[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (343 KB, 1200x844)
343 KB
343 KB PNG
Is anywhere in blue worth living at? I work from home
>>
>>2699130
>Why yes I do want to live with stroads and carcuck land!
Holy shit just watch Not Just Bikes to understand why this is stupid, why would you want to live some place you are 1 hour or more from basic needs like a grocery store?
>>
>>2699138
They're not all 1 hour away. I actually live in a light blue area right now and I'm 5 minutes from the local Walmart, with food delivery options to my door. Maybe that's true for dark blue.
With that said, there's almost nothing to do and it's incredibly hot during the summer
>>
>>2699130
State college PA
>>
File: 1714624083647813.webm (2.51 MB, 576x1024)
2.51 MB
2.51 MB WEBM
>>2699138
Are you too poor to own a car you absolute faggot. Im a 10 min drive from the grocery and i have enough land that i hardly ever need to buy food
>>
>Rabun County, Georgia; N Ga in general.

Fucking snowbirds.
>>
>>2699130
in light blue yes

in dark blue not really
>>
>>2699138
>1 hour
Non American detected
Almost nowhere in this country is that remote. Maybe in eastern Wyoming or something
>>
>>2699225
have you been to Montana? east of the rockies you can drive for 4 hours without coming across a town.
>>
>>2699130
Its better to find a light orange city where you don't need to own a car (Philadelphia, Chicago, Minneapolis). You'll save more money doing so.
>>
>>2699214
>LARPing as a homesteader
lmao

Just get food from the grocery store retard.
>>
I want to move to Maine
>>
rural Iowa
>>
>>2699138
>just watch Not Just Bikes
No I don't think I will
>>>/n/
>>>/r/fuckcars
>>
File: IMG_20240705_154409.jpg (334 KB, 1280x720)
334 KB
334 KB JPG
>>2699130
The Tawas City region of Michigan is pretty freaking nice in summer. Rarely does it get over 90 degrees. Lovely beaches on Lake Huron, clear placid rivers to kayak, tons of open forest land to explore. People are easygoing, the city hustle is a world away.
>>
File: IMG_20240707_121015.jpg (403 KB, 720x1280)
403 KB
403 KB JPG
>>2699214
My minivan cost me $165/month to own over the past 3 years. That includes purchase cost, tags, insurance, maintenance and repairs. No such thing as being too poor to own a car.
Picrel: 1210 sq ft 3 bedroom home in a comfy little coastal village (Oscoda) sold for $138K.
>>2699228
Yeah, and everyone has a thousand acres of land. Those ranch properties aren't the kind of thing that brokefags can even consider.
>>2699337
If you like being around fat, placid, cornfed white people, Iowa is good. Very little in the way of publicly accessible nature, however.
>>
>>2699269
No you won't, unless you want to bunk up with some Somalians for $300/month kek.
>>
>>2699389
>coastal
>>
>>2699130
If you're from an orange/red area just fucking stay there. You don't need to ruin the rest of america just because you ruined your area.
>>
File: californian_gators.jpg (96 KB, 1024x504)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
Always harass Californians. Scratch with your keys any cars with Californian plates.
Make Californians uncomfortable in any way possible.
>>
File: california.jpg (180 KB, 1280x960)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>>2699130
>>
>>2699142
It’s a college town and almost entirely undergraduates apparently. It would be terrible if you’re not a student.

>>2699130
I liked living in Pittsburgh. I’m honestly thinking about moving back there in the next month.

>>2699269
Philly is both great and terrible at the same time. It’s a majority black city run by black and Jewish leftists so you have to deal with everything that comes with that. Walkable cities aren’t so walkable when it’s not safe to walk around. That said, there are a lot of really nice spots like near the Art Museum or Independence Hall or that neighborhood across the bridge from Penn.
>>
>>2699130
just live net to a walmart
>>
>>2699401
Yes, any body of water that delineates the extent of a country's territorial boundary is a coast.
>>
>>2699130
Tennessee or WA. If you work remote you should be in an income tax free state for a free %10 pay raise.
>>
>>2699130
it's too bad the texas coast is such a shithole dirty ass fucking area with oil spills
>>
>>2699138
>Not Just Bikes
You could have at least said CityNerd
SAD!
>>
>>2701293
CityNerd isn't a massive dweeb and therefore shouldn't be associated with Not Just Bikes
>>
>>2699130
Everywhere but the American deserts, Alaska, and New England + Upstate New York are pretty decent places to live in.

>Deserts
Mostly reservation land or you're stuck in places that have very limited inventory

>Alaska
As above, but you also have no access to supplies.

>New England + Upstate
HIGH TAXES FOR NO GOOD REASON
If you work from home you can AVOID living in a high tax region.

