[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

In august, I will be traveling to Washington DC. It's a business/study trip, but I will have two days in which I'll be completely free, and I'd like to spend them wandering around. It's going to be my first time DC and the first time I visit the US at all (coming from western Yurop). I will be traveling alone, and I speak fluent English.
The top three places I absolutely want to see are:
>Washington National Cathderal
>Library of Congress
>House of the Temple
Some other places I'm considering visiting, but aren't top of the list, are:
>Arlington Cemetery
>Smithsonian Air and Space Museum
>Smithsonian American Art Museum
>Basilica of the Immaculate Conception
I plan to spend the evenings walking around to see all the various monuments and memorials, since from what I've heard those are open around the clock. Also, I'm obviously considering a tour of the Capitol, even though I don't know how feasible that is (especially since I only have two days at my disposal).
Any suggestions or general tips regarding the city (lesser known attractions, good places to eat/stay, areas to avoid, rookie mistakes etc.) are more than welcome. Also, let me know if there's anything you think any first-time visitor to the US should know.
General DC / traveling to the US as a foreigner thread
>>
File: 1698915373254678.png (2.54 MB, 2016x1328)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB PNG
>>2674073
DC is unfortunately a massive shithole, you need to stay downtown/on the National Mall or you're gonna die. Avoid the subway at all costs, it's expensive as fuck and smells like ass. Also I'd recommend going to the National Air and Space Museum at Dulles International, all of the cool shit like the SR-71 got moved there a while back. Stay safe out there and tell your boss to go fuck himself for sending you to DC.
>t. southern pennsylvania anon
>>
The metro will get you pretty much everywhere you need to go and costs very little, however, it doesn't run 24/7. The monuments are all outside so they're open 24/7. Do you know where you are staying?
>>2674092
Ignore this retard who lives in a desolate hellhole.
>>
>>2674101
>the metro doesn't run 24/7
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check when it closes since I don't want to accidentally get stranded.
>Do you know where you are staying?
Not yet, but I'm eyeing a hotel near Dupont Circle, which is within walking distance to downtown.
One cool thing about DC seems to be that most of the monuments, museums and attractions are free. Being used to overpriced European capitals, that's quite nice.
>>
>>2674092
>Avoid the subway at all costs
lmao
DC has one of the highest rated subways in the entire country, cleanest, best service, etc.

The only downside is it isn't open 24/7 (though some might argue it's an upside as no homeless people living in stations or on trains)
>>
>>2674107
Nearly everything is free. DuPont is a very happening area but you can easily hop the red line a few stops south to be near the mall. From there you can just walk up and down Constitution to see whatever museums and monuments you want.
>>
The National Mall is pretty self-explanitory. The one time I was there it was busy, then after sunset I only saw one person and he was homeless.

I think the only way to get into the Capitol is to go through your local congressman, check their website. Might be impossible for foreigners idk
>>
>>2674336
>I think the only way to get into the Capitol is to go through your local congressman
I think one of the local historical groups has access for private tours if you donate a certain amount to the organization.

But yea, it's a pain to get tours if you're not part of a school group or similar.
>>
>>2674336
>>2674382
OP here. From what I've read, there's Capitol tours that lead you to the rotunda and in a few other places, but not the Senate and House galleries; for those apparently you need to ask your local congressman (which obviously doesn't apply to me).
I think I'll skip that in favour of spending more time in the outdoors memorials and/or one of the smithsonian museums. I hope I'll get a chance to see Arlington cemetery as well, I have a thing for cool cemeteries.
>>
>>2674385
The cemetery is a whopping 20 minute metro ride and then you’re there. Extremely easy. It you go just don’t be a retard who talks during the changing of the guard.
>>
If you enjoy art the National Gallery is a must.
If you want authentic Jap food, Hanabi Ramen in Arlington (right next ti Clarendon station) is top tier. If you are interested in baseball, tickets to a National game are extremely cheap
>>
>>2674073
OP--I live right across the river from D.C. in Northern Virginia (I can see the Washington Monument from my window, albeit from a bit of a distance). I've only been here for about a year, so I can't give the sorts of insights that a long-term resident might be able to provide.

Anyway:
>Washington National Cathderal
>Library of Congress
>House of the Temple
I haven't been to the House of the Temple, but their website states that visitors may enter for free and without tickets during normal business hours. The Cathedral charges $15 per head, but you can enter for free if you're attending a service.

The Library of Congress, along with some other sites on the Mall, has free tickets but typically requires that you make reservations online. You may or may not have to pay about $1 as a booking an amenity fee.

