[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (1.75 MB, 1280x720)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB PNG
I'm going to be in Louisville at the end of the month for a weekend. The only thing I have planned so far is a tour of the Waverly Hills haunted sanitarium. What are some fun things to do in the city otherwise?
I'm 31 single and white if that matters
>>
I go a couple times a year to Louisville to visit family. There's a really good brewery scene. Atrium, Against the Grain, Holy Grail, Mile Wide, Ten20. They're all great. Don't go to fourth street live. It's where all the blacks go.

If the weather is good and you have access to a bike, go ride the Parkslands of Floyds Fork bike trail. The Big Four bridge downtown is cool to walk or bike across, but do it during the day. The nogs come out at night. 21C is an awesome free art museum 2 miles from the Big Four Bridge. Cherokee Park is a nice city park. Bardstown Road has a lot of good food and some cool bars. There are also some hipster bars on E Market Street.

For food, you have to do Mark's Feed Store at least once. Bootlegger BBQ is really good too.

If you have a car, drive an hour up to Madison Indiana. It's a really cool historic small town on the river. It looks like the town from Back to the Future. There's a great waterfall there called Clifty Falls.
>>
File: file.png (536 KB, 1129x735)
536 KB
536 KB PNG
>>2683241

Thanks for the tips, I will be driving down Friday afternoon and staying until sunday evening.
Right now the ghost tour is saturday afternoon, but I also have the option of doing a nighttime ghost tour either friday night or saturday night.

Bars sounds good, im a bourbon fan so I'd like to try some of the local blends. Im also a photographer so any places that might have good views of the city too let me know. I looked at a few pics of Madison and its a nice pretty architecture town, I will make time for it on my trip.

Speaking of blacks, pic related in my option for lodging, are any one of these places better than others?
>>
kentucky bumpin
>>
>>2683274
The big four bridge has an awesome view of the city. You can walk across and look back at Louisville and take shots of the skyline.

For hotels, don's stay anywhere west of I65. If you stay downtown, the Galt House and 21C are nice. Or you can stay cheap out on the edge in the Northeast over by Drury Inn & Suites Louisville North. That area is white and safe and still close to the city.

If you want to hot some local hipster bars, Nachbar, The Pearl and Mag Bar are always fun. That street is Germantown i s cool for barhopping.
>>
>>2683970
Ok dont stay west of i-65 got it.

I always get a little shy going to bars alone in a city i dont know. I feel very out of place
>>
I think it’s a really underrated and cool city that has way more character than higher profile cities like Nashville or Cincinnati without straying into outright shithole status like Memphis. Others may not agree.

It is nauseatingly and virulently leftist. I have a talent for getting past that, but if you don’t share that ability I would think twice.

It’s a real city.
>>
>>2685184
That's an accurate description. It's funny, because 5 miles outside the city, it's a different world. Most towns in Kentucky are all-white and very republican. The blacks in Louisville are extremely segregated to the west end of the city. Want to guess where 90 percent of the violent crime happens?

>>2684976
You can definitely hit the breweries and bars in Louisville and meet people. It has a southern feel and people are friendly.
>>
>>2685184
>leftist
after whats been happening in politics the last few days i hope it cools down by the 27th when ill be there.
I feel like most red states are like that - major cities are democrat, rural is republican

I'll stay away from the left end of the city, but I do have a midnight ghost tour at Waverly Hills and then a daytime history tour the next day.

I like friendly people, and i like drinking, but since I'll be traveling by car I cant have too much fun
>>
High horse is a great bar in downtown. Churchill downs is a good time as well, I recommend splurging to sit upstairs in the boxes
>>
>>2687593
>High horse
Is a dumpy dive bar next to the ghetto. Avoid. The good dive bars are in Germantown.
>>
any good local spirits i should look out for?
since im driving ill be able to bring back any bottle i want
>>
>>2687681
You could pick up some local Bourbon that doesn't have national distribution. Nulu by Prohibition Craft Spirits is really good and they make a lot crazy experimental bourbons that you'll never be able to get outside of Louisville. Get a bottle of their Gin too if they have any.
>>
>>2687681
You seriously MUST go to Starlight Distillery just north into Indiana. They are a massive farm that makes crazy expiremental stuff like wines out of their strawberries, then brandy out of the wine, then puts whiskey in that strawberry brandy barrel. The tasting is less than $20 and comes with 12 half shots of whiskey so you'll have plenty of time to explore the massive property and farmers market they have there while you sober up. Try the pecan pie as well.

As for other food, Shack in the Back BBQ does some incredible turkey ribs with white lightning sauce. The rest of their BBQ is terrible though.
>>
2 more days bros thanks for all the good recommendations

I’m going to be doing a lot of drinking I guess
>>
>>2689468
If you're willing to drive you can go 1 1/2 - 2 hours east and hit up the Kentucky Horse Park + Red River Gorge (which is very cool).
>>
>>2689468
Let us know how it went, I like hearing updates on if people enjoy my reccomendations so I know if something slipped in quality since I last went.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.