[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: plp-product-card-h12.png (52 KB, 720x560)
52 KB
52 KB PNG
I bought a GoPro 12 Hero that I'd like to use to document my travels and save memories in video format. Was it a good idea? I'd like to buy a shoulder mount as well to make it easier to begin recording and have a POV angle. Did anyone buy a GoPro or a similar device for this kind of thing? Any recommendations on how to best use it?
>>
File: 1701774893661706.png (1 MB, 2880x1620)
1 MB
1 MB PNG
>>2699691
>gopro
Eh, they're on the decline, return it if you can but otherwise google the common problems of the camera and be prepared, and not surprised. Insta360 is the top dog at the moment, the OneRS is the go-to gear for a trad action camera.
>I'd like to buy a shoulder mount
Chest mount is better as a POV. Depending on the time and place, a head/helmet mount is also an option. Shoulder seems weird and haven't actually seen it done.
>Any recommendations on how to best use it?
What's your use case, chief? Are you shooting underwater, or a family vlog to LEGOLand, mountain biking?
>>
>>2699724
Thanks for your answer, anon.

> What's your use case, chief? Are you shooting underwater, or a family vlog to LEGOLand, mountain biking?

Well, I don't plan to use it a lot for very extreme things (so no diving nor snorkeling for example), perhaps the only instances would be biking/skiing but that'd be in rare cases.

Mostly, I just want to use it to film my travels, what I do in foreign countries, my interactions with people, this kind of things. I figured that having a small device such as a GoPro may be more practical than a phone for this of stuff, as you can easily switch it on/off with a simple press, and it's easier to carry as well. So yeah, I guess you can consider it a "vlogging-like" use.
>>
File: 1716052520702793.png (179 KB, 640x640)
179 KB
179 KB PNG
>>2699730
>I guess you can consider it a "vlogging-like" use.
Okay, lad. So there's 2 things you want to do here.... I'm going to cross off buying a new camera, but look into insta360 GO3 and DJI Osmo. Much, much lighter and fitting your use cases.

For your gopro accessories you can only really do 2 things, a chest mount like I suggested before... to conceal it, make it magnetic. So a magnetic case for the gopro and the chest mount with a powerful magnet goes under your clothes, and if you're wearing something baggier to hide the straps, you won't look like a suicide bomber. The 2nd option is a vertical grip, preferrably a gimbal so your footage is stable and you don't have to clutch a rectangular camera all day. If the gimbal has a tripod so you can position the camera somewhere and talk to it for a while, that's a nice bonus. Pic-rel is AOCHUAN 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal, I can't vouch for it's quality, just using it to illustrate a point.

>magnetic chest rig
>gimbal w/tripod
>>
>>2699691
I take it scoobing to make scoobtube videos that get no views.
>>
>>2699740
Thank you very much anon. Actually I may cancel my order for the GoPro and choose a DJI Osmo 3/4 instead, the prices are very similar but there seems to be much more pros in favor of the DJI Osmo. And thank you for your advice regarding how to wear such cameras, very useful.
>>
>>2699691
Yeah I have a YouTube channel and sell merch
>>
>>2699828
Happy to hear you've found something useful in my posts. I've always liked the form factor of the Osmo, it's very understated compared to shoving a phone in people's faces. Most people probably wouldn't think twice, they'll just think "it's some vlogging thing". I've shot a little and public and even with a lot of confidence, it's still rough the first few times. The more touristy the area, the easier though. Chances are most people there are already tourists, or are locals that are very used to it.
>>2699797
>>2699919
Feel free to link them if you're okay with the autistici of this board gawking at you.
>>
>>2700045
>Feel free to link them if you're okay with the autistici of this board gawking at you
I'm sure you're fine anon since you seem interested but nothing good would come if that. It's not a very big channel anyway
>>
>>2699740
Not the OP here but your suggestion has been extremely helpful since I'm also planning to buy a GoPro of some sort for my hiking trip to South America.
Can I ask however if the DJI Osmo is good for cold weather conditions as well as snorkeling (waterproof)? I'm too lazy to look at specs atm since I hate comparing to this and that until I realize they all have the same description. Money is also not a problem. Thanks!
>>
>>2700639
Hey, mate. Glad you're finding the thread and my responses helpful. So just to clear some ambiguity, and it's partially on me, "Osmo" is a series. To OP, I recommended the Pocket 3, which is the little handholding thing. That's not waterproof. You sound like you need an action camera. There's "Osmo Action" which is the same form factor as a gopro, but I wouldn't recommend it as I have 0 reviews on it. More traditional and rugged camera options which I do know about are the insta360 X4 or insta360 OneRS. They both have ~16ft waterproofeness but honestly anything by insta360+a dive case.
>>
This is such a useful thread. I think that I might have to get an Action 3 or 4 looking at what they're used for. I might just be walking around but the small cube looks much more appealing to carry around or mount on a bag compared to the Pocket series funnily enough.
Looks perfect for short videos and walking instead of pulling my phone or camera out every five seconds.
>>
>>2699691
why would you do that ever?
just go on vacation and have memories, maybe take a picutre or two wtf
>>
>>2702928
... well the purpose is to record memories dumbtard
>>
>>2699691
I don't know much about cameras but I was wondering is there a situation where I could easily take one off a "Chin-mount" attached to a motorcycle helmet and then attach it to like a selfie stick or something?
>>2699740
Is what I said ^ possible with the Insta360 GO3? Is there a better solution to what I'm talking about without buying 2 devices?
>>
>>2703005
Just take the mount and peel the double sided tape off and use really strong glue instead. I did this to attach one to my motorcycle jacket because I didn't like the helmet mounts.
Gopro also sells a selfie stick you could just buy that.
>>
File: 1709895559884884.png (860 KB, 1600x1600)
860 KB
860 KB PNG
>>2703005
>Insta360 GO3
Yes, but that's a small camera for everyday use or light adventures. I think you'd much more enjoy the Insta360 One RS. You can do crazy 360 shots easily and it's an actual action cam. Mounting options are aplenty. Chin mount sounds normal and easily done.
>>
>>2703033
>>2703170
Thanks for the advice you guys. I'm gonna check out that Insta One RS.
>>
I won a GoPro Hero 5 in a short film competition years and years ago and I've never touched the thing. I'm planning on using it when I go back to Europe in September. I've got a little handheld stick thing (not a Gimbal unfortunately) and some other accessories like a head strap.

