[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/u/ - Yuri

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1667696666252378.jpg (227 KB, 500x702)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
Previous Thread
>>4102848

>Some places to find fics
https://www.fanfiction.net/
https://archiveofourown.org/

>A (somewhat old) archive of fics compiled and shared by a kind anon
https://mega.nz/#F!oaphAAaZ!6FnZFfH2f-Vx5d9A47pSow

Post links to fics and discuss them and fanfiction in general. Link fics you like, your own stuff, anything goes as long as it's yuri.
>>
File: 1660814683655815.png (27 KB, 370x320)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
Finding an author you like is both a blessing and a curse, because if they're prolific you have a bunch of stuff to read, but then when you finish there is only the eternal wait for more and reading other fics of the same pairings can feel like a downgrade if they're missing a characterization or dynamic the favored author included that you enjoyed.
>>
>>4146804
Unironically, what's it like to find a fanfic author you like? I have yet to read a single piece of fanfiction that I find to meet the following criteria: A) Exclusively though I would settle for primarily yuri, B) in a fandom I like C) Total word count 80k+ D) doesn't physically hurt to read for ESL/middle-schooler-tier grammar and nonexistent/elementary writing style.
They just don't exist. I've sworn off reading fanfiction and just read published books, at least then I know what I'm getting will be readable
>>
>>4146804
I discovered an author through the Fire Emblem 3 Houses fandom and that person is a MACHINE
Consistent, quality update and always finishes their works
I would donate if I could
>>
>>4146804
I follow an author that posts stuff for dead fandoms that I like but they never proofread their shit and constantly mix up character names in their prose so it reads like the same girl exits the kitchen while cooking breakfast and it's absolutely maddening. Like, read it over once before posting, it's not hard.
>>
>last updated: 2020
>>
>>4146829
Who's the author?
>>
>>4146838
You are like a little baby to me.
It feels especially bad because I also abandoned a fic I was writing that some people liked so I'm going to be the cause of a small handful of people being sad too.
>>
>>4146902
AdraCat
>>
Are there any fics featuring hatesex? How would that even work?
>>
>>4147123
Pleasantly. It's just high unresolved sexual tension between people who act tsundere. IRL it doesn't work but that's what fiction is for.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/8579665

https://archiveofourown.org/works/6301573/chapters/14439862

Incidentally, AO3 has changed its download format slightly and whatever new process they have is ungodly slow, does anyone know where I can find more information about that?
>>
>>4146791
How's the general quality of the stuff in the OP mega link? If I read all of it, what percentage will have made me wish I'd clawed my eyes out instead?
>>
>>4147893
It's not a curated selection, it's an archival folder (I can see why you'd assume the former). There are quite literally tens of thousands of fics in that mega, so it's gonna have everything from abject trash to some of the best in existence. Not really a thing you can produce a 'general quality' for, except I guess, by definition, "Average".
>>
>>4146828
I don't know about liking specific authors, but all of the other criteria totally exist in a lot of fanfics. Except maybe that stupid ass qualifier about fandoms you like, because you can just always pull the 'dont care about this fandom card' which may say more about your tastes than fanfic writers.
>>
>>4147608
Strange to see my shit still being linked here, but I suppose it does prove that orphaning works is better than deleting them outright.
>>
>>4149073

Proper tsundere / tsundere that has them lower the intensity to teasing once comfortable with each other is rare. It's good to have it somewhere.
>>
>>4148676
>’don’t care about that fandom’ not mattering
Sure it matters. If I’m on a fanfic website I want to read fanfiction, meaning that by definition it has to be a fandom I like. If I’m reading fanfic from some 8-bit indie kickstarter game I’ve never heard of or from some obscure 1989 Korean short story collection then it might as well be original fiction to me, right? That completely destroys the point of seeking out fanfics in the first place.
My point there was just that within the fandoms I’m willing to read fanfic for- which includes some pretty popular IPs by the way- there’s nothing worth reading yuri-wise.
>>
Is it worth binging Supergirl for the Supercorp fic background context? Also is season 2 better than one, Supercorp content aside?
>>
>>4149563
>within the fandoms I’m willing to read fanfic for- which includes some pretty popular IPs by the way- there’s nothing worth reading yuri-wise.
Popular like for /u/ fics or popular like they are big mainstream IPs?
>>
>>4149575
Yes, I think most people in the thread witnessed your episode.
>>
The thing is that fandom leaninings can be very divorced from creator intentions and the main text of their works. A work with purely heterosexual romances can find itself having fanworks with homosexual ones for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes the writers just fuck up and put the sexualities/relationships of their characters into legitimate question. Sometimes what is a canon romance is of such low quality that other options are explored. Sometimes the fans are just horny. Doesn't matter really, as in the end fanfics get produced. Which brings up a common facet of fanfiction: presumption that the reader has consumed the content it's based on.

Some writers can very much compensate for an audience unfamiliar with the work they're writing for. Sometimes wikis and fan forums can cover the basics well enough that bothering with the source material isn't necessary. Sometimes the source material is just shit and not worth bothering with and that's already easily communicated. This isn't always the case though, and understanding a work can become necessary to get a fic and see where it might be going. Sometimes shows are just straight up good. However the context of asking is important and it's not like >>4149566
is straight up asking for a non /u/ recommendation, just for opinions on if putting up with the show is worth it for the material that inspires the /u/ fics.

It's not from my memory. CW capeshit shows aren't very good and Supergirl in particular is just awful about it's choices for the MC and her noncanon ship. The actually canon (last I checked at least) f/f ship wasn't that great either.
>>
>>4149622
All of this is implicitely assuming that reading the fanfic is some kind of major priority that is worth watching something non-/u/ related for or to somehow compensate for (wikis, really?). This is just not true in 99% of cases. Just read a good original work instead rather than wasting your time.

And yes, asking whether one should watch a show and if season 2 is better than season 1 is asking people about an off-topic show and people's impressions of it, which absolutely does not belong here. In the scenario that someone already consumed this bad media and just wants a band-aid in form of a fanfic that is a different matter. Discussing the fanfic or in some fringe cases even the context of the source material you are both aware of when discussing said fanfic is fine.

Obviously there are fixer fics, crackship fics or just deranged people who think they have to rewrite some story to suit their personal fetishes, but the way /u/ should approach them here matters just as much as their quality.
>>
>>4149574
>my taste is trash because I also like non-yuri IPs
okay sis, sure. What's the point of having a fanfic thread if we aren't allowed to talk about yurifying het shows/movies/books/etc?
>>4149572
I like a lot of 'mainstream in general' type stuff, it's not like I'm in the dregs of obscurity where 1,000 fics is "a lot" by the standards I'm used to. F/F makes up like what? 10% of works on Ao3 or something? I really don't think my standards are too high here
>>
File: Fh5BlAyX0AA9VHr.jpg (1.32 MB, 2500x1853)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB JPG
>>4149622
>It's not from my memory. CW capeshit shows aren't very good and Supergirl in particular is just awful about it's choices for the MC and her noncanon ship. The actually canon (last I checked at least) f/f ship wasn't that great either.
Yeah, about what I was expecting. It's just a pretty significant well of fics to tap into so I was fence-sitting about it. I guess in the end it's not all that big a deal, I have a decent amount of DC background. Appreciate the weigh-in.
>>
>>4149625
I don't think it was implied that a singular fic was supposed to be the motive for asking if watching a non-/u/ show was worth it. Familiarity with a work means all fanworks for it can be understood and enjoyed when they assume knowledge from the reader. Which opens up more content than just reading some one-off original work. Especially for bigger names like Supercorp as that's a pairing that is rather up there on AO3's rankings of ship popularity.

However I think you're very wrong about how much talking about works with /u/ fanworks but little to no main text /u/ content in the canon work fits on the board. Obviously /u/ maintext works fit and are preferred but there are legitimate reasons to want to play in sandboxes that aren't ours and yuri fans have been doing that for decades. Like I'd say that reading Worm wouldn't be necessary to enjoy it's fanfic scene, many of the writers barely have read it, but understanding the MC's basic story and the setting/power system helps a lot. Meanwhile Wednesday is worth a watch to see the dynamic for the most popular ship that's an f/f one even though the show subjects the audience to a truly awful love triangle the goes nowhere in the end.
>>
>>4149635
>reading Worm wouldn't be necessary to enjoy it's fanfic scene, many of the writers barely have read it
And maybe it's for the best. Lots of interesting girls to throw Taylor at and she falls for a boring male character.
>>
>>4149566
Watch season 2 if you are brave enough, but it only goes downhill from there. Youtube has all the supercorp scenes you need and you can save yourself from all the het shit and the fuck they call a plot.
But the fanfic is really worth it, excellent long stories and many people still writing new ones. I wish there were more f/f books out there written that well.
>>
>>4149639
A particularly boring one at that.

