[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1718597027060.jpg (51 KB, 500x500)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
Have you ever dreamed of making your own game? If so, are you the ideas guy or the skilled dude?
>>
neither haha
;-;
>>
hi
>>
>>680459513
Damn
>>
I dabbled in making games 20 years ago when I was a kid and just fucking around in Game Maker 5. I remember making a basic turn-based RPG with Gir as the protagonist but didn't really get all that far with doing anything other than a very basic battle system.
>>
File: 98540985909045.png (218 KB, 600x579)
218 KB
218 KB PNG
>>680459452
I tried to be both, but lost my way,
Ended up as neither, come what may.
Life comes at you fast, like a rocket's flight,
So be ready to catch it, with all your might.
Or else a nigger finds your butt too tight.
>>
I have some ideas. I've settled on an easier idea that shouldn't require too much bonkers programming or even detailed art while still potentially remaining very interesting. Trying to gather my thoughts in some sort of a design doc.
>>
>>680459452
The ideas guy for now. I got kino on my mind, pizza on my hands.
>>
>>680459452
I have lots of ideas, and I know how to code. I'm just a really lazy and unmotivated fucker.
>>
>>680459452
I studied comp. science in a game-dev oriented program, so I got to make a few game prototypes with other groupmates. I definitely was the least skilled one and probably the one who thinks the most about video games. That meant the other guys executed on building the game probably 10x as well as I did, but desu their ideas were myopic and there was a lot of shit in our "final product" that just made me think "I would never even touch this game myself." and I remember really long and boring arguments over how the different spells should affect status ailments.

It really was just a bunch of hippie indie idiots presenting the stuff they knew from their own favorite game projected as their own ideas, like Hyperlight Drifter (the artwork) and Yu-Gi-Oh (The spell design) and the story was just me taking some movie references and then the language-nerd started writing so much text that we had to remove the intro of the game because it was too much for our testers.

I ended up basically just making a lot of documentation and sound design for a hallway where music volume goes up and down in proximity, because it makes the crowd in the arena heard as you approach it.

When evaluating the lead programmer said to me "Dude you are a programmer-helper, not a main programmer." and he was the only guy I admired in the group. He had natural finesse for putting best-practice code together and super intuitive ideas on how to implement game-design. The rest of us were kind of uninspired brainlets trying to wannabe our favorite game without an ounce of original thought, and I just had no skill.
>>
File: 1661406831347.jpg (50 KB, 736x862)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>680459452
I'm the blackrock investor who personally makes sure the game is shit.
>>
>>680460202
I am exactly you, but it was an arcade shooter. Passed around a flashdrive with my buddy when we took turns working on it.
I wish I had the motivation to get back into the swing of it. It's more fun working in a group, but I've turned into a hermit.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.