599 KB PNG
Just got back from a road trip to the Alps. I've added the Saarland and South Tyrol to my map. I've crossed many municipalities in Belgium, France, Luxemburg, Germany, Austria and Italy, all of them with unique flags. If only there were a flag general somewhere that wasn't run by a pathetic moron.

>>2638309
Sorry, I clicked the wrong post.
>>
>>2638546
>all that bragging when he hasn't even been to Çabër, Kosovo
Obnoxious tourist detected
>>
>>2638654
Interesting, thanks for the tips. I may look into flying into Bishkek and ending in Almaty then since this summer I'm kind of rushed and only have just over three weeks to travel in total. You recommend renting a car or doing small group day tours?
>>
>>2639774
Cars with drivers are reasonably cheap so I almost never myself.
I get the fun aspect of driving off the roads in a 4x4, but for anything on the road I rather have somebody else deal with traffic and police.
>>
>>2639801
*almost never drive myself
Having a driver is also nice for hikes because he can drop you off and pick you up at different points.
>>
>>2639566
>bragging

bitch where
>>
>>2639802
Advice for finding a driver? Wouldn't mind doing a small through hike
>>
Bump
>>
File: trvmap.png (556 KB, 4972x2517)
556 KB
556 KB PNG
>>2629112
Thoughts on Mauritius? I spent a year there for work, goddamn I miss those beaches
If all goes well I may be turning Antarctica blue in the next couple of years. Also hopefully visiting Thailand/SEA later this year
>>
>>2634183
>travel when 18/19 and earning but still living with parents so no rent
>get short term contracts and/or jobs that provide accommodation and then travel in between contracts
basically work until you've saved up, quit and travel until money runs out, then work again and repeat. It's not a very stable life and you won't have any savings but it's fun
Alternatively look for jobs abroad
>>
File: Monde - Copie.png (568 KB, 4972x2517)
568 KB
568 KB PNG
>>2629112
I suggest you do what I did: take the light blue arount Antartica and use it around the small islands to emphasise the colours in a better way.
>>
File: neu-blank.png (571 KB, 4972x2517)
571 KB
571 KB PNG
Fuck America
>>
File: IMG_20240410_103917_354.png (2.28 MB, 7192x3318)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB PNG
I know I'm in the minority but I prefer MapChart. I just don't like having to color in all the subdivisions and I think it looks nicer.
>>
>>2643476
What took you to Semnan?
>>
>>2611875

> Armenia
I was on the Georgia-Azerbaijan border in 2018... a short road led to Armenia. I could have taken that road and went there, then visited Karabakh while it was still Artsakh... but I went to Tbilisi instead. I sort of regret it
>>
File: My map.png (2.31 MB, 7192x3318)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB PNG
>>2643501
Since you did it I'll do the fake traveller map too. I might post a realTM one later if I feel like it since it would be nice to have.
>>
>>2643501
Subdivisions are major autism. It's easy enough if you're updating the map fresh after a trip, but fuck me if I remember which exact county I went through 20 years ago.
>>
>>2647187
The idea is that you create the map once and keep it on your computer, and update it after you travel. Making it for the first time, having to look at old travel photos, calling your mom to ask if you visited this city or that, looking at maps to see if you crossed a border, that's the fun part :)
>>
>>2647187
>Subdivisions are major autism.
That's exactly the point, oddly enough.
>>
>>2608521
>location history on
yes americans really
>>
File: 1693192545322286.png (554 KB, 4972x2517)
554 KB
554 KB PNG
>>2600235
Normoid here. Will visit DPRK when (if?) they reopen their borders.
>>
>>2647510
Haven't they just reopened?
https://www.nknews.org/2024/03/another-russian-tour-group-visits-north-korea-as-it-slowly-opens-to-travelers/
>>
>>2647550
I'm not Russian.
>>
>>2642051
Are you a language teacher or something?
>>
File: 1704375975828163.png (560 KB, 4972x2517)
560 KB
560 KB PNG
Lost the image so had to redo it, added Uruguay, Florida and Quebec
>>
>>2647184
>Japan
Bro what happened?
>>
>>2600235
This is a really good map, honestly.
>>
>>2648090
Forgot image, 100% genuine retard.
>>
File: mymap.png (554 KB, 4972x2517)
554 KB
554 KB PNG
>>2602577
how'd you end up in Scotland, anon?
>>
>>2648106
Has East Anglia seceded from the United Kingdom? When did that happen??
>>
>>2648113
No its still part of the uk, i just havent been there and mixed up how the map works
>>
558 KB
558 KB PNG
>>2600491
>>2611626
Major update. Back from a bicycle trip to Eastern Ukraine in March. I got every oblast you could reasonably get as a foreign tourist right now I believe.
>>
File: Kolomak.jpg (6.46 MB, 4032x3024)
6.46 MB
6.46 MB JPG
>>2648554
Kolomak, Kharkiv Oblast was about the farthest East I got. I had half a mind to cycle to Kharkiv city but didn't feel like pushing my luck after getting arrested and interrogated for several hours at the police station in nearby Krasnokutsk.

