[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: bros.png (2.09 MB, 1620x1080)
2.09 MB
2.09 MB PNG
Want to stay in Buenos Aires or Bangkok for an extended period of time, my main objective is simply to make loads of friends and enjoy myself - which city is it easier for an outsider to make friends with people in their early 20s and assimilate into their social circles?
Basically trying to replicate college social life as much as I can, my plan is to spend the majority of my time skating, at underground rock/indie/punk shows, hanging out with bros and dating cute weirdo girls
Both cities have tons of cool shit that interests me. Spanish is obviously gonna be way easier to learn than Thai but I've also heard rumours about Argies being standoffish and aloof. Saw loads of early 20s people in event pics from BsAs while BKK looked like it skewed older, could be wrong on that though
Welcoming input from people that have lived in both places
>>
File: 765.png (250 KB, 797x733)
250 KB
250 KB PNG
>>2694558
>Basically trying to replicate college social life as much as I can, my plan is to spend the majority of my time skating, at underground rock/indie/punk shows, hanging out with bros and dating cute weirdo girls
>>
>>2694563
laugh all you want, I'm doing this anyway
now answer my question bro
>>
>>2694558
Depends which languages you know.

I would say Buenos Aires, mainly because Thailand has generational levels of practice turning the wallets of lonely/autistic men inside out. (I am assuming this is you)
If you are confident in yourself then by all means go Thailand.
>>
>>2694583
>Depends which languages you know.
Neither but I could probably become vaguely conversational in Spanish within 2-3 months, Thai looks *hard* so realistically I'd be limited to international students and hoping that any Thais that caught my eye could communicate in English
>Thailand has generational levels of practice turning the wallets of lonely/autistic men inside out. (I am assuming this is you)
it was to an extent but I can make friends back home now so I'm not desperate like I used to be. Bangkok is mainly on my radar due to cheap/good prices and because I like the aesthetic of the city
Have you been to both?
>>
>>2694558
Are you trying to make friends with locals or other tourists/expats? BKK has no shortage of chads ready to gangmog you I will tell you that much lol. Definitely a good amount of young blood there from all the normies watching instagram reels about it.
>>
>>2694608
mainly locals but I'll be friends with anyone if they're chill
also give me your best gangmog stories sounds funny
>>
>>2694558
two based men
>>
>>2694594
Bueno Aires has a super friendly punk scene, they love to practice English and are not at all interested in getting money from you, unlike in Thailand where you're just a walking wallet
>>
>>2695693
Too bad Juan and Pedro are interested in mugging you when you come to buenos aires
>>
>>2694583
Latinos, especially porteƱos, instead have generational experience in cheating, lying, pushing boundaries and scamming the gringo
>>2695693
Pls, everyone in Buenos Aires assumes white foreigners are loaded. That puts a target on your back.

I'd rather go to Thailand and at least have my money taken away with my permission by cute girls of all genders and not have to worry about any crime instead of Buenos Aires. Buenos Aires is a shithole, don't waste your time on it. There's nothing to do, nothing to see and definitely no punk scene, unless you think that 2 or 3 clubs in a city of 15 million people constitutes a scene.
>>
>>2694558
I have actually thought about this a lot.

Definitely Bangkok. If you bother to learn the language than you might as well sign up for the language school that grants you a one year visa in the country then you can go to landlords and get a sick apartment (much nicer and more modern than anything in ba) for like 800-900 usd (where as an inferior unit may be 150 less in desirable areas of ba). But who cares about actually learning thai -- you'll find plenty of thai women who speak enough english and whenever you meet other white people in asia it is just a given that you communicate in english no matter what you are.

I met a hot Argentinean girl in Bali who came with me to Japan and naturally she was expected to speak English the whole time, if I met her in Argentina it would be completely reverse and that's just lame.

BKK is safer, more modern, imo has more interesting stuff in it's region. The most visited city in the world last year endless people to meet.
>>
>>2696024
only good reply in this thread, thanks anon
yeah I would want to learn the language of wherever I'd be going so I could make local friends
You've been to both right? Because I've been weighing up the pros and cons and right now I feel it'd probably be easier for me to make local friends my age in BsAs given my circumstances, not that it wouldn't happen in BKK I'm just slow in the brain when it comes to language learning
although with Bangkok you also have all those international students who speak English and are super chill so I could make friends with them
>>
>be me
>randomly visit /trv/ which I never do
>shockingly, there's a thread on the exact 2 places I'm considering traveling to as a first time traveler
>win.jpg!!!
>but no, instead the thread is an absolute derailment of shitposts because we cant have nice things
no fucking wonder I never come here. You assholes are fucking useless
>>
>>2697831
well anon be the change you want to see in this world
visit Buenos Aires and then enter threads like an oldfag with photos and calm sophisticated essays of your experiences
>>
>>2694558
blue dollar is gone so bangkok wins
>>
>>2697831
OP here, this is my thoughts exactly
How's your planning going?
>>
>>2697845
based
>>
bump
>>
>>2696024
Not OP but I'm having sort of the same question. Lived in Spain until recently and I'm thinking of Buenos Aires sometime in the future. I don't look super gringo though, but after Spain I got some Spanish fatigue desu. Met a woman recently in Berlin by chance who was an Argie and she didn't bother to learn German even after having stayed in Berlin for 10 years.
>>
>>2694558
Give BA a try, BKK is mostly a sexpat destination.

