[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Expect some downtime in the next few minutes for upgrades!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.jpg (101 KB, 800x600)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
For long trips do you guys do laundry at laundrymats or in your hotel shower or just bring enough cloths to last the entire time?
>>
>>2705880
Most, like 99% of any half way decent hotels have laundry services or at the very lease machines on site; same goes for hostels. Do you not just ask the front desk where the washer dryer is?

>laundry at laundrymats
I use these because I can get basically all my clothes done in one go for a minimal waste of time and effort. Throwing in all my shit for <5 dollars with a place with industry grade wash/dryer is pretty nice.

> just bring enough cloths to last the entire time?
If I am just doing a week trip I'll just pack enough clothes
>>
Depends on the price of the hotel laundry. cheaper countries usually offer laundry services for a small fee. Some hotels offer free services but it’s limited by weight/quantity.

I’ve dropped off clothes at a laundromat. Keep in mind they don’t care about your clothes. So don’t give them anything delicate or valuable.

I wear my clothes multiple times as long as they don’t get stained or really sweaty. I pack enough for a week on all trips. I never travel more than 3 weeks.
>>
I haven't washed my own clothes (in a hotel bathroom, like OP mentioned) in a long time. I usually take my clothes to a self-serve laundry. It doesn't cost a lot, and it cuts down a lot of the labor.
Sometimes I'll even take my clothes to a full-service laundry if it's available. Costs more than self-serve, but it saves even more time, allowing me greater flexibility to actually explore.

I usually pack 7 days' worth of clothing, and do my laundry once a week.
>>
>>2705896
>I usually pack 7 days' worth of clothing
This 5-7 is a reasonable number depending on the environment. Find some place, throw in your clothes to some 20kg washer, grab some beers over the 1-2 hours it takes, roll up clothes, and secure them with rubber bands.
>>
I pack 3 identical Hawaiian shirts and 3 identical cargo shorts and then 12 t-shirts, 12 underwear’s, 11 pairs of socks. And a big box of condoms and lube.
>>
>>2706017
I also pack one pair of croc’s and one pair of sperry’s
>>
>>2706017
I also pack a dilator, dildo and a dongle
>>
>>2706017
what's the hat situation
>>
>>2705880
i always wash my clothes in my room's sink with some soap and then i air dry them voila undies socks tops whatever
>>
>>2705880
Poorfagging in Colombia on my first overseas trip, I did the bathroom laundry bit, as laundry services are very expensive there compared to the cost of everything else.
Some places in the world have an inexplicable scarcity of laundry services. Or maybe it's pouring rain all day. When you carry extra clothes, you'll never be forced to don yesterday's T-shirt.
>>2705895
>they don't care about your clothes
This applies to the hotel staff. Laundry businesses absolutely do care about satisfying their customers, though in northern Mexico I did have issues with sloppy service several times. In Thailand, coin-op washing machines are everywhere, but dryers are much less common...so unless you've got some spare shoelaces to tie together across your hotel room, make sure to find a dryer before you wash.
>wear my clothes multiple times
You can get away with this in a dry climate, but in a humid tropical climate, the smelly bacteria multiply on your clothes no matter what. They will go dormant after a night in the A/C, you won't notice any bad odor, but as soon as you go out in the muggy weather, the B.O. factor gonna rocket up. Of course, if you are used to being a smellyfag, you're not gonna notice your own stink.
>>2705896
>saves even more time
The main concern with full-service is that your clothes may not be ready until noon the next day, or even later...a PITA if you are planning on checking out and moving on. However, some full-service laundries really go above and beyond in caring for your clothes. Neatly pressed and folded, pleasantly scented, and ready with a smile. Worth a few extra baht.
>>
>>2705880
Always laundromat. Except for countries that have not yet invented this awesome technology. Then it's always a pain in the fucking ass because hotel laundry service is usually a rip-off and picking up a full service out in town can be a problem with awkward hours and locations.
>>
>>2706122
>voila

i think you mean WALLA! you fairie faggot
>>2706117
USMC VIET NAM VETERAN cap
>>
>>2706128
>The main concern with full-service is that your clothes may not be ready until noon the next day, or even later...a PITA if you are planning on checking out and moving on.
There were a few times (more than zero, less than three) where I couldn't use full-service laundry due to time constraints. Fortunately, the solution is very simple.

