[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Steam deck or rog ally? I think the ally is better in every aspect, I also want to use it docked for some AAA titles like cyberpunk or starfield and the Steam deck can't run them, problem is the steam deck is currently on sale and the base model is half the price of the ally...so very tempting.
I could buy the ally used but the battery is already poor so to buy one with hundreds of cycles bugs me
>>
>>681382664
UP HELP ME YOU FAGGOTS
>>
Nigga if you're gonna just play it docked then get a PC. Steam deck wins because of track pads.
>>
>steam deck or garbage chinkshit that barely works
gee
>>
>>681382664
There's virtually no reason to use the Ally unless you intend to play AAA Call of Duty and Fortnite which have EAC faggotry. Deck runs laps around it at low TDP usages.
>>
>>681385240
No just, also
>>
>>681382664
I have the rog ally and i swear by it. My roommate has the smelly steam deck and things I hear him talk about doing seem insane to me.
>>
File: 1686226198581432.jpg (917 KB, 1920x1080)
917 KB
917 KB JPG
>>681382664
Alright so here's the deal. I love handhelds sooo fucking much. I think handheld gaming is top tier comfy gaming. I LOVE this era of handheld gaming computers. I have a steam deck. I fucking love this thing. It works and it works so god damn well. So much so, that I don't give a shit about what comes out or how much "better" or "stronger" it is. The steam deck fucking works.

Having those track pads is an absolute necessity for these handhelds. If a game doesn't work with controller, well you have the trackpads and they work like a dream. The speakers are fantastic. The battery life is perfectly fine for me because I'm always near an outlet when I use it. The absolute unsung hero is Steams customizable bindings. Having COMPLETE control over your binding for any game is a necessity you never knew you needed.

Emulation seems to work perfectly fine as far as I've seen. I've only played Monster Hunter Freedom and it works perfectly fine. You can even set up a program to have cloud saves between the deck and your main pc for games that don't have it, including emulated ones.

Steam supports this thing fully. There are so many games that are listed as "unsupported" that work right out of the box. Even if a game is legitimately unsupported, odds are there is some work around that a simple google search can help with. Game companies see the value in it and are willing to put in the extra effort to get their games to support it.

I don't know jack shit about the dock because I only use it handheld. Cyberpunk is Verified for the steam deck. It probably runs like shit, but it runs. I'm sure I'm forgetting a thousand other reasons like the ease of being able to replace parts, or the fact that parts are easily available in the first place, the autistic Linux community and whatever crazy shit they do with it, or cool shit like gyro controls and capacitive touch thumbstick. Steam made a device that just fucking works and goes above and beyond expectations
>>
>>681386757
>The steam deck fucking works.
I mean every game i checked on proton db had one problem or another, there was always someone who wrote "audio crackling", "some objects have glowing colors", "artifacts" amd whatnot. And the deck is standard hardware.
>>
File: 1613817788802.jpg (22 KB, 480x480)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>681387303
Works on my machine
>>
File: IMG_0741.jpg (2.56 MB, 4032x3024)
2.56 MB
2.56 MB JPG
>>681382664
Sold my deck a few days ago. I’m selling my ally.
My answer.
Neither. I would rather not game at all tbqh.
>>
>>681385869
>garbage chinkshit
ROG is not chink, it is Taiwanese our democratic ally. Xi wins when you call the Taiwanese chinks.
>>
File: IMG_0784.jpg (1.93 MB, 4032x1763)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
>>681385869
Shit that doesn’t work or shit that doesn’t work.
Idk just get the switch 2 or something I dunno.
>>681387303
The steam deck as been bugging out on me even 1 year and 6 months after I bought the thing. If you can tolerate bugs and having to deal with shit be my guest. I’m personally out of the whole pc handheld stuff, and I’m considering just closing my steam account.
>>
>>681384317
None
>>
File: file.png (177 KB, 600x338)
177 KB
177 KB PNG
I got this and I like it a lot.
>>
>>681387801
why anon.
>>
File: IMG_0165.png (31 KB, 434x327)
31 KB
31 KB PNG
>>681390284
Steam deck, is practically just for reasons like that, >>681388054
Shader whatnot stuff, as well as the verified system being a mess and some of the games marked as playable not even opening due to launchers not working well with Linux, I had that issue with the division. I’d say performance is a bit of an issue in some titles even in indies like scarf.

With the ally, it is just games like fort/cod not working, I’m getting crashes in cod Warzone (some people have gotten banned for using the ally), and getting kicked from Fortnite due to the anti cheat. The screen is also a bit small and the battery life on both of them isn’t really great.

