[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Expect some downtime in the next few minutes for upgrades!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1623590626664.jpg (625 KB, 768x1024)
625 KB
625 KB JPG
If you had to choose between
>work hard in your 20's
>travel a lot in your 30's and 40's
and
>travel a lot in your 20's
>work hard in your 30's and 40's
Which one would you choose and why?
>>
>>2698709
Currently in this predicament. I say to do trips in your 20s for sure while living at home and saving money
>>
File: 1714301714451349.jpg (325 KB, 1000x1400)
325 KB
325 KB JPG
>>2698709
I've opted for:
>travel a lot in my 20s
>continue to travel a lot in my 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s.
>Take it easy in my 70s with smaller trips, domestic travel and cruises.
>reminisce about my travels in my 80s and then die.
>>
>20's work and save
>30's travel
I was more capable, experienced, and confident traveling in my 30s then I was in my 20s. I never would have had the balls to drive around iceland in my twenties, but then again during my twenties we weren't connected to tech to the degree we are today and being spoon-fed everything we need to know to travel optimally.

This is how it played out for me. I can't say one is better than the other. I would say this is a false dichotomy and not to look at life like this. Take opportunities to travel (optimally) when they present themselves. Timing is everything.
>>
>travel a lot in your 20s
>kill yourself in your 30s
Best way
>>
>>2698709
The second one. I got my best years in already and I'm still trying to scratch that itch until I hit 30. I love being on a journey to nowhere with no real purpose. When I'm older I'll be okay with sticking to a simple routine and more consistent relationships.
>>
>>2698751
>I would say this is a false dichotomy and not to look at life like this. Take opportunities to travel (optimally) when they present themselves. Timing is everything.
Ideally sure, but thing is, you don't always get opportunities. Sometimes you have to make them yourself.
Like maybe you're fresh out of college, have some money saved up from part-time jobs. Do you spend your time, resources, and energy on building the foundation of a career, renting an apartment in the big city closer to your job, and maybe go once a year on holidays somewhere for just a week, or do you stay with your parents and pack your stuff and go visit other countries for months at a time using your savings, maybe do some small jobs in-between and keep traveling?
Because if you do the latter you're probably going to have better life experiences in your 20's but it also becomes a lot harder to start a career from scratch in your 30's since there's less people hiring folks that old for junior positions. (Not impossible but definitely more difficult.) Though ideally maybe you'd build connections in your travels that would help you land a job.
>>
Travel in 20s. 99% of the time focusing on your career in 20s will get you nowhere. You want to take your education seriously and if you intend to serve in the military do that but you shouldn’t give a fuck about career. It’s completely pointless until you’re early 30s at least. You may as well travel.
>>
>>2698709
work hard, travel hard all life
>>
>>2698758
Is that you insecurity guard?
>>
>>2698784
>maybe you'd build connections in your travels that would help you land a job
>Hello. Mamasan? Yes I got some new knee pads. Do you have any openings in the bar?
>>
I was forced into working hard in my 20s (still squeezed in a bit of travel when I could) and am now entering my 30s which is when I can travel much more.
>>
>>2698709
Why work? You mean you weren’t born into generational wealth? Sucks to be you. I thank G-d every day I was born Jewish and not some poor, working class, goyim trash.
>>
>>2698842
No. However, we can all tell when you comment, cuckshed.
>>
>>2698709
Depends on whether you have a long-term plan for life past your 30s. Typically, working in your 20s and then traveling 30s is much better given historical market movements and inflation. By the time you get to regularly travel, you'll have assets making you money and can comfortably travel knowing that you aren't setting yourself back.
But, if you unironically intend to kill yourself in your 30s or you have a high tolerance for getting worked like a pack mule, then doing it the other way around and possibly debtmaxxxing on top of that can be amazing. You can get access to a ridiculous amount of credit in your 20s so you can literally ball out all over the world like a degenerate instead of going to college. Then you call it quits when the debt collectors call. You'll be able to enjoy places you'll never save up enough to enjoy anyway, and you'll do so before economic conditions worsen and your borrowed dollar doesn't stretch as far like it would in your 30s.
>>
>>2698709
>work hard in your 20's
I'm early thirties and only recently got into solo travel. I spent my 20s in a relationship and in front of a computer screen. I don't regret the computer time as it's my passion and it gave me a job that pays well and allows remote. I do wish I'd solo traveled earlier in life however as it gave me confidence and life experience, which are very important and affect all aspects of one's life. Realistically though, I had no funds to travel abroad in my 20s. I think the best of both worlds would have been getting a scholarship to do a master's abroad in some university in Asia, but I didn't know better back then and wasted a lot of time on nonsense like drugs and long-distance relationships.

>Don't waste your time, young anons.
>>
>study and work hard through highschool
>barely pass but got A's in the focus of what I wanted to do
>grew up poor had to wageslave to eat and pay for transporation to school
>learn the value of money and work up to night supervisor by graduation
>swap to IT helldesk shit as my last position had customer service in the name
>community college that shit, work whatever 2 bit job that builds my resume in computers working shitty IT jobs just to do fuck all
>get any cert I can fuck going to parties every weekend work study cert
>by 21 working 0 debt with my own apartment working a decent IT position prepare to job hop after 18 months
>22-23 friends are graduating with tons of debt 0 exp
>get job with 25%-50% travel required, knock it out because all the fat fuck boomers don't take travel opportunities in the company
>keep my nose in it for 2.5 years outlast and outshine all the boomers
>boss happy lets me be 100% remote during covid office restructures, moves me to Sr. where I don't have to be onsite or install anything in person now 100% project based
>100k/yr haven't been home in over a year bounce between Japan, Taiwan, and Philippines depending on time of year
>still getting 401k match and investment shit
>still got to enjoy all my 20's despite covid shit
>probably going to do this till I get bored or knock someone up
>>
>>2699093
>Japan, Taiwan, and Philippines
How would you compare the dating markets in Japan and Taiwan? I imagine it's shooting fish in a barrel in .ph
>>
>>2699095
Depends I usually find girls within my hobby ring to date but for the most part it's kinda the same.

