[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Wanna fly to Washington DC this summer for some sightseeing.
What are some interesting places outside of DC to check out?
>>
Arlington cemetery
>>
FYI summer is the worst time of year to visit. Humidity is awful and the city is jam packed with bus loads of tourists.
>>
what do you mean, like day trips with a car? or just outside the city itself?

old town alexandia is on the metro and you can get the water taxi back
great falls shouldn't take long at all
further out:
colonial towns in virginia, williamsburg, etc.
shenandoah
delaware side of maryland, st michals, etc. (guess you could go to actual delaware if you like the beach)
annapolis
old historical places like harpers ferry
there will be cities you can stop off along the way to these places like frederick, richmond, etc. if you care

also, i wouldn't go in the middle of summer. it was already hot and muggy here last weekend. summer will be brutal. spring is probably the overall best time to visit, but it's a very narrow window and very touristy. for a safer bet, i'd go in late sept/early oct.
>>
>>2646890
Stay out of the southeast quadrant of DC and the surrounding area. The most feral, retard apes roam there
>>
>>2646902
Short but decent list of recommendations.

My wife and I just moved about 15 minutes from D.C. this past summer, so I don't think I have the experience or insight to add much else. However, if OP likes history, I'd also suggest heading down to George Washington's Mount Vernon in Fairfax County. It's an easy drive from the city, and wouldn't cost much to Uber from Huntington Metro Station.

If OP wants to visit Mount Vernon but is a cheapskate, there are also at least two Fairfax Connector buses that begin their route at Huntington Metro and terminate directly outside of the entrance to the main estate at Mount Vernon. It'd take about ~25 minutes on the metro from the center of D.C., and then another 30-40 minutes on the bus, depending on traffic--you can use a WMA card on both the metro and the bus.

Also, Gravelly Point near Reagan International Airport is pretty cool for autists who want to kill some time--you can watch planes take off and land from near the end of the runway, which IMO is an interesting way to kill some time. Probably not worth making a detour for, but could prove worthwhile to the right person (though I'd recommend only going if planes are landing from the north).

>>2646944
Who the fuck visits the capital and decides to visit Southeast DC? It wouldn't even be on OP's radar unless he really wanted to buy weed or shrooms from a very specific dispensary.
>>
DC is a good food city. very good guatemalan/honduran. I recommend bicycling a lot. washington national cathedral, the national botanic gardens, and the arboretum are also worth it. don't sleep on DC itself though, especially the lesser visited museums and the lesser visited neighborhoods. if you like planes, head out to udar hazy too. summer is rough to visit but bring a lot of water and you'll be fine.
>>
>>2646981
DC is an absolutely mid food city
t. Lived here for 5 years

Only things I can say is do all the monuments (tidal basin walk), National Gallery of Art is the best museum if you want to go to one. Bangkok 54 in Arlington in a locally famous thai restaurant.
>>
>>2646985
Not him, but disagree. I've lived in Georgetown for 15 years.
>>
>>2646985
it's definitely not NYC or CDMX or São Paulo but DC is definitely a good food city by US standards. I found the hispanic cuisine excellent and was also impressed by the vietnamese. from what I understand DC is much better for $$$$ places which was way out of my price range.
>>
>>2646986
>>2646990
If you want good Korean, Indian, or Thai you have to go into Arlington/Fairfax.
All the American food is run of the mill, and there is about two good Sushi places. Italian selection is low too. I will concede there is good Latin food at smaller joints.
>>
Summer is brutal in D.C. The place is literally a swamp and there’s no shade anywhere.
>>
I literally bust a nut every time I eat pupusas holy FUCK
>>
>>2646997
Annandale and Silver Spring have a great diversity of food. We also have a ton of H Marts around which is nice.
>>
>>2647166

I live right outside DC in Maryland.

Check out the National Harbor in Maryland. It's across the river from Alexandria in Maryland just below the southern tip of DC.

There is Great Falls Park in northern Virginia. It's quite beautiful. It's parallel to the C & O canal and the Potomac and have some rock scrambling. Pretty comfy.

Old Town Alexandria is cool too.

Further out, you could check out Mt. Vernon the home of George Washington. Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson. Pretty cool...

There is a Six Flags nearby in Maryland but it's mid.

St. Mary's city was the first colony in Maryland. It's on the southern tip where the bay meets the Potomac.
>>
File: Harpers Ferry.jpg (264 KB, 1024x682)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
>>2646890
Frederick and Harper's Ferry are nice. You can technically get there by train but the 2nd half is commuter rail so you'd have to stay the night and take an early morning train back. and it's probably not cheap.
>>
>>2647805
I think i stayed for a weekend in one those houses on the top of the hill there. Great view and nice town.

It's an easy weekend trip on amtrak from DC.
>>
>>2646890
Visit Old Alexandria and Arlington. I did that last summer with my relative who lives in Maryland, DC looks like a nice town now even if there's still bad corners, Georgetown looks really great even if I only saw the harbor.

The only thing is that it's horrifyingly muggy.
>>
>>2647917
>The only thing is that it's horrifyingly muggy.
Well it is a literal swamp, that's what you get when you build your city on swamp land, you get swamp-ass summers.
>>
>>2647930
>>2647917
This is not good reasoning and a dumb take. Much of the New England coast and even parts of the bay area and LA are marshland but they arent muggy. The fact that there was a swamp there has nothing to do with the mugginess
>>
>>2647805
My grandparents lived in that area. My grandfather used to take me to the C&O canal tow path. It's cool because it runs right along the Potomac River and goes from DC to god knows where, Cumberland? It's 100s of miles. We'd look at trains pass by and he could tell me about them. Feels bad man.
>>
>>2646890
Nice Japan-filter you applied on that photo of DC my mouth webt ibstantly like this -----> :O
>>
>>2646947
Frederick Douglass’s house is a national park and it’s a got really nice museum that’s worth the trip out to southeast DC.
>>
File: 1686499356247059.jpg (4.42 MB, 4500x3000)
4.42 MB
4.42 MB JPG
>>2648110
That's just the tidal basin anon, it's had cherry blossoms for over 100 years.
>>
>>2647973
i live about a mile from the canal and then it's just 3 miles to Harper's Ferry. very cozy.
>>
>>2646898
This, with emphasis. That said, if you ARE there during miserable summer weather, know you can see many of the outdoor monuments and such at night -- at least a bit cooler, and they are very impressive lit up at night. And usually less crowded.
>>
>>2646890
Any good AIRBNB recs for a single traveler with a car and moderate finances, specifically the more interesting areas?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.