>Arlington Cemetery
>Smithsonian Air and Space Museum
>Smithsonian American Art Museum
I'm not sure about the American Art Museum, but you also need (free) timed-entry passes for the Air and Space Museum. Again, you may--or may not--have to pay about $1 as a convenience fee. I'd recommend going early in the day, since the Air and Space Museum is one of the most popular Smithsonian museums and is fairly crowded throughout the year.
>>
>>2674483
cont.

> I'm obviously considering a tour of the Capitol
I did a Capitol tour shortly after moving here. They're easy to book--again, online--and don't last a terribly long time. IIRC, the tours are scheduled to last somewhere between 40-60 minutes. Our guide took her time, but we were still in and out within ~1.5 hours.

If you wanted to spend a full day sightseeing, it wouldn't be a bad idea to just book a series of timed-entry tickets to the places that you absolutely want to go to. For example, you could:
>do a Capitol tour first thing in the morning
>walk across the street and do your Library of Congress tour immediately afterward
>walk/electric scooter to the Washington Monument and ride up to the top, really nice views of the White House etc, don't need to spend more than 10-15 minutes tho (~35 minute walk from the Capitol Visitor Center/Library of Congress, free timed-entry passes required--book at least 24 hours+ ahead of time and you're good to go)
>hit up the National Archives immediately afterward (short walk, no tickets required, lines can get sorta long but you don't usually have to wait for more than ~10-15 mins, don't need more than 15-20 mins to see the main exhibits--but cool downstairs gallery has a Magna Carta and shiet)
>walk across the street to the Air and Space Museum or whatever (it's right across the Mall)

Just an example, ofc. I'd probably do the House of the Temple and National Cathedral on a different day--they're both farther from the Mall, but are located along the same Metro line.
>>
>>2674483
>>2674485
cont.

Also, ignore the shit out of everybody who tells you that DC isn't safe. All of the areas that you'll be visiting--with no exceptions whatsoever--are safe, secure, and full of tourists. Shit does go down around the Mall from time to time, but the most crime-ridden neighborhoods are fairly far-flung. You're not going to accidentally wander into the ghetto unless you're trying to accidentally wander into the ghetto.

(no, I haven't been here my entire life, but I walk around DC at night all the fucking time--no issues whatsoever, feels very safe in the aforementioned areas, etc etc)

>>2674108
>>2674101
Also, these. Metro can have some problems with unruly "youths," but it's not the last stop on the Chicago Red Line or some shit.
>>
DC local here, the National Gallery of Art and Newseum are worth it, otherwise everything else is just okay, DC is very walkable and you can see all the monuments like Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln with a half days worth of walking, it’s not as hell in the summer and frequent thunderstorms in the afternoon, there are decent restaurants, nightlife is ok U street for a mixed crowd, Clarendon in Arlington for douchy yuppies, Annapolis is worth a day trip
>>
>>2674492
Hate to break it to you anon but the Newseum closed before COVID.
>>
>>2674500
Damn. I remember seeing their section of the berlin wall. That was about the only cool exhibit they had. Everything else was muh guns and muh refugees bullshit.
>>
>>2674073
I haven’t been to DC in 15 years but it was an awesome city. Your list is be very good but also see if you can visit the spy museum if it is still there. It was awesome.
>>
Would put both Air and Space museums at the top of the list. The one in DC and the one in VA.
They both have more than American stuff. I remember we got some stuff from the Russians as well.
>>
>>2674502
They had a sweet FBI exhibit for a bit with the Unabomber's cabin. The front page of the newspapers from around the world at different time was cool too. Shame.
>>
There are a lot of good restaurants near Dupont Circle, especially if you walk a little bit north to the neighborhood called Adams Morgan. Ignore any anons who say that DC isn’t safe because it’s full of black people, or because America is full of guns, you’ll be fine. I walk around the Adams Morgan/Dupont Circle neighborhood late at night on the weekends and the worst you’ll encounter is some noisy drunk people going bar hopping. Also the National Mall, museum, and Congress areas are all very touristy with lots of police so you’ll be safe.
>>
>>2674510
I've only been to 3 air museums in my life, the USAF museum in Dayton, and the two Smithsonian ones in DC/NoVA.
Honestly hard to pick which is the best of those 3 and I'm scared of going to any air museums elsewhere as I doubt they can compare.
>>
The National Mall is self explanatory and the only place worth seeing. The National cathedral is architecturally impressive but the pride flags really diminish it.
>>
>>2674492
+1 for the National Gallery of Art. It's one of the best art galleries in the world. The Hirshhorn is cool for a stop too. You absolutely have to go to the Lincoln Memorial though. It's the best thing in the city.

