[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1685642959320718.jpg (130 KB, 837x750)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
Sup trv, /g/ here just got news we will be 100% remote starting 2025. Wondering what other nomads have done for travel. I'm worried about being stuck overseas with something that doesn't work or having to use a foreign PC. I've done some remote work when I travel as my boss basically makes coming into the office after thanksgiving to the new year optional, but planning to go full 12 months abroad.

So far looking to travel with
>Work laptop Inspiron 16 inch (we have have local admin and can install games though it's only an APU)
>work phone + personal/travel phone (still looking for something)
>65W 74 watt hour power back for power outages (heard power reliability is iffy in SEA at nights)
>wireless noise cancelling headset and mouse
>150w USB c wall multi port charger w/ plug adapters
>A9 tablet e-sim version w/ keyboard cover for all personal use
>multiboot usb drive w/ linux windows isos if I need reinstall
>9020m Optiplex at my parents place to remote desktop into

Wondering what you guys have recommendations for laptop bags or if forgetting anything. Mostly worried about my phone working abroad and how to keep my number active for 2FA. What other equipment do you guys bring along, thinking about getting a smart watch too just to help me stick on schedule with the time differences. Something you wish you remembered to bring, doing Japan first so I don't think it will be that hard to find electronics I forgot.
>>
Your proposed setup is both over- and underengineered at the same time.
>massive power supply
No need for that if you're using a laptop.
If you plant to go to places where there are regular blackouts for more than 2 to 3 hours you want to stay somewhere with a generator.
For anything shorter your laptop battery should be sufficient. Also be aware that communication networks suffer during power outages.
What I found useful is an extension cord which gives you more freedom from inconveniently placed outlets while also not requiring adapters for everything. The downside is that they only work with dumb adapters without a fuse, you can buy those easily locally.
>phone
I prefer one good dual SIM or eSIM phone so I don't need to constantly carry two phones. I do bring an old phone with a prepaid SIM for 2FA backup which I always leave in my accommodation.
If you don't have oncall shifts i.e. you only need to be available when you're working, then your work phone could easily be your backup phone.
>mixing personal and work stuff
I would never do personal stuff on my work computer even if it's okay with your employer, remember that the HR and IT departments are there to serve your employer and are not your friend.
For any stays longer than two weeks I bring my travel laptop, an older X-series Thinkpad for my personal computing needs. The removable battery allows me to put it in my checked luggage if needed. As a nice side effect, I could use it as a temporary work laptop in case the actual work laptop were to break down.
I don't have a tablet, so you might be able to do all of this on your tablet already.
>time zones
I always keep my work computer on the HQ time zone, so I don't have to worry about my calendar getting messed up.
I do have a cheapo travel alarm clock from a flea market on HQ time as well so I can always see the relevant time at a glimpse when the laptop display is off and even set an alarm to start/finish work. Anything else is local time.
>>
>>2705899
>No need for that if you're using a laptop.
A 74wh battery isn't that big lol, it's actually pretty useful if you have multiple devices
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Charger-Baseus-20000mAh-Charging/dp/B08THCNNCS/
I have that and for the price and ability to charge my thinkpad+cell at the same time fully, I've seen multiple power outages around typhoon season where that shit saved my ass. I love "power never goes out" until it does
>adapter
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Worldwide-Universal-Adaptor-Charging/dp/B01DJ140LQ/
Has surge protection fits every plug, just grab 2 for carry on and checked
>The removable battery allows me to put it in my checked luggage if needed
You're not suppose to put that in there regardless if it is attached to the device or not, also why would you separate a laptop and it's battery? A power bank that can charge your device via USB-C is fine and guessing OP's dell charges via USB-c hence the power bank

OP's setup is solid, for work just might want to run your work shit in a VM like workstation to keep everything separated. Makes backing it up and restoring it easy since you can just copy it to google drive or whatever once a month

Always carry 2 phones, there is nothing worse like getting shit because your work phone got left at a bar or some shit and now you have to figure out that quagmire
Set up a google voice number before leaving and call into it every now and then to keep it active. It's free and a good backup if you need it.
Set up dual clocks on windows and phones default back home, a smart watch is good because you will fall asleep one day and a smart watch is a good "oh shit" safety
Get a mouse pad because in asia some times they have shit glass desks, get a portable small fan for the airbnb that 'has v gud A/C sirs', bring an HDMI cable to hook up to any TV for second monitor usage

