[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I'm planning a US road trip in October. The route is roughly Washington D.C., Chicago, Seattle, Los Angeles, Florida, New York and back to D.C. I plan to sleep in the car for most of it.

Do you have any tips for this? For example, are there strange regulations for items needed in the States that the rental car company won't put in the car as standard? Is there a nationwide fitness chain that you can use for parking and showers? Where can I shop cheaply, Dollar General? I’m not on a budget but I don’t want to spend more than necessary. I’m an ex soldier so my standards are not too high and I’m frugal. I hear 2good2go is a thing. Any tips are welcome.
>>
>>2708415
>. I plan to sleep in the car for most of it.
>Do you have any tips for this?
lol failing before starting
>are there strange regulations for items needed in the States that the rental car company won't
enjoy dumping nearly 5k on this shit
>Is there a nationwide fitness chain that you can use for parking and showers?
planetfitness for 10 a month is worth it, anytime fitness vets get a discount
>Where can I shop cheaply, Dollar General?
What the fuck are you on EBT? No go to walmart, you can get a foot long sub and stuff for about 6 bucks
> I’m not on a budget but I don’t want to spend more than necessary
then either
A) use amtrack and greyhound. The empire builder is your friend, amtrak sells flex tickets too
B) buy a car because the cost of a rental and insurance will be that much especially if you plan to put that many miles on it
> I’m an ex soldier so my standards are not too high and I’m frugal. I hear 2good2go is a thing. Any tips are welcome.
See point A also never mention you are a vet doing this or you'll be a bum
>>
So that's a minimum of 7,712 miles. If your car gets good gas mileage and you get 28 miles to the gallon, your gas budget at $5/gallon is $1,377, but probably more. And that would be 113 hours of driving. You would have to drive 8 hours per day for 14 days.

If you live in DC, you could fly to Europe for $500 roundtrip and spend a solid month riding high speed trains to half of Europe and spend less money with 1/4th the travel time and hassle. And you could stay in cheap Airbnbs and hotels.
>>
>>2708415
I used to live in my car doing Grubhub deliveries and dry camping in Walmart and hotel parking lots.

>Is there a nationwide fitness chain that you can use for parking and showers?
I don't know, I never got into the gym showers meme. I didn't shower often, because you normally don't need to—you'll smell fine for about 3/4 of the month just changing clothes every few days.
>Where can I shop cheaply, Dollar General?
I did most of my shopping at Walmart and gas stations/travel stops. Travel stops are definitely worth it to drop into and see what kind of novelty items they have that normal convenience stores wouldn't. They're like bazaars in those dungeon gauntlet games where you can get unique and OP items.

>I hear 2good2go is a thing
I've never used it before, but if you want to go this route you could also do a web search for local kitchens and other free food resources that are usually meant for the homeless. Living in the car is technically [sheltered] homeless, so it wouldn't be inappropriate for you.

>are there strange regulations for items needed in the States that the rental car company won't put in the car as standard?
Haven't experienced any personally. They usually give you all the documents you need like insurance or gas information for when you return the car. They probably won't provide you told to repair the car either. Also, they will probably not tell you that it will be a [expensive] extra fee to return the fee at another location from the one you rented at. They calculate from the distance you are from the original rental location. It can get unreasonably expensive if you end up returning the car in another state. They might also charge you for the difference in miles from when you rented the car to when you dropped it off. Although I don't think they usually do that.