You have to go walk around Georgetown. It's the super nice upscale part of the city. Adam's Morgan is where all the cool bars are. DC has a lot of homos, so it's easy to pick up chicks there. They're all desperate for straight white men.
>>
>>2674073
STAY SAFE. I'm not playing with you. Outside of the tourist areas, its 3rd-world ferals fucking up everything they touch. Even in the tourist areas there's regular "random violence" by feral blacks committing hate-crime assaults just for the fun of it.
>>
File: 1710361348723743.jpg (24 KB, 308x302)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>2674734
>>
>>2674073
DC local here. It's a fun city with a lot of good stuff. Everything on your list is solid, and I encourage you to wander to other museums on the National Mall like the National Portrait Gallery. All museums are free (except the Spy Museum, which isn't worth your time).

I've noticed that most people haven't discussed neighborhoods, so I'll give you a run down. Most of downtown DC looks the same and is fine to just walk around. The fun neighborhoods are Georgetown and Navy Yard. Everywhere worth being is accessible by way of the Metro, which is fantastic.

Some people in this thread are worried about crime. You'll be fine, DC has an extremely high murder rate but it's confined to the ghetto southeast of the Anacostia River. You won't go anywhere near there. There will be some annoying homeless people and randos causing trouble (a few dozen ghetto types can often be seen riding loud quadbikes around the National Mall). You won't get robbed though.

Food is good. Def check out Bandit Taco, a quality local chain. You're actually quite lucky because by august, all the annoying interns will be gone.
>>
Go see a Gogo show
>>
File: dc.png (66 KB, 202x213)
66 KB
66 KB PNG
avoid china town, colombia heights, anywhere south of anacostia river.. you'll still run into the occasional skimask (see the TheCapitalLink reddit sub for lols)
west of rock creek people suddenly behave themselves without the need of much armed supervision but this isn't a hard and fast rule. you can start from national mall and work your way north (don't go too north). lots of our streets smell of poop like any other American city but I think you have that at europe too (welcome!)
8th st SE, eastern market, and union market are places where a bunch of white high earning 30yo winesipping taylor swift ticket buyers go to get served $12 coffee by tired black people with face masks. you also have H street where people pay their respects to a mediocre hot dog place called ben's chili bowl, with some combination of the 3 Ts (trash + twerking + tweaking) in a once a proud "OG DC neighborhood" turned gentrified turned ungentrified thanks to a Pandemic and subsequent evaporation of sanity.
>>
File: hvw43sbfit7d1.jpg (181 KB, 1178x2124)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
>>2674735
safer than Sweden!
>>
>>2676783
>>2674073
Yeah this guy is right. As a DC native we don't have a Chinatown it is the worst in the country and somewhat unsafe. However the Portrait Gallery is in the area and fantastic.

Georgetown also very safe and good for tourist things and sightseeing. No one has mentioned it yet, but Old Town Alexandria should be checked out. In Virginia and one of the most walkable and nice neighborhoods in the area with the most local stories meaning non-chains. Torpedo Factory in Alexandria also fantastic if you want to scoop up some local artwork that at times is surprisingly affordable.
>>
>>2674092
>you need to stay downtown/on the National Mall or you're gonna die
The National Mall is the most boring part of the city you tasteless faggot
>>
>>2676880
yeah for a dc native.. op is a tourist who should do tourist things at least once now go back to sleep
>>
>>2674073
>>2674490
i've lived in dc for 8 years. dupont is super safe, you can easily walk down Connecticut avenue and get to the white house, 18-20 minute walk depending on where you're from in dupont. by far the best thing you can do is get a cheap bike to rent for 2 hours and bike around the mall late at night. it's super safe and it's well lit. you can bike from the white house, down 17th st to the lincoln memorial, bike across to capital hill and walk around it late at night. then bike back up to dupont. there's a bike station near safeway at 17th and R street.

the biggest danger you'll have is drunk college kids near admo if you're out on a weekend.