Last but not least, get a good fucking backpack to protect your shit. Always keep your work essentials with you in your carryon
>>
>phone number
My phone number is tied to a $3 per month postpaid contract, as long as I pay the number stays alive.
I almost never use that number abroad because I usually get a local SIM, for shorter visits I may buy an eSIM with or without a phone line instead.
>remote desktop & NAS
I used to have an onprem setup at a relative's place as well, but quickly realised that maintaining it from a distance is too much of a nuisance, so after a two weeks outage while being on the other side of the world I decided to go for a dedicated VPS. The main use is NextCloud and Jellyfin, but I also use it for basic webhosting, backup and as a decent VPN for stuff like banking.
I do have a separate cheap seedbox, so I don't care about circumventing geoblocks.
>headsets
Good headphones are recommended, but I also bring some basic earbuds because sometimes you get tired of wearing the same headset or you want to be more aware of your surroundings on the move.
>gaming
The newest games I play are around 20 years old so pretty much any device can be used for them.
>>
>>2705899
>Good news
Go fuck yourself. When are employers pulling the fucking plug on this dork diaspora? I’m fucking tired of hearing about it. Fuck you all
>>
Oh right
BRING A CAT 5 CABLE
Plenty of places in Asia at least from my experience often at the nicer airbnb/hotels have a RJ45 port somewhere on the desk or a router. A 3m cable can drastically reduce your latency on some of those shitty modems or be the fix to wifi issues. I am at an Airbnb right now that has some piece of shit that only broadcasts 2.4 and wifi goes around ~5mbps on a good day with meh packet reliability, cable up and get 100/100 minimal latency. like 2 dollars on amazon will save you an ass load of potential troubleshooting or hotspot juggling
>>
>>2705910
>You cannot use your proposed adapter for an extension cord with multiple outlets, you can only use cheap ones without a surge protector for that.
>why would you separate a laptop and it's battery
So you can put the laptop in the checked luggage and the battery in the hand luggage with the work laptop.
Remember, it's a cheap used laptop with an encrypted disk so I don't care too much in case it gets lost or stolen.
>>
>>2705917
>So you can put the laptop in the checked luggage and the battery in the hand luggage with the work laptop.
I don't understand the logic of putting a laptop in checked luggage, way more possible for luggage to get lost or accidentally picked up by someone at the airport mistaking it as their own. I mean if you don't care then fine but it seems like creating an unnecessary risk especially since checked luggage gets tossed and such, enjoy a broken screen being a real possibility each flight.

An extension cord is a cool idea but most laptop cables are at least 3m from my experience, are you really working that far from an outlet for that long? I usually just plug in my laptop, then use the side USB ports on the adapter for my phone or whatever I don't care about quick charge with.
>>
One final thing if you are looking for a personal phone. As much as I hate the brands, look for Samsung or Apple devices. I have no idea why but some apps in Asia specifically just refuse to work or install from the Play/App store unless I have one of those.

I to this day don't understand why even with an NFC phone, my Poco X3 NFC just won't work with some apps in certain countries.
>>
File: 1707624228411.jpg (3.34 MB, 4000x3000)
3.34 MB
3.34 MB JPG
>>2705313
A multitool is necessary for all digital nomads. I opted for the cybertool 41 and modded it appropriately
>>
>>2705910
>20,000mwh power bank for laptop
wow it will buy me less than half an hour on my zephyrus 14, so amazing
>>
>>2705937
>Zephyrus 14
>76WHrs, 4S1P, 4-cell Li-ion
Seeing how the external battery is 74WHrs it would give you nearly a full recharge assuming charging off. If on might give you around double the battery life depending.
>>
>>2705313
get a mac
>>
>>2705313
pager
>>
>>2706496
No offense, anon, but I'm not a homosexual
>>
>>2706496
>productivity
>mac
Lmao you dumb faggot
>>
>>2708061
>muh battery life!
>>
>>2705313
If you're company actually allows you to digital nomad hopping countries they either are ignorant to the tax / immigration laws or just don't care...

But if that's the case then you have it extremely easy.

I'm 2 months in doing this without my company knowing and I literally just have one GL-inet travel router, Ethernet cable, work laptop, charger, mouse and my iPhone nothing more.

No work phone required just a 2fa code generator. Use laptop mic and webcam. Keep my real home number as my sim and buy an esim for each country. Don't need my phone number for 2fa anyway. Have to have my laptop set to local time back home anyway just in case.

Works like a breeze, just make sure you're on top of visa lengths and don't overstay and try not to advertise you're working in co working spaces.

Currently in Thailand, then Vietnam, then Taiwan, then back home.
>>
>>2705313

It doesn't even matter what you bring. Somebody will steal it and you'll have to replace it.
>>
>>2705935

lots of places where they won't let you take that on a train, since the luggage isn't checked.
>>
>>2708188
>they either are ignorant to the tax / immigration laws or just don't care...
Why do retards always bring this up?

IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU AREN'T PERFORMING WORK FOR A LOCATION OR CUSTOMER IN THE COUNTRY OF VISITATION.

