[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: NYC Vessel.jpg (377 KB, 1200x1136)
377 KB
377 KB JPG
And why is it the New York magic stairs?
>>
>>2635575
How many people anheroed from that monstrosity again?
>>
>>2635578
https://www.governing.com/infrastructure/new-york-citys-gigantic-public-art-failure

>By the time the Vessel marked its two-year anniversary, three people had committed suicide by leaping from its heights. The attraction was closed after the third death in January 2021 and reopened five months later with new protocols in place. Information about the National Suicide Prevention Hotline was placed along walkways and printed on tickets.

Come with your family see our tourist attraction and get a suicide awareness speech for freee.
>>
there are several wax museums that lay claim to being the world's worst
the strange thing is that although they are unrealistic most of the figures are instantly recognisable as caricatures of they people they are supposed to be
>>
Kyoto. Not even a real city.
>>
>>2635575
The Blue Lagoon in Iceland gets my vote. Let's pay a lot of money to soak ourselves in runoff from a geothermal power plant with a bunch of unsightly fat tourists, guys!
>>
>>2635575
any waterfall in Costa Rica. They charge an arm and a leg for the privilege or walking over to what amounts to some rocks, dirty pools, and something as pristine as a backyard sprinkler watering your mom's tomato patch.
>>
Rachel, NV. Tourist trap, it really is. Not gonna say I wasn't excited to be out in the middle of nowhere, but the gift shop really does charge a ton for 'le ayy lmao merchandise'. Food was decent.
>2635575
Ngl looks pretty cool to climb if I were in NYC for some lame reason or another desu.
>>
>>2635672
Well, if "natural wonders" count, my vote goes to Mount Fuji then.

Every other mountain in Europe is as beautifull or more than Mt Fuji (the Matterhorn, the Mont Blanc, the Pyrénées overall). Also, the amenities around it are sub-par compared to anything in Europe.
In France if you go near the Mt Blanc you will get a dozen ski stations that are quaint and with dozens of good restaurants each with a good view; in Japan you will get towns that are 80% parking lots and Ryokans for depressed old people.
Sure, you get a good photo on a sunny day, but it's literally the "mountain but Japan" meme.
>>
>>2635685
Maybe try going when Fuji is snow covered?
>>
>>2635688
I did both, it's a mountain to "see" for an hour or two (and again, it makes good photos, granted you take them at the same spot everyone take their photos of Mt Fuji), but it's not a place to enjoy... or anything around it for that matter.
>>
>>2635575
thats your magic? Tragic. Man, id wanna take the elevator after smoke not sweat my ass off climbing 85 stairs. You guys are assholes.
>>
File: 0454545.gif (55 KB, 220x188)
55 KB
55 KB GIF
>>2635705
And they don't even move...
What would be cool is if they moved and the end of the stairs reconnected with the start of other stairs and so on and so forth. Ad infinitum. That would be an actual cool shit to see.
>>
File: chicago-bean.jpg (423 KB, 1920x1298)
423 KB
423 KB JPG
The Bean in Chicago. I can forgive it being a giant metal bean, but its creator is a pretentious dick.
>>
File: received_289388773783753.jpg (273 KB, 2000x1500)
273 KB
273 KB JPG
>>2635689
Every able bodied visiter to Japan should hike Fuji at least once. It's not difficult, you can do it in a day.
Its an aesthetically appealing mountain but travelling just to look at it from a distance seems like a waste of time.
>>
>>2635668
That’s now inoperable due to a volcano going off not even a kilometre from it. Mother Nature hates it too
>>
>>2635583
The pattison isn't too bad, just too much like leo dicaprio
>>
>>2636094
I took the long 2 day way. Imo I enjoyed it better and got better acclimated to the altitude.
I want to do a winter one a ski down it but you need a permit to do so and reasonably good mountaineering skills.
>>
>>2635689
Not sure what your on about hakone is beautiful and genuinely a great place to hike and do things like visit a museam the same day.
>>
>>2635583
For me, it's torture device museums.
>>
File: Grand-Canyon-West (1).jpg (120 KB, 1024x666)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
The Grand Canyon skywalk. It's 2 and half hours each way from Vegas. It costs $80 per person to walk a 50 foot trail to look at a section of the grand canyon that's 1/3 as deep as the real Grand Canyon in the national park. You'll spend 20 minutes looking and then leave. There is nothing else to see or do. This is it. The whole thing.
>>
File: file.png (2.77 MB, 1280x853)
2.77 MB
2.77 MB PNG
>>2636184
lmfao
>>
>>2635979
The Bean is fine as a hokey public art piece, but I do not understand why it's famous
>>
>>2635979
Standing underneath it is pretty neat at least
>>
>>2635575
It's like a Halo map without the building.
>>
>>2635575
The louvre.