in terms of food and dining, go to the hamilton after 9. otherwise dc only has good el salvadorian and ethopian food. all the good asian food is outside of dc in the suburbs. also try to avoid chinatown/ gallery place metro after dark. shitton of nigs and druggies
>>
>>2674385
Getting access to the Senate and House galleries is actually easier as a foreigner since you don't need to go through a congressmen's office approval procedure. Literally just need to ask for passes in the capitol visitor centre and show them your passport. Just did this last year.
>>
>>2677408
https://www.visitthecapitol.gov/visit/know-before-you-go/watching-congress-in-session
>>
>>2674073
Hello, I was in DC for a day and a half last year, then in Virginia where my friend lives.
>Udvar-Hazy Air and Space is essential, it was only 20 mins from my friends house in Virginia so we went after we did DC. It's 10x better than the Air and Space in DC it has so much cool shit and its in an aircraft hanger. I did both and there was nothing in the DC one close to Udvar Hazy. Blackbird, Spaceships, Concorde, Wright Bros, Enola gay etc.
>We did everything in 1 day, so we got on escooters, went whitehouse, washington, lincoln, jefferson memorials etc. The scooters kept beeping but fuck it we didnt have time to walk everywhere.
>Also did Natural history which was shit compared to NY natural history, Spy Museum which was kiddy and filled with orthodox jews.
Around all the monuments was nice, but I didnt like the city apart from that.
>>
>>2674092
This guy knows
>>2674510
>>2674557
Dulles Air and Space is so superior to DC it's laughable, dunno how you put them on the same tier.
>>
>>2677435
DC's museum was more focused, also they've got a Minute Man missile that my grandpa worked on in the 1960s, so i enjoy seeing that. At the moment though, and for the last several years really, the DC museum has been undergoing some refurbishment and remodeling, so large sections of the building have been closed, and I think it's set to have areas of the building closed until sometime in 2026.

Once that remodel is done I would expect the DC location to be better.

Also, the Dulles building was literally built to handle the large planes and excess shit that wouldn't fit in the DC location, they're the same museum, with two locations.
>>
>>2677444
As I said above, Dulles has all of the cool shit and lots of it. Maybe DC has more information or is more educational, but in terms of being wowed Dulles is far superior.
>>
>>2677507
Yeah because Dulles is just a large open hangar for storing shit with some informational placards scattered around.

And again, they're the same museum. There is no need to talk about them like they're distinct collections.
>>
I had a friend who lived just off New York Ave in DC. She was right on the border between where it got a little nicer and where all the black people lived. We were sitting in her townhouse waiting on a few people to show up so we could go out one night. Our friend walks in and says "We should wait a little before we head out. A lady is walking down the street with a kitchen knife slashing tires and screaming at cars." That was pretty much par for the course in DC. Literally every time I went out, we would see some crazy shit. I saw a transvestite with an AK47. I saw three teens beat an old man unconscious with his cane. I saw gang fights. I saw 3 girls get hit by a car and flip into the air, and the car just drove off. We'd hear random gunshots. I swear Baltimore was safer and that's not high praise.
>>
>>2677527
They're not the same museum, they're 30 minutes away from each other. Tourists who are going to DC dont know that there's 2 Air and Space museums.
>>
File: 1696413111276432.png (846 KB, 1778x493)
846 KB
846 KB PNG
>>2677884
They're the same museum and they share the same collection and most of the same upper administration.
>>
>>2677820
>I had a friend who lived just off New York Ave in DC. She was right on the border between where it got a little nicer and where all the black people lived.
Wow, it's almost like South East DC is a shithole.

Everyone with actual money lives on the west side of the city for a reason, even the "nicer" parts of the east side of the city aren't amazing, and they've only been gentrified over the last 10-15 years.
>>
File: waterfox_GAV38J2xMz.jpg (930 KB, 2053x1182)
930 KB
930 KB JPG
DC local here. Other contributors have given solid advice on your existing list, so I will try to provide more context on the rest of the city. This will be a multi-part post.

1: Neighborhoods

Washington, DC, is a fascinating city, notably for its diverse neighborhoods that await exploration. Many tourists visit DC, see the National Mall and museums, and then tend to stick around Dupont Circle. While this is perfectly fine, there is much more to see. DC is compact enough that you can explore a lot in a short amount of time. This exploration starts with the neighborhoods and surrounding towns and cities.

Before the founding of DC, this region had two primary settlements: Georgetown and Alexandria. Today, both are known as upscale, dense, walkable locations with plenty to do. Georgetown is located west of downtown DC, and Alexandria lies to the south, on the other side of Reagan National Airport in Virginia. I find Georgetown, and particularly M Street, somewhat dull—it has the same shopping you'll find worldwide, it is crowded, challenging to access via transit (no metro line), and offers no shade on hot, sunny days. However, if you head up Wisconsin Avenue, you'll find more interesting and unique stores. I highly recommend the L''Enfant Gallery as a place to spend an hour wandering the labyrinth. Alexandria is far less touristy, and Old Town Alexandria has a rich history and pleasant walking areas. The Torpedo Factory Art Center, a former munitions factory turned artist studios, is worth a visit.
>>
File: 30.jpg (87 KB, 669x446)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>2677999
In the decades following the founding of DC, many neighborhoods began to sprout up, adhering to the established urban plan. Today, the avenues and circles defined by this plan comprise some of the city's most historic neighborhoods. You're already familiar with Dupont Circle, but tourists often miss its twin. Logan Circle is a vibrant neighborhood and forms the southwestern corner of the Shaw neighborhood. It also serves as the southern end of 14th Street NW. Starting your day with a breakfast sandwich from Call Your Mother while sitting on a bench in Logan Circle allows for quick access to food and shopping on 14th Street, or you can walk south on 13th Street to reach museums and Chinatown.