Also, your photo on the right would get you a free extended stay in the Bangkok Hilton.
>>
>>2694608
Shut up jeet. Where are these so-called chads in bangkok? You don't even see foreigners outside of the nana area.
>>
>>2702176
Bangkok is not a sexpat destination. It's confined to a small area. That just happens to be where 90% of foreigners and 100% of jeets stay. Thonglor and Ekkamai have zero jeets and maybe 1-2 foreigners here and there.
>>
>>2694558
>Basically trying to replicate college social life as much as I can, my plan is to spend the majority of my time skating, at underground rock/indie/punk shows, hanging out with bros and dating cute weirdo girls
>I've also heard rumours about Argies being standoffish and aloof
You should also consider Cordoba in Argentina if you don't mind a smaller city, it definitely feels a bit more like a college town because of the higher percentage of students and people are more open and easy going compared to BsAs since it's not a massive city with as much stress from crime and shit
>>
>>2702176
I don't buy it, I reckon the language barrier would prevent me from connecting deeply with locals but I found plenty of things to do in BKK, just normal people doing their thing like anywhere else in the world
>Also, your photo on the right would get you a free extended stay in the Bangkok Hilton.
yeah I know kek
>>2702203
Thanks for the rec anon, I've also heard about La Plata too
>>
OP here, also potentially open to swapping out for CDMX (shitloads to do, NYC/Tokyo tier in terms of scale) or Kuala Lumpur (locals are fluent in English so no language barrier)
>>
>>2702283
I have spent a few weeks in CDMX. there is alot to do, very fun party scene. However, I would take BA over CDMX because the humans are much better looking imo. However If you home based out of CDMX you could head to many other cool places in Mexico. I spent time in Acapulco, Puerto Excondido, all the way over to Chiapas and Oaxaca. I would still go to BA, but maybe because I have already been to Mexico. Spanish is easy to learn, you can meet friends at a Spanish school.
>>
>>2702283
You aren't gonna be doing any good partying in Malaysia, it might as well be a dry country. Go to one of the thai islands if you want to party as a college bro. You could also go to bali, phu quoc, jakarta, koh samui, etc all are big party places.
>>
>>2702180
>Thonglor and Ekkamai have zero jeets and maybe 1-2 foreigners
Those are literally the next two stops on the skytrain, we're talking walking distance for anyone who isn't, umm, well fuck. nvm
>>
>>2702321
>I would take BA over CDMX because the humans are much better looking imo
Also, much less brown noise in BA, depending on where you're staying
>>
>>2696971
I've been to Bangkok twice and have spent seven months total in SEA. I have not been to Argentina but I planned a whole month in BA in which I later cancelled because of a passing. I was really obsessed with it but I was only interested in BA really. Anyways, after going to Asia it's a no brainer. The hot European girls you dream about hooking up with in Europe are easier to get in Asia than their respective countries and that's just facts. I mean there's a fair amount of hot girls from north and south america there too. I'm not even into Asian women personally. It's roughly as cheap. It's safer and it's great you want to learn Thai but the locals who want to befriend you will likely have English knowledge but learning the language is good for the visa (there's a muy thai visa too but that's so not my style). Not knowing Spanish and their kind of Spanish is going hurt your experience more so.

Also, BKK you can go to Phuket, Koh Samui, Koh Phangnan and Koh Tao. Argentina doesn't actually have nice beaches. Furthermore on flights where can you fly cheap from BA? Other South American countries? BKK ==> the rest of SEA or East Asia, India, Turkey etc.
>>
>>2699980
I think Asia is better for you however there aren't that many Iberian women abroad in Asia tons of Western Europeans but few Spaniards and Portuguese.
>>
File: 1709004842776.webm (3.26 MB, 576x1024)
3.26 MB
3.26 MB WEBM
>>2694558
I vote for Argentina
>>
>>2703019
I think that's a guy...
>>
>>2702728
Yes, and? Foreigners are too lazy to travel those two stops.
>>
>>2703019
how does a country become like this
>>
>>2703058
>how does a country become like this
80 years of cultural rot
>>
Yo guys where to live in BKK? Sathon? Ekkamai? I wanna bang ladyboys

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.