[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: moped.jpg (74 KB, 1232x822)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>Fell off motorbike injuring my wrist - a bus coming in the opposite dirxn forced me on to some slippery road
>No other vehicles/people involved
>Some bleeding from hand and wrist pain but was able to get up and drive home so no ambulance or police were called.
>Contacted insurance before going to hospital to review any requirements prior to seeking treatment.
>Was told to get MD's reports, test results and all receipts. No mention of need for accident or police report.
>Went to the hospital by taxi
>Seen by Er doc then referred to orthopedics
>Ct scan: slip chip in one of the wirst bones
>Sent home
>Cost 750 Euros
>Submitted my documents - told that condition of policy was that all laws were being followed at the time of the accident
>Told me they needed proof I was wearing a helmet
>I had no way to prove this and MD's were not willing to write this in their report.
>I argued that they were denying my claim based on a technicality - I was claiming reimbursement for a wrist injury, not a head injury. In the absence of a head injury, the requirement to follow the law should really just be limited to not being intoxicated and having a valid DL.

Are people expected to call an ambulance or police just to document for insurance that they are not drunk and are wearing a helmet? I've been paying them monthly for 3 years so my only leverage is threatening to cancel my policy with them and find another provider. Still waiting to hear back.
What does /trv/ think?
>>
OP again
They wanted records documenting my "initial condition" in Emerg. Fair enough. Took weeks just to get the ER doc to write a short report describing my injury. ER expected ortho to provide all documentation but that is ridiculous bc ortho wasnt there when I first presented. Insurance asked for toxicology screen. I told them it wasn't my fault that ER didn't draw this but the fact that they didn't was prob indication that they didnt suspect anything. Got the ER doc to add that my neuro status was normal. They seemed to drop the tox screen requirement and just asked for medical report documenting that I was wearing a helmet. I made my arguments to them by email and they sent me an ultimatum that if the requested documents were not submitted in 7 days that they would consider my claim closed. I think they are full of shit for denying me. I could have had the same injury tripping on the sidewalk and they would not ask for toxicology or evidence that i was wearing proper footwear.
>>
Insurance is a scam run by- guess who.
Around (((them))), you lose.
>>
>>2645602
Yes - it seems like
The big print giveth, and the fine print taketh away
>>
>>2645601
Can you talk to a lawyer?
>>
What was the insurance company so I know not to use them?
>>
>>2645608
for a 750 Euro claim I'd just take the L instead of doubling down
>>
>>2645609
I'll post it if the final verdict is to deny my claim - should find out in 3 days
>>
>>2645608
lawyer's fees would be way higher
it would be something for small claims court
>>
>>2645612
Yeah I wouldn't do anything beyond writing emails arguing my case. My deductible is 250 anyway so It's really only 500 I'm claiming for. I'm just hoping they'll take their head out of their ass and be reasonable
>>
>>2645598
Congratulations dummy you found out you were being scammed. All insurance is a scam and niggercattle humiliation ritual.

Next time get your shit fixed then skip out on the bill.
>>
>>2645618
>Next time get your shit fixed then skip out on the bill.
I could've - after discharge, they didn't even tell me to see the receptionist to pay the bill.
(This happened in Cyprus - the medical care I got there was worth nothing anyway)
By comparison, when I was in Singapore, 2 people walked me to the cashier.
>>
>>2645626
You can just leave.
>sorry I have no money right now, write me a bill
They can't detain you.
You can just walk out, nobody will stop you. It's a very mild intimidation tactic that only work on niggercattle and browns.
>>
File: 1676470682901493.jpg (91 KB, 960x862)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>2645618
>niggercattle humiliation ritual
>>
>>2645598
>>Cost 750 Euros
Isn't healthcare free in europe wtf?
>>
Kek. Travel "insurance" is a scam that will never pay out. If you're a sucker who still buys, you deserve what you (don't) get
>>
>>2645598
This is why I don’t ride motorbikes or motorcycles overseas. I feel like such a little faggot sitting pillion while some Thai hooker drives me around but I’ll be damned if I get smashed up and extorted.