As Logan Circle cemented its identity in the late 19th century, the Capitol Hill neighborhood took shape. Many tourists visit the Capitol Building and promptly head back westward. This is a shame. Walking down East Capitol Street toward Lincoln Park offers a 1.25 km stroll along a beautiful residential street that terminates at Lincoln Park, a popular spot for locals to run, picnic, or walk their dogs. There is a nice café called Wine & Butter on the western edge of the park. From here, it's a quick walk down North Carolina Ave SE to reach the Eastern Market neighborhood and the adjacent Barracks Row neighborhood.

On weekends, Eastern Market boasts a fantastic outdoor farmers market with music, gifts, local food, ceramics, clothes, and various other items on 7th St SE. Here, you will also find numerous shops, including some of the city's best butchers. South of Pennsylvania Ave SE, on 8th Street SE, lies Barracks Row, named after the Marine Corps barracks at the end of the street. These barracks house the Marines who serve as the President's honor guard, as well as the commandant of the Marine Corps' residence. Barracks Row also features popular bars and restaurants, along with a well-known comedy club. I particularly like DCanter for its intriguing wine selection.
>>
File: waterfox_EwuKRYRJue.jpg (963 KB, 2499x918)
963 KB
963 KB JPG
>>2678002
Jumping to the 20th century and the other side of town, we find the sneakily excellent neighborhood of Mt. Pleasant. Traditionally, this was a Hispanic neighborhood until about 20 years ago when broader demographic changes began affecting the city. However, much of Mt. Pleasant’s Latin charm persists to this day. This neighborhood showcases the diversity of DC. While Capitol Hill and Logan Circle offer what you might typically expect of the city, Mt. Pleasant feels like a small American town nestled in a corner of the metropolis. Stepping off 16th Street and onto Mt. Pleasant Street NW, it feels like you could be in a small town anywhere in America.

The neighborhood itself has become more upscale in recent years, but the main street retains its unique charm with popular spots like La Tejana for breakfast tacos, Mount Desert Island Ice Cream for a sweet treat, and Purple Patch for excellent Filipino food.
>>
File: 09162023-Resized.jpg (6.61 MB, 2685x4774)
6.61 MB
6.61 MB JPG
>>2678005
That brings us to the 21st century and the forward-looking aspects of DC. What does the DC of the future look like, and how has it evolved in the past 10 years? To get a sense of this, head to the Southwest Waterfront (also called The Wharf) and Navy Yard. If you visited DC 30 years ago, these would have been places to avoid; The Wharf was home to fish shacks, strip clubs, and drug dealers, while Navy Yard housed a US Navy installation dating back to the Civil War, surrounded by a decaying neighborhood. Today, these two neighborhoods epitomize the bulk of recent developments in the city (there is also NoMa, though it is somewhat average).

The Wharf, which completed construction only a few years ago, has quickly become a hotspot for locals and tourists alike. It is one of the few places in the city where the two groups regularly mix. While the food here is generally overpriced, and the closure of Moon Rabbit due to a union dispute left a void, the scenery and vibrancy of a walk from the Fish Market to the Titanic Memorial makes it worth a visit. The bar Whiskey Charlie on the roof of the Hilton is also worth checking out. Another advantage of The Wharf is the water taxi service to Alexandria or Georgetown, providing a unique perspective on the city.
>>
File: DCMap.png (7.13 MB, 2557x1247)
7.13 MB
7.13 MB PNG
>>2678008
These neighborhoods are some, but certainly not all, of what DC has to offer. They are all generally safe and relatively easy to access on the metro or by bike. If you want to look at the houses of extraordinarily wealthy people I suggest renting a bike and going around the neighborhoods of Kalorama or Forest Hills. But, if you are feeling more adventurous or you have a particular love for Chinese or Vietnamese food, I highly suggest you get on the metro and go to the Eden Center in Falls Church, Virginia, or some of the Chinese restaurants in Rockville, Maryland. Check out this map: Blue is touristy, red and orange are no-go, green is where I discussed.