>Do you have any tips for this?
Sure, as a seasoned dry camper/boondocker, I have refined experience on navigating, safety, different cities, sleeping, etc.
>>
>>2708635
(Same Anon)
I hit the word limit. I'll have to continue this post later. You can also ask me anything if you want.
>>
>>2708417
>greyhound
kek are you trying to kill OP? Car camping or even fucking hitchhiking is probably safer than greyhound
>>
>>2708415
How long are you actually planning to do this trip? I have driven from the west coast to Florida. It took roughly 5 days each way driving about 10 hours a day including stops for food, gas and small bits of sightseeing.
Seattle to San Diego would take 2 minimum days if you're stopping to sleep. Plan on 5 days if you make a stop at say Astoria and then at Crater Lake. It took me 3 days each way starting at about noon the first day and driving all day the 2nd and 3rd.
You're also skipping Colorado, Utah and other southwestern states that are where road trips make the most sense and where roadside scenery is Amazing like in your pic. Driving through the upper midwest, or across Texas, is boring as hell.
I recommend at least planning for some camping. You'll get tired real fast of being fucked with when you're asleep in the car. Your food options will be absolute slop too unless you do some food preparation (or go to higher priced restaurants).
Walmart btw allows you to sleep in your vehicle, at some locations (not all because some cities/property owners prohibit it). This is a good option of last resort as the parking lot usually has some kind of security or at least night shift workers around.
>>
Minivan and SUV vagabond here, I've spent roughly 1000 nights vagabonding in America over the past decade. Both vehicles big enough for my 6'1" self to stretch out on a mattress or mattress pad. Paid for a place to sleep roughly ten of those nights.
>>2708415
Any reason why you have to visit all these big cities instead of doing the sensible thing? i.e. driving back roads, visiting small towns and spending your nights free camping out in the boonies.
>shower
Pour a gallon jug of water over your head somewhere nobody can see your bare ass. It's that simple. Sometimes it's tough to find a bottle filling station, spigot, water fountain, etc. so you should always carry several gallons of water with you.
>sleep in the car
Get a tent and an airbed. Don't try to crunch up inside a car.
>shop
Buy groceries wherever. Buy a propane campstove, a saucepan, a scrubber and some dish soap; cook your own meals. Get used to eating entire packages of perishable items at a time; fresh produce is usually good for a couple days, fruit often longer. I've never had a fridge or cooler while vagabonding. Some farms may sell unwashed eggs, which will keep at room temperature. Meat is really difficult with the risk of contamination...I either eat canned meat or go vegetarian.
>>2708417
$10/month PF memberships are only one location. You pay a lot more for nationwide access. But PF branches are always in suburbs of sizable cities, and why the hell would anyone want to spend their time in such soulless, traffic-clogged, vagabond-hostile places?
>amtrak
If OP does indeed want to focus on visiting the major cities in all the various corners of America, Amtrak makes a lot more sense than renting a car. Only catch is, you have to go from New Orleans to North Carolina and then south to Florida, as the Gulf Coast passenger rail service has not been restored since Hurricane Katrina wrecked it (nevermind Biden's huge Amtrak investment).
>>2708528
This isn't Europe, gas is $3/gallon in most of America.
>>
>>2708417
>buy a car
Not a bad idea, it'll liberate you to take your time seeing the country. 150 miles a day is ideal in my book for a journey of true vagabond exploration, though you'll go farther in the boring parts of the country. Of course, you run the risk of buying a $2000 shitbox that will give you mechanical issues along the way, but that's just part of the adventure. Pack so you can abandon it and hitchhike to the nearest bus/train station if necessary.
>>2708635
>you'll smell fine for about 3/4 of the month
Oh, you're one of those reeking vagabonds, LMAO. So many vagabonds - and Americans in general - have awful B.O. and don't notice it. Wash off and change clothes every other day, that's my rule. Some parts of the country have lovely clean rivers and lakes perfect for bathing, like Michigan. Some don't, and you'll have to go the gallon jug route.
>>2708652
>planning for some camping
Public land dispersed camping is the best. I recently spent four months on the road from Colorado to NC to Michigan to Colorado, and only three of those nights were spent in a populated setting. Hopping from one national forest to another is doable in many parts of the country. Rental car contracts often prohibit driving on dirt roads, so that can create a problem.
>Walmart
The percentage of Walmarts which prohibit overnight parking is growing rapidly. These days I'd say it's close to 75% of Walmarts which prohibit overnight parking. Up to you if you want to ignore the sign and do it anyway.
>>
>>2708661
>B.O.
"BO"is a normie meme. It's literally just fearmongering about the mere possibility or thought of a bad scent because you were grown up by a single mother who taught you to scorn yourself and constantly stave off the imaginary odors because your body is gross beyond your perceptible imagination.

Your schizo mother has probably told you your ass stinks a million times even though you shower everyday. Just the thought of skipping a shower repulses her enough to smell what it would be like to not shower for an entire year.
>>
>>2708656
>I've never had a fridge or cooler while vagabonding.
Why not? It's such an easy thing to do. Ice so easy to find in the US, block ice a little less so but in areas with campers it is. Dry ice is even pretty easy to find. Just having cold drinks is so much better.
>>
>>2708417
>>2708528
>>2708635
>>2708652
>>2708656

Thanks, here some more information.
Im from Europe, I've been to the Los Angeles and Las Vegas some ten years ago.
This is maybe the last time I'll be visiting the US.

I'll be staying roughly five weeks, still a lot of hours to drive per day.

The rental is about $1,350 for a Hyundai Accent or something like that, free milage and all damage covered.

The itinerary is just a rough scetch. I have about 50 things I'd like to see on my bucket list.