I submitted an insurance claim for getting chicken pox (for the medication they gave me) and the insurance company told me to pay up front and they’d reimburse me. Of course they never did.
>>
>>2645750
I got appendicitis in Vietnam. Surgery and 48 hr hospital cost 6000 USD. Got reimbursed - had travel insurance thru my bank (I forget the provider)
>>
>>2645756
I can't believe how easily the tires slipped and the bike fell out from under me just on a bit of gravelly road. Those fucking things are death traps. If you want to literally scrape off the surface of half of your body, never to have it look normal again, ride a motorbike. Especially when it is hot and humid outside, nobody wears gloves and a motorcycle suit. People don't know what they are getting themselves into when they rent them. The person renting you the bike does not prepare you for what can happen. I know cars can get into accidents also, but you never hear that someone's car flipped over bc there were a few rocks in the road. I want 4 wheels and 4 walls from now on.
>>
>>2645598
Color me shocked, astounded even.
The insurance Jew is more than happy to take your money and print you a piece of paper, but when it comes time to pay out, he will use any possible technicality to weasel out of his contractual obligations.
I once had my auto insurance claim rejected because I did not retain the registration from the wrecked vehicle, which was sent to a scrapyard. There was a police report documenting all the pertinent facts of the vehicles involved, but it didn't matter. They wouldn't process the claim.
>>
>>2645847
you weren't able to get another copy from the DMV I guess
>>
>>2645643
That's not the kind of person I am though
The doctors did their job
I don't believe in not paying for services just bc the insurance company might stiff me
>>
>>2645750
Chase reimbursed me $2500 for damaging my rental car in New Zealand. Depends on the scenario.
>>
Travel insurance is a scam, hope you learned your lesson OP
>>
>>2645598
Which territory are you in op

In the eu (also bong land still as they’ve not changed regulations) then they shouldn’t deny a wrist injury claim for lack of evidence that you were wearing a helmet as it’s irrelevant. They need evidence you didn’t have one, not the other way around. Submit a formal complaint to the insurer and if they still deny it escalate to the consumer financial regulator. Over €500 the threat of escalation in your formal complaint will often make them fold

Dunno how it works with US insurers. If you successfully rebutted their demand for a tox screen by saying the medical staff didn’t think you needed one, you can try using the lack of head injury investigations as an argument that you were wearing a helmet, as well as the lack of any police involvement as they’d have surely got you for road law violation if you had committed any.
>>
>>2645963
AMEX/Visa in my experience actually pays out. I crashed a rental car on a mountain road and payed $0. Didn't even go on my driving record. Pays to have a Jew card I guess.
>>
>>2646104
like I said above, I got reimbursed 6000 USD for an appendectomy in Vietnam so it's not always a scam but in this case they are clearly trying to shirk their responsibilities on a technicality
>>
>>2646189
The incident happened in Cyprus but my home country according to the policy is outside the EU.
>>
>>2645750
Don't listen to this moron. If you had a car accident in the usa and you don't have any insurance you are instantly jewed for up to $1MM. Insurance matters but only in the case of of major accidents and you have to choose a good company.
>>
You may be able to submit a claim to your credit card company. In the US, nearly every credit card company has some sort of built in insurance for renting a car. Some won't pay out for foreign car rentals, but some might. It's worth submitting if you booked on a credit card.
>>
>>2646259
I booked it with a Wise debit card so there's no extras included.
>>
>>2646395
>using a meme fintech company that is associated with scammers and Indians paying remittance
>using a debit card instead of a credit card which has hundreds of perks and built-in insurance

Lots of lessons to be learned here OP.
>>
Do you think the provider your credit card uses is less likely to deny claims?
>>
I once crashed a motorcycle and broke my collarbone in Cambodia. I needed to fly home to Canada for surgery. The insurance company paid my Cambodian medical expenses fine enough (a whopping $100), but the last minute one way business class flight ($4200) that they approved was a problem. It took 4 months of fighting to get it paid. I got the credit card company involved but it took social media shaming to get it done. Almost precisely 2 weeks after I took it public on Twitter a cheque arrived in my mailbox for the full amount without any further communication. Few things are more effective on big companies than making them look bad in the public eye.
>>
>>2646479
OK this is encouraging anon bc I was just informed by SafetyWing that my claim was DENIED.
Their policy requires that if you were riding a motorbike, you need to have been following all laws including wearing a helmet. However their terms don't state that "your claim will be denied if you can't prove that you were wearing a helmet."
>>
>>2646524
>SafetyWing
This looks like a shitty startup that doesn't actually have money to pay out claims.
>*Does 2 seconds of research*
Oh, it is.

Go with a reputable company that's been in business for 50+ years next time.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.