Part 2: Food

I've already mentioned food a few times, but I want to highlight this for you: DC, and the broader DMV region, has some of the best food in the entire country. We have everything from Michelin-starred, internationally renowned, upscale restaurants, to hole-in-the-wall I-can't-believe-no-one-told-me-about-this eateries. I strongly recommend that you come with a big appetite and a healthy budget for food. Reservations for the hottest spots are competitive, but not nearly as obnoxious as New York, and if you're dining for one or two it is pretty easy to get a table at the best spots in town. Here are some of my favorites in no particular order:

- Izakaya Seki
- Oyster Oyster
- Rasika
- The Red Hen
- Elizabeth's Gone Raw
- Moon Rabbit
- Menya Hosaki
- Anju
- Toki Underground
- Causa/Amazonia
- Unconventional Diner
- Zaytinya
- St. Anselm
- Purple Patch
- La Tejana
- Thip Khao
- Sichuan Jin River
- Bob's Shanghai
- Federalist Pig

And for places to get an excellent cocktail:

- All Souls Bar
- The Green Zone
- Jane Jane (you'll wait like an hour plus to get in, but it is the best bar in the city)
- Barcelona Wine Bar
- Service Bar
- Vue Rooftop (more for the view than the drinks)
- Round Robin Bar
- Whiskey Charlie
- Dacha Beer Garden (kind of a meme, but it is a good drink)
>>
File: GettyImages_901408150.jpg (481 KB, 1400x1050)
481 KB
481 KB JPG
>>2678009
Part 3: Getting Around

Washington, DC, boasts one of the best metro systems in the country, making it relatively easy to get wherever you need to go. Disregard any warnings you might hear about the metro being dangerous; there are far more carjackings on the streets than crimes on the metro. Use the metro liberally. I also recommend the buses. They might be a little more lively, but you can use the same card to pay for both the metro and buses, and they allow you to access neighborhoods far more quickly than relying solely on the train. Additionally, you can add your metro card to Apple Pay or Google Wallet and tap your phone rather than dealing with the physical card and machines to add money.

Keep in mind that downtown DC is only a few kilometers from east to west and north to south, making it easy to walk or bike around the city. One of the absolute best ways to see DC is by renting an e-bike. You can loop around the memorials, through The Wharf, along the Anacostia Riverwalk, and then up through Eastern Market and back to Northwest DC. This loop won’t take more than two hours and will provide you with glimpses of much of what the city has to offer. Capital Bikeshare is readily available across the city, as well as bikes from Lime and other brands.

Ubers and taxis in DC are generally priced similarly, so you don’t need to stress about the cost difference. If you're flying into Dulles International Airport (IAD), take the Silver Line metro rather than an Uber, as the Uber will cost around $70 and take just as long as the train. The water taxi is available; while it’s not super fast or cheap, it’s a great way to see the city from a different angle.
>>
File: _MG_4997-3.jpg (4.58 MB, 5472x2798)
4.58 MB
4.58 MB JPG
>>2678010
Part 4: Crime

DC is not markedly more dangerous than any other city in the US. Like any other city, there is crime, but it is largely isolated to non-violent theft and carjackings. The violent crime that does occur is generally between parties who knew each other before the crime and is focused east of the Anacostia River. Unlike in Europe, you don’t need to constantly check your pockets for little gypsy hands, nor do you need to assume that every person you see is a threat. DC is a diverse city, which is part of what makes it wonderful, but crime is often isolated to late-night occurrences or impoverished areas.

My tip when it comes to crime is the same as what everyone else will tell you: When it’s late at night, walk with purpose and avoid making yourself an easy target. If you rent a car, don’t sit in it while it’s idling, nor should you leave it running while you run into a store—people do this all the time in DC.

Like many cities in the United States, DC has a visible population of unhoused people. Since the city is a mix of federal and local land, the issue of encampments and squatters gets bounced back and forth between competing groups, while Congress refuses to enable the city to tackle the problem. You will see a good number of unhoused individuals while you are here. Just ignore them and move on. If someone seems violent, high, or suffering from withdrawal, keep your distance and walk away calmly. No one will judge or care.
>>
File: 25357672252_e9caa37dd5_o.jpg (745 KB, 5472x3648)
745 KB
745 KB JPG
>>2678011
And that just about covers it - there is so much to this city. I could talk about touring the city's architecture, I could talk about all of the best museums you wouldn't have heard of, I could talk about the city's LGBTQ+!WXYZ culture, or the myriad of fascinating things if you get some balls and head east of the Anacostia.

There is a ton to do, and it is pretty easy to see a lot of it quickly. Seeing the seat of American power is novel and very interesting in its own right, but DC as a city separate from that is something worth visiting and spending time in.

I'm happy to answer any questions, but this concludes my effortposting.
>>
>>2678009
Kino pic
>>
>>2678009
What are some good hole in the walls?
>>
>>2678009
>Didn't mention Le Dip
Maybe you're okay
>>
>>2678068
That would be the NIH campus in Rockville.

