[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: BRZ.png (4 KB, 268x188)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
>>
>>2676474
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Brazil
>>
File: mqdefault (2).jpg (12 KB, 320x180)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>2676474
>>
why does nobody talk about brazil here?
>>
File: 1690493291717409.png (1.07 MB, 1750x1167)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB PNG
>>
>>2680485
Brazil has some severe disadvantages when it comes to tourism. I am Brazilian so I'll do my best to lay them out clearly as I've travelled abroad and in the country and talked to foreigners about visiting Brazil and elsewhere.
1 - Violence
Brazil is infamous for its crime. While it is mostly overblown (you're not getting murdered in broad daylight unless you walk straight into a favela) it is nevertheless very dangerous compared to most first world countries. You have to stick to touristy places and even then avoid some of the most famous spots (Rio, São Paulo, etc)
2 - Shit infrastructure
As one of the most corrupt governments in the world, Brazil has failed spetacularly at creating any sort of functional transport infrastructure for its citizens, nevermind for tourism. You either gotta choose a city to stay at and barely leave it, or else fly everywhere at exorbitant rates and with long flights (the country is huge). Even if you stay at just one place you should really rent a car to make good use of time. Forget about hitching rides or backpacking because of point 1.
3 - Language trouble
Most Brazilians are poor and uneducated. Getting by with English is extremely hard unless you never leave the biggest cities (and you should avoid the cities, because of point 1). Portuguese is rarely the first non-native language someone would learn, and it's very difficult as well, with a much smaller world population that speaks it than, for example, Spanish or French.
1/?
>>
>>2681646
Fair points. Here are some reasons I'm considering moving to Brazil.
1. Spirituality. Ayahuasca, psilocybin mushrooms and the communities loosely connected to them. I'm getting increasingly interested in discovering the nature of reality and God and I love yhe deeply earthy Spiritual current that runs throughout Brazil.
2. Nature and cheap land. I can buy several hectares and have dogs and farm animals and my own waterfall. I know two foreigners in Brazil who have this.
3. Gun rights. Thanks to Bolsonaro for liberalizing gun rights and the ability to buy foreign manufactured firearms. So I can protect the land I bought.
I was with my girlfriend when I traveled Brazil so I'm not so sure about wifing a Brazilian. I don't feel so comfortable with it desu. Don't seem so trad or monogamous. So that's a downside.
>>
>>2681646
>>2680485
4 - Not exotic enough
People travel to experience different things and get away from their own culture. Most travellers are plenty familiar with similar enough cultures to Brazil, and the ones that aren't have better options to see many of the things you would see here. If you're American you can to Japan and see a bunch of ancient Shrines and people bowing and avoiding eye contact, or... you go to Brazil, see Catholic churches, and people shake your hand, and talk loudly. Not very interesting for a burger. And if you're Indian or Chinese? Why not just go to Europe, or the US? Brazil is too western for its own good, so it doesn't stand out.
5 - Not as cheap as other "3rd world countries"
Considering the previous points a lot of the people that would still be interested (particularly in a website like this) are coomers, degenerates, or adventurous people. But if you're any of those three, after a bit of planning you'll discover Brazil is way more expensive than other "shitholes". That is because Brazil actually has good, luxurious shit to acommodate rich people. Mostly he corrupt assholes that rule the nation and old richfolk. And these are LOADED. I've long mantained the view that the best place to live in BY FAR if you have unlimited money is Brazil, and I have never seen anywhere that remotely compares in all my travels. So if you want to experience the good shit here, you'll have to open your pockets.
6 - It's far
I constantly experience this when going to other countries, but in case you never looked at a map, South America is really isolated. The only nearby continent is "maybe" Africa, and there aren't many rich tourists living there. The U.S. is sorta close, but at that point they can reach Europe for similar travel times, or they can just go to their backyard shithole in Mexico or further down Central America. It's stupid far from Asian countries in particular.
Okay, so why go to Brazil at all? I can briefly try to sell you on it.
2/?
>>
>>2680485
>>2681646
>>2681648

Why go to Brazil?
1 - Amazing weather
This cannot be overstated. Brazil has retardedly good weather. While the summer is nearly unberable in many places, air conditioning is ubiquitous. Most places you want to be in summer you actually enjoy the heat too: beaches, pools, etc. The rest of the year is comfy, and if you really can't handle the heat you can just live in a colder location, such as he countryside or down the southern states.