https://umap.openstreetmap.fr/de/map/trips_1004538#5/48.531/9.053

Trip map if anyone cares. Also includes most of my other bicycle tours. Not finished yet. Two big trips to the British Isles are still missing, and a bunch of other stuff. It's a work in progress. I'm currently migrating from Google My Maps. Open Street Maps is way better. Going to add markers for places where I spent the nights eventually.
>>
File: mapp.png (632 KB, 4972x2517)
632 KB
632 KB PNG
t. merchant mariner
>>
>>2648554
Impressive.
>>
>>2648554
Did you interact with the locals?
What do they think?
Saw any of those graveyards with tons of Ukraine flags?
Did the border people believe you that you just wanted to go for recreational purposes?
>>
File: 20240308_061421.jpg (5.08 MB, 4032x3024)
5.08 MB
5.08 MB JPG
>>2648917
>Did you interact with the locals?
Impossible not to. I speak a modicum of Russian and Czech and know the most significant differences between Ukrainian and Russian in terms of grammar and pronunciation, and a bunch of Ukrainian words. There's a lot of vocabulary overlap with Czech, interestingly enough.
Nobody will bat an eye if you speak Russian if you're a tourist. Everyone understands Russian but not everyone speaks it so I'd often get replies in Ukrainian. Worked well enough. Nobody knows English, obviously.

>What do they think?
The reactions are not much different compared to most other countries where bicycle touring is highly unusual. Many are impressed, surprised, friendly, interested or incredulous. Occasionally people would want to take selfies with me. Most don't ask/don't care.
There is however a good amount of perhaps justified paranoia among the population. Village people called the police on me for being suspicious/taking pictures/potentially being a young man avoiding the draft numerous times. Super annoying. Taking photos of anything is generally banned in all oblasts bordering Russia and the Southern front and they're pretty serious about it. My picture taking also raised eyebrows in oblasts bordering Belarus but I don't think there's a blanket ban there too.
There's also a curfew at night and it is strictly enforced. I got caught sleeping in an open field not far from Romny in Sumy oblast once. Four army dudes on patrol duty spotted me with a drone at night, surrounded and pointed their rifles at me. Scary shit. Once they realized I was just a retard from Germany they were quite friendly but it took them a while to actually believe me. Pannier search, interrogation, phone check, mugshot taking, filling forms etc.
It was still well over 100km from the Russian border and even way farther from the frontlines with the heavy fighting. Would never have thought the atmosphere would be this tense. Tons of military and police presence.
>>
File: 20240304_145520.jpg (3.22 MB, 4032x3024)
3.22 MB
3.22 MB JPG
>>2648917
>Saw any of those graveyards with tons of Ukraine flags?
Sure.
Really every major village has memorials to the victims of the war.

>Did the border people believe you that you just wanted to go for recreational purposes?
Crossing the border isn't that much of an issue. Western Ukraine is far enough from the war action. Plenty of tourists visit Lviv. Doesn't immediately arouse suspicious provided you don't tell them you want go to Kharkiv.
The only border crossing with Poland where pedestrians and cyclists are officially allowed to get into Ukraine is Medyka-Shehyni. Very smooth and hassle free. Getting from Moldova into Odesa Oblast and back last year was more troublesome. Odesa Oblast is way closer to the action after all.