Also special shout-out to Michigan and Illinois for being shitholes.
>>
>>2700291
-not op-
Pittsburgh area is on a very short list of cities I'd like to explore. Like a long weekend visit in August or September. I'm pretty content in the Milwaukee metro area.
>>
>>2701368
What's your opinion on internet access in low tax regions? (I'm assuming working from home means computer & internet type work. It's entirely possibe working from home means knitting sweaters, growing a specific small scale crop, etc)
>>
>>2700291
>It would be terrible if you’re not a student.
Not really lands affordable, you can get a big house for cheap and tye local town is lively while many small towns in this country are dead.
>>
>>2701997
Pittsburgh is not a bad place to live in but it’s not much fun to visit or explore. In fact, that could easily give the impression it’s worse than it is. The real charm of Pittsburgh is that it’s a down to earth old city with a bit of Americana and easy to live in and enjoy. The sort of young male bachelor city life is more attainable in Pittsburgh than anywhere else. Want the exposed brick industrial flat? The high rise with floor to ceiling windows? Want to live next to a neighborhood pub? Be close to an old WASPy country club? Go to sports games and get street food. All of that is easy and cheap in Pittsburgh. But there are really no draws for tourists. And it comes with other downsides too. The women aren’t that hot. R*editors are moving there. The weather sucks. Etc.
>>
>>2702096
I’m looking at land in the boroughs you’d want to be in and it’s pretty fucking expensive. Land outside is dirt cheap but that’s pretty removed. Also, my experience with college towns like this is that the downtown is lovely but it’s ALL undergrads, which sucks for friends and dating when you’re 25-45 single male. College towns are totally dominated by undergrads and grey haired professors, all of which are impenetrable to a single 20 or 30 something without an academic career.
>>
>>2702096
college towns are always more expensive just because they're a college town
>>
>>2699130
I wonder how much longer Hampton Roads will stay affordable
>>
>>2699130
Philly's awesome, but it's a city where you have to learn the city and get to know what parts are cool and what parts to avoid. Anywhere between Vine and South St is a solid start. After a couple years when you know the place better, choose the neighborhood you really want to be in.
>>2702017
Starlink works great unless there's a big storm, then you lose it for a few minutes.
>>2700291
Philly's walkable in the right neighborhoods. It's better than chicago in that you're basically either in the hood or not in the hood. Chicago on the other hand is just desolate stretches with gangbangers on every corner.
>>
File: motorcycle crash.jpg (82 KB, 960x640)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>2699138
Not Just Kikes has the worst channel on youtube. He has his head so far up his own ass it is incredible. I knew he was full of shit when he brought up motorcycles and called them bad.
Motorcycles and lane splitting reduce traffic and are far better for the earth than SUVs, but because they are a little loud he writes them off.
He is just a douche who doesn't understand why some people prefer motorized transportation, and doesn't know enough about the netherlands to realize that there are parts of the netherlands that look like rural Kentucky in terms of "stroads" and no sidewalks.
>>
>>2703067
Philly is a shithole. I lived there for a year.
>>
>>2699138
>why would you want to live some place you are 1 hour or more from basic needs like a grocery store?
Majority of blue areas are not 1 hour away from a grocery store. Besides, I’d rather take a comfy 15 minute drive with no traffic to a grocery story than deal with public transport. Good luck if you do you want to drive in a “walkable” city! Only if you enjoy hellish traffic and no parking. Gb2r
>>
>>2699130
>work from home
go fuck yourself why does it even matter then
>>
>>2705469
just wondering what's the best bang for your buck place for people in my circumstance
>>
>>2699269
This.

I live in Chicago near a grocery store and not having to worry about anything that comes with owning a car has put more years on my life.

If you insist on owning a car in a blue area I'd recommend the western suburbs of Chicago. With a car you'd get all the benefits of a suburb while also being able to drive into Chicago for events that tend to only come to big cities
>>
no, anon, nowhere on that map is blue is worth living in

i am amazed someone of your intellect could have the luxury of working from home
>>
>>2699130
michigan
>>
>>2699130
missouri
>>
>>2705505
>not having to worry about anything that comes with owning a car has put more years on my life.
Imagine having to take the bus to the hospital puking your guts up. Imagine not having freedom of movement. You have built yourself a prison of your local community and are limiting your economic opprotunities to that area.

Edmond Oklahoma has tons of 3 bed 2 bath beautiful homes for ~250k in very nice neighborhoods, and there is no property tax. You're in a subburb of OKC with plenty to do and near a big enough airport to go wherever you like.
>>
>>2707483
Imagine being a drain on society for no apparent reason
>>
>>2707487
You don't have to imagine, do you
>>
File: 1396996599821.jpg (74 KB, 534x800)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>2706471
god please no motherfucker stop. we're filled to the brim, every year more tracts of farmland turned asunder beneath a wave of subdivisions and strip malls/car washes. I fucking hate seeing how little we regard our *barely* intact wilderness. Every day I lament a meteor not erasing Detroit from this planet. That still wouldn't fix the dogshit people that relish the idea of paving over every fucking tree or piece of farmland.
>>
>>2707483
But then you have to live in Edmond Oklahoma. There's far more 'economic opportunity' in Chicago than OKC, even if I'm taking public transit regularly. Of course, I'm not a prisoner to my 'local community', I can rent a car at any time if I need to, and doing so a few times a year is much cheaper than owning a car.