2 - The beaches
One of two things there simply isn't another place that compares, in my opinion. The Brazilian coast has a wide swath of types of beaches, with coral reefs or empty, waves or calm, forested or plain, urbanized or deserted, warm waters or cold. It's just insane how good we have it.
3 - The food
This is the second thing I don't believe anyone does better. The only country where I found as many varieties of native food for cheap that were good is Japan, but they lack affordable beef and their fruit is too gourmet. Brazil has an abundance of both meat and fruit, and there are many local delicacies that you can't find anywhere else.
4 - The women
Contrary to popular belief, we aren't just a bunch of blacks. Brazil has many mixed people and many purebreds of any ethnicity on Earth. You can absolutely find a stunning blondie with blue eyes, juat as well as a yamato nadeshiko. Difference is they will be warm and fun, unlike germans or japanese. Obviously we also have stunning pardas with big asses in thongs walking around beaches the whole year.
5 - The people
There are plenty of issues with our culture, but on an individual level Brazilians are excellent people to become friends with (or date). We are easygoing, talkative, like the same things as most westerners (the same movies, books, music) and share most of the same values.
Anyway, I don't blame anyone for not coming here, but it's unfortunate the things they miss out on because of it.
3/3
>>
>>2681647
Ayahuasca is a pretty unique experience from what I hear. I've never used it myself, but have been with a few girls that wouldn't shut up about it. There many traditional communities near most big cities and several rural areas that make ritual use of it monthly or so. You can go more traditional or just join a binch of university alternative types and enjoy it it very easily.
It's true that you can have a very nice farmstead or just a countryside living space that is very wonderful and very safe, but I suggest you look for somewhere far enough from city centers that you won't be at risk, even if you plan to be armed. I live in the countryside myself, and would only relocate if I made enough money to consider myself rich, at which point I would go for a nice beachfront house in a closed condominum.
Gun rights are a toss up. While Bolsonaro eased many restrictions, the current government is against ir ans it's hard to say what'll happen in the future. If this is important to you I'd wait for 2 years or so when we have our presidential elections again. If a center or rightwing president is elected (which is looking increasingly likely) then gun rights should be safe.
As for wifing up here, it's very possible to find a more tradwife kind of girl, and being foreigner is a good bonus to get into it with them. To find a trustful one I'd recommend looking for churchgoers. From catholics to baptists, Brazil has a lot of faithful that go against what you'd expect from the fame we have from samba, carnaval, and free love.
>>
>>2681646
If I wanted to hang out in, say, Sao Paulo for a little bit and then take a trip down to, say, Florianapolis, would I have to fly or is there a reliable bus or train system to take down to the southern Brazil coastline/cities?
>>
>>2681677
Yes, there are buses. No reliable trains. But it's a 10 hour trip if you go by road, and Brazilian roads are pretty awful, so it might be an uncomfortable trip at times.
As I said, the country is huge. If you want to do that kind of distance I highly recommend flying.
>>
>>2681651
>This is the second thing I don't believe anyone does better.
Nigga, your food is literally asado (steaks are shit all over LatAm and there's a reason everyone wants Japanese anyway) and stews.
>>
File: 1522050_1_1694193747.png (5.83 MB, 1600x1271)
5.83 MB
5.83 MB PNG
>>2681702
Spoken as a guy that never ate proper Brazilian food. That's okay, I forgive you.
Brazilian steak is indeed pretty much the only food we "export" as such. So if you go on an "Brazilian restaurant" in London or whatever the fuck, then I suppose that's what you'll eat. But my country has a lot more to offer from very unique types of street food, drinks, sweets, seafood, baked goods, etc. There is a lot of pride among some Brazilian states that love to discuss who has the best food. If you haven't had Moqueca, Pão de Queijo, Cocada, Brigadeiro, Feijoada, Acarajé, Bobó de Camarão, Coxinha de Catupiry, Açaí, Bolo de Rolo, Biscoito de Polvilho... then you haven't even scratched the surface of our food pool.