Japanese never fuck on the first date.
Taiwanese will.

Both are basically the same other than Taiwanese really trying to get a ticket out of the country from someone with a stable job.
>>
>>2698751
>I never would have had the balls to drive around iceland in my twenties
What kind of pussy is scared to drive in iceland of all places?
>>
>>2699098
I'm surprised to hear this. I did really well in Taiwan without Mandarin, but I was thinking that it will be much harder to date in Japan without Japanese. Which Japanese cities would you say are best for dating? Any protips?

>Both are basically the same other than Taiwanese really trying to get a ticket out of the country from someone with a stable job.
I didn't get this impression at all, definitely not with chicks in their 20s.

Care to share some contact details to discuss privately?
>>
>>2699101
>Which Japanese cities would you say are best for dating
The farther I got from tokyo or military base the better. Sapporo/Sendai is literal shooting fish in a barrel type stuff if you connect on any levels of hobbies with people.

>I didn't get this impression at all, definitely not with chicks in their 20s.
Not sure the types of places you stayed in but it's a surprisingly diverse country for how small it is.
>>
>>2699108
>Sapporo/Sendai is literal shooting fish in a barrel type stuff if you connect on any levels of hobbies with people.
Thanks, I'll do some research, although I don't think that my hobbies would work well.

>Not sure the types of places you stayed in but it's a surprisingly diverse country for how small it is.
Mostly Taipei. I agree with you that the island felt very diverse despite its size. I mostly used dating apps to meet people.
>>
>>2698759
Yeah nah. I’m 35, travelled extensively on all the continents (yes, including the big cold one) and its been brutal these last two years trying to settle down. I have a great woman, great home and decent income but was so incredibly mundane and 10 day mini-trips to scratch the itch were totally ineffective.

So now I’m training to become a pilot so I can just live that life and hopefully one day turn a $175-200kish a year income.

Some of us just have it in our blood to be untethered and thinking about where we are going next constantly.
>>
>>2698751
Why were you scared of driving around in Iceland of all places? A small first world island nation with one of the lowest crime rates?
Lmao
>>
>>2699098
>I usually find girls within my hobby ring to date
What hobby rings exactly if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>2698709
Being ferried around as a senior citizen isn't travelling. It's impossible to truly travel once you age out of your twenties and it's completely trivial to speedrun 10 years of a "career" in 2 years when you're in your thirties. Get your degree from a good school then spend the rest of your twenties exploring and living a full life. However people will resent you for making all the right choices while they were grinding away.
>>
File: Solitude(1).jpg (144 KB, 768x1024)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>2698709
the real dilemma is when your 30 and never traveled and have to chose between spending your last few "young" years traveling like you shouldve when you were early 20's (and funding it via human cesspool slave jobs) or trying to "hack it" and get a "career" as a "late bloomer retard". either fuck yourself out of any chance of a future to enjoy the last scraps of youth or throw it in the bin and wagecuck for the rest of your shitty life.
>>
File: IMG_20240812_082050.jpg (327 KB, 1280x720)
327 KB
327 KB JPG
>>2698709
Option A doesn't work as intended. Everyone who works hard all through their 20s finds themselves locked into their pathway to success. Their brain develops a mentality which rewards pursuit of success and sees no point whatsoever in spending a year sleeping in hostels and drinking beer with strangers. These people don't travel in their 30s and 40s, they take two-week luxury vacations to tourist hotspots. Only exceptions are people like that faggot security guard who can work and save for two years straight for the sole goal of traveling to Thailand and handing cash to whores.
Option B often fails as well, because people who spend their 20s traveling become set in their ways. The brain stops developing at age 26, and they find themselves unable to adapt to a conventional life of marrying and settling down, chasing dollars in some generic suburb.
>>2698734
Failed fledglings rarely enjoy travel, they miss their nest too much. A good intermediate step would be landing a seasonal job in your home country. Pay looks low on paper, but because many of the outfits provide room & board at low cost, you can save 80+% of your paycheck if you have an ounce of self-discipline.
I have a flexible arrangement with a golf course in Colorado. Sixth year running. Just moved into the on-site apartment today. Gonna work two months this year, save about $4000, then return to Southeast Asia.
>>
>>2699395
Wrong.

I travelled / studied abroad at 19-20, got my degree. Worked high paying corporate jobs and now at 29 digital nomadding in SEA until I get fired.

