[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: barky.png (81 KB, 355x285)
81 KB
81 KB PNG
Duolingo used to be a fairly useful website.

Back when people could submit courses, there was a forum and there were the guidebooks. And it's complete dogshit that the cunts who are in charge of Duolingo thought it was a good idea to just delete those features all together. All of the 3rd party submitted courses like Maori just never got to be released.

I live in England and some of the languages I've been learning are Welsh, Dutch and Finnish.

Is there anything as good as Duolingo I can use instead? The thing I hate about most language learning websites is that it tends to be the most uninteresting, unintuitive, ineffective gameplay ever. Usually just listening to audio clips of people greeting each other and just matching up words with pictures and little explanation of how to construct a sentence.

Duolingo of course was never going to make you fluent and was more for your reading and writing but at least with the old version, it was straightforward and some of the guidebooks before they were deleted actually had very elaborate and readable explanations of grammar. It just gave you a clear place to start and where to go next.

Is there anything worth using instead, again many language learning websites are crap. I feel like the only way to study a language without expensive classes or hoping for the best with immersion is to just use textbooks as the old school way.
>>
I've used Mango and it's pretty good, most libraries will give you access to it for free.

I've heard good things about Babbel too
>>
In my opinion, for Indo-European languages, just use a book to learn the grammar (won't be arduous) and use something like Clozemaster for vocab, and you've got the language. Pair it with native-language material if you can. Also, Anki is overkill for these for me.
Sadly, they paywalled Clozemaster. It's based off the Tatoeba translation dataset, so if you're a compsci nerd with more time than me, you could probably make your own SRS cloze thing. Or just a cloze anki deck, but it's not gamefied at all sadly.
>>
The Fluent forever app has a Dutch language learning option.
Are you also watching Dutch tv shows with Dutch subtitles? That's a good way to develop your language skills.
>>
Unironically just talk to ChatGPT. Tell it that you want to learn Dutch. It's a little clunky but it's so responsive to your needs that you learn much faster than the rote learning with the apps. Once they get the accents down and the text-to-speech is more smooth all language learning apps will probably go out of business. It's not for everyone but I've been learning languages for a long time. If you're willing to look past the warts you can learn a lot really fast.

Of course nothing beats working with a native tutor.
>>
>>2659911
This is a pretty typical interaction. Overall it feels very fluid and natural, and pretty fun. Duolingo so often feels like "hitting the books." With ChatGPT you can just talk about whatever you want and it teaches you new words.
>>
There's a non-profit alternative springing up called Lingonaut.
>>
>>2659290
Just brute force Anki decks and grammar YouTube videos for 5 hours a day. Also watch into the spiderverse 50 times in your target language I hear that helps (In all seriousness repeatedly watching content in the language will help).
>>
>>2659290
>I feel like the only way to study a language without expensive classes or hoping for the best with immersion is to just use textbooks as the old school way.
that's because you're right
>>
Is there anything that is useful for learning that doesn't assume you're a retard that can't figure out the grammar. For example, learning material with three rows. I'm having trouble learning both grammar and vocab on apps like duolingo. First row native, 2nd row vocab translated still in original order (non translatable linker words can be in brackets), and third row in English?

blah blah blah blah blah blah.
Cooked I the dinner [untranslated object linker that has no English equivalent] you
I cooked dinner for you
>>
>>2659290
>Any good alternatives to Duolingo?
first read https://tatsumoto.neocities.org/blog/why-shouldnt-i-just-keep-using-an-app-instead
then read https://tatsumoto.neocities.org/blog/table-of-contents
>>
>>2659815
Mango is definitely a good start for most languages. Maybe you have to supplement it with a few google searches after 20 hours or so to truly have the surviving ability level, but pretty good pronunciation and what not. Duolingo made me good at reading, only, and Mango made me decent enough at speaking and hearing.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.