Not that there's too much in the way of actually good options, even when ignoring how good the girls are.
>>
File: FWM1d6WVUAAs4sM.jpg (516 KB, 2048x1630)
516 KB
516 KB JPG
>>4149627
> it's not like I'm in the dregs of obscurity where 1,000 fics is "a lot" by the standards I'm used to.
I was just curious if you were approaching it from the idea of popular IPs in general, or IPs that are popular specifically for /u/ fics. There's some crossover there, but there's also stuff that is mainstream or even fic popular, I don't know, MCU or Supernatural or Genshin that have a lot of fic volume but a pretty low number of f/f. MCU has like half a million fics but only 25k f/f, while She-ra has 18K fics and 11k that are f/f with no marked side het.

I think it's probably gonna be easier for you to find fics that meet your other listed needs in those more focused fandoms just because that's where you're gonna get the people really into a ship who are gonna write longer stuff and put in effort. So it might be worth testing the waters on a fandom you haven't engaged in but that is f/f fic heavy to see if you like that fandom and can maybe get enjoyment out of those fics rather than relying on purely the mainstream ones.

I can sympathize though. I was the anon you originally replied to >>4146804 and even though I can stomach lower quality stuff if it's not just wattpad garbo tier or has characters talking wildly OOC, I greatly prefer 100k+ fics so it also often feels like I'm struggling to find works in a lot of fandoms. I do think stumbling on an author you like helps, if they write a lot for a single ship, because then you potentially get a bunch of stories that still feel sort of cohesive.
>>
>>4149642
Very true. I think the author said that making Taylor a lesbian would've been "too easy"
>>
>>4149647
Dumbest shit I have heard in my life. And this is the stuff people think is worth writing fanfics for? Works like that should be forgotten forever.
>>
>>4149648
Listening to that particular author's WoGs is pretty dumb when it comes to characters. However the work itself has very good fanfic potential between its power system, the MC and her likely partners, and the setting.
>>
>>4149644
>if they write a lot for a single ship, because then you potentially get a bunch of stories that still feel sort of cohesive
If it's 100k+ works then I think one fic should suffice though. It will get repetitive fast. I'm more impressed by authors who can move to vastly different works and still be consistently good.
>>
>>4149644
>she-ra's 11k w/ no marked side het
That's exactly how I search for fics when I end up trying to. I'll filter for only f/f and exclude f/m and m/m. This probably removes some results that I might otherwise have given a try but when I'm in the mood for yuri it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.
>bunch of short stories that feel cohesive
THIS is asking for too much, but when people say "write the fics you would want to read," I definitely do in this regard. When I write for a fandom, I have one timeline, it's as cohesive as I can make it, and it often ends up long as hell. I know it's asking too much for other people to do this sort of thing in a way I'd be happy with, so I end up settling for a lot less.
I have two options I guess. One is to continue not reading fanfiction- which I've actually been happy with these days but it would be nice if I had something I liked. Two is to do like you said and dip my toes into more fandoms that have a lot of F/F. Any recommendations on that front?
>>
>>4149648
Well, that's why one writes fanfics. To fix the author being dumb.
>>
>>4149657
I just have standards and they involve not giving attention to works that are actively anti-yuri. It's one thing to write for a ship that has subtext in a non-romance focused work, it's another to write for a series that actively shits on lesbians for example. I don't believe in this warped idea of revenge writing. Makes you no better than those freaks who try to turn lesbians straight.
>>
>>4149655
>This probably removes some results that I might otherwise have given a try but when I'm in the mood for yuri it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make
For She-Ra in particular? It absolutely does wipe out plenty of fics you would probably have otherwise liked. Catradora is unquestionably the main ship of the fandom but Bow/Glimmer is a ship mate to the pairing and will appear in and by listed by just about any fic trying to do anything significant beyond some bubble of Catradora.
>>
>>4149655
>I'll filter for only f/f and exclude f/m and m/m.
Yeah, it's a mixed bag. Sometimes people tag really minor side het in their pairing list and then you're also filtering out a fic that is essentially yuri beyond the fact that there's a straight or gay (m) friend couple around. I think the effectiveness varies by fandom, basically whether or not there's a large canonical het/gay pairing that works alongside the f/f. Like to continue the She-ra example, I'd guess that most of those 7k disqualified fics are probably still Catradora fics that just have Bow and Glimmer as a couple on the sidelines. But it's a mixed bag because you're also gonna get Bow/Glimmer fics that have catradora as a side couple and also actually undesirable fics that fuck with the f/f pairing.

>Any recommendations on that front?
Not amazing ones. You could probably glance through this
https://fanlore.org/wiki/AO3_Ship_Stats_2023
Just for a brief view of what is gonna offer you the largest pools of fics fandom wise. I find that (generalizing) older fandoms also tend to have rougher quality. There's, for example, quality Kigo fics but I also feel like the fandom trends worse than some modern pairings. I also think you get better quality out of adult (character) pairings. I haven't had much luck with Owl House and RWBY is sorta meh (though I guess I look for more minor pairings there so take that with a significant grain of salt). I just haven't really dipped into those big 3 (Supercorp, Swan Queen and Clarke/Lexa) but those three source materials are quite het.

Lately I've been getting a lot of mileage from Bellamione, Wenclair, and Catradora. If Netflix doesn't completely botch the second season and puts in some cute Wenclair moments and not much het (which seems likely given Ortega's vocal opinion on it being unnecessary and the status of the first season's love interests) it's likely that Wenclair will continue to surge in fic output.
>>
>>4025790
>https://archiveofourown.org/works/16065110/chapters/37509749
Thanks for the rec, this gave me the fuzzies.
>>
>>4146838
>>4146908
Got reminded of a HP fic I was reading forever ago on ff.net, forgot the name, tried to find it, couldn't. I was following it and everything, I believe. Maybe it was deleted? what a shame.
>>
File: 1700002620652778.webm (470 KB, 1280x720)
470 KB
470 KB WEBM
>>4149752
But when looking for it I found this oldie stopani fic with female OC protag, I remember if was a fun and frustrating mess to read
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3770199/1/When-Sable-and-Storm-Gray-Meet-Platinum-and-Amber

And this one, DA:Origins fic, very good read from what I recall, great party dynamic, and Alistair is competent. though involves rape at the start which was a bummer
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6559674/1/Thorns

Unfinished work, a K-ON! fic worth checking out. About HTT being street hooligans/gangers
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6254724/1/No-Thank-You

Actually here is that fic I was talking about, I found it after all. It's about post canon HP universe with original characters. Pretty good but abandoned
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2202283/1/A-Slytherin-in-Red-and-Gold
>>
>>4149674
>two women from Harry Potter that died a decade before the start of the story and have a combined three mentions throughout seven books
>top 10 yuri pairing
We really are this desperate aren’t we?
>>
>>4149674
More importantly what the fuck is up with this list and race? Why was that worth its own section in the sheet? Either people know the pairing and thus the races involved or it should simply not be relevant at all.
>I would totally read 6000 fics on a stupid obscure Harry Potter ship, but now that I saw it's a mixed race pairing I simply can't anymore!
How about they add age, height, cup size and blood type next? Just so we can be sure what exactly we are dealing with.
>>
>>4149566
Honestly no. So much of supercorp fanfic is pure fanon. There's a regular character in fanfics called Jess, she's always portrayed as Lenas fervently loyal assistant and confidant. She only exists in the show as an unnamed background character for one episode.
>>
>>4149780
>the data [in the Ship Stats posts] is presented in order to highlight the lack of fanfiction focused on women, F/F pairings, and People of Colour.
Says their meta page.

>>4149829
>>4149640
Thanks.
>>
>>4150533
Who actually uses Meta? Well, those stats don't come as a surprise. The two biggest factions in fanfiction are straight women writing BL and teenage boys writing power fantasies. F/F is always going to be niche.
>>
>>4151335
Yeah, but some idiots like to pretend writing fanfic is some great act of political liberation, so it's good to remind them it's mostly just white women fantasizing about gay sex.