Absolutely no one her makes anything CLOSE to what would get a second glance from the IRS assuming you don't try that supid 'tax free' exemption loophole some retards do. A company is not responsible or would care unless they specifically put it on the books you need to go to X country for work. Digital Nomad is fine, hell work away gets away with it, no one is going to stop you or care unless you self admit to people "OH YEAH I AM A DIGITAL NOMAD LOL CAN I GET FREEBIES". Then people will start looking. Probably the worst thing you have to worry about abroad is jury duty summons
>>
>>2705313
A VR headset. I got a Quest 3 (I do not recommend, Quest 2 has PC cable support..their newer model doesnt, wtf Meta...) and am eyeing a Bigscreen Beyond VR set (months wait time for ordering/shipping though).

Hell, I play it in my hostel pod bed sitting Indian style (cant crouch so I cant pick up anything off the floor...they really need a crouch button (for wheelchair people too).

>Mostly worried about my phone working abroad and how to keep my number active for 2FA.
My Verizon international plan works perfect but its expensive, use local SIM for surfing and shit.
>smart watch
Lol, I just use a bunch of clocks on my phone's homescreen.
>doing Japan first
WARNING.

JAPAN IS *NOT* TECHNOLOGY FOCUSED.

They covet old tech and socially, across the whole country, reject new tech...they are not "Neo-Tokyo" (yet...that started two months ago and will take 40 years to take full effect), that is propaganda (was there a couple months ago).

Also, get the longest USB cord for your phone, often the outlet is no where near the bed.
>>
>>2708343
You clearly have never worked ever lmao.

My company has strict allowances of only 20-30 days in a country at a time and there is a lot of formal sign off that needs to happen before you're allowed to leave. They have tax obligations to pay to that country if their business is operating there.

IT departments have things in place to literally flag up connections with IP addresses coming from countries they do not operate in. Hence why you need to use a VPN to tunnel all your traffic back home.
>>
File: 1724349198728700.jpg (435 KB, 2400x2400)
435 KB
435 KB JPG
>>2708448
>my company
I work in IT and all of us work abroad, don't self incriminate dumbass.

>IT departments have things in place to literally flag up connections with IP addresses coming from countries they do not operate in. Hence why you need to use a VPN to tunnel all your traffic back home.

I track them I bypass them stop working for a F500 and learn to have trust in your workplace.

try working more than helpdesk
>>
File: 1695679894380.jpg (1.46 MB, 2268x3175)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB JPG
>>2708202
Like where? I purposely went with a victorinox because it doesn't have a locking blade. if anyone gives me shit, I'll just tell them to fuck off, it's a multitool. I could understand getting some shit in England for a leatherman, but this SAK is UK approved. I use the driver more than you would imagine
>pic related, another tool I travel with
>>
>>2708202
>lots of places where they won't let you take that on a train
I've been all around Europe and the only trains with security were in Spain, and that's just a quick bomb check
>>
I guess I’ll post here since it’s related: has anyone done online uni courses abroad? I am looking at teaching in Vietnam while doing my masters part time. Do unis give a shit about foreign IP addresses? Are internet/power outages common in SEA?
>>
>>2709238
I'm sure there is some country that has a ban on all knives, but as long as the blade isn't locking and it's under 3 inches, it should be fine in 99% of countries
>>
>>2708542
Travel long enough and you will get your tools confiscated, even if they don't have a "locking blade"
I had my Leatherman Style PS, which I bought for travel because it has NO BLADE and fits the TSA travel guidelines, confiscated by Thailand airport security because it had a scissor that's 0.5cm long. I argued with the security moron for 2 minutes, and he said no, a scissor is still a blade and pointed to a printout that had a picture of a giant scissors on it. I told him it's TSA approved, i've been to multiple countries with this multitool, and he said he doesn't give a shit, these are thailand rules. I lost my $60 multitool.
Later I had a multi-head screwdriver set confiscated in China because screwdrivers are banned from travel in china. Even though the screwdriver was 10cm long, nope not allowed.
>>
>>2711909
I wouldn't try to fly with a multitool, obviously. even if it is advertised as TSA friendly, you know how security is
as for china, that's wild you can't have screwdrivers. they have weird rules, and I have no plans to return there anytime soon
>>
Multitools are such a niche thing I am not sure why you would bring one unless you are actually incapable of simply searching for a tools store or electronics shop that will have them. I get some areas can be remote but how often do you need a custom multi tool to replace some shit in your laptop/device?
>>
#1 thing for DN
Chime or Wyse card so that you aren't buttfucked with shit exchange rates. Just keep your main money in some big name bank and transfer over in increments.
>>
>>2711950
>why would anyone who is constantly moving from place to live, and lives out of a backpack/suitcase, need something as useless as a pair or scissors or a small pocket knife?
>>
>>2713191
A digital nomad is almost entirely going to be working somewhere with stable infrastructure and internet. This basically means they are guaranteed to have some place that sells any one of those things at a hardware store, computer store, or some supermarket/mall even.