It can be done both ways.
>>
>>2699331
Look at this high schooler thinking that people in their 30s are old.
>>
>>2699098
>Japanese never fuck on the first date
Japanese will never fuck YOU on the first date
>>
>>2698709
Travelling in your 20s is only an option for trust fund kids. The rest of us have to work.
>>
>>2699161
Murdering
>>
>>2698709
After 35, the novelty of existence wears off and unless you have a wife and kids, you’re just white knuckling each day, waiting to die lol. Even with the wife and kids you’re just waiting to die but your biology will flood you with oxytocin and make it more comfortable
>tRaVel in YoUr 40s
Nothing to say. Nothing can replicate or eclipse being a young teenager/early 20s, and fucking hot pink teen pussy. No amount of money papers over being an old faggot
>>
Not sure what’s best but I worked hard in my 20s and barely traveled despite really wanting to. I hate working so incredibly much that I wanted to save and build a solid foundation to stop working asap. Ended up getting a job in Japan (first international trip) at age 29 and met a Japanese girl I’m going to marry and likely will stay in Japan for the long term. Have since been traveling around Asia. Still hate working but I’m early 30s with over $300k saved and still planning on getting the hell out of these work places filled to the brim with literal psychopaths, feminists, assholes, and people that deserve to die in a gutter. Seriously I have only met 1 or 2 decent people over 10+ years.
>>
>>2699650
Where'd you meet the girl? At work?
I entertain the idea of getting a job abroad but I doubt I'd get any social circles outside my job as a foreigner.
>>
>>2699653
Keep doubting yourself and don’t act like anyone has to care about you. That’s my entire point. You are alone.
>>
Being young genuinely sucks. Being young and traveling is one of the few exceptions. You might lose a step or two physically but life gets better as you get older and stop giving a fuck. You just have to do it right, and that mostly means staying in great shape and accepting that mass media and consumer culture is going to lose its luster.

If you can fill that void with meaningful community & hobbies things get better. I was very afraid of 35, but honestly it’s the best it’s ever been. I am worried about 45 though.
>>
My issue with waiting until 30s is that is when the agepill starts to hit (both physically and being more jaded with life). Also given how everyone and their fucking mother is traveling these days its a matter of time before Africa becomes saturated and girls are gassed up because of social media
>>
If I could do my life over, I would get my BA and JD and then I’d either join the Army or spend the rest of my 20s fucking around. I’d stay healthy and fit obviously, but I absolutely would not get some normie career or day job and imagine I’m going like establish myself or something.
>>
>>2699671
>meaningful community & hobbies
Do my quarterly trips to Nha Trang count?
>>
>>2699671
Why are you worried about 45? Mid life crisis I assume. I agree with you about 30s, it’s been way better than my 20s. Having some life experience plus money is great.
>>
If you talked to 20 year old me I'm sure I'd want to travel

But working hard for 1 decade and traveling for 2+ decades vs traveling for one and then having to wage cage for 2+.. I think most people would choose to travel longer.

For me the early 20s kind of sucked

Pros: Young, athletic, full head of hair, whole life ahead of you

Cons: Unless your parents did a great job to prepare you for the world beyond "Just enjoy your school years, oh wait high school ended, now get a job or potentially take on college debt" you have a lot of things to learn and figure out which was annoying and I'd like to have a 35 year olds brain and wisdom + a 20 year olds body
>>
>>2699645
Yeah it sucks it was a short era but I'm happy I traveled in my 20s, some good memories being a 25 year old stallion. Still plenty of fun traveling in your 30s but it's a different experience when you're a guy in your absolute prime. Then again maybe if you start traveling when you're 32 it probably feels just about as exciting as it does at 25. I was already probably 4-5 pages into my passport by 32
>>
Feel kinda bad for zoomers in this regard. When I went to college (‘07-‘12) our rent was $150/month split 4 years. My stupid part time custodial job I worked at my cheap tuition in-state university paid vastly more than I needed to survive (aka beer, spam, ramen & rent which came out to like $200 a month) so I could travel every summer. This was still the era of rising school costs, but you could at least live on scraps back then.

Wasn’t really a matter of picking between traveling young and traveling old. You could really have both.
>>
>>2699861
Yeah I used to pay 300 usd a month for a small place in Texas in 2011, was making only a little over 1000 a month so to me it sounds insane that anybody can see 1000 a month rent and say "Yeah that's a good deal"
>>
File: colombiatravels.jpg (1.03 MB, 2054x2393)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
>>2699645
Only Chads peak in their youth, having many sex before 21. Low value males usually spend their younger years deeply insecure and reluctant to face the world and its complexities, peaking much later in life. I didn't make a circle of friends until age 22, didn't try drugs until 23, didn't lose my virginity until age 24, didn't take my first overseas trip until age 26...still felt extremely insecure and socially withdrawn in Colombia's hectic urbanity, but the challenges I faced on that trip helped build confidence in my ability to survive in a foreign city after years of self-sufficient vagabonding in America's wild spaces. Last winter in Southeast Asia at age 29 was much more relaxing, but I was still too tied up with deep-rooted insecurities to enjoy myself in any social setting. Now at age 30, having at last found a degree of inner peace and acceptance of who I am, I can look forward to the challenge of flying to Vietnam with everything I own on my back, making friends & enemies, getting into shit, and creating my own travel stories.
>>
>>2699413
You proved my point exactly.
>worked high paying corporate jobs during formative years
>travels to Southeast Asia...to enjoy a life of leisure?
>nope, still wagecucking
>>
>>2698709

I am doing the first right now. Basically, my vacations aren't restrained by money and do whatever I want. Key thing is to maintain your health and have someone who shares the same opinion.