Integrating a shopping mall into a museum has got to be in the top 10 dumbest ideas of all time. No peace and quiet anywhere in the whole museum, which is kind of half the point of a museum.
>>
Gastown steam clock in Vancouver. Who give a shit about some crap built in the 1970s to look like it was built in the 1890s. Tourists fall for it every time.
>>
File: 20220308_113920.jpg (1.05 MB, 2560x1440)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
>>2635685
volcanoes stand alone and unique like gods
they are a vent to the underworld, not a mere rumpled pile of rock
>>
>>2636184
$80 is reparation payment to the tribe
in return you get to walk on their magic floor
heya hoya
>>
>>2636186
The indians really shit that place up
>>
>>2636184
>>2636186
>>2636633
Just go to the north rim, better view, better population (no bus go there if i recall).
>>
>>2635575
Well, it gets the job done - can't tell you how many chicks on dating apps have pictures with that in the background. It's New York's Disney Theme Park.

To be honest, seeing how shitty the rest of the city is, this is actually an improvement. What would you rather have people see - these stairs or the subway?
>>
>>2635668
I was just there a few weeks ago, smd
>>
>>2638343
>What would you rather have people see - these stairs or the subway?
The subway, no contest. At last it's typically New York, not like some random stairs that go nowhere.
But i'd rather see Joker stairs in the Bronx over both. At last, they evoke something.
>>
>>2638352
How does it feel to get ripped off?
>>
>>2638352
>t. unsightly fat tourist
>>
>>2635685
The volcano in Kagoshima is cooler
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9ig4PzP2Sw
>>
>>2635575
The temporary mound near Marble Arch in London. This lump cost millions.
>>
>>2639316
>>
>>2635583
I'd rather go to this than the "best" wax museum lol
>>
>>2639316
>>2639317
What the hell
>>
>>2639587
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marble_Arch_Mound
>>
>>2639317
looks like a restored landfill lmao
>>
>>2639317
Other countries would call it a landfill, but the UK is so shitty that it's considered an attraction here.
>>
>>2635575
Hard to name a single one, but almost all things that try to combine old(by old I mean 250+ years or older) with modern, either architecture, art or both. Think of the Louvre pyramid. It would be brilliant in a proper setting but it's fucking hideous in how it contrasts.
>>
>>2636372
couldn't be more wrong. the "mall" is a few stores outside of the museum itself. The entire 4th floor of the museum is pretty much empty all the time so go there is you want quiet. It's not a bad thing that a museum is popular.
>>
>>2635685
cope japan-hater
fuji is one of the greatest mountains on earth
>>
>>2635583
>own wax museum
>frail business, never get anyone under 45 unless its a family
>watcha ryan gosling with the with one night
>lightbulb moment
>take out a loan
>replace everyone of my vintage artisan sculptures that my father bought with plastic and silicone fully articulated real dolls
>become known as the only historical museum where you can fuck
>retire in israel
>>
File: 1706233412293898.jpg (140 KB, 1536x1152)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
>>2639317
>The original forecast cost was £3.3 million; by August 2021 the total cost, including construction, operation and removal, had risen to £6 million.
>>
File: file.png (2.85 MB, 1323x882)
2.85 MB
2.85 MB PNG
50 million tourists (all women) take pictures with these every Christmas
they are dimmer than the streetlights and are simply not impressive or interesting

I personally spent last year's NYE freezing my fingers off taking pictures of my gf with these for like 3 hours
>>
>>2635631
Fuck off Kyoto is great
>>
File: beechers.jpg (264 KB, 1440x960)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
I live in Seattle and immediately thought of Beecher's at Pike Place Market. Supposedly the world's best mac and cheese. It's good but people will wait in line forever to try some. Not worth the wait. There's a location at Bellevue Square mall that serves the exact same stuff and you don't have to wait.
Pike Place Market is sort of a tourist trap anyway - it's mostly overpriced fruit that reeks of fish and people selling crappy beaded jewelry. Piroshky is better anyway. Honestly Seattle is kinda lame.
>>
File: manneken pis belgie.jpg (377 KB, 1200x1199)
377 KB
377 KB JPG
I straight up don't understand why Manneken Pis is even an attraction. If you didn't see the crowd of people all taking pictures of this thing you'd assume that it would be any other fountain in Europe but apparently it's one of THE things to see in Brussels. I thought Porte de Hal would be the more touristy spot.
>>2636184
I went in 2020 and there was no one on the skywalk. The price was expensive but I gotta say that view was unforgettable. Pictures don't do the scale of the Grand Canyon any justice. Probably wouldn't go on the skywalk now there's going to be an annoying amount of people now
>>
>>2635575
>What is the LAMEST tourist attraction ever built?
Not a building or structure, but it has got to be those fucking angel wings that are painted on walls for people to take selfies in front of.
>>
>>2635668
it is beautiful, a 1/1, going in is probably not worth it but to regret going at all or to vote it the worst thing ever is mad
>>
File: afar.brightspotcdn.jpg (132 KB, 800x500)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>2640842
>I live in Seattle and immediately thought of Beecher's at Pike Place Market. Supposedly the world's best mac and cheese.