Also a decent number at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore and some of the other higher tier academic/research facilities in the region.
>>
>>2674073
The jewels in the National History Museum rival anything you'd see in England or anywhere else. I'm a rock buff, and it's my favorite thing to do in DC.
Udvar Hazy is the 2nd Air & Space, and it's a jog out there, but perfect if that's your airport coming and going. It's really if you're an aviation buff, though. It's fun to go up in the 2nd control tower and put on the headphones and look at the windows at the traffic live.
August will be quite hot during the day. Get to museums at opening time and avoid midday sun, and look at IMAX or something to do in the evenings.
One favorite in DC isnot free/private, which is the Spy Museum and everyone's full favorite.
The Shrine will more metro accessible than the National Cathedral.

As far as restaurants go, just calculate things close to your other activities. DC is one place you can literally dine any culture's cuisine in the world. If you want american steak go to the best. If you know you'll never get a chance to do vietnamese back home, seek that out. Peek at reviews in washingtonian and eater when picking. They do rankings on the regular. I like the mussels at Granville Moore in Dupont, but it might be easy for you to get those at home, you see. Airports feature the local famous places, which is nice.
>>
>>2678073
>Spy Museum
They've got a Bond exhibit going until next year.
>>
>>2677887
Man I dont care what they say. They're different museums showing the same thing. One is far superior to the other but the superior one is less visited.
>>
>>2678214
Lol no

They have distinct exhibits at each location, they are both space/air related, but they're not showing the same things.

Have you even been to the one in DC more than once? Have you been BEFORE they started the renovations?
>>
>>2678068
>slutty young professionals

Nowhere, sadly. DC is one of the most educated cities on the planet, with one of the most professional workforces. It is very hard to hook up here.

I'd actually say that is one of the downsides of DC: If you aren't black or gay, the nightlife can be really dull. Most women in this city will go out, stick around their friends all night, and then go home at 11:00 so that they can get up at 6:30 AM the next morning to go on a run and get ready for brunch. If you're looking for easy sex you'd be better off signing up for the Volo cult and giving it a couple weeks.
>>
>>2678050
The Dew Drop Inn is fun and not ever visited by tourists. Meats and Foods at 3rd and Florida is also pretty tasty. The deli counter at A. Litteri in NoMa is a popular local spot but they make fuckin great sandwiches at a good price. Manna Korean BBQ and Dosirak in Kingman Park is in a shitty neighborhood but they've got killer food. MLK Deli SE is a similar situation.

>>2678069
Le Dip is very overrated, I like the gougeres or getting a bottle of wine and people-watching, but the rest of it is mid. It's like Founding Farmers in that it is a place college students take their parents to when they visit. There's just way better food to be had in the city. I like La Piquette or Rosemary Bistro for more authentic French cooking.
>>
>>2678248
Skill issue, I used to fuck "empowered" leftist DC whores all the time when I lived in Silver Spring.
>>
>>2677999
OP here. Anon, thank you, this is very informative and interesting. I'm a poorfag and a lot of this stuff seems outside the budget for me, but I'll definitely see if I can take a stroll around Alexandria and Georgetown.
>>2678011
This seems like it could be applicable to most European capitals as well.
>>2678013
>I could talk about all of the best museums you wouldn't have heard of, I could talk about the city's LGBTQ+!WXYZ culture, or the myriad of fascinating things if you get some balls and head east of the Anacostia.
Care to elaborate on these points? The Smithsonian museums seem very attractive, but I'm wondering if instead I should go for some of the smaller lesser known ones since I have so little time. I usually don't have a great experience visiting big european museums (Uffizi, Louvre, the Museum Island in Berlin etc) unless I can go there multiple days. I also wouldn't mind knowing a little about the LGBT stuff and the hic sunt leones lands east of the river
>>
>>2678322
Smithsonian musuems are free, many of the others in the area aren't.

So Smithsonian is my choice if you're looking to maximize your value. They're some of the best museums the US has.
>>
>>2678011
Hard Disagree. I used to go skateboarding in DC at night for many years. There are a lot or crazy, dangerous people in DC, including the cops. The only part of the city that felt safe was Georgetown.
>>
File: glenstone-10361.jpg (888 KB, 2000x1333)
888 KB
888 KB JPG
>>2678322
I'm happy to help. Exploring the neighborhoods is absolutely free and well worth it. I really can't understate how nice renting an e-bike and touring the city is, it's a truly wonderful way to see the place.

Regarding the museums: As everyone has said, the Smithsonian and National Gallery of Art are truly world-class museums. I'm not sure it would be right for me to say that you should skip the NGA for somewhere else, but if you are someone who takes your time then these museums will be major time commitments.