Not having to worry about money while traveling is a huge flex.
>>
>>2698709
Nobody wants to work hard at 30 or 40, trust me.
>>
>>2698709
I realized I was a total failure by Western standards when I was 18 and got rejected from Harvard (my pops alma mater) so I started travelling and have no regrets. I expect this is what motivates a lot of people to travel a lot during their 20s. I'm 29 now and could probably settle down for an average life somewhere back in the states without much effort.
>>
>>2700052
You think an orthopedic surgeon or an airline pilot in their 40’s annd 50’s are “working hard” making $500k+ a year? Nah, they did all that in their twenties and thirties. You pay it forward.
>>
>>2698709
Just depends on you, senpai.

I lived at home through college and worked tons to afford regular travel. Ended up getting a remote job before everyone was working online, and spent almost all of my 20s abroad before getting married and coming back home. Now that I'm in my 30s, I don't have the same drive to constantly go new places--I'm pretty content chilling out, going hunting a few times every autumn, and driving up to New York and New England for short holidays.

You may well be able to pull off perpetual travel, but the novelty eventually wears off. I've been all over Europe, and visited dozens of dozens of "shit-hole" countries in Latin America, the Middle-East, Asia, and Europe. It's hard to get worked up over new places when you've seen similar things in 100 other places.

In some ways, I feel much more boring than I used to be. But I still wouldn't trade the experiences I've had for anything. So I'd say to get out there and do what you can before you accrue more responsibilities in terms of work, marriage, or family.
>>
File: camel.jpg (51 KB, 600x600)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>2699093
congrats anon, really
>>
>>2699958
Why do richfags believe that low-spending travelers are always worrying about money? Some white people's brains are not wired to enjoy excess and finery. The law of diminishing returns hits us hard. We also don't give a fuck about prevailing hype-driven perceptions of desirability, seeing them as nothing more than crass social manipulation. Call it travel autism if you like.
>>
False equivalency.
Travelling in your early 20s costs money, when 20 you generally don’t have money or ANY disposable income to travel with, don’t compare yourself to the normies, they are either : trust fund babby or +50k in credit card debt
>>
>>2698709
I did for former, a part of me wonders how doing the latter would have been. I do my traveling with my wife, but I wonder what traveling young and single would have been like.
>>
traveling in your 20s is infinite times better. you look the best you'll ever look. more fun, more women, more carefree
it's also cheaper. it's expected that you have no money in your early 20s, nobody cares. everyone else is broke too. you can stay in hostels which dirt cheap and located in the best areas. hotels in those same areas are very expensive. if you're a broke oldfag then you have to stay in shitty hotels or hotels far away from the best districts. and in your 30s and 40s you're considered too old to be traveling on a shoestring budget. you're expected to be able to afford nice hotels, fine restaurants and expensive excursions.

Anyways OP is presenting a false dichotomy. You can work hard AND travel. And you can do this at any age. Apparently they call it "digital nomading" now. Before it was just called having an income. You can get a remote job. You can run your own businesses remotely. You can landlord remotely. You can trade stocks remotely. Million different things you could do remotely from your computer. If you need an income, use some creativity and leverage your current skills, and pick up new skills/knowledge that you lack.
>>
>>2698709
you missed
>traveling in your late teens

went around the world for a year before starting university
looking back, probably the most relaxed traveling I've ever done
you're naive, worry free and have very low standards so no matter what you do, it's awesome

>20s vs 30s / 40s
a big problem is the hedonism inflation trap

you need to spend a lot more in your 40s to replicate the same contentment on your travels like in your 20s

I'm only in my 30s, but even now
hostels are a hard no and so are 14h overnight bus drives
replaced with expensive hotels and flights
same goes for experiences

it's not like you magically have more money for travels later
you'll make career, earn more, but also a lot more expenses
today mortgage + child care / more food eats up more than half of my HHI
I don't think I spend more per person traveling per day today than I did 10y ago
>>
>>2703081
It's not a "false dichotomy". It's the reality of my situation right now.
>You can remote job, you can run your own business, you can landlord remotely.
A lot of those rely on being born in the right circumstances and environment, or having made the right connections. Check out /g/'s job search thread, dozens of fresh graduates desperate for jobs living with their parents, none of them are gonna start "digital nomading" and getting remote jobs.
>>
>>2703081
>run business remotely
most people fail miserably with their business
>landlord remotely
?? you really can't, at least not in most "renter friendly" countries
also where tf would you get the initial capital
>trade stocks
even if you're wheeling, that's what 20%, 30% per year?
90%+ of day traders lose money
>Million different things you could do remotely from your computer
spoken like someone who' still in school / university and never worked a job in their life

most remote jobs restrict you to the jobs original country
most remote jobs are still typical 9-5s where you don't have the expected "DN flexibility"; at most you can collect your kids from school during lunch

it's not like digital nomading is impossible
but it's something you have to specifically work forward to
the people from my CS university class that made it as DN prepared ~5y+ building a portfolio, connection and customer base before being a freelancer with the needed flexibility
>>
>>2703267
>A lot of those rely on being born in the right circumstances and environment, or having made the right connections.
Something that you actually can rely on: you'll never achieve any of these things by espousing the kinds of self-limiting beliefs that you do.

Running a business, having a remote job, being a landlord. None of those are even remarkable. Granted, it's not effortless, nobody claimed it was effortless. But it's also very achievable and millions of ordinary people run a business, have a remote job, or rent out rooms or a house. Just set some goals, figure out what you need to learn and do, then work towards it each day.

As for landlording, it's not necessary if you just want to travel. It takes time and in the beginning cash flow will be a trickle, but as a way to grow wealth you can't beat it.