I was also planning to get the America the Beautiful National Park Pass in case you can park and camp in some parks.
>>
>>2708683
I'm >>2708652
The national park pass is definitely worth it, the cost pays for itself quickly.
Keep in mind there are many types of public land in the US- National Parks, National Monuments, National Recreation Areas, National Forests (America The Beautiful pass should be good for all these), state parks, tribal land and BLM land, all have different rules about camping, some require camping reservations and some (Arches for example) require reservations to enter, separate from the pass. BLM is generally the least restrictive, it's land nobody really wanted so the federal government kept it, often found in deserts, you can generally camp there for free, you can often shoot guns there too.
Definitely get an unlimited mileage rental. They may want you to trade cars mid way through so they can maintain the car. I'd also suggest getting a minivan or something like that, spend a few hundred more, something you can lie flat in will be much more comfortable.
In general, in the US you get what you pay for so this is advice for everything. A lot of euros have a shitty experience because they cheap out, e.g. going to a Dollar Store (pure shit) vs. a regular supermarket that has a good deli or fast food for every meal trying to save 2 or 5 dollars.
Yellowstone and the Sierras can experience snow by October which might be an issue if roads close where you want to go.
I'd suggest skipping Florida entirely, and this is coming from someone who likes Florida. The place isn't really set up for solo travelers, it's a place where people go in a group to party or go with their whole family. Going to Disneyland by yourself is weird. There are few campsites in Florida. Beaches are nice but so are beaches anywhere.
Consider crossing the country on a route that take you through the 4 corners area instead and then adding New England states to your trip. It will be the perfect time of year with the fall leaves and Salem, Mass does a big thing for Halloween.
>>
Hey OP thanks for making this thread I wanted to ask the same thing

>>2708683
>>2708417
Ok. I'm getting conflicting info here. Can someone from America tell me if I'm gonna get scewed over if I try to rent a card for a long road trip? I always heard rentals are cheap in America and it's basically a crucial part of my planning. What makes it expensive? hidden fees or something? I'm afraid of starting the trip and finding out it will be much more expensive than just flying to the key areas and taking short drives to where I want to go. I'm willing to pay extra for the road trip experience but not if it's a total scam

>The rental is about $1,350
Is this in total? planning for your planned amount or days or do you pay a flat fee for like up to X number of days?

>>2708768
I like the minivan Idea. My original plan was rotate between motels and sleeping in the car depending on the situation. Are roadside motels expensive or not worth it? Would it be better just spend on the SUV and camping equipment instead?
>>
>>2708415
>>
>>2708887
>>
>>2708417
>buy a car because the cost of a rental and insurance will be that much especially if you plan to put that many miles on it
Damn bro, you are retarded. You have to be a total idiot to be buying rental car insurance. Any quick search online will give you a rental car for like $20 a day, fucking unlimited mileage. Have you ever rented a car before?
>>
>>2708665
I can't imagine how bad you smell. Maybe your mother never told you.
>>
>>2708635
>>2708636
>>2708683
(Cont.)
You sound like a decent and normal person, so I'm not sure this is cut out for you. Just a disclaimer: dry camping is technically illegal in a lot of instances, as you are going to be parking on private property most of the time. You may want to take a more normal route like a camper van setup, and just frequent campgrounds.

But anyway:

>Sleeping
I feel like, as a beginner to various sorts of bare bones camping, sleeping is going to be the most important for a newbie to be disillusioned to and properly prepared for. In the context of a car: you WILL be cramped. Unless you want to condition yourself to sleep in the front seat with the seat reclined as much as you can. Personally, I would sleep in the back seat because I could lay down and also get the covers around my body completely. I was a germophobe, so I didn't like getting my sheets in contact with the same ground that I would be wearing my shoes on for most of the day. And, so, I made a point to not have my shoes on in the back, and designating that area for sleeping and leisure purposes.

