[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Headed to Iceland as a single guy. Planning on doing a snorkeling trip and having a car to tour around in. Anybody else have good recommendations?
>>
>>2645374
Drive the entire ring road. Don't waste more than a night in Reykjavik.
>>
>>2645377
What should I specifically look for on the ring road?
>>
>>2645377
do this anon, i did it late may last year over 11 days and it was great. what time of year are you heading there?
>>
>>2645479
Next week. Your saying it takes 11 days to drive the whole thing?
>>
>>2645374
Use google ffs. Most basic question: what to see in Iceland hurr durr i am stopping over for 4 days with my Icelandair flight from America

Snorkling in Iceland is literally the shittest place in the world to do it. Nothing down there.
So well done.
>>
>>2645560
>Snorkling in Iceland is literally the shittest place in the world to do it.
I just today read some clickbait article about snorkeling in Iceland and how you can see all sorts of cool geological formations in very clear water. I think it was fresh water though and they had really thick wetsuits on.
>>
>>2645508
no you could definitely do it in less than 11 days, just gotta research what along the road you want to do in terms of hikes/towns. take into account driving times and hikes you want to do. if you want some of the more touristy sites like skogafoss, seljalandsfoss, etc to be less crowded, be willing to get there early.
just look up hikes on ring road on google and pick a few that you like. start from reykjavik and go counter clockwise around the island. once you get beyond hofn, there will be way less tourists.
if you do ring road, throw your snorkeling plan at the end or the start since its in thingvellir.
>>
>>2645560
I am flying in from Oman. I want to see snow.
>>
>>2645566
Yes I’ve done this. The snorkel tour is in glacier meltwater that runs in a fault between two plates. Water is crystal clear and you get exceptional visibility of the geological stuff if you like that sort of thing.

Glacier runoff is at 2 degrees C so you get put in a 7mm wetsuit or a dry suit. You think you want the latter but the former is better imo. No animals, just rocks to look at, it’s not the Caribbean.

>>2645508
Ring road can be done in a day if you gun it without looking at anything. The south coast has a lot to see as does the area around Myvatn. Doing it over 10d or so lets you take in the main sights.

A lot of the roads to anything not swarming with other tourists are shitty gravel tracks which are too much for many hire cars.

You just have to draw up an itinerary and then do it. You can post it here for critique. Only a couple of tourist traps not worth seeing - blue lagoon (spend 5% of the entry fee going to literally any municipal pool) and that plane wreck (unless you like planes).
>>
>>2646067
You won't see snow until around November
>>
>>2646238
I’m planning on going to Andora in November. I’ll keep that in mind if I visit again though.
>>
>>2646067
its possible that you see snow, one of the days in late may when i was staying in myvatn it snowed. just dont count on it for sure.
>>
will the locals be impressed if I learn some icelandic?
>>
>>2646067
I don't see many Oman folk so I've gotta ask. What's the coast between Oman and Yemen like during monsoon season? I stumbled upon it with google earth one time and it was incredible.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.