[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: travel-dude1.jpg (124 KB, 515x515)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
Traveling alone, while often romanticized as a path to self-discovery or adventure, can be an emotionally draining and deeply isolating experience for many. The reality of solo travel, especially for those who don’t naturally thrive on solitude, can feel depressing, soul-crushing, humiliating, and profoundly anti-social. Far from the empowering, carefree experience it’s often painted to be, traveling alone can exacerbate feelings of loneliness, inadequacy, and alienation in ways that cut deep into one’s emotional and mental well-being.The Weight of LonelinessLoneliness is perhaps the most pervasive emotion when traveling alone. While solitude can be refreshing in small doses, it takes on a different meaning when you’re in an unfamiliar place with no one to share your experiences. The excitement of seeing new places quickly fades when there’s no one to talk to about them. Simple activities, like sitting in a café or exploring a museum, which would be delightful when shared, feel strangely hollow when done alone. There’s no banter, no shared laughs, no collective memories. Just you, isolated in your own thoughts, without a meaningful connection to tether you to the world around you.In these moments, the lack of companionship becomes painfully apparent. The silence is deafening, not in the peaceful way that some crave, but in a way that amplifies your awareness of just how alone you truly are. While solo travelers are surrounded by crowds of people—other tourists, locals, families, couples—they remain disconnected, merely floating through the world without meaningful engagement. The experience becomes less about the destination and more about enduring the overwhelming sense of being adrift, unanchored to anyone or anything
>>
>>2709404
Soul-Crushing IsolationThe repetitive nature of solo travel can lead to a soul-crushing sense of isolation. Imagine sitting down to dinner at a beautiful restaurant, surrounded by lively conversations, only to realize you have no one to talk to, no one to share that moment with. Every meal becomes a reminder of your solitude, as you watch couples and groups of friends interacting around you. Dining alone, especially in a foreign country, often feels like a public performance of loneliness. You sit there, trying to look comfortable, but inside, the void grows deeper with every bite.What’s worse, is when these moments repeat day after day. After the novelty of being in a new place wears off, you’re left with the inescapable reality of having no one to lean on. You have no one to turn to when you feel lost, anxious, or homesick. Every emotional hurdle you encounter, you face entirely alone. There's no shared relief in successfully navigating a difficult situation, only the cold realization that the weight of the world rests entirely on your shoulders. The longer the journey lasts, the more it feels like a slow, exhausting descent into emotional exhaustion.
>>
>>2709405
Humiliation and Social AnxietyOne of the most painful aspects of traveling alone is the social stigma that comes with it. Society often glorifies group travel and companionship, leaving solo travelers to fend off feelings of inadequacy and humiliation. Whether it’s the awkwardness of asking for a table for one at a busy restaurant, the uneasy glances from couples who wonder why you’re alone, or the subtle pity from hotel staff, solo travelers often find themselves grappling with a sense of being out of place.For those who already struggle with social anxiety, solo travel can be an emotional minefield. Approaching strangers, joining groups, or attempting to make new friends can feel like insurmountable tasks. Many solo travelers are confronted with the fear of rejection, which can compound the loneliness they already feel. Even when trying to connect with others, the interactions may feel forced, stilted, or temporary. You may find yourself constantly comparing your situation to the social ease and joy that others seem to experience with their travel companions, deepening the sense of isolation.At times, solo travelers may feel invisible, as though they are simply passing through places, unnoticed by the world. Other times, they may feel hyper-visible, overly aware of how alone they appear in social situations. Both experiences can be equally humiliating. You’re either lost in the crowd, irrelevant to the social fabric around you, or standing out as the lone, odd traveler with no one by your side.
>>
>>2709406
The Anti-Social Nature of Solo

TravelDespite the belief that solo travel encourages personal growth and fosters independence, it can often become an inherently anti-social experience. Many solo travelers retreat into themselves, spending days alone, moving through cities like ghosts, without forming meaningful connections. The longer the isolation persists, the harder it becomes to break out of it. The motivation to socialize dwindles, and the effort required to make new friends or join group activities seems overwhelming.There’s a paradox in solo travel: you have the opportunity to meet new people, yet the very nature of traveling alone can create a barrier to genuine connection. The fleeting encounters that solo travelers often have—whether with locals or fellow tourists—rarely develop into deep friendships. Many of these interactions are transactional or circumstantial, leaving you with the bittersweet realization that, while you’ve met many people, you’re still fundamentally alone.Some solo travelers find themselves deliberately avoiding social interactions as a way to shield themselves from further loneliness. After all, it’s less painful to accept being alone than to make the effort to connect with others only to have those connections feel superficial or temporary. In this way, solo travel can reinforce a cycle of isolation, making it harder and harder to break out of the emotional solitude it creates.
>>
>>2709407
The Dark Side of Solo Travel