You should expect it to be cold at night time, because it will be Fall and nearing Winter, and you won't be accustomed to sleeping outside in any form. You CANNOT trust the car interior itself to keep you warm or even cooled—you WILL be using the AC A LOT. The car is a terrible insulator, so it will probably shock you how could it will get in the car overnight. This is why you need to get covers to keep you warm. You can get sherpas and comforters at Walmart. Personally, I used a combination of a comforter and a Sherpa for a long while, and they still weren't enough to keep sufficiently warm without having to use the AC heater at certain points of the night as well. I wouldn't usually keep the AC on the entire night, because I wasn't trying to waste a half tank of gas overnight—I alternated. Just expect to have to use the AC, even moreso when you get to colder regions of the US
>>
>>2708882
I used to do dry camping with a minivan as well (Honda Odyssey). It's essentially the same as a car, although you can put the back seats down sometimes, but I never did that. You'll have the same issues as with a car, so it's just as much of a budget option as a car. If you like the idea of the *van life*, you should just do that if you can afford it. Watch some videos on YouTube to see how they do it and lead your own rendition along similar lines. Like I said, the car and minivan are just budget options of that lifestyle, especially if you don't have the DIY intuition or knowhow for van life. I myself never did the van life because it wasn't something that I could afford, and I just couldn't see it coming together any better than a car, although it was proposed to me by my father and he offered to cover the cost of purchasing a van for me to do it with.
>>
>>2708656
He's also not going to get 28 miles to the gallon. A conservative budget for gas for this trip is $1400. He's also going to spend way more on food than he thinks. The other guy who estimated a total cost of $5000 is probably close to the total.
>>
>>2708665
Nah dude, I merely rub my balls and then sniff my hand. If it smells like balls, it's time to wash. There's absolutely nothing unnatural about washing yourself in pure fresh water on the regular.
>>2708882
Motels start around $60/night these days, higher in the pricier parts of the country. Your neighbors are often unsavory characters, and the setting on the city outskirts can be very bleak. But if you are sleeping in a sub-par situation, a proper night's rest is worth it.
>>2708984
After first setting out I would stealth it on vacant properties throughout the East, edges of farm fields, etc. Some parts of the country, i.e. Texas, property is very rigidly defined with fences and signs, while other parts have many abandoned lots with no apparent ownership. Very rarely did I get "busted" doing this. Being out of sight of any houses and passing traffic is key. Obviously, never drive past purple-painted trees/posts or a "No Trespassing" sign, or cross a fenceline.
>you will be using the A/C a lot
Some campers do this, they make me shake my head. Get a $30 cold-weather sleeping bag if it's gonna get cold. Throw a blanket on top of it. Wear a hoodie, pants and socks inside it. Do what you have to do to stay warm.
>>2708994
Ideal is a vehicle where the back rows of seats fold down and leave a wide flat platform. My 2004 Ford Explorer did that. You have to wriggle into the back like a worm, however. My 2005 Nissan Quest I ripped out the middle-row captain's chairs; the back row of seats folds right down in the floor. Sure is nice to have the extra 2' of headroom in the back.
>>2709065
Wha? My shitbox 3.5 L minivan gets 25 mpg on road trips. A little 1.7 L Hyundai econobox would get upwards of 35. I still recommend buying a cheap Walmart tent, airmattress, pump, pillow and thrift store blanket. I've pitched a tent at a roadside pullout several times in my travels. There's always the risk of getting fucked with, but hey, that's life in the open.
>>
>>2708683
I understand you want to see it all, but this is just too much to cram in for a 5 week trip. After 2 weeks, it'll start feeling like a chore. I've done some really long roadtrips, 2 that were over 3,000 miles. They were insane and I was completely burned out after them. You're trying to do 8,000 miles. That's just absurd. Whatever you do, don't book motels in advance because you're going to start cutting things out. I guarantee you'll either run out of money because you underestimated the cost, you'll get burned out, or you'll get into an accident because you're tired and driving too much. It's 100 percent guaranteed.
>>
>>2708415
I would strongly recommend taking a much shorter trip and concentrating it around a given area. Spending a week or two driving around New England or Florida or part of the great lakes or northern California or the southwest or something is doable but your itinerary sounds more like a death march than a fun trip - especially the Los Angeles to Florida leg.
>>
>>2709794
+1.

I did a 2 week road trip a few year ago from southern California up to Yellowstone and back. By the time we did the Yellowstone loop and came back. We had driven the equivalent distance of a cross country trip from California to Washington DC. 40 hours in 2 weeks was way too much driving. I'll never do it again.
>>
>>2708415
As cool as that sounds its gonna be expensive as shit. Id almost suggest buying a shit beater minivan for like $1500 USD and driving it into the ground versus renting (would cost you like $100 per day plus you have to return it to the same location). Planet fitness has cheap memberships but i dunno if theyd accept a passport. Food is going to be expensive and of shit quality.

Honestly when you crunch the numbers its a tough thing to do cheaply. All these vanlife niggers you see are wealthy millenials who work in tech and have no problem dropping 2k a week on their little adventure
>>
>>2708665
You are definitely an american. Confined in your own filth.
>>
>>2708415
>>2708415
I'll tell you a secret

You can park often at Walmart, waffle house, and cracker barrel overnight and they won't care. Just steer clear of the weird ones in bad areas
>>
>Los Angeles to Florida with nothing in between
What the fuck? There's nothing waiting for you on that route besides lot lizards. I'm afraid I have to inquire as to the true purpose of your journey into my homeland.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.