A) Just re-use some worn clothes and tough it out for a day
B) Do self-serve laundry instead of full-service the day before you check out
C) Buy new clothes

I've done C before. The night before I checked out, I went down to the street market and bought myself a souvenir t-shirt, boxers, and a pair of socks for a negligible amount of cash. That was my change of clothes for the following morning.
>>
>>2705880
I travel full time and carry about a weeks worth of clothes, the absolute best option is to have a 1-machine washer/dryer combo in my Airbnb so I can just toss the clothes in and come back a few hours later and they're done and dry. I'll go to laundrymats if I have too, I'm way too fucking lazy to hand wash anything and even hang drying is pushing it.
>>
Just make a hot shower and wash with your clothes while in it with some soap it saves time and money. Using a laundry mat is what poors do and you'll get bedbugs. It works pretty much for any holiday
>>
>>2706283
>Just make a hot shower and wash with your clothes while in it with some soap, is what poors do
ftfy
>>
>>2705880
depends on the country, type of vacation and duration

when I travel for work, I never pack more than 4 shirts
I need to be mobile, pack up quickly and in some cases carry my duffle bag throughout the day
(most) hotels can do your laundry overnight, although it's kinda expensive (business expense so I don't care)

most of my casual clothes are Merino or Nylon - which you can both wear for multiple days
so I typically onebag
unless it's somewhere remote or extreme weather (extremely cold or rainy for example) then pack exactly for the time

but in most of the world, laundry services are easily accessible and affordable
literally all big Asian cities have laundry pick up / delivery services
so you don't even lose Time
>>
>>2706286
Mutt detected enjoy your curry smelling clothes
>>
>>2706326
>he unironically says this while washing his clothes like a third worlder
2/10 bait made me respond
>>
Depends.
In Vietnam its just incredible, you just drop off your clothes at the front desk and you'll have them back later that day fresh as a daisy, very cheap. Everywhere I stayed across multiple weeks had this. The rest of SEA is mostly reasonable but not on this level. Places typically do have laundries for a reasonable price.
East Asia is much more hit and miss. I've found a strange lack of options in some cities/towns which have a lot of tourists. On the other hand, some very popular destinations do have laundries in hotels, but 1-3 machines for a hotel that has over a hundred rooms.
I just wish there was more consistency in general, its irritating not knowing what to expect and finding yourself waiting forever to use the damn machine and then waiting around for it to finish because you know some mutt will throw them on the ground if you're not there when they finish.
>>
>>2706283
>you'll get bedbugs
Is this a real thing now?
>>
>>2705880
shower
>>
Seriously. rent an Airbnb with a washing machine every 4th day of the trip. Or just wash your clothes in the tub or sink and hang them. That's what 90 percent of people do.
>>
im going to japan for 2 weeks and plan to pack enough clothes for a week and then use a laundrymat or if the apa hotel has a service I might use that.
>>
>>2706283
You're the one discouraging spending and encouraging manual labor, yet you believe anyone who does the opposite is poor. Get your head checked.
>>
>>2706283
Wringing clothes out by hand is a royal PITA. It's the #1 reason why washing machines were invented in the first place.
>>
>don't do laundry for a week
>try to use hotel laundry
>too many clothes, dryer takes 3 separate cycles to dry everything
Kind of defeats the whole "less time spent washing clothes" thing
>>
>>2706889
>throw clothes in the laundry thing
>go back up to room
>do shit on laptop or just rest from long week of adventuring
>swap shit as needed
lrn2multitask
>>
>>2706128
I had some clothes torn in Indonesia. It was a local laundromat. Cheap but kind of disappointed how they handled some of the clothing. Never had an issue with hotels.

