[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>>
>>2662159
point maxxing
hope for last minute deals or upgrades
>>
>>2662159
I'm not much of a conservative, but there isn't such thing as a free meal, or "cheap luxury".
>>
>>2662159
Start playing the points and miles game with credit cards. I've been to Europe maybe 5 or 6 times in last 5 years or so and have two planned next year in business class total cash outlay has probably been 1000..and one was 500 I paid to upgrade a Premium Economy seat.
>>
File: 1693090715104925.gif (1.91 MB, 300x228)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB GIF
>>2662159
>LOVE
>WORK
>travel
>REPEAT!
>>
>>2662159
KLM/AF has discount business class rates on certain long haul routes. They are a separate O booking class, though there is no difference in what you get.
They cost around double of Y class, sometimes I've seen it for less than premium economy would have been.
>>
People have already given the good answers.

Another thing is to just be lucky, which is a very shitty answer. One time, I found business class tickets that were cheaper than economy class. This was a long-haul intercontinental flight with a major airline. I didn't do anything special or different, I was just shopping around for airfare like a regular chucklefuck.
Obviously, I do not have any advice on how to make it happen, but what I am saying is that it CAN happen.
>>
>>2662170
how does this work? i dont fly that much
mostly 1 time a year
>>
>>2662188
1. be American
2. open and close credit cards with signup bonuses regularly
>>
>>2662159
get a job with a company that has a business class travel policy
>>
>>2662188
Here's an oversimplified process:
1. You get a credit card that offers travel points.
2. You use the card for every personal expense in your life. Anything and everything you were already planning to spend money on, you use this card. Gas, groceries, shopping, etc.
3. Collect points.
4. Once you have enough, you redeem them. Usually you'll go to book plane tickets, and you add the business class tickets to your cart. When you check out, you throw in your points and watch the dollars melt away.

It's more nuanced than this, but this should be enough to get you started.
>>
>>2662190
>1. be American
This is a very important step. Other countries don't know how to do credit card rewards very well. Not even Canada, America's closest neighbor.
>>
>>2662193
It's always hilarious how americans never seem to realise that for instance all of continental europe does NOT run on a similar credit card system, basically every kind of 'travel hacking' for business class flights is depending on the potential customer being american or sometimes british to work. Credit cards in the Netherlands are barely existing and the only thing that gives something akin to points is American Express, which is horribly overpriced.
>>
>>2662202
Even countries in Europe that have a tradition of proper credit cards (e.g. UK, Switzerland) will not offer rewards that go above 1~2% cashback value.
On the other hand merchant fees in Europe are lower, so people not using credit cards everywhere don't subsidise credit card rewards.
>>
File: 694.jpg (63 KB, 694x521)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>2662202
>Credit cards in the Netherlands are barely existing
That threw me for a loop.

>visit Netherlands for the first time
>use Visa card at Albert Heijn without a problem
>visit Netherlands again, 3 years later
>Albert Heijn no longer accepts credit cards
>cashier told me they might've done this due to low usage
>>
>>2662192
>1. You get a credit card that offers travel points.
>2. You use the card for every personal expense in your life.
Which one
I am not american
>>
>>2662208
it's not only credit cards but basically all visa cards including debit cards were not accepted in the netherlands for a long time
some places like airports, train stations always accepted them but most places didn't
i think the situation is now changing. i read that many supermarkets now accept them but last time i was there our friend albert still didn't like my uk visa debit card
>>
>>2662159
I never thought I could hate a pillow this much
>>
>>2662224
>>2662208
AH is kinda the oddball for still not accepting cards, but for instance jumbo does accept American Express. But yeah, the Netherlands just run on debit cards.
>>
Europeans get absolutely cucked on this one. Probably redeemed north of $100k in flights now.
>>
File: 654356789.png (901 KB, 2198x1094)
901 KB
901 KB PNG
>>2662190
>>2662193
Australia and New Zealand have the same airline point maxxing credit cards. I'm pretty sure that Singapore and Hong Kong have them too.
>>
I did a trip once where I needed a lot of checked luggage. Business class (with ample inclusive allowance) was actually cheaper than economy once you allowed for my bags.
>>
>>2662159
you dont.
>>
>>2662193
The only thing the USA has going for it, is it's cracked credit system. No other country can compare nor can their publicly traded companies raise cash like Americorps
>>
>>2662764
Airline and hotel cards are almost never worth it. You want a flexible currency like Chase, AMEX, Capital One, or Citi. Then you can take advantage of transfer bonuses and booking through partners.
>>
>>2663229
don't americans usually have to pay an annual fee for their credit cards? even fairly ordinary ones?
that alone seems weird to me. you have to pay money to a huge corporation for the privilege of having a device that enables you to get into more debt
of course you can get into debt in any country but at least we can do it for free
>>
>>2663297
Americans have a very advanced niggercattle ranch system. The cattle pay for their own corrals.
>>
>>2663297
While you make a good point one has to point out that credit cards with yearly fees usually have additional services that you'd have to pay extra otherwise e.g. travel insurance, some kind of concierge service, access to lounges, etc.
You have to see it as a bundle of services and decide if it is worth it.
>>
How much of a discount is it, converting those travel points to dollars you've spent as opposed to buying business class?