Beyond the Mall, there are many great ones that are worth a visit:
>National Portrait Gallery
Free and easily accessible, it has much more than just portraits.
>Renwick Gallery
Right next to the White House and can be seen in less than an hour - it focuses on contemporary art.
>The Phillips Collection
A block away from the Dupont Metro station. It is $18 or so to get in, but it is a very well-established museum showing a lot of impressionist, post-impressionist, and modern art.
>Hillwood Estate and Gardens
The former mansion of Marjorie Post, the estate has a diverse collection of 18th-century Russian and French art, including many Faberge eggs. The gardens are also quite spectacular. But it is slightly inconvenient to get to. It should be about $18 for admission.
>Rubell Museum
The new kid on the block - admission is $15 and it primarily displays contemporary art from the Rubell family's personal collection.
>The Glenstone
Free museum, tickets must be booked well in advance, but it is very far from downtown DC. I mention it because I think it is one of the best art museums in the world - it is as much an experience as a museum. It is fucking cool. >pic related

For the LGBT stuff, DC is one of the three most LGBT-friendly cities in the country. Almost 10% of the population here identifies as LGBT, and as such there are many gay and lesbian clubs and bars. U Street and 14th Street NW are where most of them can be found.
>>
>>2678240
>They have distinct exhibits
Yeah but DC is semi interesting.
Dulles is amazing.
Theres no reason for the average person to go to DC except for convenience.
>>
File: 1689492731332107.jpg (82 KB, 639x607)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
I just took and job and am living in Arlington, it's not fair bros there literally zero good places for food
>>
>>2678376
At the moment where it's partially closed for renovations, i can see that. Once it reopens though i'd argue otherwise, it has a planetarium and an IMAX theater that is currently closed for the renovation (they're upgrading to the newer/better IMAX laser standards).

Dulles has the IMAX theater but no planetarium.

They're both worth visiting if you can, I wouldn't avoid one simply because I've been to the other.
>>
>>2678377
>Arlington
go into the city then, metro exists for a reason.
>>
>>2678384
Im not staying near a stop. To far to walk
>>
>>2678388
well i guess you're saving on rent costs.
>>
>>2678389
DC metro just isn't that good
>>
>>2678390
It's literally generally listed as one of the best in the united states.

NYC, Chicago, DC, Boston (not in any particular order) are generally considered the best in the US.
>>
>>2678377
What are you retarded? The Ballston Rosslyn corridor has some of the best food around.
>>2678389
Why would you live in Arlington and not live near a metro stop?
>>
>>2678390
Nah it’s good, gtfo. Grew up there
>>
>>2678352
Thank you very much.
>The Glenstone
That does indeed look fucking cool. Right now I think I'll visit the American Art Museum+Renwick Gallery, and I'll if I can do NGA as well. The reason why I'm so unsure about the NGA is that while it is undoubtedly great, I like taking my time when visiting such places, and also it strikes me as comparable to museums like Uffizi, Louvre etc which I've already seen; I'd like to see something more "uniquely american", if that makes sense (especially since I've never been to the US and I have no idea when and if I'll get the chance to come back). I'm also eyeing the Peacock Room in the Asian Art Museum.
Do you think Dumbarton Oaks is worth visiting while strolling around Georgetown?
>>
>>2678660
Dumbarton is nothing special. Just walk around M Street, Wisconsin, and the Georgetown University campus. If you want to be a real tourist you can take a picture on the Exorcist steps.
>>
>>2678660
>I'd like to see something more "uniquely american", if that makes sense
American Indian Museum in DC is pretty uniquely American.
>>
bump
>>
>>2676827
Old town Alexandria is a bit harder to get to because it's about 20-30 minutes walking
>>
Where do all the hipsters live in the DC metro area?
>>
>>2678296
How’d you like silver spring? Never see it mentioned since most people on the younger side live in southwest dc/arlington, unless you work at the nih or somewhere else in maryland
>>
>>2682876
NTA, but i lived in SS from ~8-14 years old, then Olney from 14-24, and Gburg from 24-31 where I am still now.

I don't go down into silver spring a ton these days unless I'm going to eat at Cubanos, though I think their Silver Spring location is closed at the moment anyway, so i'd head to Bethesda. But overall, Silver Spring is decent, some low cost of living areas which aren't great, but it's still relatively upscale compared to the likes of PG county. If you're raising kids it's hard to beat the public schools in the area too.
>>
>>2680956
You can just go to the King's Street station and then walk to the water.
>>2682872
Logan/Shaw
>>2682876
SS has good ethnic food but otherwise it's just a poorer Bethesda.
>>
>>2678433
> Ballston Rosslyn corridor has some of the best food around
dont be poor and be good at playing food minesweeper in a sea of premium mediocre

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.