I would absolutely hate to have to live somewhere where I have to drive to the grocery store.
>>
File: edmond.png (575 KB, 636x437)
575 KB
575 KB PNG
>>2707483
>very nice neighborhoods
lmao

This is a hellscape
>>
What's the next Grand Rapids? Is there any hope for Lansing or South Bend?
>>
>>2699130
If you work from home, then you can live anywhere. It just depends what you want in the place you live.

>>2699138
This chart's home prices, not how rural it is. There's major cities in light blue on this.
>>
>>2699130
My job went WHF a year ago so I spent months finding a place to move (since Denver is expensive af). We eventually settled on El Paso, which I like. Very safe, very cheap, and very un-diverse (the city is 83% hispanic). It's hot as hell during the summer, but not quite as bad as, say, Phoenix or Tucson - and the dry heat is way more tolerable than Florida, where I used to live. We bought a 1900sqft 3BR/2BA in the nicest part of the city for $365k. We're a 2hr drive from the mountains in NM if we want to get away from the heat during the summer. I wouldn't recommend it if you're a young person who is going to concerts and clubs and cultural events a lot, but that's not me. We've got 2 kids so most of the year we're just doing our daily routine, and then with the money we save living here we can go to France or whatever twice a year. It's a very family-friendly city and culture. I have seen very few homeless people compared to Denver, where every park was a tent city. People are nice, but if you're black or a hispanic-looking person who doesn't speak spanish you might have issues. Dating will be easy for you if you're white.
>>
>>2699130
Not really, because you're one layoff from getting stuck in somewhere with no jobs of the same caliber, so kiss your arbitrage goodbye. Since you're remote, you're now competing against the whole world. Basically anywhere nice is a college town, which isn't really any less expensive than the the city.

If you really like having a large plot (which you have to maintain btw), it can be nice. Maybe if you're a mid-late career consultant with a lot of clients in your contact list to fall back on.
>>
File: 1724077186211120.png (89 KB, 897x617)
89 KB
89 KB PNG
>>2699130
East of Reno and Sparks is a good area. Close enough to a relatively big city for medical and entertainment but far enough away from the crazies and homeless.
Plus Nevada doesn't tax income
>>
>>2699130
El Paso
>>
what da grey counties doin
>>
>>2699142
Great answer. Nice downtown, cheap cost of living, growing area, hot women.
>>2700291
>It would be terrible if you're not a student.
Slight correction. It's only terrible if you are over like 26 and in downtown. If you are similar in age to the students you can really get by fine, assuming you aren't a cashier at target or a townie that has lived there their whole life. Of course you can live further away from the downtown and the further you go the less it matters that you are 30+
>>2699390
You can find a nice studio apartment in Philly for 1-1.2k in an area where you only need a bike. Look on zillow east of broad street and north of Washington ave. Objectively one of the safer areas in the city too.
>>
I've lived in PA pretty much my whole life. Philly for a few years but mainly central PA. Have visited friends in Pittsburgh.

Honestly don't see why people would find it appealing. Sure you're not crazy far up North but the weather still sucks, for a good half of the year at least.

I'm trying to move South. But how far South is the question
>>
>>2713699
The south sucks because of the humidity, I'd rather live in the west somewhere.
>>
>>2699138
East coastie detected
People from the EST time zone can’t understand how empty the western half of the country is
>>
>>2712997
El Paso is nothing but dust and concrete overlooking abject poverty across the border. The ugliest city in America
>>
I love the Spearfish-Sturgis area of western South Dakota. There are some incredibly beautiful areas out there. Rapid city is a dump tho, don’t move to rapid city
>>
>>2711172
Isn't Reno on fire rn?
>>
>>2709750

Environmentalist cultists like you need to be lined up against a wall and shot. Why should people give up on the possibility of a good life because you want to maintain an aesthetic?
>>
>>2703856
Sounds like you lived in a shitty part then.
Five years in Rittenhouse here, philly's great, you just have to be in the right parts and stick to certain neighborhoods.
>>
>>2715031
>Rittenhouse
Kyle
>>
>>2699138
Why would I want to watch politically extremist propaganda just because you're too dumb to articulate the opinions your empty mind consumes from biased media?
>>
>>2715139
>politically extremist propaganda
That's Nick Johnson
>>
>>2714980
Nature has more intrinsic and extrinsic value than another subdivision of HFCS slurping, TikTok and Fox News guzzling goycattle.
>>
>>2699130
anywhere is worth living if its peaceful and you already have a wife
>>
>>2715402
Boomer take
>>
>>2714165
Northern California/Nevada and southern Oregon are pretty much always on fire late summer
>>
>>2715031
yep. people think the crime is spread out all over equally, its not! still very segregated

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.