If you're starting from zero just focus on getting your income up. First you'll need to get a business off the ground (or high salary job), then once you have good cash coming in set a portion of it aside each month and invest as soon as you can. With leverage you really don't need that much cash to get the ball rolling. Until you get your first property sacrifice a little bit by keeping your expenses down. Just get into a property ASAP. Inflation incinerates your cash and reduces your salary to zero. But inflation also incinerates your debt. So use it to your advantage.
>>
>>2703628
>If you're starting from zero just focus on getting your income up. First you'll need to get a business off the ground (or high salary job), then once you have good cash coming in set a portion of it aside each month and invest as soon as you can.
Look man I don't know if you're trolling me but yes that's what I'm doing and it's going to take years and a lot of energy spent until I reach the point where I can live off my efforts and go traveling more than twice a year, bringing back to the OP dilemma.
"Being a landlord is not remarkable" is like the most silverspooned thing you could possibly say. You absolutely have to spend your 20's working hard AND smart to reach that point when starting from zero. (Unless of course you just luck out on gambling like lottery or bitcoin.)
>>
File: 1721112424106480.jpg (211 KB, 1078x1534)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
>>2699645
>Nothing can replicate or eclipse being a young teenager/early 20s, and fucking hot pink teen pussy.

Hey man, I'm a 40 year old man. I fuck and creampie 19 year old teen pussy. Sometimes old man get lucky :)
>>
>>2703081
>you look the best you'll ever look. more fun, more women, more carefree.. it's also cheaper.

Stayin' in $10 hostel. Having unprotected sex with college aged tourists. Fuck them hard. It only takes $10-$15, buy them beer at the bar and then fuck them hard and good. Slide your rod inside their hot pussy.
>>
>>2703691
Never forget lads, everything you read on 4chan is always the unfiltered truth.
>>
>>2698709
First one is vastly superior. Traveling on a budget sucks.
>>
“Without thinking too much about it first, pack a pillow and a blanket and see as much of the world as you can. One day it will be too late.”
>>
>>2704490
>“Without thinking too much about it"
>"pack a pillow and a blanket and see as much of the world as you can."
Someone post the screencap with the chick from reddit going to India after breaking up with her boyfriend, and being unable to leave her hotel room because of constant harassment from the jeets which the hotel staff ignored.
>>
My initial plan was to save in my 20s and travel with my wife.
>Wife has schizoprenic breakdown
>Tries killing me, calls the cops and tells them I raped her
>All my money's gone on legal fees and moving costs
>Get cancer (not a joke)
I'm thinking of killing myself in Germany.
>>
File: 172495201189193198.jpg (128 KB, 621x680)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>2698758
considering dropping out of college and doing this until my crypto money runs out
>>
>>2705709
if this is srs anon ill buy u a plane ticket to germany if u take delta giftcards and have a way to contact / prove
>>
>>2698746
>>2698709

It amazes me people assume they have tomorrow to live, or the next decade nothing will go wrong.
Always travel now, tomorrow isn't promised.
Never wait to do what you've always wanted to do.
>>
>>2705731
it is, and i will. How's the best way to do this?
>>
>>2705742
Life happens anon. If you're at the freedom of doing whatever at anytime you like that's amazing. But your philosophy only holds with the means at your disposal.
>>
>>2705772
Yeah if I lived assuming I could die tomorrow, I'd have just turned into a broke junkie. Sometimes you just need to put off short term pleasures for quite some time if you really want to reach "what you've always wanted to do". It's a risk you take of course since you can die in a car accident tomorrow and it was all for nothing, but that's just how the game goes, big rewards, big risks.
>>
>>2698709
first one
>>
>>2699395
>Just moved into the on-site apartment today. Gonna work two months this year, save about $4000, then return to Southeast Asia.
How do you make $4k last eight months?
>>
>>2699901
How can you consider it leisure if you're not making enough money every year to save anything? If you're 18 it's fine, but if you're early 20's+ that would be insane.
>>
>>2699093
What area of IT
>>
Do all of these people who live overseas just not have any friends or family they care about or have the feeling they will be left behind? I figured it wasnt an issue for this board but seeing literal PSL moggers and chads in SEA doing the digital dorker meme it truly baffles me.
>>
>>2706611
To add to this I am 25 and feel the agepill hitting me already. I really dont know when the best time to just say fuck it is but I feel burdened through just abandoing my life at home, but putting off traveling just increases risk of plandemic, places becoming more soulless and further globohomo, etc.
>>
>>2698751
sounds great
>>
>work hard in my 20's
>work hard in my 30's
>work hard in my 40's
>get sick in my 50's
>die in my 60's
>>
>>2705752
email ? tg ?
>>
>>2706611
>muh family and friends
Why do you care about them? They dont care about you. They just don't want you to live a better life than them. They want you to be forced to stoop to their level. Instead of stooping, push them over. Preferably off of a high bridge or building.

Ditch them. Become the Actualized FAVSTIAN Being you were meant to be. Buy my self help book for the low price of only four installments of $4.99.
>>
>>2698709
I chose to work only moderately hard and travel as much as I could get away with in my 20s, 30s, and 40s. I maximized my experiences by studying abroad, and then by working abroad for more than a decade in total (split between my 20s and 40s).

There’s no single right answer to this question, and no need to go all in on any option—you don’t have to spend years at a time living out of a backpack to travel, and you don’t have to do nothing but work in order to survive and even succeed professionally (although the pressure is real and hard to ignore, in some fields especially).