>>4149770
Looks like they're mostly a background couple in fics set in the past. Search for them and see what happens if you exclude fics tagged m/m or multi.
>>
>[color]ette
I will complain against this until my last days, I swear.
>>
>>4151531
It's not wrong, so suck it up.
>>
I found this Dungeon Meshi fic where Falin eats out Marcille and then eats her body. I wouldn't even call it a dead dove fic because the cannibalism is really wholesome and loving.
https://archiveofourown.org/works/53187388
>>
>>4151531
I have seen this literally never
Stop reading trash fanfic
>>
>>4149770
There's something appealing about the marauders era f/f fanfics to me. I like getting to know the authors characterisations while knowing that there is inevitable tragedy looming over their romance
>>
>>4151553
Fuck it, I'll bite. Any Dorcas/Marlene recs?
>>
File: 1693969799466489.jpg (330 KB, 1442x2048)
330 KB
330 KB JPG
Craving stuff with "supersoldier literal killing machine and her handler who keeps her in check" power imbalance dynamic. Like Gunslinger Girl, which is not yuri, but a great manga nonetheless.
>>
>>4151568
I enjoyed these
https://archiveofourown.org/works/45309592

https://archiveofourown.org/works/38287942
>>
>>4151335
>Who actually uses Meta
Not the facebook meme. I meant meta in the actual sense of the word. The page that provides contextual information about the yearly stat observations.
https://fanlore.org/wiki/AO3_Ship_Stats
https://fanlore.org/wiki/Fandom%E2%80%99s_Race_Problem_and_the_AO3_Ship_Stats
>>
>>4151646
Holy shit, that article is a glimpse into the mind of the utterly deranged.
>>
File: A03ShipStats.jpg (762 KB, 976x2048)
762 KB
762 KB JPG
>>4149770
If you look at the full list there is actually a second one again using a character that is essentially mentioned in passing in one line. I was baffled by this too but apparently the HP fandom organized some kind of drive (due to perceived lack of LGBT rep) to write tons of slash fic using ultra-obscure pairings where the authors could basically just make up whatever they wanted about the characters

It does feel a little silly that they have propelled what might as well have been OCs far beyond actual yuri pairings that deserve attention but c'est la vie
>>
>>4151669
>could have gotten more Narcissa/Lily and instead get literal whos
>>
>>4151669
It's definitely silly. At that point why not just write with OCs? Was it something about being able to collectively come up with personalities for these characters and establish it as fanon?
And... desu where are all the Hermione/Luna/Ginny fics at? Not in the ot3 sense, just any two of them mixed and matched. I like any two of them shipped together but from what I can tell it's all just absent from Ao3. Am I missing something? Because all I'm seeing nowadays is endless Hermione/Bellatrix and... that doesn't really interest me any
>>
>>4151688

Part of it is because writing and reading already known characters and settings is some ways a lot easier than writing fully new stuff. It's not as if lots of things don't transfer to other things as well, genre conventions, setting conventions, character archetypes, historical knowledge and cultural context are all things that transfer. Consider that the entirety of the Arthurian legends are an overgrowth of the already overgrown stories about Uther, his nobody son mentioned once or twice grew up to take center stage, at the time, that's already all that setup work you that's already done.

Then there's also the fun of playing with the reader's knowledge of the original story, even if you completely throw it away and do your own thing, take your average pig slop and make changes and all those changes will play off the original. Now we have freedom fighter Edelgard in the occupation of whateverland, happily adopted daughter of Catherine, who has a tsundere thing for mysterious observer Rhea, who herself is merely a socially maladjusted dragon lady helping Flayn ferret out where her father has been abducted to. You have a story, that can stand on its own, while having the twin benefit of having already made pieces to blatantly repurpose as you please and also having those known pieces resonate with the original in another dimension with virtually no effort, if you do that with your own creation you have to make it some roman à tiroirs shit. Take more pig slop, Princess Elrica wanders the galaxy in a one of a kinda spacemech from her lost homeland, slowly healing from the atrocities her home culture has inflicted upon her, she eventually accepts that the onboard AI is not her friend and not needed and is merely programmed to play the role and push on all of her traumas and unplugs it and settles down to have science babies with a bridge bunny after the 20th imperial civil war.

No effort, plays intertextually, instant payoff with the reader.
>>
>>4151688
Ginny is too firmly attached to Harry in the source material to produce a lot of interest in pairing her with other people, especially for people whose introduction to the IP was the movies, since pretty much the entire rest of her character was omitted, and Luna is... Luna. Her characterization especially for movie-only people, with how completely spacey she is there, makes her more challenging to write in a romantic context and chemistry awkward. Hermione is the standout because she's a much bigger protag and there's so little chemistry between her and her canon love interest.

Then add to that Bellatrix being sort of tailor made for fanfiction. She has an extremely strong personality that extrapolates well into common fanfiction tropes (dominating, possessive), she's foeyay, her pureblood fanaticism makes that even more poignant given Hermione being muggleborn (borderline star-crossed). Her background framing makes her an interesting target for exploration in fanon. By that I mean that with her comes a whole big interesting tangle of characters and narrative opportunities: Narcissa, Malfoy, Draco and their situation, Andromeda's situation with Nymphadora and Tonks, pureblood aristocracy and family dynamics, the innerworkings of the Death Eaters and various members of that side, a political marriage to Lestrange, Sirius, Voldemort, went to school alongside Rita Skeeter, Arthur and Molly, was locked in Azkaban.

In comparison, Ginny brings almost nothing new to the table. She hangs out with/knows the exact same group of people Hermione does and has gone through the exact same events. Luna is much the same. It's hard for them to compete as interesting options with a heavyweight like Bellatrix. Not that I mind the other pairings, it's just pretty obvious why relatively few people pick them.
>>
>>4151731
Everything you sperg on about here literally just tells you why a Hermione pairing makes sense with Bellatrix and why crackship writers need to be whipped in a dungeon. You people need help. All of these stupid pairings with hetsluts that literally are married to men need to go.

Yeah using irrelevant nearly non-existent background characters is almost the same as writing OCs, but at least those aren't canonically het and in relationships with dudes. You can actually conceivably pretend they might have been gay or doing something with each other.

Rowling is a retard who never wrote lesbian subtext anywhere, so trying to pry it into the book will not work. It's a pointless exercize and it's clear why Harry Potter femslash basically is the least popular section of the fandom.
>>
>>4151771
*makes no sense
>>
You know I was thinking about it the other day and one of my favorite things in fanfiction and fiction in general is when you have one partner who in a moment of anguish and lack of control of their emotions, ends up fucking the other one only to deal with the regret afterwards and seeing how the relationship progresses from there. I love this trope so much in yuri
>>
I mean there's something special about playing in someone else's sandbox, particularly when you're not wanted by said person and insist on building sandcastles they wouldn't like.

Also despite how, let's say lacking, HP is both as far as /u/ goes and in general it is still very much a formative series for many netizens. Plenty of room for all sorts of schenagains even in her half-baked world that's in a fairly appealing package despite the lacking internals.
>>
>>4151771
>Everything you sperg on about
An interesting take for someone that's spent two weeks now shrieking about crackshipping. Are you unironically ACK or just trying to give him a run for his money?
>>
>>4151841
>everything I dont agree with is sperging
>everyone who says things I don't like is ACK
Boring.
>>
>>4151771
Anon stop being such a bitch and go read some Lycoreco fanfics, there are enough 50k+ to keep you entertained for a while and if you know portuguese there is a 400k+ highschool AU in that languague for some reason.
>>4151571
The closest thing I know like that is this FoZ fic https://m.fanfiction.net/s/10666431/1/ but I don't think it is really what do you want.
>>
>>4151858
>LycoReco
I don't watch bait. And I don't read fanfics of bait either, because the source material is an insult to yuri fans.
>>
>>4151858
>FoZ
ZnT would be a pretty good series to try to make a fic with the dynamic that >>4151571
was asking about. Either via crossover or just some original setting stuff.
>>
>>4151771
>nyooo don't do what I don't like
Shut up
>>
>>4151858
>https://m.fanfiction.net/s/10666431/1/
Is this yuri at least?
>>
>>4151915
Yes, it takes some time but it is a yuri harem and even has a b couple
>>
Anyone written fanfic for fanfics before? I'm catching up on the pokemon OCs fic I Will Touch The Skies which was mentioned here once or twice and after reaching the Sunyshore section (why the fuck is it not Sunnyshore BTW this is gonna drive me mad) the temptation to write some Grace/Cecilia/Erin scenes of Erin getting soft dommed is pretty strong.
>>
>>4152244
>Erin
isnt that some transgirl? why would you want so see that?
>>
>>4152249
Is she? I dunno, I just got to that section and didn't notice anything after her first couple appearances. I don't really care though.
>>
>>4152256
Well start caring, because tranny shit isn't wanted here.
>>
>>4152256
Maybe she wasn't, I don't remember exactly but there was someone like that during that arc.
>>
>>4151771
If you thought westerners shipping Hermione and Bellatrix is strange, imagine my confusion when I saw a Jap yuri fanfic for that weird isekai spider anime. Y'know, the one where the main character is literally a spider? I think the Light Novel title is "I'm a spider, so what?"
Screams yuri doesn't it?
>>
File: Ariel-Shiro.png (743 KB, 1000x1125)
743 KB
743 KB PNG
>>4152776
>Y'know, the one where the main character is literally a spider?
>Screams yuri doesn't it?
I mean, sorta weird to just make assumptions about a series you don't know anything about. MC evolves past being a regular spider fairly quickly, and her effectively best friend and closest companion is a very affectionate female demon lord.
>>
>>4152780
I guess that would explain it. And here I thought it was just another bestiality thing. If there is some yuri subtext in the actual LN that's already better than any Harry Potter fic.
>>
>>4152776
Isn't the MC from that series a trap?
>>
>>4152880
I'm no expert, as I have never touched it. All I know is that the protagonist is a female spider after getting isekai'd. I don't know what she used to be.
>>
>>4152880
You are probably thinking of the slime series.
>>
>>4152882
There are too many slime series. All I know is that the character called 'Rimuru Tempest' is a trap.
>>
>>4152902
But this is not a slime series, so how could you make that mistake?
Anyway, you slowpokes could have done five seconds of research instead of asking. The protag in the spider isekai was a girl even before reincarnating.
>>
>>4152918
Some people will take any excuse to talk about trans people here.
>>
>>4152918
>The protag in the spider isekai was a girl even before reincarnating.
She doesn't know...
Maybe it's better that way
>>
>>4152954
I mean, anon didn't say a human girl.
>>
>>4152776
>If you thought westerners shipping Hermione and Bellatrix is strange
It's not strange, just read Through Sand And Sea
https://archiveofourown.org/works/26815408/chapters/65418727
>>
>>4152946
talk is leaving the field too large, to bitch about them, constantly

