[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Expect some downtime in the next few minutes for upgrades!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: stans.jpg (113 KB, 1280x720)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
I want to get my first taste of the 'stans. I won't have time for all of them so I'm planning an introductory trip. So far I only thought or a preliminary itinerary:

Fly to Samarkand, spend ~3 days
Undecided. Tashkent? Bishkek and Kyrgyz mountains? ~5-7 days
Reach Almaty and fly out from there after ~2-3 days

If I definitely want to see Samarkand, and finish with Almaty since it's easy to fly out from, how would you fill the gap in between? Is it worth it taking a Kyrgyzstan detour? Or spend more time in Uzbekistan or Kazakhstan? I like history and culture stuff but also local food and drinks. And outdoors if easily available. Not huge on big parties but I've heard there is some great nightlife in the region as well so wouldn't mind checking that out. Budget not an issue. I don't speak Russian or any other local language.

Also, general stans stories or advice.
>>
Lurk caravanistan
>>
Haven't been to Uzbekistan but I hear Tashkent isn't all that special as it's a fairly new city.

Kyrgyzstan detour is certainly worth it. Bishkek isn't all that special but is situated right at the foot of Ala Archa national park, which is beautiful. You may want to consider exploring side valleys such as Alamedin if you want to get away from the crowds. Mind you, Kyrgyzstan has been nomadic since forever and doesn't have much in the way of history other than living history in that many people still live in yurts during the summer just like they have been doing all throughout their history, ie. its people are its history and culture. You may want to skip Bishkek and head straight for Karakol also has outdoor easily available, plus there's a border crossing to Kazakhstan at Kegen/Karkara. Far more beautiful and not incredibly crowded like Korday/Ak-Zhol. No public transport but hitchhiking is easy. Bonus is that it'll take you close to Kolsai lakes and Charyn canyon plus Altyn Emel national park.
>>
File: _I7A0368.jpg (3.94 MB, 3360x2240)
3.94 MB
3.94 MB JPG
Forgot to mention, but Almaty also has mountains as a backdrop. Beautiful but not the towering 5000m peaks Bishkek has.

Pic is Burana tower, one of the few historical sites in Kyrgyzstan, not too far out of Bishkek.
>>
File: arslanbob.jpg (94 KB, 780x380)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
The board ate my post so here are my suggestion to see a lot in your short time.
Samarkand -> TJ border at Panjakent -> stay in Khujand -> UZ border at Konibodom -> stay in Fergana valley -> KG border at Izboskan/Madanyat -> stay and see the mountains in Arslanbob or Toktogul -> stay in Bishkek and see Ala-Archa and Burana -> bus to Almaty

Obviously a packed itinerary but you get to see Silk Road Samarkand, what Tashkent would look like without the earthquake in Khujand, rural Uzbekistan in the Fergana valley, mountains in Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan and some urban scenery in Bishkek and Almaty, both being more interesting than Tashkent.
>>
>>2714614
My Uzbek friend (who lives in Germany) says that Tashkent is rapidly modernizing and becoming more prosperous.
>>
>>2714614
>plus there's a border crossing to Kazakhstan at Kegen/Karkara. Far more beautiful and not incredibly crowded like Korday/Ak-Zhol. No public transport but hitchhiking is easy.
Is it? I've heard it's pretty much dead as far as traffic goes, like single car an hour type of dead. How did it go for you? Did you take the A364 or A362 in Kyrgyzstan?
I'd like to cross from Karakol to Almaty via the canyon but I'm a bit worried about that border. Not OP so I have plenty of time but still I'd rather not get stuck in the middle of a dead, mountain dirt road with no tent and sleeping bag in early November. Plus I'm not convinced it'll actually be any quicker in practice than the roundabout Bishkek route, considering the possible wait and walking.
>>
>>2714966
The route via the Karkara valley is not something you do for speed but for the scenery and the possible stops.
Karakol<>Almaty is definitely faster via Bishkek even if you go only by marshrutka/bus.
The only time you have to wait for a long time at the Korday border is when you can't split your journey between the Kyrgyz and Kazakh part because you're with your own car, if you can pass the actual border on foot you never wait longer than 30-45 minutes.
>>
File: _I7A0510.jpg (2.77 MB, 3360x2240)
2.77 MB
2.77 MB JPG
>>2714955
Might very well be, but as far as I know it's just a modern city with little history left.

>>2714966
I crossed in early August, but there definitely was far more traffic than one car an hour. 99% of traffic takes the A362 by the way as A364 goes straight into the mountains. Worst case scenario you cross and walk until Karkara - villages on both side of the border share this name - and knock on doors/ask around until you find a place to stay.

Kol-Ukok in pic
>>
The region has relatively few destinations, it's a scenic region so how much you enjoy transit will have a big impact on your trip. If you rent a car you can have a blast.

Kazakhstan is actually the odd one here in terms of it's relative industrialization, modernity, currency value etc. I actually didn't find much to do in Almaty but that's just me.

Be aware that it's a multilingual region so the same thing/place might be signposted in a number of different ways.

Also be aware that silk road overland rough runs thorough the region, so if you're NOT over-landing, a lot of material written about the region might not be a goof fit for your itinerary

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.