It’s possible to travel in rewarding ways at most ages and price points. Personally, I most enjoyed traveling in my 30s and early 40s, when I had enough money for comfort and didn’t have to worry about emergencies, but broke-ass adventures in my 20s were also worth it. And it’s true that my stamina at 50 is less than it was thirty years ago. I no longer want to stay up all night, or ride on standing-room-only third-class trains (although I did recently sleep on the floor of an overnight ferry when it turned out that I’d booked the wrong plane ticket). But I have yet to quit and don’t intend to.
>>
>>2698758
I agree. so lead by example and show us how it's done.
>>
>>2703691
cap. jpg
>>
>>2706611
>Do all of these people who live overseas just not have any friends or family they care about or have the feeling they will be left behind?
At the moment, I’ve been living abroad with my wife and kids for six years. I’ve been back to my “hometown” twice this year, once a few months ago to help my elderly parents move into a retirement community, and once just last week to visit family and attend the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest childhood friends, with whom I have always kept in touch even when we haven’t seen each other face-to-face very often as adults. Saw another friend at the wedding who’s been living in Africa forever, and whom I hadn’t seen in person in nearly ten years—he and I communicate at least a few times a week via a group Signal chat. Also went back to the USA over the summer to see friends and in-laws on the opposite coast from my people, which was my home for a long time before we went abroad.

Being far from family is sometimes difficult. But in the modern era there’s no reason for people to fall out of touch with anyone anywhere unless they want to. At least in the world I have always inhabited, leaving “home” is very normal—I feel no significant ties to the specific soil of my birth, even though I love the region and always enjoy going back. I still have the people and don’t really miss the place.

My experience is doubtless very different from that of a sexpat or digital nomad, but it’s not at all difficult to pull off.
>>
Work hard in your late teens to early 20s. Set yourself up for success. You can still have fun and enjoy your youth from mid 20s to early 30s. Ultimately travel whenever you can. Don’t limit yourself. Your youth is a short window of time in adulthood. Make the best of it.
>>
File: L TAKEN.jpg (91 KB, 891x661)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>2698709
I'm gonna be 23 soon and I don't see myself being able to travel like I want to for several years at least. Life is just too damn expensive and I've already wasted my youth.

Also I'm getting weird pains in the left side of my chest so maybe I'll just get a heart attack and die.
>>
>>2699395
>people like that faggot security guard
he's based
>>
File: 1659812458729280.jpg (56 KB, 800x600)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>2698709
I picked a high paying job that allows me to travel. I traveled in my 20s, and I now travel in my 30s.

This is the cheatcode.
>>
I've travelled from 18 to, I guess, now, 23. Only three continents, twelve countries and ~30 states, but it's been enough for me. I'd like to give advice for the small minority who might resonate with it.
There is no single reason for traveling. Many people do it for pleasure of some kind that they cannot get at home. I hated this reasoning as a kid, and only after taking my first trip did I begin to warm up to travel. Now, after five years, I have returned to the same conclusion. You need to find a reason in order to justify travel - for me, pleasure is not only a bad reason, it is a distinctly negative side effect of travel within the first world.
There are a pleathora of reasons to travel in your youth, but please do not do so if you feel like you have a clear, positive, important existential purpose which requires focus, dedication and investment. I threw mine away to try to understand pleasure, sex, success, and happiness, and never got anywhere. It's possible I could get my purpose back in life, but having thrown away such a clear good, I almost cannot trust myself not to again. There is a certain positive mindset that one can attain from not traveling.
However, I still cannot say whether I would have done it any differently if I could have a do-over. The world is wide, and until you have caressed the surface of it, you will never be satisfied by secondhand impressions.

If anyone would like me to expand, I can. This isn't advice for any age, though it should highly discourage impressionable college kids from starting down a path which they might not come back from.
>>
>>2707266
tg works
>>
File: hhocwkbmklv91.jpg (38 KB, 640x384)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>2708053
>23
>wasted youth
stop being a bitch you're practically younger than this whole website stop listening to fake sigma scammers on instagram and go work construction, landscaping trade jobs for a few summers and save up and live like a king somewhere your dollar is way more powerful like mexico, SEA etc.
stay in hostels make friends don't be a retard faggot saying shit like "my youth is over im not a millionare by 21"
>>
>>2699621
Was going to post this
>>
>>2708326
My recommendation as a 30 year old who has been vagabonding for a decade - and at six countries is only just getting started - is to stop worshipping the illusionary, egocentric value of "purpose", i.e. the mindset of "I can't enjoy anything that life offers if I don't have some grand master life plan that it's gonna fit into."
Some people are just like migratory birds. They spend part of their annual cycle busting ass doing what they need to do. That's their motivational period. Then, the rest of the year they live out their migration cycle. Flit from bush to bush, eat here, eat there, chill with their bird friends, avoid the scumbag predators, enjoy the sunshine, endure the storms, and cover distance day after day. They are motivated to keep moving on because it's boring as fuck to stay plopped down in one place when you have the ability to move and experience new places. Each part of the annual cycle naturally harmonizes with and grants purpose to the other. If it didn't, migratory birds wouldn't be so evolutionarily successful. I always look forward to settling in and focusing on work after months of vagabonding, and I always look forward to letting go of obligations and embracing freedom of movement after months of diligent laboring in one place.
>>
>>2708766
This is why I mentioned my advice was only for some people.
>Flit from bush to bush, eat here, eat there, chill with their bird friends, avoid the scumbag predators, enjoy the sunshine, endure the storms, and cover the distance day after day.
I hate all of this. I travelled because I thought it would actually do *something* for the world if I did it, and it took years to figure out I'm better off busting my ass in one place (job, family, again higher personal purpose) than doing so in many places (networking, sex, personal development). Now I did gain life skills and understanding and perspective and whatnot, but deep down inside it's always been what I never wanted to become.
Think of it like the difference between a CEO and a rocket scientist. The CEO is happier in the moment, has more friends, can live more in the flow, and would tell the rocket scientist he should relax and find something that makes him more money for less work in the private sector. But at the end of the day, the CEO is just a guy. The rocket scientist got a guy to the moon.
That's not to belittle CEOs and travelers. A lot of people just don't want to be in the depths of the social world like that - they don't want to live at the peak of human existence, they want to make it.
>>
>>2708840
>23 yr old philosopher btw