let's have something good instead

https://archiveofourown.org/works/27258676
>>
>>4152954
Was I meant to say female? Bunch of pedantics around here. More importantly, the series isn't really on topic... yet. So unless someone coughs up that yuri fanfic we could drop this.
>>
>>4152962
I refuse.
>>
>>4151642
>https://archiveofourown.org/works/38287942
That one's actually really good, and it feels so nostalgic reading a Potterfic. Love Luna's drug-dealer mom.
>>
https://archiveofourown.org/works/36680302
Anon rec'd this last time, seemed cool but I got turned off by Tanya being reincarnated into a demon creature or whatever, does she stay like this the whole time?
Also looking into these two other youjo senki fics
https://archiveofourown.org/works/20693519/chapters/49153385
https://archiveofourown.org/works/21104360/chapters/50216396
Any thoughts on these?
Other recs for military stuff, maybe?
>>
>>4153131
War Chronicles is the one that updates the most consistently and is the most daring in it's plot given Tanya ends up in a bit of a throuple. Not sure why the demon stuff turns you off as it's a pretty minor thing outside of a shift to being a bit more monstrous in looks and behavior. If there was something to be bothered by in that fic it would be the religious stuff Tanya is some deep into as it feels weird on her imo.

Amon Emin Vult hasn't updated in forever and kinda got lost in the weeds of crossover characters near the end of what has been published. Still one of the better shows of how horny Tanya and Visha can be together.

Delinquency Record updates sometimes and takes quite a while to get to Tanya being grown up enough to get with Visha and figure out her own feelings and Visha's feelings. Fun amount of BDSM play flirting and almost as historical as AEV.

Sadly I'm not really aware of too much else in terms of YS fics where you'd get military stuff pretty easily. Ao3 hasn't had anything really tagged update recently and I've not felt inclined to search through SB or SV. Only recentish thing I can recc right now for YS at least is this

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/14212848/1/A-Young-Girl-s-Outer-Heaven

which at most currently teases some attraction on Tanya's side at least.
>>
>>4153131
I can recommend Amor Enim Vult. I could swear there was a sequel to that, but I have no idea where.
>>
>>4153183
>I could swear there was a sequel to that, but I have no idea where.
I want a sequel or a continuation. I love the idea of the "fix it" fic with technology gap on the national scale.

>>4153131
There is a YS crossover fic with the Slime (that was just mentioned above) where she gets isekaid again together with Mary Sue. Got some side mentions of m/m with the slime character, but it's nothing too focused.
I never seen/read the original slime thing and used google to figure out what characters are supposed to look like, but beyond that it's all well written and doesn't really need the knowledge of the canon.
Tanya isn't a pure military per se, but she gets a leadership role and helps organize the monster nation with her modern knowledge and understanding of things.
https://archiveofourown.org/series/2912904
>>
>>4153181
Tyvm for the write up anon
>Not sure why the demon stuff turns you off
I'm disgusted by humanoid characters having animal traits in general (wings/tail/horns). It's caused by a visceral disgust for f*rries.
>>
File: 1691370753331173.png (3.7 MB, 3561x2302)
3.7 MB
3.7 MB PNG
>>4153475
That's tough. I love kenomimi girls, and in that fic Tanya is basically just a human with wings and round horns and a tail (like shamiko sans wings). So are her love interests. Some of their demonic species do have hoofs but it's nicely integrated into the setting.
I hate furries as well but something like picrelated is lovely.
>>
>>4153477
>image
One of those girls seems to be pregnant.

>love interests
>plural
Huh.

Still, it's an AU too far removed from Youjo Senki. Might as well be its own thing. Losing the Youjo Senki references would remove nothing from the fic.
>>
>>4153481
It's a character joke on how she likes to eat.

And Tanya having experience from her previous life of war is playing a big role in her new life, so it kinda matters.
>>
>>4153481
A great chunk of YS fics go for alternative 2nd lives or delve into her 3rd life and beyond. What matters for a YS fic is having Tanya's fucked up little head in play.
>>
>call off work
>spend all morning writing fanfiction
If only I could get paid to do this.
>>
File: rLiNAZM.png (377 KB, 620x386)
377 KB
377 KB PNG
>>4154415
More productive than lying in bed for half a day reading it at least. Maybe just do what 50 shades did and write a fanfic but then change some stuff and try to get it published.
>>
>>4154415
A fair bit of people DO get paid to write fanfic. Just gotta find a niche and hustle it
>>
>>4154429
That niche is usually closer to furry foot fetish mpreg than wholesome yuri, though.
>>
So, anyone got any favorite yuri fics that are relatively obscure due to either being from fandoms that don't see a lot of yuri or because an author/site sucks at tagging?
>>
>>4154610
>This approach is just backwards
The approach is literally nothing but what it is on the surface. I'm curious about what people have found in unexpected places.
>>
>>4154625
>I don't even know what people think this thread is for.
Discussing fanfiction, which includes making requests of various levels of specificity.

I really don't get what is so hard about the criteria posited?
>>
Any Persona longfics, where the male protag is replaced with a girl, basically a story rewrite with improvements? I don't wanna play the games
>>
>>4154706
Just play the games anyway. At least P3P with the sapphic mod. I mean how much easier could it be than just literally playing the actual game with the official femC? The fem Joker mod is also honestly insanely quality for P5R.
>>
>>4154708
I didn't know there were mods for that. Cool, I'll check them out
>>
>>4154712
Yeah, let me add that Persona 3 Portable (the game with the selectable femC) even in vanilla state has one real yuri romance available and one implied one. So it's the most yuri Persona ever got. I still recommend the sapphic mod so you can actually get all the major female love interests for femC. The sapphic mod rewrites those romantic social links to be more suitable for lesbian romance too, so it's not just copy pasting the male MC's content.
The fem Joker mod for P5R is still being developed, but there is a playable build already. It offer 2 yuri romance options.
>>
So is this thread always full of idiots picking off-topic fights or did I choose the wrong week to visit?

>>4154713
>It offer 2 yuri romance options.
Who and who?
>>
>>4154715
>off-topic fights
It's literally one right-wing troll who escaped /pol/.
>who and who
I don't remember... just that I didn't particularily care for them. P5 has too many options, but the mod dev can't add that many romances. So they decided to do two male and two female romances.
>>
File: Angry Akarin.gif (870 KB, 303x332)
870 KB
870 KB GIF
>see Puella Magi Adfligio Systema recommended in the previous thread
>reach the halfway point
>Mami goes from being the cool senpai to having a meltdown the moment the MC leaves her sight
>Homura goes from the aloof girl with a secret to having a meltdown the moment the MC changes things, almost always for the better
The MC by now has spent more time solving meltdowns than getting anything done.
>>
>>4154717
OCs like this are generally trash. It would be nice if fanfic writers could learn to use the characters that are there. Though as this Madoka, fanfics like that already exist. It's probably the most fixer-fic heavy franchise in anime.
>>
>>4154715
>>4154716
I actually checked on the mod against after half a year and surprisingly the options increased. The four yuri roamance options are: Haru, Hifumi, Takemi, Ann.
Originally it was just Ann and Hifumi, so I was not very interested. Haru and Takemi are far better options.
>>
Good grief the janitors don't get enough thanks around here, where did all those kids who don't understand basic political concepts come from?

Either way,
>>4154603
https://archiveofourown.org/works/45723790/chapters/115065019
It is pretty hard to find some Ar Tonelico or Exa Pico F/F.
>>
>>4154603
I'm not sure if this counts, but I keep coming back to this Peppermint Patty/Marcie fic from 2005: https://archiveofourown.org/works/941089
>>
>>4154848
>janitors don't get enough thanks
Except they deleted almost nothing.
>>
>>4154857
Because they haven't cleaned up yet, they have however cleaned up a lot of trash in the last two or three weeks of this sort of thing happening.