Let's be real, most digital nomad people aren't going to take their work laptops out to the mines of svalbard, they're going to be based in a relatively sized town where probably the hotel staff or airbnb has some of those laying around.
>>
File: 1704547293267.jpg (84 KB, 1000x1000)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>2713199
it's not just for fixing your computer, retard. it is MULTIpurpose. I use my pocket knife almost daily for the smallest tasks. Am I supposed to go out and buy a new pair of scissors in every city/country I travel to? you don't have to get a big multitool, but you should have something as a full-time nomad. even if I were traveling with carry-on alone, I would probably bring something like pic related
>>
>>2713203
>it's not just for fixing your computer, retard. it is MULTIpurpose.
Huh thought this was a Digital Nomad travel thread, besides there aren't that many tasks
>I use my pocket knife almost daily for the smallest tasks
Oh fuck you're one of those insufferable faggots. Never mind lmao. I hate running into faggots like you at a hostel where I am just going to use my hands to open something or just go for the utensils for something or hell just ask the front desk for scissors... "HEY BRO I GOT MY KNIFE? JUST USE THIS BRO? DON'T YOU HAVE ONE?" Yeah dude lemme use that thing that's been in your sweaty pockets used on who knows what and washed on some random date...

Most people aren't going to bother stowing something like that and especially not digital nomads when other tools readily available can do the task. Only 'multitool ' I need is picrel
>>
>>2713219
>ask the front desk for scissors
KWAB
a pocket knife, scissors, and a bottle opener are absolutely essential digital nomad travel gear, faggot. i also recommend a headlamp, raincoat, and rock climbing pants
>>
>>2709398
>>2709238
>>2708542
I can think of China and Laos. But I think any country whose railroad is built (and partially owned) by China uses the same security rules. So that might include Indonesia and some countries in Africa.
>>
>>2705313
Get a waterproof carry on size bag for SEA. Waterproof is a must.

Phone with multiple physical sim card slots. You will need it for buying cheap local SIM that doesn't have esim option
>>
File: 1703565693343.jpg (158 KB, 1080x1080)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>2714208
>physical sim
this meme needs to end
>>
>>2708202
Laos is the only country that I've heard is extremely strict with knives in baggage for their Chinese-operated rail line. I had no issues whatsoever in Thailand, Malaysia, the Philippines or Taiwan.
>>
File: 1712098338220645.jpg (56 KB, 326x326)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>2714220
Why? Physical sim is nice as I can pop it into my PC and roll or put it back into my phone.
>inb4 he doesn't have a laptop with a sim slot

hohohohoho
>>
>>2708343
>I AM A DIGITAL NOMAD LOL CAN I GET FREEBIES
what do you mean by this?
>>
>>2716502
There are some tax loopholes that if you are out of the US working for X days you can apply for tax exemption. There are also some tourist programs that are trying to boost tourism post covid offering some freebees
>>
Tablet with Keyboard case is a must. The number of times I've had issues with power outages is insane in travel especially around SEA at night when I am working
>>
File: 1422137269255.png (38 KB, 900x900)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
Just accepted my first DN job. 4 hours a day (20 hours a week) for $2,100 pay.

Now I'm wondering how it'll affect me out there. Like I want to get out there and explore. Now I'll have to carry my MacBook everywhere with me. Or just do my work in the morning but 4 hours leads me to 1pm.
>>
>>2716511
>There are some tax loopholes that if you are out of the US working for X days you can apply for tax exemption

It's not a loophole. It's a legitimate rule that I've used as a conventional expat. It's even on the IRS website. No idea if it's applicable to digital nomads though.
>>
>>2719169
No shit anon, it's pretty clear that it's talking about digital nomads who attempt to cheat the IRS by this tactic. I remember some anon having a meltdown on /trv/ a while back who was convinced all he had to do was remain outside the USA 180 days and he could be tax exempt regardless if his job warranted travel or not.

Prior to Covid there were people skirting under the radar but they came down hard as shit on that now.
>>
Just got a remote job. Haven't started yet don't know how secure things will have to be. Really hoping I can do the whole job with wifi and a laptop. Please. Oh please.
>>
File: 1713430437317.webm (1.23 MB, 384x384)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB WEBM
>>2711909
oi mate, you got a license for that screwdriver?
>>
>>2705313
>Digital Nomad travel equipment
... a laptop? and a 5 years stemfag degree, have fun with that
>>
>>2705313
your sim card
>>
>>2721456
esim* lol silly me
>>
Sounds like a plan

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.