If you’re traveling to a hot and humid area. Dress appropriately. Wool, linen, bamboo, or synthetic material (ie hiking shirts). Light colors. You won’t smell as long as you shower once or twice a day and apply deodorant. I wear those materials on any part of my itinerary that requires a lot of physical activity. In cities I’ll wear my normal clothes and bamboo shirts. Since it’s easier to shower 2-3 times a day. Boxers and shorts combo keeps your dick and balls aerated. Wool socks if you’re wearing shoes or sandals/slides if that’s your thing. I still only pack for a week.
>>
I just traveled for over two months and I wore merino wool almost exclusively. Socks, boxers, shirts, and a pair of pants that was like 70% merino wool.
Like the anon above said, if you just shower multiple times a day (depending how hot it is) you can go multiple days without doing laundry. And when I did have to do laundry I just did it myself in the bathroom sink or shower.
Pro tip: if you're using the sink, get one of those rubber stoppers that prevents the water from draining so you can soak your clothes, oh and I definitely recommend getting one of those travel clotheslines. Makes drying your clothes a lot easier. That's what I liked about merino wool, stuff doesn't smell like cotton and it dries fast
>>
>>2705880
I don’t take very long trips anymore (I get sick of living out of a bag at about five weeks, max), but I have done it all—enough clothes for a whole trip, laundromat/laundry service (where it’s available, which is many places, I would always rather hand my clothes to someone who will wash and fold them for me to pick up later than to hang around putting them in machines myself), sink washing (which sucks), hotel laundry (disproportionately expensive in a lot of places but sometimes the only option), etc. I have also purchased new clothes on the road at least a few times, although usually accidentally—whoops, ran out of underwear/socks, I’ll grab a pack.

My first choice is to pack ~1 week of fresh clothes (plus a couple of extra t-shirts and underwear), and have access to laundry wherever I am staying. I most often stay in apartments now, and I choose ones with washing machines whenever possible. Trousers or shorts I will usually wear at least a few times before washing, shirts much more rarely (I’m a sweaty man), but sometimes. I’ve done week-long trips with a single pair of jeans, but the risk of spilling curry into my lap or falling into mud isn’t nothing, so there’s risk there. I never want to smell bad or look visibly dirty.
>>
>>2706889
You never know when a dryer is gonna be a barely functional piece of shit. Spreading damp clothes out in the room A/C usually dries them out overnight.
>>
>>2707100
>>2706926
These anons speak the truth, merino wool everything for travel. Sink wash, dries fast, doesn't stink up that quick. 3 pairs of socks,underwear,tshirts. plus what you wear. easy to travel a whole month out of a backpack.
>>
>>2705880
I keep hearing people say "laundrymat". It's laundromat!
>>
File: 20240709_181317.jpg (3.03 MB, 4080x3060)
3.03 MB
3.03 MB JPG
>>2705880
Laundromats.
Best choice, cheapest. I actually make sure there is a laundromat near the hotel, too.
I put my shit in the laundromat, look for dinner nearby and pass the time there, only going back to put the shit in the dryer when it's all done.
>>
>>2706017
Based CIA American
>>
Stop being poor. Decent hotels will have laundry service
>>
>>2711633
Your assumptions only reveal how little you have ventured outside your westernized globohomo bubble of standardized services. There are many lovely little hotels that don't have laundry machines.
>>
>>2711633
Chinky chinky dumb as bricks
Leave this board and suck some dicks
>>
>>2711633
If you stick to those types of hotels then you will never leave urban and resort areas.
>>
>>2711633
Stop being poor. Just buy new clothes if you need something clean to wear.
>>
Do hotels and laundromats typically have detergent and shit for you to use or do you guys just go to the store and buy some cheap detergent?
>>
>>2711879
Not everywhere is the same, but I promise you that you don't have to buy your own detergent at the store. The laundromat will either provide it to you for free, or they will sell it to you in portions that are sufficient for one load of laundry.
>>
File: crJ38.jpg (183 KB, 640x374)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>2711882
To add to this, there are places that will do both. The free stuff is usually very basic, while the sold stuff is higher quality or for specialized purposes.

You don't usually buy these from a person. They're usually sold through vending machines or some kind of automated system most of the time.
>>
>>2711855
New clothes aren't clean, they need to be washed first.
>>2711853
Hotels have ongoing laundry needs, so have laundry facilities and staff that they're more than happy to sell to you, again, stop being poor.
>>2711838
>>2711652
Disgusting poors.
>>
>>2712228
>New clothes aren't clean
Not where I shop. If you don't know how to buy new clothes that have been pre-cleaned, then you're just as poor as the rest of them. Dirty chink piece of shit.
>>
>>2705880
I used a hotel's coin op laundry for the first time on a road trip this summer. Everything went better than expected but I probably wouldn't have risked it at a lower class hotel.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.