Did you know that Sacred 1 and 2 have two whole F/F fics on AO3? Both are in Russian.
>>
>>4154895
I couldn't care less.
>>
>>4154603
https://archiveofourown.org/works/376961
Zimmy/Gamma from Gunnerkrigg Court are the original "toxic codependant yuri" but no one cares about that comic anymore.
>>
>>4154961
>anymore
No way it's still ongoing.
>>
Does anyone have a copy of this?
>https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7443158/1/And_We_Felt_True
>>
>>4155028
Pretty sure you can't download FF stories.
>>
>>4155028
Is it fairly old? Did you check the archive in the OP?
>>
>>4155191
I use WebToEpub extention to download and convert stories to Epub and upload to my kindle. It even works on a bunch of websites like SV and Scribblehub
>>
>>4143215
I finally finished all the recommendations and this was a real treat. Thank you anon. I underestimated the AdaShima community, because I did not expect to find so many gems among such a small fandom output. Quality one-shots and even a long fic! The adult AU one especially felt like reading an extra volume of the novels.
>>
>>4154997
He's keeping it going with months of boring random filler and it feels like nothing ever happens, and when something DOES happen it's resolved in the most anticlimatic way. Don't think it's ending anytime soon.
>>
>>4155195
>Is it fairly old?
aproximately from 2012 or a little erlier.
>Did you check the archive in the OP?
Yes, the mega doesn't have it. WBM has the snapshot of the url but the url itself displays the "story not found with this ID" error
https://web.archive.org/web/20120317012734/http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7443158/1/And_We_Felt_True
>>
>>4155241
https://files.catbox.moe/vb3uts.pdf
>>
>>4155251
Amazing find.

Thanks, sis!
>>
>>4155224
>AdaShima fanfics
How? It takes a Nobel in literature at the very least to get Adachi's autistic tirades right.
>>
>>4155450
The 6 page rant is mostly a meme because it is the most extreme moment in the novels. Adachi generally doesn't rant, she bottles it all up. She can barely speak a sentence most of the time. AdaShima is not a dialogue heavy series. It's all introspection.
The recommended fanfics mostly get the dynamic well.
https://archiveofourown.org/works/35871619
Slowtime might be slightly OOC, but alcohol is involved.
https://archiveofourown.org/works/37884448/chapters/94603114
Why Is This so HARD? captures the late stage dynamic of AdaShima the best. It's hard to differentiate from the actual novels.
https://archiveofourown.org/works/31289438/chapters/77352920
If They Hadn't Met On The Gym's Second Floor is an adult AU where AdaShima met much later, so they are intentionally different with Adachi definitely having her shit together more than as a teen.
https://archiveofourown.org/works/27517375
Tepid Happiness is mostly a fluffpiece about being sick, so the slight OOC is understandable.

I just read them all, so if anyone has questions I can share. I recommend them all as well.
>>
>>4155450
I've written three AdaShima fics, two from Adachi's perspective and one from Shimamura's and I didn't think it was particularly difficult to write from Adachi's point of view. She really doesn't go on rants while on dates with Shimamura, she's just extremely awkward and insecure which I thought was pretty fun to write.
>>
>>4155464
Personally I prefer reading Shima's POV. Adachi is just too limited. The moment she met Shimamura 90% of her braincells died and she has nothing else to think about. Giving her something to focus on outside of that is no easy task. Maybe her mother.
>>
File: GGPFtgTaQAAQ5_4.jpg (254 KB, 1200x1782)
254 KB
254 KB JPG
Hazbin is gonna be one of those fandoms where it's just a needle in haystack struggle to find fics. BL/straight girl dominated and Chaggie is canon, so you just get a million fics that are tagged with that relationship but just have them as a side couple. I wish Ao3 forced pairing tags to be attached as either main or background instead of people just rarely including (background) as a secondary tag.
>>
>>4155655
Or just let you restrict searches to the first listed pairing, since that's where people almost always put the main couple.
>>
>>4155661
You can already do that
https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/ao3-first-tag-search/bmbpikjcekglfidkmhafdelaiimbgnpa?pli=1
For chrome
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ao3-primary-ship-search/
For Firefox
It excludes all fics that don't have the ship tag as the first tag
If you don't want to use an userscript, then use "otp:true" in the search within results field. It excludes all fics that have ship tag other than the main ship
>>
>>4155840
>It excludes all fics that have ship tag other than the main ship
This isn't super useful, since lots of fics tag other pairings as well.
>>
>>4155884
Then use the script, sis. None of the options are perfect, but in my opinion, it's better to miss some fics than wade through shit trying to find a good yuri fic
>>
File: 1456143215659.jpg (36 KB, 800x450)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>4155889
>it's better to miss some fics than wade through shit trying to find a good yuri fic
Not when there's only a handful of yuri fics for the fandom in question. This strategy is only "better" when you're searching through something that has so many relevant results you can afford to miss some... which is a situation where you don't much need to filter to begin with.
>>
>>4155895
>>4155889
Also it seems like this doesn't modify actual search behavior it just checks individual entries on a search page for the tag in question, which means it might just blank out entries that have alternate but equivalent tags.
>>
>>4155840
Thanks, Anon, this is great. AO3 should implement this themselves so you wouldn't get empty pages, but even like this it's a major improvement. It even worked pretty well with the previously discussed Marlene McKinnon/Dorcas Meadowes tag.
>>
>>4154717
The fanon interpretation of mami's character is that the cool senpai bit is just a cope or facade for the traumatised and lonely girl. It's backed up a fair bit in the source material, so it's understandable why writers stick with it, but a more stoic take on her character is quite rare. Plus the setting is probably one of the most grim meguca settings, kinda hard to write it without trauma and mental damage. That being said I would agree it gets a bit OTT in Adfligio Systema.
>>
File: Iroha Tamaki.png (966 KB, 652x990)
966 KB
966 KB PNG
>>4154719
They could use the OG OC, but alas.
>>
>>4155251
RPF is pretty weird to me in general but I can't imagine reading a glee RPF a decade later after everything that has happened with the cast.
>>
>>4156152
A good ship doesn't have an expiration date, mate.
>>
>>4156174
But bad art does.
>>
>>4156174
I still enjoy faberry fics but I couldn't see myself shipping the actors. There's so much baggage now.
>>
>>4156189
I get that, RPF ain't everyone's cup of tea and often for good reasons too, there's a LOT of boundary crossing by creeps. But it's not all bad, it can be a very beautiful experience.
>>
>>4156174
Knowing half the teen cast is in the graveyard kinda puts me off the shipping mood.
>>
>>4156217
>half the teen cast
two, right?
>>
>>4156220
Three, the actors who played Finn, Puck and Santana.
>>
>>4156228
Oh yeah, the puck guy, forgot about that one.
I still don't see how that, on it's own, would interfere with shipping a ship none of them are even a part of tho, but whatever works best for you, sis.
>>
This is the button that allows me to pollute the universe with my degenerate thoughts. Without it, I wouldn't be able to stain the noosphere by posting a fic where a girl smells her sister's sweaty workout clothes, as I did today. Cherish this button.
>>
>>4157424
We'd rather have links to that instead of that button.
>>
>>4157424
Get a life.
>>
>>4152056
>>4151915
I've just read it until latest chapter and so far in little over 520k words there's no actual ongoing main romance. Some in background, some implied, but nothing that deserves a "main pairing" tag.
It's getting really close though, got a feeling in 50-100k more words Louise/Kirche will happen, with some options for poly/harem.
Overall really enjoyed it, especially the first part/arc, thank you for the rec. Now praying for an update ~twice a year.
>>
I know I'm late to the party, but is there a list of recommended Korrasami fics somewhere? I haven't really been able to turn up anything good on ao3.
>>
>>4157975
Didn't you know? Around here they only read fics from 15 year old het stuff. Canon yuri is a major no-go.
If you like AUs, this is my favorite from LoK with Korrasami heavily featured:
https://archiveofourown.org/works/4658958/chapters/10628718
>>
File: file.png (374 KB, 674x582)
374 KB
374 KB PNG
>>4151642
I finished reading the Hand that feeds and really liked it. Normally, it isn't the world's most promising sign when a Potterfic's heroine is basically an OC good Slytherin who's stronger than Voldemort because of indigenous magic, but it works here because the second half is so damn bleak Dorcas's power doesn't really matter. That, and she's kind of a fuck-up when it comes to her relationships.