In a world that often romanticizes the notion of traveling alone, it’s important to acknowledge the darker side of the experience. For many, solo travel is not an empowering journey of self-discovery, but rather a deeply depressing, soul-crushing ordeal that amplifies feelings of loneliness, inadequacy, and social alienation. It’s a reminder that we, as human beings, crave connection and companionship, and that experiencing the world without someone to share it with can often feel like a hollow victory.While some may thrive in solitude, for others, the weight of traveling alone is too heavy a burden to bear. The sights, sounds, and experiences that should bring joy and wonder instead become tinged with sadness, as the ever-present void of human connection looms over every moment. And as the journey drags on, the emotional toll of solo travel can leave one feeling more lost and disconnected than when they first set out.
>>
Thanks chatgpt
>>
ok?
>>
>>2709424
is it ok?
>>
File: haifa.jpg (296 KB, 1076x804)
296 KB
296 KB JPG
>>2709404
incorrect, silos are cool and I always appreciate them in my travels
>>
holy shit what kind of pussy wrote this?
I leave my country solo but I make friends quickly and often travel from destination to destination with friends or lovers and sometimes go to visit them in their home countries later in life
>>
suck my cock bro
>>
>>2709404
>>2709405
>>2709406
>>2709407
>>2709410
>>2709406
The truth is i feel this intensely, and I’m honestly scared about my future. The prospect of being an isolated, single, and childless male loser into my 40s and beyond is honestly terrifying.

Watching my parents and grandparents get older, and seeing how their lives become this narrow, sterile routine, which pretty much amounts to comfortably waiting to die, i can only imagine is endurable and survivable when you have a family or at least a significant other, but alone? Holy fuck bros…..
>>
>>2709404
I've always been alone my nigger.
>>
>>2709404
I need this thread to devolve into hundreds of replies. I know there’s some neurotypical douchebags licking their chops. Go ahead. Clack the keys
>>
>>2709404
Unless your twentysomething backpacking through Europe in the summertime, don't go solo if you are prone to feeling bad about being alone. That's a recipe for disaster - you'll be driven to the bar scene in desperation for company and all kinds of bad shit can happen. So before launching into solo travel, make sure you know whether or not you enjoy your own company, at a minimum.
>>
>>2709499
I completely get where you're coming from, and it's honestly heartbreaking. The thought of reaching that point in life—40s, 50s, and beyond—without anyone to share it with is a terrifying prospect. There's something deeply unsettling about the idea of being isolated, watching time pass while everyone around you builds connections, families, and a sense of belonging. The fear of being a "loser" in the eyes of society, or even worse, in your own eyes, hits hard.

As we get older, the things we once thought were minor—like companionship, having someone to lean on—become painfully obvious gaps in our lives. And without that, it just feels like the world becomes a dull, lonely grind. It’s like every year that passes is another reminder that you're drifting further from what everyone else seems to have figured out: love, a family, people to care for and be cared by. The idea of living in an echo of your own existence, with no one to share your thoughts, your fears, or even the mundane moments with, seems like an agonizing void.

I can't imagine growing old, watching the people you love wither away, knowing that you're facing that same fate, but entirely on your own. No one to hold your hand when you're scared, no one to laugh with you when something silly happens. It’s like all you’d be left with is the cold comfort of routine—just filling time until it’s all over. The crushing weight of that loneliness, especially when you start to see it on the horizon, is paralyzing.
>>
Still gonna do it
>>
>>2709404
>it's another demoralisation thread on /trv/
Shame the jeet janny doesn't care as much about this bullshit as he does about sex tourism
>>
I hope you didn't just type all that shit out just now. Kek.. ma dude if you travel solo and you're antisocial you might as well kys. Just end your miserable existence. The reason I travel solo isnt because i have no friends. It's because my friends do not have the same travel interests as I have. I am perfectly capable of speaking to or hanging out with strangers.
>>
>>2709410
I know a lot of people are gonna shit on you but I want you to know that I see you and I’m sorry you’ve felt lonely like that. I’ve never solo travelled, but I have thought about it many times and worried about some of the things you mentioned, specifically having nobody to share certain moments with. I can see how that, along with other things, could serve as constant reminders of being at the moment.

