[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Kek Philadelphia thinks it's a big city
>>
>>2650544
Better than the midwest
>>
>>2650544
Are you retarded? Philly is the 2nd largest city in that region after NYC.
>>
>>2650544
enough rich people live in philly to give it relevancy
>>
Philly is an afterthought in that group.
>>
>>2650544
>Philadelphia
>No Newark
>No Wilmington
>No Worcester
Seems like they just picked cities at random
>>
>>2650544
>>2650822
Are you pretending to be stupid right now?
>>
>>2650544
There will never be true highspeed there
>>
>>2650774
No rich people live in Philly
>>
>>2652749
There already is
>>
>>2652751
You’re right. They live on the Main Line.

>>2650544
It’s the 6th most populous city in the country and the 8th most populous metro in the country. It’s significantly bigger than Boston and the city proper is bigger than Washington, D.C. You are retarded.
>>
>>2652751

Philadelphia has a huge ukrainian jewish diaspora and they own everything there. One of the biggest watch dealers (Luxury Bazaar) in the country is based there.

Reason the city is broke beyond recognition is because those same jews only give jobs and opportunities to each other and keep everything on lock down.
>>
>>2653797
What are you talking about? Yeah, there are a lot of Jews in Philadelphia and Montgomery County. No, they don’t everything. The richest people in the Philly are all white people. Vanguard is out in Malvern. Chester Co. is one of the wealthier counties in the country. They’re white (non-Jews) LARPing as British aristocrats out there. The only real exception I can think of is Jeff Yass. Philly metro area is not broke. Philly proper is broke AF because it’s 70% black, the mayor is black, the sheriff is black, the city council is black, and the industrial economy left decades ago. It has nothing to do with Jews.
>>
I don’t understand the Philly hate. I lived in Philly from 2017 to 2019 and have lived in the Philly suburbs for the last year. There are a lot of (big) cons for Philly but there are a lot of pros too a, pros that you only find in 2 or 3 or other cities. I have a love hate relationship with it so I can see where people get the hate but not where they fail to get the love because there is a lot to love. This place is not like Detroit or St. Louis or even Baltimore or something. Not at all.
>>
>>2653803
North Philly is rough. On par with Baltimore. Overall it's an interesting and vibrant city with lots of culture, history, architecture, food, nightlife museums and sports.
>>
>>2653809
North Philly is more or less the same as an equivalent area of Baltimore. All American cities have places like that. So it seems silly to judge it on that basis.
>>
>>2653869
I doubt there is anywhere quite like Kensington in any other city.
>>
>>2653884
Well, there is. Kensington just gets the most attention.
>>
>>2652751
Main Line, although technically not Philly, is one of the richest areas in the country. There are huge houses all over the place
>>
>>2654103
Those would just be average people in NYC
>>
>>2653750
>>2653797
>>2654103
The areas surrounding Philly aren't Philly
>>
>>2653801
>Montgomery County. No, they don’t everything. The richest people in the Philly are all white people. Vanguard is out in Malvern. Chester Co. is one of the wealthier counties in the country.
So not Philly?
>>
>>2653884
Skid row is similar. and that area in Vancouver seems just as bad with drug use. Only been to skid row and Kensington though
>>
>>2654178
>>2654179
Political boundaries around cities aren't often useful outside of... politics. Urban and metro areas are much more useful comparison tools and more useful in daily life. Phoenix city covers a huge land area, so the suburbs are included in the political city. Quite different from how Philly is set up. To say Phoenix is a bigger (population) city than Philly would be correct in political definitions, but incorrect in common usage and other more meaningful ways. Jersey City is better integrated with the core of nyc than much of nyc itself is. The culture of Hoboken is no more different to the east village than the culture of bay ridge is to the east village. The most accurate definition of Tokyo as a city (the 23 wards) doesn't even exist as a political entity anymore.
>>
>>2654206
So not Philly? Got it
>>
>>2654206
Self hating jerseyfag please
>>
>>2650544
>Kek Philadelphia thinks it's a big city
Philadelphians don't think that.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/npV7uDP95dk
>we're the underdogs
>we embrace that
>we're a small blip on the universe doing our thing
You are lying, retarded, a troll.
>>
>>2654179
>>2654178
The rich people of DC, San Francisco, Boston, etc. don’t live inside those cities either. They live in the suburbs. New York is the only city where rich people live in the city.