Also lol'd at at the author turning the book's "a mom's love is the most powerful spell" into a blood magic ritual Lily sacrificed a friend for.
>>
>>4158749
>heavily featured:
What the hell does this mean
The story is either about them as leads or it's not
>>
>>4158840
They are the protagonists. I'm saying the ship is heavily featured. It's not the sole focus. Sheesh.
>>
>>4157424
Link it, coward. Let us build an egregore of this.
>>
>>4158989
https://archiveofourown.org/works/53996341
>>
fuck authors who delete their stories
it was good enough to leave it unfinished publicly for 8 years but now you have a schozo breakdown and erase everything?
>>
>>4159119
Check the web archive. For that matter, download it from there as the archive is in danger of being wiped out due to DMCA bullshit.
>>
>>4158839
So the author decided to have their cake and eat it too with both power fantasy and misery porn at the same time?
>>
>>4159246
If that's how you want to put it. The approach is justified by canon, since clearly the first war absolutely sucked for the good guys. The two pieces of information the books mention about Dorcas Meadowes are her being a member of the Order and someone Voldemort killed personally, which implies she was powerful.
>>
File: 1583873948818.jpg (257 KB, 1009x1229)
257 KB
257 KB JPG
>I have this story all planned out guys!! it's all smooth sailing from now on
>21/25 chapters
>last update 2021
>>
>>4160520
Same thing happened to me, I knew exactly where my story was going but I ran out of energy and never recovered.
>>
>>4160520
I wonder what the completion rate for fics over 50k is.
>>
>>4160557
There are 76,955 fics on AO3 that have a word count above 50k, are marked incomplete and haven't been updated in at least a year. There are 201,887 completed fics with the same word count. That would give a completion rate around 72%, if you accept my assumption that a fic that's been on hiatus for a year probably won't be completed.
>>
Up for some quality faberry goodness?

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7610523/1/So-Falls-the-World

>Quinn the slave turned Gladiator
>Rachel the daughter of a roman patrician

Binged it in one sitting, amazing shit right here.
>>
>>4151642
>https://archiveofourown.org/works/38287942
Damn, that was sad on multiple fronts. Still a nice read, thank you for the rec.
>>
>>4160737
Weird, that seems crazy high. I feel like 9/10 fics for any fandom/pairing I go search for are at X/? and haven't been updated in forever. Completely anecdotal though, obviously.
>>
Whump?
>>
File: honk.jpg (116 KB, 1080x796)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>4160737
Completion rate for all f/f fics is around 73%. For f/f fics >50.000 it's 50%
>>
>>4164842
>>4160737
Is it better to start a fic and never finish it, or never start the fic to begin with?
>>
>>4165223
Start and never finish, if you start it you might inspire someone to either steal your ideas or start their own version out of anger at you for not finishing it.
>>
>>4165223
It's like Miyomoto said, an unfinished fic may be finished, but a fic never started is never finished.
>>
>>4146838
How's Magia Record, fic-wise?
>>
>>4166725
From what I see, deader than disco.
>>
>>4166725
I don't really go looking for it but I know it's a good chunk of the plot of The Soulmate Timeline.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/47843671/chapters/120616627

Which is a pretty fun, if fanficy, way to ship the full quintet together.
>>
File: GIbcAABl9bl6b8s.jpg (202 KB, 1200x800)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
What are the best Korra/Asami fanfics?

I kind missed out on this whole thing back in 2015 for various reasons.
>>
>>4166725
>magic record fic-wise
around 2020 me and a few friends (at the time) made a concerted effort to write as much smut for magia record as we could for the explicit purpose of having as high a percentage of the total fic/word count on Ao3 as we could. At one point our group had half the word count of all magireco fics. It's drifted away from that a lot since then but it was fun at the time. (Not that any of it was especially good but one of them was supposedly a published author. Never got a confirmation on that though)
Nowadays it's less smut-centered but there's way less Arc 2 content than one might expect, given the (I'm pretty sure) continued success of the game in japan after the na server shut down
>>
File: 1641255774422.jpg (1.6 MB, 1800x2500)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
>>4172118
Amazing. now if if you can do that with the league of legends series.
>>
>>4172131
>league of legends
>18k total fics
Never really got into league but I could be per$uaded
>>
>>4172111
I'd also be interested in any real good ones. I always found their dynamic to be pretty bland.
>>
File: 171052225628746623.jpg (109 KB, 891x810)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>wrote fics like a machine while I was a stupid high school student
>get the urge to write again as an adult idiot because the ships I like have no good content
>hate everything I write
>doubt that I'm doing the characters justice
>give up
How to break through my cringe?
>>
>>4173572
The trick is to have zero shame.
>>
>>4173572
someone posted a comment on a fic i made about forever ago and i decided i'd write again some more, i'm chucking my sixth draft in the trash as i write this but hope springs eternal
>>
>>4173572
Realize that you only hate what you write because you're more self critical than you used to be, not because your writing is bad.
>>
>>4173572
>be in a micro fandom
>last fic updated over a year ago
>read everything in the fandom, including mega cring and bad ESL writing
>I want moar…but there isn’t any…and will never be
>I have to write something. But…but anon, you can’t write…it will be bad
>Discover to my own surprise that I like writing
I am in the same boot, anon, perhaps, even worse. The counter on my fic almost never goes up, but remember that it is about you having fun with your fic and pairing. Someone out there will appreciate what you wrote and had the courage to post.
>>
What's one of your pet peeves when it comes to fanfic aside from grammar errors?
I, for one, dislike when they excessively explain the character's thoughts via narration.
>>
>>4174941
I feel like a lot of fics introduce angst and then resolve it almost immediately. I'd much rather it be drawn out, slow suffering. I don't care for misunderstandings or minor drama being extended, but when it's stuff like a character's self-loathing, they should spiral a bit instead of just being alright after one talk.
>>
>>4174941
POV errors, blunettes, excessive epithets in general, letting out a breath they didn't know they were holding...
>>
>>4174941
Aside from the obvious stuff (spelling, grammar, switching POV mid paragraph, a/b/o etc) I hate when there's no attempt at verisimilitude. Especially when characters don't act like they're part of the setting. For instance a character in a historical setting with 21st century attitudes and speech patterns. I don't expect authors to write dialogue in old English but come on.

Also the POV randomly voicing her thoughts out loud.
>>
>>4174941
I dislike it when, outside of one shots, the relationship starts to feel like it's in a bubble. If a girl kisses a girl in the middle of the woods and nobody is around to observe it, is it really gay? Friends, family, enemies or anyone else need to find out at various rates and have opinions.
>>
>>4174941
I was reading an OLD fanfic from 2002 because I recently got into Sailor Moon and one of my biggest issues with it and other fics is when the author focuses on using the same phrase to refer to the character. "The raven-haired girl" and "The Fire Senshi" repeatedly in a chapter. Also they used dollars as currency but I can gloss over that
>>
>>4175197
It's not Absence by Kirika, is it?
>>
>>4174941
Stuff like 'the [color]ette'
>>
>>4174941
This isn't really a pet peeve but it has recently stuck out to me how often I see yuri fanfiction refer to the 'crook' of someone's neck while I almost never see the phrase used in other writing
>>
>>4175224
It's not the fault of writers that the crook of a girl's neck happens to be one of the best places you can bury your face.
>>
>>4175224
Burying your face in the crook of a girl's neck is peak romance and sensuality. Perfect for yuri
>>
>>4175208
It absolutely is that
>>
>>4174941
Narrating in the present tense is the worst trend to ever afflict fanfiction, bar none.
>>
>>4175224
How about touching the small of her back?
>>
>>4175590
I never got this issue. Now 2nd person narrated stories, that's a pox.
>>
>>4174941
Kids
>>
https://archiveofourown.org/works/53714953/chapters/135975391
My Daphne Greengrass/Hermione Granger fic where Daphne gets creative with enchanting things.
>>
>>4174941
First person
Present tense
Unsexy underwear
Detailed sex scenes
>>
>>4176044
>Detailed sex scenes
Depends on how detailed. There's a point where less isn't more
>>
>>4176185
Sex scenes should be poetic, and constructed around floral euphemisms.
>>
>>4176434
Not only should they be poetic, but actual poems conforming to strict formal requirements and utilizing a complex system of floral symbolism incomprehensible to the uninitiated.
>>
>>4176596
I want a haiku about fingering a pussy
>>
>>4176642
Rose offered at night
Her hands caress the petals
A nightingale sings
>>
>write crack fic
>expect zero engagement since the pairing is pretty out there
>get comments from readers saying they now ship the girls together
Feels like I'm infecting people with some kind of yuri disease.
>>
>>4176659
Give us the link sis
>>
>>4176044
>Unsexy underwear
What does this mean? You don't like it if a character is wearing something other than lace lingerie?
>>
>>4176783
A better question would be why would anyone describe someone wearing granny panties.
>>
I think it can be sexy if one of the girls is just wearing normal cotton underwear when her girlfriend undresses her because it makes sexy time seem impromptu and spontaneous. Same thing with cunnilingus after school/work and before a bath.