Best of luck Anon!
>>
>>2702928
the police state encourages everybody to film everything at all times. what you get out of it could be social media acclaim and some monetization if you're lucky. what they get out of it is they get to spy on you and data mine for free.
>>
>>2702928
For zoomers the entire purpose of experiencing anything is to document it so you can show other people what an amazing experience you had
>>
Bought a GoPro 10 for like $200 off of Amazon and was extremely impressed with it. Had a great time playing with it during a trip to Vegas.

Probably because I'm an old fag that hasn't had a digital camera since the very first Canons came out almost twenty years ago. But I found the quality to be stunning and loved all the different features. Really everything I wanted in a fun little travel camera I could make neat high quality videos with.

I do recommend you buy one of those accessory kids with your camera as you'll be using selfie sticks, camera mounts, car mounts and all that good stuff a lot more then you think you will.

Also batteries on GoPro suck dick. So you're going to want one of those mobile chargers and to buy a couple extra batteries so you always have new batteries ready to go. At first it's annoying but once you get the feel of it, it's not a problem.

I also like the GoPro because its small and inconspicuous. Easy to hide and doesn't draw a lot of attention.

They're really cool, I'm no camera guru but I did a ton of research and I love mine.
>>
>>2703867

One other thing too is the GoPro shoots in super high quality video, so you're going to need a computer to handle that. I had to buy a new MacBook for mine.
>>
>>2703875
This. If you shoot 4k with a GoPro, you won't even be able to edit without a $1000 computer.

Your best results for video would be to buy a mechanical stabilizer for your cellphone. There are a ton of Amazon for around $100. Stabilized video when you're walking around is a must. The footage is unwatchable without it. It's also much easier to go through your clips afterwards and organize/upload/edit download things.

If you're shooting with an iPhone or newer Samsung, you'll likely get better footage with the phones anyway. They handle lighting differences a lot better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEfFk5GR5y0
>>
>>2699691
for surfing
>>
>>2699691
film surfing
>>
>>2699730
Keep in mind that every interaction with another person becomes fake (also gay) as soon as a camera is involved.
>>
what use is there for non-sporty people
>>
>>2699691
I don’t really shoot video while I travel, but I impulse-bought one of the waterproof GoPro models some years ago to use while snorkeling; have gotten some nice fish footage and shots from it. Not very expensive, easy enough to use. Satisfied.

On land, I mounted it on a bike helmet for a little while, to document bike rides; it was fun but felt pretty dorky. If I ever decided to vlog, I imagine I would use it, but I usually don’t feel comfortable shooting strangers. In many places I have visited, people really don’t like randoms taking their pictures; where I live, it’s technically illegal to post images of anyone online without their permission, although I don’t think it’s often enforced.
>>
>>2699797
Scoober, you’ve touched my heart with your passion for scuba diving :)
>>
>>2707153
>what use is there for non-sporty people
Um, anything you might want to get on video? Panoramic train ride scenery. Scenic drives. Picturesque plane landings or takeoffs. Trafficscapes. Markets. Concerts. Tours of impressive shopping malls. Animals. Sex tapes. Whatever. It’s a small dedicated camera that produces higher-def video than most phones and doesn’t take up storage space on another device. I have used mine for snorkeling and biking, but I am not sporty.
>>
>>2699691
Looked into GoPros and camera options this summer. The takeaway I got was GoPros are falling behind in quality and only useful if you're truly using them for very active stuff.
Unfortunate, but best general use camera appears to be iPhones..
Anything cheaper including actual cameras is either hobby retro photography type stuff or substantially lower quality.
>>
Some Costcos have a deal going right now for a Hero 11 for $99. Might be worth going up to Costco to check

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.