There's also a ton of military road checkpoints between oblast borders, at town and city entrances, major road crossings, nearby critical infrastructure and in border areas. The closer you get near the frontlines the more unlikely it seems to police/military that you really are just fucking around on a bicycle.
>>
File: 20240308_150931.jpg (3.74 MB, 4032x3024)
3.74 MB
3.74 MB JPG
>>2648939
>>2648946
https://files.catbox.moe/z9tqq1.mp4

Small recording of Ukrainians trying to shoot down Shaheds during a drone attack in Novyi Buh, very close to a bus stop shelter I was trying to sleep at that night. The Russians kept sending waves of drones until early morning. Didn't get to sleep a lot.
>>
File: real.png (566 KB, 4972x2517)
566 KB
566 KB PNG
It's been a while since I posted anything in these, but here's the update. Just came back from Peru and I've got a trip to Moldova planned for next month.
>>
File: real.png (566 KB, 4972x2517)
566 KB
566 KB PNG
>>2648959
Whoops, fucked up Peru in that last one.
>>
>>2647510
Based Finnish expansionist. Karelia is Finnish
>>
>>2648939
>Village people called the police on me for being suspicious/taking pictures/potentially being a young man avoiding the draft numerous times
It happened to me even in Transcarpathia when I visited. Police were very polite though and actually apologized for the mistake each time, don't know if you had the same experience but I was quite impressed. I can imagine these police encounters would become annoyingly frequent near the front but I can't blame them, to be honest.
>>
File: 20240318_070759.jpg (3.88 MB, 4032x3024)
3.88 MB
3.88 MB JPG
>>2649106
>It happened to me even in Transcarpathia when I visited.
It is a border region after all, popular with draft dodgers. The border where the Tysa river separates Ukraine from Romania is heavily patrolled. Road checkpoints every couple kilometers, lots of draft dodger catcher vans, and the entire river is secured with barbed wire.
As far as I know, men of draft age need to apply for a permit of sorts to go to Western border regions these days. Accomodation staff is actually obliged to call the police on young men who don't have the necessary documents.

>don't know if you had the same experience
Some were chill about it, but many took it seriously, to varying degrees. At worst, the procedure consisted of
>an interrogation
>a pannier search
>a phone search (photos, messenger contacts, apps. anything that might point to connections with Russia or acts of sabotage)
>mugshots of me and the bicycle
>a form (purpose of visit, name, birthday, employer bla bla bla)
>calling the head of the municipality (hromada) police department to the scene

Do note there's a Russian visa and two stamps from a visit to Russia five years ago inside my passport. It certainly didn't help. Police and military frequently pointed it out and asked questions about it.

>but I can't blame them, to be honest.
It's hard to imagine the FSB would send a Germanfag on a bicycle to Eastern Ukraine for espionage but the police and military also found it hard to imagine somebody would cycle there just for fun.
From my perspective it's hilarious and completely absurd they'd think I'm a spy or saboteur, obviously. But it's not totally unthinkable that Russia would hire a Western bicycle touring blogger/youtuber to influence public opinion of Russia. I'd probably send him on a trip across Russia to praise the country though.
I'm a free agent right now and not affiliated with either side. Just in case the FSB or SBU are monitoring this thread...
>>
>>2647510
>Finland
Dangerously cringe post, kys
>>
File: not much.png (552 KB, 4972x2517)
552 KB
552 KB PNG
>>
File: 2024travelmap.png (558 KB, 4972x2517)
558 KB
558 KB PNG
>>
>>2647894
I used to be, yes. Taught French in Peru, China and Poland for a brief amount of time. I quit that field because the pay was way too low though.
>>
>>2648960
What as Turkey like? I've always considered going there but... I'm something of a Romeaboo so I'm only really interested in the greek history of it.
>>
File: Map.png (555 KB, 4972x2517)
555 KB
555 KB PNG
I don't remember which region exactly lot of places i went to were, so I just let them light green.
France, Spain, and Austria mostly got explored by foot.

And most countries I visited mire than once. But still only so few, next trips planned in the future are Brazil and Japan again with friends.
>>
>>2649274
I've only been to Istanbul, but it's great if you like history. I actually visited Istanbul straight from Rome and to me Istanbul was the more interesting place both for the history and how it looked in general. The food is great too. The negatives are the street barkers can be a bit annoying and the refugees there are desperate, so they might bug you sometimes.
>>
>>2649308
That sounds kind of great, then. Is it like rome or worse?
>>
File: !travelmap me.png (564 KB, 4972x2517)
564 KB
564 KB PNG
>>2648106
im a student here
also update to my map: added Italy + recent trip to Hungary and Austria (although I had already been to Budapest so no visible change)
>>
File: 1704375975828163.png (564 KB, 4972x2517)
564 KB
564 KB PNG
Doing a mediterranean tour soon
>>
File: done.png (558 KB, 4972x2517)
558 KB
558 KB PNG
>>2600374
Small update. Did some roadtripping with a friend through Luxembourg, Germany, Liechtenstein and Austria.
>>
File: trv.png (565 KB, 4972x2517)
565 KB
565 KB PNG
27 years old
>>
File: 1704375975828163.png (562 KB, 4972x2517)
562 KB
562 KB PNG
Should tap into america or go to south east asia. Idk. Next trips will be to greece and back to australia
>>
>>2600235
Shit map. Way too many regions which are tiny, and which make no sense to divide up from a traveler's perspective.
>>
imagine being this retarded >>2651890
>>
>>2652097
>Australia 4 times less diverse than Madagascar
>Nile delta offers 6 different types of travel experiences
>You haven't experienced the whole of Greenland unless you've been to 5 regions, >Portugal has more tickable items than Spain
>Small nations literally imposisble to fill