>>4176780
One girl is excruciatingly het in canon so you're going to make fun of me. I just want to make all the girls gay.
>>
>>4176796
>One girl is excruciatingly het in canon so you're going to make fun of me. I just want to make all the girls gay.
Where do you think we are? /u/ has been shipping straight girls for literal decades and still does so after we started winning regularly.
>>
I hate how the Bottoms fics scene completely died down after just a couple of months...then again i wanted fics about Stella Rebecca being a dyke and Brittany going gay in college...so i was fucked either way.
>>
>>4176789
Because it fits the character?
>>
>>4176789
Sexual repression is hot. Especially the juxtaposition with the more sexually active gf who buys lace lingerie and teases the other girl. Granny panties in fanfiction FTW.
>>
Reading a fic that I hadn't been following since 2020 and the author decides to randomly insert a character from a completely different IP into the story. Not even a cameo or a reference, they're just part of the main cast now I guess. Just because of some recent fixation. (And they made the character a troon to boot, because of course). What a fucking joke. Couldn't remove the bookmark fast enough.
>>
I'm so tired and bored of vampire AUs, these damn glorified mosquitoes are so overrated. The only fantastical creatures blander than them are elves
>>
>>4182657
Vampire AU coffee shop soul mate markings
>>
>>4182659
+ fake dating
>>
>>4182757
+ /reader
>>
>>4182657
Where are you even seeing vampire AUs? Outside of franchises that actually involve vampires I don't think I've ever come across one browsing yuri fics
>>
>>4182659
>>4182757
The four horsemen of trash fanfics

>>4183537
I see them often in Hoyoverse fandoms, they even insert that into completely nonsense situations like "A socially awkward gamer vampire meets a lonely rich CEO."
Sometimes they even turn the werewolf-coded woman into a vampire,
>>
>>4183537
It's decently common with Danganronpa fics, especially Kyouko x Celestia.
>>
>>4183577
>Kyouko x Celestia
Where Celestia asks Kyouko about her report on the magic of friendship, but Kyouko didn't do it so she has to borrow it from Yui or Ayano. And there's a vampire somewhere.
Many such cases!
>>
just finished horizon forbidden west, give me some good fics. Preferably Aloy with her gf Seyka but I'll take anything good. it doesn't even explicitly need to be /u/, it just need to not have het
>>
File deleted.
any recs for pic related? i love small dainty girls domming tall buff ones
>>
>>4183978
Where to even start with this...
1. That's a tranny. That artist draws trannies that look like women.
2. This is a fanfic thread, not an original works thread. How about you don't put the cart before the horse? Pick some original work you want a fanfic for. Otherwise you can go to the general yuri or new releases thread and ask for recommendations there.
3. No.
>>
>>4181144
>>4183978
>>4184449

Unbunch your underwear.

Also To The Stars has updated:
https://archiveofourown.org/works/777002/chapters/139482787
After the squid turned out to be what I expected, time to see the TCF conspiracy turn out to be what I expected: FA Magical Girl AIs... Probably, there's nothing definite.

As is tradition, the chapter was "almost ready" for three months, which goes to show we really are all alike.
>>
>>4184539
Oh wow, Oneechan's been at it for more than a decade.
>>
>>4166807
>Soulmate Timeline
I kinda wish they included Hitomi as a 6th soulmate. But the Homura x Mami stuff really works in this setup.
>>
>>4184646
Eh, only thing Hitomi has going for her in the one timeline where she gets a crush on Homura. Otherwise she's just around to eat a relationship opening to free other characters to be placed in their own relationships.

The holy quintet is a very good balance and about as big as is reasonable for the polycule to get without too much overlap in character traits and the dynamics between a given set within the full polycule. Like Sayaka and Hitomi would have a lot of overlap when it comes to Madoka and that would repeat with their own relationship amongst others
>>
>>4146791
I like DezoPenguin

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/746291/DezoPenguin
>>
>>4184921
Let's get you to bed, Obaachan.
>>
I just want to read Azshara x Vashj fluff. Why is the world such a terrible place?
>>
>>4173572
I have a similar issue
>used to write a fuck ton of smut in high school
>have plans for various smut fics
>write thousands of words up to the smut
>feel to embarrassed to actually write the smut
>shelve it while I work on more melodrama angst stuff
I have resolved to just keep grinding out regular stuff for my current shipping brainrot but eventually I'll have to write smut for the two.
>>
File: DJQvZSGX0AALami.jpg (442 KB, 2048x1219)
442 KB
442 KB JPG
>>
>>4185316
I started off writing smut but I only write fluff anymore, mostly because I have more fun writing fluff. It took me seven years of posting fics before my fic with the most hits was a fluff fic instead of a porn fic, damn.
>>
>>4185316
>>4185334
I feel kinda good with writing smut detached of anything but I want to write an actual story to cure my ship brainrot. Although at this point writing anything down would be an improvement, I'm just writing things in my head trying to find my angle and the open tab mocks me.
>>
File: 1516134253069.png (2.3 MB, 1080x1920)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB PNG
>>4185566
>to cure my ship brainrot
lmao good luck
>>
File: please_respond.jpg (181 KB, 750x750)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
>>4183876
surely

SURELY

there has to be good Aloy/Seyka fics???????
>>
>subscribe to nine authors
>none of them ever post anything
Now, I subscribed to about half of them when I was binging UraPi fics but damn, it's like that button is cursed.
>>
>>4185972

It's a hostile universe thing, I started writing again and suddenly I have a roof leak.
>>
Do you all notice or care about mistakes involving this type of punctuation? https://whitneyhemsath.wordpress.com/2020/01/15/how-to-punctuate-dialogue-commas-ellipses-em-dashes-and-more/
>>
>>4186266
Absolutely not. When it comes to fine detail standards vary and many institutions just make up their own because fuck you. Even the article you linked mentioned that it follows Chicago and standards vary. So, up until AO3 rolls out their certified standard style guide, which I sincerely hope will never happen, I refuse to give a single fuck. If someone is paying you to follow a specific style sheet, do it. If you're not getting paid and yet you still follow some autistic standard, you're most likely in academia and should escape at the first opportunity, preferably through the nearest window if not excessively high off the ground, an probably anyway even if the fall might kill you. Less painful and faster.
>>
>>4186266
No, and as >>4186371 said
>many institutions just make up their own because fuck you
To begin with there's not a ton of consistency for a lot of these minute details. I guess on a related note, I DO absolutely hate when people use something other than quotation marks as quotation marks, which I guess is a language-specific standard. Shit like this:

>-It’s an outgoing investigation- Tanaka responded
>>
>>4186371
Does it make life easy when you have shit taste? Does it make the slop taste like gourmet cooking?
>>
>>4186266
When it comes to formatting/Grammer issues that do not impact legibility I have a tolerance for forgiveness. At the end of the day you're trying to tell a story and if to do so you have to bend rules then go right ahead.
It only really becomes a problem when they start being annoying about repeated format screws or when someone hears something to this effect and think they're above basic legibility concerns.
>>
Are there some recommendations for yandere fics?
>>
>>4186375
>-
Probably spanish speakers or Brazilians. I rarely read anything in my native language, so even I find this kinda weird
>>
>>4186266
As long as it is minimally consistent, I don't care
>>
>>4186266
Depends on how egregious the errors are. I'm more likely to be annoyed by things like
>not giving new speakers a new line
>overuse of stuttering and ellipses
>poorly structured dialogue scenes where it's difficult to follow who's talking
>use of capitals or underlining for emphasis
>>
>favorite author turns out to be bipolar and deletes everything and scrubs their existence from the internet on a whim
>>
>>4186390
Point me in the direction of the nearest standardization authority on the English language whose criteria consist of more than "our editors want it this way" and I'll concede you have a point. Until then, I'll happily call your slop gourmet cooking if you pay me. If you won't, I will not pretend that the difference between em-dashes or hyphens makes the slightest difference in the quality of the average fanfic.
>>
>Gomezification of Wednesday Addams
Explain this.
>>
>>4186773
Wednesday steadily begins to act like her father when it comes to her love interest.
>>
>>4186786
Like kissing her arm when said love interest speaks French?
>>
>>4186773
Did anyone ever write a Wednesday/Enid fic where Wednesday doesn't turn into a lovesick wet cat?
>>
>>4184539
>To The Stars keeps updating, a decade later
Next you'll tell me that Kuugen stills writes.
>>
>>4184539
I remember reading this before Rebellion came out and I decided to re-read it from the beginning once it was finished. I've been waiting over 10 years, mental.
>>
>>4186898
After all this time we are finally getting into the main plot, sure, there's a lot of setup that is good at setting up what comes next and making sure to stay on the correct side of suspense vs surprise but holy shit that's a lot of stuff to get at the stuff. I suppose that's partially because I discount some of the military action, but I respect the willingness to extend the setup through the whole act one without flinching.
>>
>>4186521
Many such cases.
That's why you should save everything you (want to) read.
>>
File: fug.png (52 KB, 836x91)
52 KB
52 KB PNG
>>4186521
At least orphaning works is a thing now. I kind of hope I still had the stuff I nuked 10 years ago.
>>
>>4188919
Just don't ever write anything you brainstorm and then you never have to worry about deleting and losing it, that's my strat.
>>
Any tips for writing yuri smut? I want to avoid any typical mistakes or cliches.
>>
>>4191820
That's a very broad question and difficult to answer if you don't narrow it down a bit. In general, though, if I could suggest a single guideline to follow, it would be to tone down the graphic details and add more emotion, more buildup, more anticipation. I think going into too much graphic detail for its own sake leads to a lot of the issues that we see with smut in general, such as having to come up with twenty different words for pussy simply because seeing the word twenty time on a single page gets old, writing about all kinds of folds, ministrations, flowers, and lower lips. Yes, I've read too much yuri smut.
>>
:( I finally watched the devil wears prada and anticipated some good fic reading but I read Truth and Measure first and nothing else feels right in comparison. Personally I could do without a pregnancy plotline but the writing was so good, god damn it.