Named as such by ignorant flyover states tourists who never even tasted non american cheese.

Reminds me of Ghirardelli in San Francisco. Some folks from Colorado told me "Yeah, it's famous for being the best chocolate in the world!", and in my mind i was so sad and sorry for them, being european, having tasted Belgian, Swiss and French chocolate since childhood.
>>
>>2635575
The Bude Tunnel
>>
File: bude_tunnel.jpg (104 KB, 976x549)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>>2641550
well, this is the UK, aight?
What's the next best thing? Stonehendge? The Shart?
>>
>>2635685
The best thing about Fuji is that it isn't surrounded with shitty tourist shops for retards like you. It's the most famous and recognizable mountain in the world, yet you can stop basically anywhere near it and enjoy it in complete silence.
>>
>>2641579
>It's the most famous and recognizable mountain in the world
How much of a weeb do you have to be to believe Fuji is more famous than Everest?
>>
File: neptune_fountain.jpg (340 KB, 959x1280)
340 KB
340 KB JPG
>>2640865
It's because belgium is a made up country with nothing redeemable on its own. They should stop pretending and split once and for all between France and the Netherlands. The two provinces hate each other so it's not like it makes sense on the first place.
Just the fact that the manneken pis is their national symbol is telling. Any random fountain in a third-tier city in Italy beats the manneken pis so easily there isn't even a competition.
>>
>>2641579
> Matterhorn
> Everest
> Machu Picchu
> Dolomites
> west coast Rockies

But yea Mount Fuji cuz of Pokémon amirite, weeb?
>>
>>2636164
I love those lol. You’re just mentally well adjusted, if you were a sadist you’d have a better appreciation. They’re very creative
>>
>>2641593
>Any random fountain in a third-tier city in Italy beats the manneken pis
The one you posted isn't pissing tho
>>
>>2640865
yea this is up there. i meani suppose it's historical but in the end it's just a fountain on a street corner surrounded by souvenir shops
in the same vein the little mermaid in copenhagen is underwhelming too. pic related. it's always surrounded by tourists but i bet they are all thinking the same thing, what the fuck it's just a little statue on a rock.
i guess the clue is in the name though, it's called the little mermaid not the fucking giant mermaid
>>
>>2641719
So many ching-chongs in one European location.
>>
>>2641592
to be fair fuji is probably more recognisable than everest because of it appearing in art and so on
i bet if you showed 100 people some pictures of both mountains, for everest they would say oh that's a cool mountain. but for fuji they'd say oh yeah that's fuji i saw that in that painting by that japanese guy. i mean there's even a lego set of it
>>2641600
literally nobody outside the usa cares about the rocky mountains except john denver or joe walsh fans
>>
File: IMG_7621.jpg (499 KB, 1280x960)
499 KB
499 KB JPG
>>2641550
>>2641552
we do love our quirky eccentric stuff, that's for sure
>>
>>2641552
what is that plastic turd supposed to do?>>2641719
are her nipples polished by human hands though?
>>
>>2641730
>what is that plastic turd supposed to do?
it doesn't do anything, it's just a tunnel that leads from the shop to the car park but some lolsorandom people decided to pretend it's an architectural tourist attraction. i mean, i've seen worse
>are her nipples polished by human hands though?
weirdo
>>
>>2641719
The saddest part about the mermaid is that it's the only attraction of that country.
Meanwhile the shit posted in the OP is not the only attraction of New York (let alone of the US).
>>
>>2641736
>The saddest part about the mermaid is that it's the only attraction of that country.
ridiculous statement. high chance of american detected
>>
File: 244832-statue-6.jpg (80 KB, 1000x600)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>2641730
If a statue has tits, people will place their mitts.
>>
>>2641746
>>
>>2641723
Weeb cope
>>
>>2641600
>>2641592
Go out and ask 100 random people to draw any of those mountains. Then ask them to draw Fuji. Every single one of them will draw Fuji but nobody knows what the fuck Everest or the west coast Rockies look like.