Buddy you are young still. Trust me when I say you have a solid few more years before you have to put any effort towards planting roots or your legacy. Please enjoy yourself.

Also your idea of a CEO being a "fun, go with the flow, just a guy" could not be more wrong. They operate at an extremely high level with responsibility and stress.
Theres no such thing as a rocket scientist who directly got someone to the moon, especially not in 2024. In reality any engineer at NASA is hyper compartmentalized and its a team of 1000s that each contribute 0.001% to the final project. Your 23 yr old brain still thinks there is 1 guy who gets to go to work and design a rocket. If you think I'm wrong get any job at Ford and ask them if you can design the next Mustang.
A job is a means to an end (income) for 99.9% of adults. The trick is to find the route to highest pay for least shitty work environment.

t. 29 yr old engineer PM
>>
>>2708326
>If anyone would like me to expand, I can
I do. Not because it would help me (since I'm 30 years old by now), just because I'm interested in your story. I'm also in a similar boat where the idea of traveling was more appealing to me as a youth than actually traveling, and when I got down to it was quite a middling, banal experience. Traveling for the sake of traveling is not for me, I wish I didn't follow my dad's advice to "not settle down early" and actually married my highschool sweetheart instead of partying and whatnot, but just like you said, we'd never be satisfied with secondhand impressions, this is not the kind of thing you learn with words alone.
I still travel now, but with a personal purpose related to my hobbies, however I burnt my "bucket list" of seeing every european capital and various asian countries, there's only 3 countries I'm interested in and I'll probably just keep ping-ponging between them for the rest of my life. Getting to know a place I like in depth for months is infinitely more appealing to me than being a tourist in a different place every 2 weeks.

Note: heavy emphasis on "to me". I'm not saying this is the right way of traveling or that other people travel for the wrong reasons, this is just who I am and it took a couple of years and thousands of dollars wasted to discover that. But I don't regret doing it since now I better know what kind of person I am and I no longer get those pangs of envy when I hear about other people traveling to various countries, like I used to do when I was in college.

>>2708855
>A job is a means to an end (income) for 99.9% of adults.
Disagree. Musicians, artists, photographers, hell even car mechanics, a lot of people work on something they "like" or "personally care about" rather than just as a means to an end. I agree that a lot of people fall in that category but you're exaggerating the number. I feel like people who don't do what they enjoy for a living end up most miserable of the bunch.
>>
>>2698709
It doesn't have to be so clear cut. Many jobs include traveling around the globe and you can nearly the same experience from a place even of you work there 8 hours a day, especially if you're there for over 3 weeks. I've had a job that offered this throughout my early and mid 20s. On top of that, you can go ahead and travel for 3 weeks to where ever you choose for your annual vacation. So far this doesn't even include remote based jobs.

I don't have any regrets with prioritizing work and being on the computer most evenings. I'm still in my 20s and have a huge nest egg, a massive one compared to the general population.

I see dating in when you're 29-33 is an opportune time to fine women. At this age, its much easier to gauge how they will age further. If they are slim and muscular, chances are you won't deal with a rhino in 8 years down the line. They are also more serious about dating and know what they want and value.
>>
Ill explore the world that seems boring when im older, Europe's capitals and museums will always be there. We've done trips to Mexico and visited a few parts of Mexico City and nearby states. Those seem exciting and adventurous and appropriate for our age. I dont believe we will be going to international music festivals after 32 because the body cant recover as fast as when you were 22. Keep it simple, save and eat as much instant cup noodles, (without dying) so you spend money on what is more important, travel in your youth. Dont go too extreme and forget to grow your career. I.e. if you want to be an engineer, work jobs that keep your mind active while you travel, if you want do work in business, learn how to sell by working flexible restaurant hours. Life is a long time, and just set up as many positive outcomes as you can.

Travel to young places when you're young and single. Travel to traditional places when you have a family. The point is to see the world and experience a full journey of life. Nobody's got the solution, everything in moderation, including moderation.
>>
>>2698709
I think both will yield similar gains. Probably travel when I was younger though and work hard later in life.

Travel cunny is only available for so long, need to strike when the iron is hot.
>>
>>2706611
The kind of person who this lifestyle appeals won't be moved by this. My uncle worked for the UN his entire life and was always on some adventure or another. We often went years without seeing him. He just had different priorities.

