[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: dwadwa.png (1.44 MB, 1099x585)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB PNG
Going on a work trip for one month in August in Oxford and Abingdon, UK. I will be traveling alone and have the evenings and weekends off, including som some days here and there. I can switch on hotels as I wish.

What is there to do and look at? How is the people? How is the pubs and the nightlife?
Never traveled alone for this long before. Among my friends, brits are known to act hostile and try to start shit when out.
How is Oxford compared to Abingdon?

Where do I stay? Best way to commute?

I like cosy small villages and old infrastructure/history and landscape, also to check out beer/pubs and nightlife. 30y dude from Norway btw.
>>
>>2657222
anon oxford is one of the most historic cities in england. apart from anything else it has probably the best museum in the country outside of london (the ashmolean)
of course it has a massive student population but august is outside of term time so there won't be as many things going on. but depending on the dates you are there you might hit the tourist season
abingdon is just a fairly ordinary commuter town. forgettable
>>2657222
>Among my friends, brits are known to act hostile and try to start shit when out.
here is some general advice, if you want some information from people it is best not to start out by talking shit about them
>>
>>2657222
Sounds good, Oxford being where it is gives you easy access to the South + Midlands. Plenty of castles + cathedrals along with plenty of pubs dotted around everywhere, just avoid the big cities. The Cotswolds is right on your doorstep too. For transport try and rent a car, buses are shit and the trains are constantly striking and are expensive as fuck.
>>
It's a town for rich people filled with students of one of the most prestigious universities in the world, it's not Essex or Benidorm. You're may get lots of drunk people on a Saturday night but you're not going to get many people going out to start shit.

There's all sorts of pubs doing craft beers and ciders. Lots of beautiful countryside near by and you're near Windsor (with its castle).

Seconding renting a car, even if only for odd days. Oxford is positioned great but it's oddly difficult to get to places by public transport. Longer drives could drive down to the Portsmouth Historic docks to see the Mary Rose (recovered Tudor flagship wreck), HMS Victory (Nelson's flagship) and a bunch of other ships and subs. There's the Black Country museum in Birmingham which is a living museum covering the industrial revolution to the 1950s and next to a canal boat museum
>>
Oxford pubs were disappointing
I was looking for old, cliche England and got modern, craft IPA, contemporary dull decor, and such
sought out a few decent ones, though

history, architecture, and all that are good
walkable
expensive
crowded during the summer
loads of chinese tourists, euro youth
>>
>>2657427
>Oxford pubs were disappointing
general advice for anyone visiting the uk: find a decent pub guide
most are online now but book versions tend to be easier to use
find a guide that is suitable for your purpose as they have different target audiences
example
the AA guide is more about atmosphere, places that are family friendly, have nice food, etc
the Camra guide is written by people who are basically nazis about beer
>>
File: 1684113963900246.png (1.36 MB, 700x914)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB PNG
>>2657503
>>2657427
Listen mate, If u wanna true taste of England, u aint gonna find it in those pooftah bars for turists.
U want a propa English pub mate. Walk around until u find a flat-rooved bar like in picrel, pic up sum gear, tell it how it is and score a bit of mine. u know it makes sense.
>>
File: 1580515563122.png (1.65 MB, 675x900)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB PNG
>>2657222
I live in Abingdon.
There's very little here, there's a museum and if you like walking go to the Nag's head and walk up and down the river , there's lots of farmer's field that double up as walking paths so if the whether is nice (it is now) then it's worth a little trek. Also visit Radley Lakes if you like, it's a very short trail, but a hotspot for dog walkers and avid cyclists.

Take the X1 if you want a scenic route to Oxford, X2 and X3 bus goes 'express' to Oxford and usually bypasses Wantage and Kennington in favour of the motorway.
>x2, x3 - 20 minutes to Oxford
>x1 40 minutes~
You can do contactless on your debit card to start/stop or just buy a 'return for Oxford', about £4~.

>There's no train station in Abingdon.
>Avoid Didcot (it's our shit hole neighbour)
>Go to Parson's Bakery (opposite Greggs) and round the side of Costa/Starbucks in the town sq.
>There's a handful of takeaways in Abingdon including 1 McDonalds. Check Just Eat or Deliveroo or Uber Eats.
>Wendy's, KFC, Popeyes are all in Oxford and do not deliver to Abingdon
>Strong chance you cannot get an Uber in Abingdon so rely on buses, but 99% of Abingdon is walkable.

If you're daring and it's sunny, you could go paddle boarding on the Thames, it's pretty cheap and you can potter about Abingdon.

Waitrose is the largest supermarket here, there's a tiny Spar in town and Tescos express dotted about. Budgens is a bit further away from the town centre.

I will check back to the thread, but I would expect you'll spend most of your time in Oxford as it's built around tourism and Abingdon is built for 'living'.

There's also a few bars/pubs in Abingdon but no Clubs I think
>>
>>2657427
You should have gone to York then

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.