[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 456576574535342.jpg (173 KB, 1385x1367)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>2nd richest city in Asia
>smack dab in the middle of all the cool shit
>nobody here seems to be even aware it exists
>literally not even a single thread in years

??? QRD on Brunei
>>
Read up about it and you will see why it's not a destination worth spending time I.
>>
>>2655340
I went there years ago to BSB. They have a free theme park where you can ride some pretty cool roller coasters all by yourself
>>
>>2655351
How bad could the 2nd richest country in Asia possible be?
>>
Deep dive forbidden knowledge of Bruenei is that a time traveller set up the sultanate and plotted out the exact dimensions of one of the largest oil deposits in asia before petroleum surveying was invented. Implemented islamofascism and isolationism is maintain order while he accumulates wealth to use in his own timeline.

"Surprise" when oil is discovered in the exact dimensions claimed by the sultanate hundreds of years prior. Double down on isolationism and islamofascism. Currently on "cruise" mode. Nobody messes with it because potential for the guy who set it up to go and erase them from history and everything is a bit fucked in that regard anyways from other incursions.

Tl;Dr one of few proofs of time travel thanks to hilariously specific dimensions of oil field vs. plotted out claims of the sultanate prior to invention of petroleum fuels.
>>
>>2655356
It's richest in gdp. 99% of the wealth is controlled by the sultan, who is one of the richest people in the world.
>>
File: IMG_20231207_103610.jpg (5.6 MB, 4000x3000)
5.6 MB
5.6 MB JPG
>>2655340
I went there last year. I was constantly stopped in the street by locals curious why a foreigner had visited their country and wanting to welcome me. Strangers would offer to cover my meals at restaurants.
The city is not walkable at all, everything is designed with the dirt cheap fuel prices in mind. I foolishly assumed there would be busses or taxis running from the ferry terminal (25kms from the city) but ended up having to hitch hike 3 times and walk through the Borneo rain just to make it to my hotel by night time.
The travellers you meet there are all experienced country counters who thought they might as well tick it off the list.
The Sultans propaganda museum is kino.
Talk a boat driver into taking you through the backwaters to see the crocs and proboscis monkeys. I saw maybe 20 of the cheeky fellas.
Overall it was worth visiting at the end of my time in Sabah but I wouldn't go to Borneo just to visit Brunei.
>>
>>2655340
When I was a child, my mother had a friend whose husband was the private pilot of Sultan of Brunei. She lived in luxury, but always had to secretly travel to Malaysia on a private boat to buy alcohol. Her husband is now retired but the sultan is still alive. Maybe I should let my old contacts play and go to Brunei. Maybe I can work for the sultan too.
>>
>>2655340

Dated a Bruneian Chinese girl in the UK for a few years. I'll probably dox myself on the rare chance that her or her friends are reading this but whatever. QRD:

- Hugely segregated society with "native" Muslim Bruneian supremacy. Bruneian Chinese, actual native Borneans, and predominantly white expats (who else will work the oil fields?) are second-class citizens.
- Only Bruneian Muslims and the top 1% of Chinese are allowed to buy property. Everybody else is destined to rentcuck forever.
- It's a dry country. You can get booze in some Chinese restaurants if they determine you to be trustworthy enough but you'll likely have to live there for a few weeks or months before that's the case. It's typically shitty Chinese wine or beer served covertly in a teapot. Otherwise, you can bring in a limited amount of booze for personal use.
- The currency (Bruneian dollars) is pegged with the Singaporean dollar. Given how much cheaper things are in Brunei, this seems like a great deal... until you realise there's fuck-all worth buying and no native industry to invest in that isn't already owned by the Sultan or multinational oil firms.
- Despite the absolute lack of any infrastructure -- save for a highway and some shit city roads -- the locals all seem to believe they're as classy and cultured as Singaporeans. They're incredibly entitled and rude and the culture combined the worst of hard-line Islam and Chinese Confucianist nonsense.
- The nature is pretty cool. Crocodiles, huge lizards, monkeys in BSB and mostly untouched ancient rainforest in the southern province. Go LARP Swiss Family Robinson amongst the orangutans. They spent millions building a bridge to make it easier to access from the "mainland" but nobody wants to be an eco-tourist in a soulless shithole. Who could have guessed?

Happy to answer any more questions you might have. I don't recommend visiting though or even knowing Bruneians. It's better off forgotten tbqh.
>>
>>2655416
I want to geht in touch with the sultan, how can I reach him ?
>>
>>2655416
How is jail? What happens of i beat up a few cops? The whole cuntry feels like a joke
>>
>>2655419
Write to him or meet him at public events. He's old now but still attends a lot of ceremonies and Islamic celebrations. When my ex-gf was studying in the UK, he'd actually invite all the UK-based Bruneian students to his Hilton on Park Lane in London where he'd supply a buffet, give a speech, and hand out hundreds of pounds to each student that attended. He's surprisingly easy to actually meet.

>>2655420
I don't know much about jail but cops don't fuck around. Even if they remotely suspect you of anything or you look a little funny then they'll give you a hard time. Speeding (on the main highway) is mostly ignored though. Don't believe what you read about Brunei enforcing Sharia law: it's just to make the local Muslims shit themselves and tow the line.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.