[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Long story short I am keen on heading to a ski resort for a working holiday type deal - at least 12 months. As an Australian, Banff instantly came to mind as a stereotypical location for this. While this has been talked about to death I do have some specific questions I can't seem to find the answer to.

1) What do the local people think of Aussies in particular? Apparently close to half of the backpacker staff there are Australian.

2) Assuming I get on site accommodation, how many days a week will I be expected to work?

3) I see job listings and people claim you can do "anything and everything there - they are always looking for staff" yet I found nothing that would align with my IT background. Would this be a possible avenue of work or is it all hospo & snow tourism work?

4) How has Covid affected this? Most advice & forums I see are from pre 2019.

Would also be interested in hearing from people who have done this and turned out to just not enjoy it all that much, or any recommendations for other ski/snow resorts.

Cheers.
>>
>>2685802
Aussie women are such slits abroad
>>
>>2685802
Most employees in town are from somewhere in the commonwealth, nobody will care that you're a aussie

If you work at the resort, they'll make you work 6 days a week, mostly during the day so you can't ski as much as you think you will. However housing is hard to come by, this is probably the easiest way to get a rental.

The best jobs are at resturaunts that are only open for dinner, you can ski during the day and they close up by 10 pm, you'll be able to go to bed early enough to ride all day.

I dunno how it is now, but when I visited in 2021 it was pretty empty, I think canadians were still scared of the Wu Flu. If it's like anywhere else it's full of remote workers driving up rental/mortgage costs.
>>
>>2685802
going to banff is about as dumb as going to whistler if you have to work for money, it's for millionaires who fly into calgary, poorfags suffer and get crammed accommodation

>yet I found nothing that would align with my IT background
those jobs don't go to whv holders, why would a ski hill need to bring in a guy for one year to do that?
if you can do IT stuff, get a remote work job and then just go to any of the smaller towns, if you have IT experience you're also going to be a bit of an oldfag

where you can go varies a lot on whether you drive or not, some hills are further out of town than others, some have better shuttle services
I'd recommend going to a place that was an actual town with an industry before the ski hill came, they have more housing
you would probably be better off getting a regular job and accommodation in town if you were willing to do a full 12 months instead of being the company's slave
>>
>>2685802
>1) What do the local people think of Aussies in particular? Apparently close to half of the backpacker staff there are Australian.
I'm Aussie in Canada and no one cares.
>2) Assuming I get on site accommodation, how many days a week will I be expected to work?
No idea on the work, but if you want to stay on site you better start planning early. Most people I've known that have done whistler got in early or they ended up living out of town and having to bus everyday.
>3) I see job listings and people claim you can do "anything and everything there - they are always looking for staff" yet I found nothing that would align with my IT background. Would this be a possible avenue of work or is it all hospo & snow tourism work?
IT jobs or anything career orientated will be taken by locals. It's the shitty service jobs are for foreigners.
>4) How has Covid affected this? Most advice & forums I see are from pre 2019.
It's pretty much back to how it was in 2019 now. Maybe a little less busy because businesses are struggling more.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.