Anyone have any movie+fic perfect pairs like that?
>>
>>4146791
So I've sat here the last week trying to figure out how to write a Legend of Korra/Invincible crossover that isn't really a crossover its just Korra is in Invincible and she's a Viltrumite.
>>
>>4193851
Korra in Invincibile but she's still the Avatar and just powerscale bending up to being relevant whilst fusing her and her powerset with the setting. Like Immortal has known a number of her past lives and she's at least GotG level of a powerhouse.
>>
>>4193886
Hmm.
You'd just have to visit powerscale wiki and figure out at what level to upscale the bending and stuff.
On a side note, power scalers on this autist wiki say she's moon level with avatar state lol.
>>
>>4193897
>barely moon level with a non-permanent powerup
That puts her on the lower end of Viltrume shenanigans.
>>
>>4193903
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Korra
Lol. Anyway, to the drawing board.
>>
>>4193897
I'd say you should add a mix of just being so good at (supernatural) martial arts that she can pull a karate kid and punch out knockoff kryptonians, can manipulate super beings/fuckery with bloodbending and energy bending, and the modern white lotus bankrolling her and getting her extras like bendable super metals of sci-fi and/or magical origin to utilize with her bending.
>>
>>4193925
I like how you think. I wish supernatural stuff played more of an aspect in the series. Especially with a certain thousand year old person. Ah well.
>>
>>4193964
I think it's a consequence of the MC being sci-fi powered. Still it's not like supernatural shit doesn't crop up regularly between that gag with the egyptian tomb and more than a few curse bestowed powers being around.
>>
>>4193964
Plus its fanfiction and you have the freedom to do what you want.
>>
>>4193964
>supernatural stuff
In Korra or in Invincible? I don't know Korra, but there's not a lot of supernatural happenings in Invincible, other than a demon detective and Monster Girl's curse.
>>
>>4194002
Invincible.
>>
Is there a madohomu fic about their daughter going to the past to help her mother fix stuff or did I dream it up?
>>
File: aloy.png (3.09 MB, 1200x1200)
3.09 MB
3.09 MB PNG
Gonna shill my Horizon Aloy/Seyka fic

https://archiveofourown.org/works/55403446/chapters/140573242#workskin

Summary: Aloy and Seyka visit the Nora. Along the way, they must also figure out the cause of strange happenings in their world. [Travelogue, Aloy/Seyka]

[They sailed a paper boat on a sea aflame.]

2/6 chapters done right now. It's actually fully finished, I'm releasing a couple of chapters a week. Follows up on Aloy and Seyka's relationship as they get involved in a plot about AI
>>
>>4195590
>It's actually fully finished, I'm releasing a couple of chapters a week.
Never understood this. If it's finished, why not just post it all at once? Is maximizing your visibility really that important?
>>
>>4196077
not the author, but it's usually more fun to wait for stuff instead of binging it at once. You can see that with streaming shows.
>>
>>4196077
Nta, but yes. If you release 1 or 2 chapters a week, not only are more people going to see it, but more people are going to leave comments, which are pretty nice to get
>>
>>4195590
>Horizon fic
Blessed. May your road lead you to warm sands.
>>
>>4196121
That's more just to facilitate discussion over months instead of a couple days. Are people really going to be discussing a fanfiction like that?
>>
>>4196338
Sometimes, yeah. Usually when recommending stuff to friends, or when the fandom discord has a fic channel. Every once in a while, re-reading a fic and talking with people in the comment section, or making fanart and memes based on a fic
>>
>>4196077
doesn't make sense to release a multi-chapter fic at once. Chapters are natural breaks.
>>
How is there not a single oneeloli fanfic with Ellie from The Last of Us. It's all het
>>
>>4196988
be the change you want to see
>>
File: 1687054051041914.jpg (903 KB, 1920x1080)
903 KB
903 KB JPG
Can someone recommend a long K-ON!/BTR/Bang Dream/D4DJ/whatever else fic? The more words the better. With all those band/music shows recently I am craving some band yuri fics.
>>
>>4196077
>Is maximizing your visibility really that important?
as a reader yes. if all the good lengthy stuff was droppd all at once and got minimum attention, then I wouldn't find it when searching by hits/kudos
>>
File: 1699245990704712.jpg (71 KB, 500x556)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
I'm writing my first fanfic ever for mysterious reasons and waaaah why is writing sex scenes so tough. All the AO3 girlies make it look so easy but I'm over here hyperfixating on the specific actions and layout and overall flow and getting so stuck. I've developed a lot of respect for the people who can quickly bang out smut that's casually hot and well written.
>>
>>4199246
>first fanfic
>starts with smut
Amateur move.
>>
>>4199493
I know right. I was like oh how hard can it be it's just sex. Yeaah. Anyway it helps kinda to think of that old two cakes metaphor and stuff.
>>
>>4199494
I'm saying you should try to write a real story and see if you even got the chops for normal character work before you try yourself at something more advanced.
>>
>>4199495
I don't get it, if smut isn't a real story according to you then shouldn't it be EASIER to write? It's not like I'm going for something super elaborate, I'm gonna end at like 7k words or so.
>>
>>4199497
No. A real story can be simple, but it gives you the tools to understand how to write properly. If you get character interactions and spatial awareness and body language down in a proper story you eventually gain the skills necessary to write a proper sex scene.
While I think smut fics are absolute trash with no value of their own (sex scenes in long form works as climaxes or pay-offs are fine), they do require an innate understanding of how to express intimacy, usually without the important build-up of a proper story behind them. It's like going from sitting on the couch to sprinting in a marathon without a warm-up. Not easy for inexperienced writers.
>>
>>4199500
>While I think smut fics are absolute trash with no value of their own
Then why are you posting in the fic thread of a red board?
>>
>>4199503
Oh, not this childish retort again. Not only is there no blue yuri board, /u/ has always been more than a trashy porn board anyway. Discussion threads are the core of this community. And you really have to reach to consider this a viable response to someone saying smut fanfics are trash. If you had deigned to finish that sentence that got your knickers twisted, you'd have seen that I don't dislike sex scenes per se.
I can tell you don't have the intellectual honesty to engage with, so I will just ignore your bleating from here on, if you don't mind.
>>
Leaving that aside for now, I'm actually here on a fool's errand. I'm supposed to find a good yuri Ace Attorney fic. While AO3 has like 150 pages of that to my surprise, the first page already has like 3 Apollo/Klavier trans fics labeled as f/f. That is... a level of bad that makes me violently ill and instantly made me lose faith in the f/f community of this fandom.

The rest I saw are all very short Maya/Franziska fics, which are much better. But they do kind of lack substance.
>>
>>4199497
Everything's easy to write, the difficulty comes when when you want the writing to be good.

My issue with smut, despite having written it and continuing to read it, is that a lot of it is absolutely interchangeable and often everything that makes it worthwhile beyond simple self-indulgence - a perfectly valid reason to write fanfic, mind you - is often hidden in the details around in the details and context around the smut. Good writers can make the smut itself interesting beyond formulaic descriptions of clits, fingers, and the like, but after 20 years of reading fanfic, I find myself steering clear of simple PWP/smutfic without much in the way of context or buildup. Such writing tends to be incredibly popular though and often gets lots of views and kudos.

Don't take this as a criticism of amateur writing and fanfic in general, though. The difference between amateur and professional writing isn't defined by writing quality, but rather in whether the author is paid to write or not.
>>
File: 1711101116228356.jpg (102 KB, 632x478)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>4199508
Oh yeah, even though I'm doing smut I'm still making sure there's buildup and pacing. Nothing sexual happens for the first like 3k words so far and that might be more like 5k by the time I'm done. I've read fics where the the sex starts in the second paragraph and wow yeah that's such rapid pacing it can pretty much only be consumed like popcorn. I feel like sex scenes work better when they're on the shorter side anyway.
>>
>>4199508
You know very well that amateur is not used to mean "unpaid writer" by most people.
>>
>>4199509
>3k words
>build up and pacing
Seriously, maybe it's my standards that are too high...
>>
>>4199506
I feel your pain. At last tag your shit correctly so we can exclude it.
>>
>stacked season
>no motivation to write
I was about due for writer's block anyway.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.