It's fucking gash.
>>
>>2652098
It's based on first level administrative divisions for each country. Not our fault if 1) you're retarded and 2) Australia has a federal system while Madagascar doesn't. You can customise the map to get second level divisions for some countries, and you can also fill it up however you want.
>>
>>2652101
>no subdivisions in Russia, Australia nor Brasil
what a fucking brainlet. only a moron like you could believe that going to moscow is undistinguishable from climbing mountains in Magadan oblast, or Pilbara and Sydney are similar, or there's no need to specify if you went to Rio or some village in the Amazon (it's all just "brazil" huh?)

tldr; kill yourself
>>
>>2652110
You're fucking retarded. I'm not advocating for this map, I'm just posting it because I already had it and I don't feel like editing an image right now. But also, your whining is irrelevant because none of the countries you brought up are places I've visited. I've never been to Australia, Russia, or Brazil, which is why none of those are highlighted, you braindead, retarded piece of shit. Literally off yourself, you abrasive, worthless retard
>>
>>2651890
>>2652098
You can use any map you want.

>>2652101
No problem. Thanks for sharing.

>>2652110
Fuck off Ovodda, I know it's you.
>>
>>2651890
>make no sense to divide up from a traveler's perspective.

This thread and the map aren't for travelers honey. They're for Real Travelers™.
>>
>>2653006
Imagine not understanding the 'essence' of a destination, and instead option for an African warlord's take on the matter, or a busybody local officials who gerrymander shit every 5 years.
>>
>>2651890
to respond in good faith - honestly no matter how you slice the world there will be some nuance lost, unless you put a dot in every place you went to or something. Political subdivisions aren't perfect yes, but they are the best way to divide up the world neutrally.
Is there much difference between Edineț, Moldova and Briceni, Moldova despite being in different provinces? no
Is there much difference between some tiny outback town in Western Australia and Perth? yes
this is just an approximation of your travels and experiences, like a shadow from which other anons can figure out the full object.
>>
File: fill me.png (1.89 MB, 8192x4096)
1.89 MB
1.89 MB PNG
>>2653145
>>
File: amCharts.jpg (177 KB, 1120x480)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
Keep in mind that I've traveled just about everywhere in the US
>>
File: 1704375975828163.png (591 KB, 4972x2517)
591 KB
591 KB PNG
>>2611875
Slowly but surely Europe is turning green

Hopefully before the end of 2024 I'll do Kosovo, N. Macedonia and Albania, therefore finishing the balkans. With a bit of luck I'll also head to the U.S. on my first transatlantic trip
>>
>>2653645
How did your trips to Lithuania and Latvia go?
>>
>>2653908
Went there in the summer of 2023. It was quite fun. Lithuania is a super comfy country, Vilnius is a lovely city with plenty of green areas and some nice monuments. We also visited Kaunas and the Hill of Crosses at Siauliai, both interesting. The area around Trakai castle was also wonderful, but the ticket and the visit to the castle itself felt like a scam.

Latvia was probably even better for me, but that's just because we got to do hiking there and I'm into that shit. We visited Riga and then went to explore the hills in Gauja national park and the boglands in the Kemeri national park. Both were awesome and I got to see some cool wildlife and flora.

Overall definitely recommended if you want an Euro trip that's slightly outside of mainstream tourist routes. Once I manage to get a decent job that allows me to save up some money I'll definitely visit Estonia and Finland so I complete the eastern Baltic region. For Estonia I'm not sure there's anything really worth visiting outside Tallinn (haven't really looked it up yet to be fair), but in Finland I definitely want to go see the lakes.
>>
>>2653958
Estonia imo is the nicest of the Baltics. Tallinn and Tartu are both better cities than Riga, Kaunas, or Vilnius. Saarema is also comfy in the summer. I suggest visiting in January though for the true Estonian comfort experience tm

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.