Fuji is the Eiffel Tower of mountains. If you know the existence of their respective countries, you know them by those landmarks first.
>>
>>2635580
You don’t think it’s a fun family outing if the kids see some depressed incel throw himself off the top?

I would immediately take them down for a closer look “hey kids it’s this guys cerebellum all over the pavement!”
>>
>>2639845
This but.
Few stores means there's a Starbucks next to the main entrance.
Apart of that, not lame at all. And pretty comfy if you're far from the Mona Lisa.
>>
we've finished mining the parchment (sorry, dad) and now we're building the space ports ... get ready for tRAVel
>>
>>2641907
I see your point and it appears in media often, but the Matterhorn is on the toblerone bar, it is drawable. And what makes a mountain/ range iconic isn’t just its recognizability from seeing a picture, it’s the coast, hiking, scenery and stories that go along with it. Everest is the pinnacle of mountaineering, Rockies and Dolomites are arguably most scenic. Fuji is a cool volcano but the Hawaii volcanoes and the PRF are more touristy
>>
>>2642075
>but the Matterhorn is on the toblerone bar
not any more anon they dropped it a year ago. it's just a generic mountain now
also the only thing anyone remembers about the toblerone logo is that there is a little bear hidden in the mountain picture
>>
>>2642075
Nobody has a mental image of those. Most people wouldn't even know the toblerone mountain as the Matterhorn. They know it as the toblerone bear.
>>
>>2641548
Ehh, it was at least nice to go to, it has a nice atmosphere inside. The hot chocolate is dogshit, though. Fucking hate when it's water based.
>>
Madame tussads? Who the fuck goes to this shit it's everywhere
>>
>>2642163
My fucking sides kek
>>
>>2635668
This it is overpriced and not even natural there are 100s of real geothermal pools to vist around the country
>>
>>2635575
Didn't they permanently close that thing because muh terrorism?
>>
>>2643617
They closed because of muh three suicides in a row.
>>
>>2643642
If they don't want people killing themselves, why don't they just make suicide illegal? #liberallogic
>>
>>2635575
Most ugly structure in New York I hate it so bad
>>
>>2643648
People will just sudoku themselves in more dangerous ways with coat hangars and morning after pills
>>
>>2635575

"South of the Border". It's a park on the border of North and South Carolina and is Mexican themed. That's it, that's the entire premise. Get it, because you are crossing the border so it's Mexican? It's almost so bad that it's good, except we all got food poisoning from the terrible food there.

I wouldn't mind it as a quirky roadside attraction on I-95 if there weren't a billboard for it every 5 minutes for hundreds of miles. Made us think it was a big thing when it really wasn't. Yet, I still think everyone should stop there as like a rite of passage. As I said, it's so absurd that you have to kinda do it. I just wouldn't eat the food unless you want diarrhea.
>>
>>2643648
>If they don't want people killing themselves, why don't they just make suicide illegal? #liberallogic
It has been illegal in some countries already. The sentence is that you don't get a burial, your body is desecrated and the state inherits all your possessions.
>>
>>2645103
Doesn't seem like much of a punishment. People who commit suicide obviously don't care about themselves.
>>
>>2645105
Well, even the most efficient communist regime can't resurect them and execute them.
>>
File: pantheon.jpg (1.34 MB, 3864x2579)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
>>2635575 (OP)
Pantheon in Rome used to be free (in 2023), but now it's 5 euro to visit
>>
>>2645129
What does that have to do with the coolness of a thing? If anything Rome is so mass tourist infested I think it's great they decided to charge entrance for that too. That 5€ won't kill your trip but helps with budgeting upkeep of shit like that which can be really expensive with all the conservation rules etc they have to account for.
>>
>>2645135
That's a fair point.

Before, it was cool because you could organically visit, like you could with Campo di Fiori, Piazza Navona, Janiculum Hill, and all of the (other) churches.

Having to pay kind of ruins that spontaneity and wonder, and takes time away from exploring. Last year, I was able to visit 5 times (observing different things each time).