I don't even like some of those, but it's impossible to eat badly in Brazil if you care the bare minimum. I'm sorry you had some shit steak and some cold stew somewhere, but that's not even a tiny bit of our food culture. It's like thinking Japan is just sushi.
>>
If I go to Brazil for carnival will I get murdered/ a flesh eating venereal disease?
>>
>>2681677
>If I wanted to hang out in, say, Sao Paulo for a little bit and then take a trip down to, say, Florianapolis, would I have to fly or is there a reliable bus or train system to take down to the southern Brazil coastline/cities?
If I was doing that route I'd plan to stop in Curitiba for a few days on the way to break up the trip, the highways through there were fine and Brazil has the best busses out of anywhere I've been (Europe/Asia/Latam), the country's just fucking huge so it takes a while to get places if you don't want to fly. There's a few scenic trains in random places, one of which goes from Curitiba through the mountains and forest around there, but no major intercity routes.
>>
Getting way off the beaten path in Brazil has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. Go to places where there's a 99% chance you are the first foreigner to ever go there. It's super chill and tons of people with cool stories. Don't be lazy, learn some of the language, and take some risks. The country is not just a huge violent place, the small towns are wonderful, with people who will go out of their way to help you. Pro tip: go to Minas Gerais.
>>
>>2681837
What are you doing in these small towns though? I've had this idea before and try to imagine what I'd be doing there, and i have no idea other than
>meet random person on street
>they invite you to their house
>make churrasco or whatever
>hang out and drink beer
>say bye and leave
I've done this before in random places, and it's fun for a while, but doing this day after day sounds like it'd get boring. What do you do to fill the time, hike around? Hitchhike?
Sounds like a great way to learn a lot of Portuguese, though
>>2681647
I'm moving to Brazil soon and didn't know about any of this, except Ayahuasca and Brazilian espiritismo in general. Where are you looking at for cheap land? In what state do those foreigners live?
>>
>>2682123
You have a point in that that is one of the main things you'll do in a small town, and I for one enjoy the raw human connection that comes from these encounters. However, some other things I've been able to do from small town excursions:
>be taken on a hike to the source of a river, drank the freshest water of my life straight out of a bubbling natural spring.
>Go off roading in janky cars you'd never imagine could offroad and ending up at a chill party on an isolated beach.
>Stopping at small artisanal crafts shops along the roadside. Lots of homemade snacks and fresh fruit is also available in small roadside stops.
>Staying at "pousadas", the best are these type of farm-stay bed and breakfasts. One place had all meals included with 90% of the ingredients coming from the farm.
>Getting invited to a gathering of this Afro-Brazilian folk religion, what a trip that was. The leader was apparently temporarily possessed by the 300 year old spirit of a slave and everyone was chanting and he started giving lots of "ancient" wisdom.
>Not a thing in the very smallest towns, but lots of places have a small type of historical museum. It's not everyone's cup of tea but I think it's incredible seeing how many stories are packed into these places.

This is all to say nothing of the countless awesome live music I've heard, playing pool at random tiny bars with strangers, and visits to parks. For me, I also have accepted that travel is not always going to be 100% high energy, and I've learned to enjoy the quiet moments and even places with truly nothing unique.
>moving to Brazil soon
Have fun anon. Have lots of patience. Be smart and safe, but also realize that contrary to popular belief, the vast majority of Brazilians are just trying to live a normal life, and are happy to help foreigners.
>>
>>2681651
thanks brazilbro for the quality posts
>>
>>2681647
Wow.
I would love to buy my own land with waterfall & animals.
How much would I spend? Could I own it as a foreigner? Do you have some link, or where shall I go / who should I ask
>>
>>2682610
>How much would I spend?
I know a Russian guy who bought about 5 hectares for $100k but you could get much cheaper
>Could I own it as a foreigner?
Yes. But the best approach is to father a child in Brazil, giving you full citizenship regardless of your or the mother's citizenship
>Do you have some link, or where shall I go / who should I ask
Nope. Google shit
>>
>>2682123
>Where are you looking at for cheap land? In what state do those foreigners live?
My experience is within Goiás. A place with many spiritual communities and lots of groups doing ayahuasca and other psychedelics
>>
>>2682621
Great intel, thanks.
Say I go there, what would be some good ways to connect with the locals and the spiritual crowd?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.