>>
>>2650544
>DC
>big city
KEEEEEEEEEK
>>
>>2655221
DC isn’t that big but the metro is pretty big
>>
The old Philly vs. Chicago debate. Basically identical cities, but Chicago is more self-sufficient and stand-alone whereas Philly gets a ton of benefit from its proximity to DC and NYC. Both are in a supremely fucked up state right now, but if you aren't going to live in NYC and don't have a job that makes Boston, DC or the Bay viable then you can't really do much better in terms of city livin'
>>
>>2655846
I didn’t know it was a debate. Pennsylvania is better than Illinois but Chicago is better than Philadelphia. I don’t see how this can even be debated. These are the only very large big high density cities in the country and Philadelphia is the worst of the three. If you want a big city and can’t afford New York, Chicago is your best option. Philadelphia would be your best choice only if you’re a local or want to stay on the East Coast. It’s not even cheaper than Chicago.
>>
>>2655948
Yeah if you don't have ties to PA or the Northeast already, Chicago is miles better no question.
>>
>>2653659
Acela is only faster because it skips some NEC stops.
>>
>>2654565
There's Beacon Hill and Back Bay in Boston.
>>
>>2654565
Lol. Suburbs are for poorfags
>>
>>2656284
Philly also has those. Rittenhouse Square, Old City.
>>
>>2654180
Maybe skid row but drug addicts immigrate to Kensington to live there.
>>
>>2656286
Insane cope. Breathe your shitty polluted air and never see stars in your life.
>>
>>2658284
suburbs are terrible places too see stars lol
>>
>>2656286
Meanwhile the suburbs of DC are three of the five wealthiest counties in the entire country.
>>
>>2656284
Rittenhouse is more cosmopolitan than those
>>
>>2652751
Most live on the Mainline. Rich people in Center City live in Rittenhouse or Society Hill.
>>
>>2658487
>>2656304
>>2658391
Every city has small parks that means nothing
>>
Manayunk Philly off of Kelly Drive behind the art museum is a gem, I would kill to live there. I live in the NJ pine Barrens and its pretty comfy but boring.
>>
>>2659628
Manyunk isn’t behind the art museum and Manayunk is kind of a dump. It’s a pretty popular spot for graduates because it’s cheaper. I think you’re thinking of Fairmount.
>>
>>2653659
>(((high speed)))
>240km/h top speed
>reaches that speed for like 40km
>average is like 66mph
lmao
>>
>>2659637
That whole area on the north side of the Schuylkill is beautiful to me. I saw tons of gorgeous women running around in tight shorts and cool young groups of fixed bike kids smoking pot and people fishing. Its a very nice sense of community and activity especially coming from atco NJ where local pig inbred wop cops bust up community kickball games for being "unsanctioned"
>>
>>2659643
sounds like Thalys
>>
>>2659649
>>2659628
>>2659628
Manayunk is pretty cheap honestly. I grew up in the area so I've basically explored it all so wouldn't want to live there though
>>
>>2659649
Yeah well New Jersey does suck. I lived in Cherry Hill for a while so I know. Unironically it was the worst place I’ve ever lived.
>>
>>2659816
My area is not terrible, I am tapped into the Piney bonfire and dirtbike crowd that I grew up with. I lived in Pacific Beach San Diego and somehow still ended up coming back here. I will be relocating to beat these property taxes though.
>>
>>2659816
Where did you end up moving to?
>>
>>2659938
Pennsylvania, then Virginia, then New York. I’ve also lived in California and Maryland.
>>
>>2659816
cherry hill could make anyone want to violently kill themselves
>>2659936
omg piney representation? chatsworth born and raised here

re: thread, philadelphia changed my life. thanks to the music scene in west philly, i made so many fucking quality friends. just good fucking people. love philly to pieces, but ive seen the homicide and opiate epidemics destroy too many innocent peoples' lives to stay there any longer
>>
>>2660152
Philly is the only city you can simultaneously love and admit that it’s a shit hole. If it didn’t have the problems it has, it would be the best city by far.
>>
>>2660152

True Piney. I live off the grid somewhere in Burlington County on private land. NJ laws are ass backwards and the land is not zoned for building so the taxes are cheap af. I snuck in a single wide trailer, drilled a shallow well, installed a simple diy septic, and solar field + generator for electric and am living pretty fucking good for legit only a few grand a year.
>>
>>2660152
At least the opioids just destroy north and west Philly mostly
>>
>>2659649
>cool young groups of fixed bike kids smoking pot
Thank god the late '00s-early '10s hipster era is dead

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.