I find a lot of people who nomad have lived with their parents their entire lives, which can also be an easy way to get sick of them. I went to Colombia for the sole purpose of being able to live in a city without unaffordable rents.
>>
>>2707959
This is what I wish I would have done. If you can live at home until you're 25, you can get a degree and still save enough money to travel for a couple of years, either right after high school or right after college. I would probably have a net worth north of 100K right now if I had just knuckled under and kept up with crappy minimum wage jobs. I'm paying for it now, and it doesn't get any easier as you get older and lose the energy you had when you were young.
>>
>>2710276
You can fug well into your 30s if you have the right look and personality. I did find girls in their early 20s were hard to come by when I was only around 27. I'm 29 now and scared to think what it would be like now.
>>
>>2710304
That's why so many people start healthmaxxing in their late 20s & early 30s. The bad habits which worked just fine through your youth now leave you feeling chronically fatigued and devoid of motivation. It's a copout to assume "that's just getting old" or "my best days are over, no more enjoying life now that I've turned 30". Quitting intoxicants and eating smaller meals has a tremendous effect on my energy level and mental focus. Yes, we all backslide on occasion, but that's no reason to give up on refining your self-control and go back to spending your evenings smoking weed and stuffing your face with junk food before jacking off.
>>
>>2700124
what job did you do remotely?
>>
>>2710249
comfy tea thoughts, granddaddy
>>
>>2710308
you fug well into your 80s if you have money and go to certain countries. I was in the Phils recently around Christmas time and this old dude pulled up on his walker with a literal train. He bought drinks for everyone at the bar and sat down to a huge meal while being attended by his centerfold SEA crew. I have never seen a man more happy.
>>
>>2699645
What this guy said. travel in your 20's and sow your royal oats. In your 30's knuckle down, meet a good woman and have kids.
>>
>>2708935
Strong people learn to love their work; weak people grow to hate it and waste their limited mental energy on the internal conflict of forcing themselves to do what they don't want to do.
Right now I love my job; four weeks of work gotten me in tip-top shape physically and mentally. With five weeks to go until my return to Thailand, I have no problem with giving my job everything I got, because every day I work saves me enough money for four days overseas.
>>
>>2698709
>work hard in your 20's
Definitely this. I feel like men peak in their 30s
>>
>>2698709
Never work and travel continuously would be my choice
>>
I have like 8 weeks of vacation per year which easily covers my traveling needs so this is not a dilemma for me, and I dont understand why it has to be for most people since life is not either or scenarios like this unless you're balls deep in family, marriage and house debt lmao, then its over for you.
>>
Alright so what I learned from this thread
>start making connections when you're 14
>start investing into real estate when you're 16
>get a senior remote digital nomad job when you're 18
>use the funds from it to start a business when you're 20
>start landlording when you're 22
>retire when you're 25
>start traveling, doing cocaine and fucking underage pussy until you die in your 40's, and if not then you wasted your life
Which is good advice and all but how do I send it to myself 10 years ago?
>>
>>2712155
It's not about liking your work, or deriving any personal benefit from your work. The best job, to me, has nothing to do with hours, benefits, pay, or any other personal characteristic. It has to do with what I actually am doing at my job. Is it meaningful to me? Is it meaningful to others? Am I doing the most important thing I can be doing? If not, why even try?
>>
>>2698709
How do you afford trips in your 20s?
>>
>>2712931
>It has to do with what I actually am doing at my job. Is it meaningful to me? Is it meaningful to others? Am I doing the most important thing I can be doing? If not, why even try?

Yea see most people work a job for fucking food clothing and shelter. Anyone who can select a job that ticks all these boxes is some sister hood of the traveling pants influencer bitch who’s parents pay for everything while she lives in NYC.

God what a fucking joke.
>>
>>2712971
A job that ticks all these boxes includes anything in construction, agriculture, most industry, some government, some tech and a small amount of finance. What percentage of the US workforce is that, like, 50%? 70%?
If you can't find meaning in anything besides interpretive dance, and you don't see the difference between working in a steel factory versus advertising vices, maybe you should work on your morals first by humbling yourself at a "lower" job that still pays for food, clothing and shelter.

Not everyone has this issue. For another example of how to find meaning, watch Office Space.
>>
>>2699086
The answer
>>
>>2698709
If you work hard in your 20s, it's over for you. You'll continue with your serfdom until you die or get too old to travel. In the end, who even knows what's next on the zionist agenda and if you'll even have a chance to live your life in 5 or 10 years. Just remember the Covid saga.
>>
>working your whole youth away so you can grow up and be a .... tourist

lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
>>
>>2713555
holy cope
>>
The amount of money a man can have access to in late 20s and early 30s is much comfier than early career or pre-career. I think there's a correct balance for each individual
>>
>>2698816
>>It’s completely pointless until you’re early 30s at least
No it's not, if you don't work on it by the time you're in your 30s your competitors will be miles ahead of you
>>
how about:
do some work and travel all the time
when you're 50+ reduce or eliminate work
it doesn't need to be 100% or 0%
>>
>>2712937
by living in developed country with human rights
>>
>>2698816
>Travel in 20s. 99% of the time focusing on your career in 20s will get you nowhere. You want to take your education seriously and if you intend to serve in the military do that but you shouldn’t give a fuck about career. It’s completely pointless until you’re early 30s at least. You may as well travel.
hmmm
>>2714408
>No it's not, if you don't work on it by the time you're in your 30s your competitors will be miles ahead of you
ya I also disagree.
I was born 1993 and roughly careermaxxed highschool/college/20s. Worth a little over $1M before age 30.

My college peers are sometimes doing even better
at least 1 founded a team with funding from AVAX
a VR engineer at meta
a few medical path people wrap up their schooling
engineers will be senior/staff level or sometimes even higher if quite high performing

etc

depends on your talents and beliefs I suppose. but if you have what it takes to use your 20s and the support of a developed ecosystem, it could still be right there for ya in the 20s

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.