This time, I had to schedule my entrance. I passed it many times, but it took the joy out of that part of the trip.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (342 KB, 1280x720)
342 KB
342 KB JPG
>>2636372
>Integrating a shopping mall into a museum has got to be in the top 10 dumbest ideas of all time.
Attaching one as the only way into the Sheik Zyad Grand Mosque was a worse idea. And calling it a "souk" does not make it any better.
>>
>>2645101
/THRED
>>
>>2645154
They can souk my dick, amirite?
>>
>>2635668
100/100 attraction for it soaks attention and crowds. iceland knows what they are fucking doing.
>>
>>2636208
chicago lost its "world's tallest building" crown after over 20 years holding it and had to find something else. idk where it ranks now, but at least before its near complete collapse it was like the sixth largest economy in the world without much in the way of recognizable landmarks.

was a great city though. maybe for a time the world's greatest.
>>
>>2635575
It's got to be the Twine Ball.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biggest_ball_of_twine#/media/File:World's_Largest_Twine_Ball,_Darwin,_Minnesota_2021-07-22.jpg
>>
>>2645101
“Hey amigo only 137 more miles to South of the Border!”
>>
>>2646078
obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv_QUiDYTTg
>>
>>2635631
everything closes at 4pm. every restaurant there is fairly mediocre compared to neighbouring osaka and way more expensive. tons of retarded tourists from around the world. also nara is retarded and the deer have deer AIDS.
>>
>>2641719
>>2641736
i didnt even go cause i heard from someone its absurdly small and you cant even get close. copenhagen was okay, but a very disappointing city i have zero intention to return to. very very soulless feeling, architecture is insanely repetitive, people are straightup unfriendly and its incredibly expensive for a B grade european capital. those are the bad things, has a few okay things. but i was not blown away by anything at all.
>>
>>2635575
I went to NYC and ran into this thing by accident without knowing anything about it so I decided to walk all the way to the top. Was kind of neat in that sense, but I definitely would not make it a destination point.
>>
The Hollywood Walk of Fame is probably the biggest letdown you'll ever experience. Everyone who visits me since I moved out here wants to see it. I try to talk them out of it and they never listen. Look, "there's a Hard Rock Cafe! Oh, and there's a Baja Fresh with a homeless person taking a shit in front of the entrance. There's a a guy on meth overdosing in front of a Marshalls. Ok, you were right. Can we go somewhere else?"
When my friends finally realize that I'm right, I take them hiking. The mountains around LA are fucking amazing. All the waterfalls are going to be insane this year with all the snow melt.
>>
>>2646549
LA and the whole west coast is a let down, it lost everything.

Where did they plan to go next? Venice Beach? It's shit. Downtown? It's shit.
I guess hicking and seeing the Hollywood sign is ok (tho it's small and a let down in real life as well).
>>
>>2646525
The high line is pretty nice, though.
>>
>>2635575
This would be so cool if it was part of a building and had a purpose outside of being neat
>>
File: 207566b55784a09261_p5.jpg (52 KB, 502x390)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
Python temple was such a fucking tourist trap. Had to pay the preist 2 dollars to be allowed in then 3 to see a ceremony. A bunch of snakes on dirty plaster benches while preist proudly tells me how they practically abduct 12 year olds into the "clergy". Don't support that shit. Immoral tourist trap.
>>
File: 20230910_080152.jpg (2.64 MB, 4000x3000)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB JPG
>>2636094
Agreed, it was one if the coolest things I've ever done. Thanks pilko
>>
>>2645145
>Janiculum Hill
love that memory
>>
>>2646651
"the whole west coast"
Let me guess, you spent 3 days in trashy LA, and then you went to Disneyland like a fat adult baby, and flew home to Tulsa Oklahoma. Yea, that's probably a lame trip.

Had you done your research, you could have done a good trip like a road trip to Lake Tahoe for some summer snowboarding, then Yosemite National Park, out the back entrance and down the 395 past Mount Whitney and then spent a few days in Orange County at Newport and Laguna Beach. There are literally 1000 epis west coast trips you could have done. But you chose to walk around skid row in Hollywood and then bitch about it. You're a bad planner.
>>
>>2642401
Weeb copes are sad as fuck.
>>
>>2645101
It's America's Mt Fuji.
>>
>>2645101
Evidently someone didn't stand beneath the giant Mexican man's crotch and get a photo, baka (I am halfway convinced by the consistent lack of cars in parking lots every time I drive by paired with the absurd amounts of upkeep that must be necessary that SotB is just a front for laundering cash)
>>
>>2646651
Point Dume in Malibu is beautiful. So is Ventura. LA is really just for driving through, looking at through the windows, maybe visiting a museum or two, and going someone else better. The N. Cali, Oregon and Washington coastlines have a lot of natural beauty, if that's your thing, but I would avoid the cities.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.