I do also appreciate how you are acknowledging that some people would thrive on that solitude. I think for me, I might be able to go cowboy mode occasionally and not feel to bad, because I know it’s temporary. But I think for me, travel is better with company, even if it’s someone you don’t particularly love.

The best places to be alone are places where nobody else is, where you gain true solitude and aren’t playing the part of a social spectator
>>
>>2709404
>silo traveling
Stopped reading there
Try not making spelling mistakes next time, faggot
>>
>>2709602
And for some context, no I don’t have a girlfriend. I’ve had many, but I haven’t had a girlfriend or had sex in six years. So I’ve lived both sides of the coin. Went from total extrovert to total introvert.

I don’t travel much, when I do I go with a friend from home. But I do get out alone a lot, more of an /out/ person myself. Listening to some ambient music while hiking alone is like brain floss for me. Some of my hikes have been the most memorably peaceful moments of my life. I’ve seen some incredible sunsets and snowfalls. These memories I solely own. Ill remember those moments for the rest of my life.

As for dying alone, do not worry about it dude. Psyching yourself out like that could be a self fulfilling prophecy, because women are like sharks when it comes to sniffing out insecurity and panic. I know it’s so much easier said than done, and I struggle with it too, but you just have to let it go and live in the moment. People can change, and talking to and meeting people is a skill which can be developed, no matter how old you are. My father remarried at 60 years old, men can have children until their 80s.

Don’t compare yourself to others and where they are at in life, that is a recipe for disaster. You can always find someone who is “greater” or “lesser” than yourself, it means nothing. All you can do is try to be better today than you were yesterday, and LOVE YOURSELF. As faggy as that sounds. You need to go easy on yourself, you would not shit on someone else who was going through the same exact thing you are. You would show them the love they deserve and try to help them understand that the people are will appreciate you for who you are once they actually know you.

Keep pushing brother, don’t wallow in the has-been. It will only paralyze you. I think all strong men need to go through a cowboy phase in life and experience true loneliness.
>>
File: wz2Hsk8.gif (1 MB, 324x356)
1 MB
1 MB GIF
>biggest concern
>muh isolation
Normal faggots shouldnt be allowed to solo travel
t. Spends months at the time without seeing or even messaging other human being
>>
>>2709499
>>2709546
I feel like you people have some kind of untreated mental illness
>>
>>2709687
you ignore reality
>>
I have only solo traveled.
I met up with people as a reason for travel we chatted plenty before hand.
Traveling is great I couldn’t imagine doing it with others who want to visit tourist disneylands and eat at fancy looking tourist traps. I do my own thing and love it.
People here talking about not having companions in their 40s and 50s must not know many people who are married or in their 60s and 70s or 80s.
Having children or relationships/marriages are your biggest Achilles heels in old age. So much so that being alone for me has moved from being a negative constant downside to an amazing positive I am so content and happy with life that it’s unreal, never felt so in control of my life.
You people are just depressed and bitter about the path your lives have gotten you. Where would you want to be? Wife and kids? Think of what you actually can control for your own life. What can you change for the better? Do that! For many your job is actually killing you slowly. It’s probably the reason why you feel like this. Get another one. Locations matter, move elsewhere where you can be happy.
Make friends and make those friendships meaningful. Join groups that interest you and chat with the people there, go out for coffee with them them often then spend time with them and make that relationship meaningful.
Life can be horrible but how you react to that horribleness can make the difference in your life, in your inner turmoil. Now get out there and go have breakfast!
>>
>>2709405
What a fucking dire and limited view of human life. Life is only worth living if you have company to share it with? You’re insane and brainwashed.
>>
Compared to my times traveling with friends yeah, I'll solo travel 100% unless it's with a chick I hooked up with.

It's another episode of
>friend who wanted to come is secretly a poorfag making excuses as to why can't do X today
>"has something always go wrong" but it's really their dumbass causing the mistakes
>'has plenty of things they want to do' but by day 3 they have 0 clue want to do and assume you know shit to make stuff not boring
>can't take a hint when you are trying to hook up with a chick
>totally looked up some basic info of traveling but has 0 clue when there acting like a stereotypical tourist
>gets insanely fucked up right after landing is hungover and jetlagged as shit for the next 2.5 days
>friend gets thrown in the drunk tank... again
>anon booked at some random ass hotel that isn't even close to where you agreed meaning they always leave early or are late to everything
>tell friend to watch out for X scam, they immediately fall for X scam