I guess it's really a matter of how often you use a credit card. I only use mine when I make a big purchase.
>>
File: IMG_1291.jpg (119 KB, 1200x675)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
I'm enjoying my NEET class
>>
>>2662168
To say that deals don't exist is ludicrous
>>
>>2662170
>take 10 to 12 flights (not even counting connectors)
>woweeee I've enough gudgoi points to buy an eraser
>>
File: OIP (15).jpg (20 KB, 474x316)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>2662170
>>2662161
>>2662192
>>2662190
Ok, what about us no-debt chads?
>>
>>2663500
Contrary to the stereotype you can use credit cards without ever creating a single cent of debt AND get all the benefits associated with them.
>>
>>2663515
I would like to do that. But it's gonna be a hard sell for the wife. Once she got her loans paid she's completely anti-debt. I'm with her for the most part, but I still get tempted by the point potential.
>>
>>2662205
>Even countries in Europe that have a tradition of proper credit cards (e.g. UK, Switzerland) will not offer rewards that go above 1~2% cashback value.
Switzerland really doesn’t do card rewards at all—I have little “Platinum/Preferred” cards from both of my local banks and the “points” I get are slightly less valuable in practice than those I get from my supermarket loyalty cards. They’re seriously great when it comes to exchange rates and foreign transaction convenience, but they don’t really even try to add anything on top.
>>
>>2662161
I found upgrades to be the best value for points. Got business class from Sydney to London for 1200 dollarydoos, was glorious.
>>
>>2662224
>>2662208
Amsterdam "ring" is green zone for Visa and MC, den haag is good for the most part, other cities are dead zones
I remember hearing about mandating Visa and MC starting from 2024 or so but I guess not
>>
>>2663539
I genuinely cannot understand this logic. Does your wife have so little self control she just can't resist shopping?
>>
>>2664024
The feeling of being free from Semitic control is not something to be dismissed lightly.
>>
>>2664126
They only control you if you go into debt. Don't go into debt and you're in control. That sure was tough!
>>
>>2664134
Once you use the credit card, you went into debt.
>>
>>2664170
>Pay it off as soon as the charge posts
Woah
>>
>>2664170
What are you talking about? Do you seriously not know how credit cards work? No wonder you and your wife are bad with money.
>>
>>2664253
he's right, though. unless you do this >>2664190 then a credit card is an instant debt card. convincing people that this is a good idea and convincing people that the more a massive corporation allows you to get into debt, the more prestigious you are and the more they can charge you for the privilege- and in addition charging a retailer for permission to allow people to use the card to pay for things- if i was a religious person i would say that is some of satan's finest work
>>
pointsmaxxing niggas what are your go to credit cards for newbies at the hobby.
>>
>>2664627
It heavily depends on your spending habits income and other factors such as what cards you already have and the type of travel you intend to do.
For specifically travel there's multiple options such as the chase sapphire preferred, capital one venture x, us bank altitude reserve and much more. There's no card that fits all.
>>
>>2664630
I am unemployed and living off of savings, completely directionless in life and have no plans for the future. I think I will do some domestic flying and travelling for a while to get the most bang for my buck and then who knows. So i might go with chase sapphire to start.
>>
>>2664633
If you have no prior credit history then it's unlikely you'd get approved. If you want to move forward with Chase as a bank get a freedom unlimited then the sapphire and pool the points together for flight or hotel redemptions.
>>
>>2664190
And yet the vast majority of Americans are in debt.
>>
>>2664253
Once we stopped using debt and learned to simply save our finances and lives got much better. And then we happened to get lucky on when we bought our house.
>>
>>2664676
The entire kike'd US system is based off debt. Look at the federal reserve. They have got them entire population trained to take out debt just to buy a house, a car, school, etc....everything
>>
>>2664677
Credit cards are only debt if you carry a balance. Otherwise it's revolving credit.

Don't use it for cash withdrawal.

Use it for all purchases to gain perks like theft protection, extended warranty, etc.

Use it to gain points.

Do the math, often a "fee" card is worth the costs. I pay $800 a in fees between two cards that have saved me over 50 airport meals between me and family travelling with me. That's before counting the free liquor.
>>
>>2664634
I have <720 credit and 30k in savings. Can I play the pointsmax game or should I just smuggle my way across borders?
>>
>>2664684
I agree it's disgusting. And you can tell how cucked the west is when you hear how much they defend their own shackles and deride anyone who simply chooses not to play a rigged game.
>>
>>2664739
>Credit cards are only debt if you carry a balance. Otherwise it's revolving credit.
Once you charge the card, you owe. Somewhere in the distance hands are rubbed together semiticly
>>
>>2664797
That's not how it works.

Once you charge the card you owe what you would have paid anyway.

Once a statement generates you owe interest if not paid between 15 and 45 days (varies by state, country, province, and issuer).

I pay my statements, so I do not owe interest, as I don't use cash advances. Only cash and cash equivalent transactions start charging interest immediately
>>
>>2664844
>That's not how it works.
>Once you charge the card you owe
Thank you for your agreement.
But if you want to get in bed with the Synagogue of Satan for chuckie-cheese points, I can't stop you. Just realize there's another way.
>>
>>2664854
I'm getting back 11% in spend, more if I count J upgrades. If you wanna miss out that's on you.
>>
>>2664877
I do appreciate you quantifying the benefit at least. And that 11% is of what, your expenditures?
>>
>>2664930
11% return on points based on redemptions (I don't count J. As I wouldn't pay those prices) for all purchases on credit cards. Less fees. I pay everything on credit cards, optimizing signups and categories.
>>
>>2663539

Anon... credit cards are fine as long as you don't end up treating them as free money (as most retards do). If you use them as means of payment making sure you get billed at the end of the month rather than building up debt and (gasp!) it's not debt at all.
>>
>>2664269
Then do that. Just set it to pay off in full every month and you never need to think about it again. It's functionally a debit card with some additional benefits.
>>
>>2663539
I typically get 6-8 new credit cards a year, rotating through them for sign up bonuses. The benefits are choice, but if you do not have 110% confidence in your ability to manage your finances, DO NOT get any form of credit card. Credit card debt is an insidious trap from which many can never escape.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.