After the first 2 years traveling with some good friends, I learned to just tell them I'd meet them at X place. Doesn't matter how good friends you are there is just something about like 99% of people who when stepping out of their comfort zone turn into smooth brained morons.
>>
I haven't had friends since I was a child so it makes no difference. And from the sounds of it most people can't stand to be around each other anyway.
>>
>>2710144
>I haven't had friends since I was a child
i feel sorry for you
>>
just get drunk in a bar/hostel. boom friends. fucking pussy. fuck this gay ai thread.
>>
>>2710106
Sounds like you just have stupid friends.
>>
>>2710200
I feel quite content by myself though, when I'm around people I just want to get away. Being a loner is peak comfy.
>>
>>2710206
Getting drunk while traveling alone can be a profoundly isolating experience, where the initial buzz fades into a hollow feeling of disconnection. In a foreign place, surrounded by strangers and unfamiliar surroundings, the act of drinking deepens the sense of loneliness. The bar's chatter becomes an echo, and the faces around you blur into a sea of people you’ll never know, reinforcing how truly alone you are. The temporary euphoria quickly gives way to a creeping sadness, as the alcohol amplifies the void inside, making the world feel cold and indifferent. You’re left with the sharp realization that, despite the crowded room, you have no one to share the moment with, intensifying the soul-crushing weight of solitude.
>>
>>2710216
While some may claim that being a loner is "peak comfort," the reality is that this behavior often reflects a deeper disconnection from human nature and emotional health. Humans are inherently social creatures, wired to seek connection, community, and shared experiences. Isolating oneself to the point of actively avoiding others can signal a profound inner struggle, where social interactions become overwhelming or threatening, pushing a person further into unhealthy solitude. This avoidance of connection may mask underlying issues like anxiety, fear of vulnerability, or unresolved trauma. It’s deeply saddening to think that someone could find comfort in such loneliness, as they miss out on the richness of human relationships, personal growth through interaction, and the emotional support that only others can provide. It's a silent tragedy, watching someone retreat into a world where isolation feels safer than connection.
>>
>>2710229
that's why you talk to other people anon and if they vibe is off go somewhere else
>>
>>2710230
Don't push your view of humanity onto others.
We have not lived in a society described by your post since at least the industrial revolution or the concept of a burg/town. We live in a industrial society, we do not depend on social connections for survival.
You are trying to push alienation the same way as Marx, because you simply do not agree with it.
Today, in the current year, in the current society we have being isolated may be better than being in bad relationships, than being in bad company. You have total freedom. Often times those who push this lovely view of the world made for two are in horrible relationships and live in a codependent style. Being alone can be miserable for some and truly liberating for others.
If you can't be in your own company then going anywhere be it a job, school or travel will be a miserable experience. I have wonderful human connections but I don't need them to travel. I am amazed that there are people out there who can't travel alone. Like how the fuck do you do anything? You're just codependent.
>>
>>2709404
>>2709405
>>2709406
>>2709407
>>2709410
Miss me with that normiecattle shite.
>>
>>2710278
Your argument is misguided and steeped in a false sense of superiority. Humans have always relied on social connections, and even in an industrial society, countless studies prove that strong social bonds are crucial for mental and physical health. Just because you may feel "free" in isolation doesn’t mean others are codependent for valuing relationships or enjoying shared experiences, like traveling with others. Dismissing social connection as unnecessary shows a fundamental misunderstanding of human nature. Claiming that those who seek connection are in "horrible" relationships is both baseless and arrogant, especially when you're so quick to judge anyone who doesn't share your preference for solitude. Instead of glorifying isolation, maybe question why you view human interaction with such contempt—it’s not others who are "codependent"; it's you who seems to be projecting your insecurities onto them.
>>
>>2710284
very nice work there building a man out of straw and then tearing it down, youre replying to a post that isn't even there
>>
>>2710284
Shut the fuck up you AI sounding faggot. After 25, you’re supposed to have a wife and children, not be some isolated, aging manfaggot trying to run away from his own emptiness.

What pleasure or satisfaction would it give me to keep the company of other aging, failed men, listening to them blubber about sports or some other barely sentient garbage? Zero.

Now fucking be quiet
>>
>>2710284
Everything you say is an average; your "human nature" is a range of behavioral norms generally applicable to 80% of human society. You fail to recognize that you are communicating with an online social community of the other 20%, outliers whose human nature, life experiences and decision-making processes differ greatly in many ways from your statistically useful Average Man™.
>>
>>2710230
>le disconnection
Ha, you should look at phone-addicted normiefags if you want to see a true example of disconnection from human nature and emotional health. They are slaves to their own compulsions, unable to pass even a few minutes in contemplative awareness of their surroundings without feeling intense boredom and restlessness.
Whereas someone who can feel a deep sense of calm wandering alone in a forest, giving soft greetings to the wild creatures, this person resents the intrusion of the noisy, unfocused selfie-snapping normiefag, and for good reason.
>inherently social creatures
Another Average Man™ stereotype. Humans always have social barriers, whether they live in a big city or in the deep woods. The majority of humans are intensely discriminating in their social interactions; this is 100% natural, and has many survival benefits.
>>
>>2710229
Regular alcohol consumption is a bad habit, regardless of your social life. If you have ever become part of a hard-drinking social group, you'd realize just how many fucked-up actions and decisions occur under the influence. True, solo drinking also lowers your thought control, allowing negative emotions to take over your mood and destroy your enjoyment of living, with alcohol being your only solace. Yet this is a passive process for most people, with next to no ill effects on human society at large. Virtually all of the social ill caused by alcohol is a result of social drinking, not solo drinking.
>>
>>2710290
Shut the fuck up you AI sounding faggot. After 25, you’re supposed to have figured out different people have different worldviews from their different experiences and some inherited from recent family members, not be some bellowing, aging manfaggot trying to run away from his own emptiness by running into what others tell him he should be.

What pleasure or satisfaction would it give me to keep the company of other aging, failed men, listening to them blubber about children's sports, video games, gender reveal parties, or some other barely sentient garbage? Zero.

Now fucking keep barking so people can keep dismantling your myopic worldview.
>>
>>2709410
Just what exactly did you think an "empowering journey of self-discovery" is? There is only one way to manifest your inner strength, and that is to endure a forging experience. Enduring and powering through unpleasant life episodes will stamp out any weakness and negative thought patterns which are parasitizing your mental energy and motivation.
>too heavy a burden to bear
Some are crushed by the lightest burdens, while others soldier on under the heaviest loads. Why is that? The answer is simple: some are weak, and some are strong. It's an evolutionary axiom: weakness is misery, and misery is weakness. In a hostile world, babies who won't stop crying get smothered to death by adults. Only strong babies capable of powering through hardship have the right to consume precious resources and have a fighting chance at achieving adulthood.
>joy and wonder
Have you ever looked at the faces of vacationing families, heard their interactions? More often do I see stress and aggravation than anything resembling joy and wonder. Yet the weak mind cannot resist being captivated by unattainable fantasies of blissful escape.
>>
I have plenty of friends, and family that are close. I still find the freedom of pointing my car west down the freeway with a rough sketch of some desert landmarks and towns to hit after a day or two's drive to be the most spiritually liberating thing in the world. I'm an autist who somehow really enjoys being with friends and confidants. But, that initial fear of the unknown, that first "oh fuck what am I doing, where am I going?!" panic moment after you get more than a day's drive from home, conquering it, and just chillaxing and turning off autism and saying "fuck it, I'll just socialize somehow" is so fucking liberating. You're hundreds to thousands of miles from home. Nobody knows your name. You can cut loose, and, if your cutting loose fucks things up, you can autistically learn, regroup, and retry a new watering hole. Traveling is for the autistic, or the VERY socially literate. Those who kind of are in the middle strugglebus with it, imo.
>>
Solo traveling is not for everyone, is like trying to force a claustrophobic person to meditate in a tiny room with no windows alone. Obvioulsy that person is going to freak out.
>>
AI thread
>>
Where did that loser go lmao I guess he got too frustrated after being corrected.
>>
>>2711029
this thread lives rent free in your head
>>
>>2710106
>friend who wanted to come is secretly a poorfag making excuses as to why can't do X today
How tf do you not know if your friends are poorfags? do you not discuss budgets beforehand?

Even the rest of your complaints. You speak like a man who's never had a friend in his live. I don't care if you travel solo or not. But you sound highly antisocial.

>>2710278
>>2710299
You clearly responded to chatgtp bait. The fact your om here at all socializing with other so called loners proves chatgtp right btw. You felt attacked by this AI. You felt the instinctive urge to defend yourself. It shows that you still care about what others think about you despite your claims to the contrary.
>>
>>2711084
>socializing
4chan isn't socializing, anon. My brain is loose as a goose with ideas. I shit out paragraphs of philosophy with more regularity than I drop physical turds. Keeps my mind clear and harmoniously sorted.
>>
How much of what I'm reading was done by chat-gp ?
>>
>>2711317
90% of 4chanel

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.