Honestly I do not want to deal with the jank anymore and not just try and ignore it. For the price even used it isn’t really worth the hassle imo. They aren’t really good handhelds, and they aren’t good pc/laptop replacements. I can’t see myself buying another one of these.

I’m definitely not gonna buy the deck 2 or ally 2. Or 3 or whatever. I can only tolerate so much jank.
>>
File: IMG_0792.jpg (22 KB, 618x455)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>681391172
Like when the handheld is bugging out on me even a year and 6 months after I bought it. Man. Depressing, I bought it and it crashed on me twice, the last time I even bother using it and it still glitches on me. It is hard to excuse this and sip on copium. Very hard.
>>
>>681388054
Also the steam forums are very gay, I don’t know how people even like it
>>
>>681382664
>>681382664
The Deck is on sale, which means Deck 2 is around the corner.
It will probably be announced after the Switch 2 to take a big fat shit on it kek.
>>
>>681382664
If you want better performance and 100% compatibility with every game ever, get the Ally. If you want to be a member of the pcbro hivemind on /v/ then get the deck.
>>
>>681382664
Piracy on the Steam Deck is broken. Every cracked 3D game will give you awful stutters because they need to compile shaders and you only get pre-cached ones for paid games. Meanwhile pirated games work just fine on the ally.
>>
>>681382664
Does the ROG have an OLED option?
No? Then the Deck wins by default.
>but I want to use it stationary
Get a PC, then.
>>
>>681391172
>some people got banned in warzone for using ally
Some cheaters made ally excuse for getting banned more like
>>
>>681382664
steam deck while its on sale
>>
>>681393135
Eh maybe, all I got was crashes in game. Never got banned, didn’t get banned from fort either I can use it on any other device, it just doesn’t like the ally for some reason, maybe due to armoury crate.
>>
>>681387303
>there was always someone who wrote "audio crackling"
It seems it was/is a design flaw:
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/SteamOS/issues/1235
>>
>>681391172
Thanks for your opinion and i am very much agree. I bought a new 256GB awhile ago. For me, its the hardware quality. Its not sold in my country so i had to resort buying it from importer and they really jack the price. I really love handheld and ive been playing on console for awhile now. At first it was good because i was only plan to play indie title and old games. But after a few hours, i notice a few faults such as the shoulder button is loose and has much travel compared to either R1/L1 button, the left trackpad haptic is weak compared to right. Since i didnt buy it from valve i had to resort in sending it back to seller. Had to send back it a couple of times because of the some random fault with the button.
>>
>>681392413
Can you explain the shader thing? Is it a steam thing?
>>
>>681382664
Steam deck.
1. Better community for when some shit doesn't work
2. Native 720p instead of 720p on 1080p screen
3. It is on sale right now on steam.
>>
I have both, I find myself using the ally more than the deck. Also, wait a few weeks and grab the ally X.
>>
>>681382664
>I also want to use it docked for some AAA titles like cyberpunk or starfield and the Steam deck can't run them
You sounds like an absolute retard so do whatever
>>
>>681398064
>you sounds
you sounds illiterate friendo
>>
File: LibCW0A.jpg (899 KB, 4080x3072)
899 KB
899 KB JPG
>'ick status: 'ocked
>>
>>681397314
He's lying, just like the majority of this thread. It's just a cache of shaders. Because everyone using a steam deck has the same hardware, you can download already compiled shaders and it automatically does so. For 99% of games this doesn't really make a difference, most shaders are compiled on the fly on PC, anyway, Steam Deck is no different. For ones on the edge of the Steam Decks capability it may help I guess, but I don't have a problem with no cache, and 64gb Deck users already don't have one and probably never noticed.
>>
>>681399085
Buy an ad
>>
>>681399456
Yes, I wish Asus would buy an ad instead of shills. Or better yet actually support their hardware, instead of pretending there was nothing wrong with their SD card slot, instead of shills.
>>
>>681387801
will you continue to post in these threads (and not game) after you've sold it?
>>
>>681382664
Steam Deck is cool as a tech obsessed valve obsessed nerd thing but its entirely useless already. Rog Ally is better in every way. For emulation its much more compatible and easier to set up with everything since its fucking windows, for modern day gaming its much better than the steam deck while keeping better tems and being more power efficient, and the hardware design is better really.

Just remember to unnistall all of Asus's default apps related to power modes and performance and install G-Helper from github. Its an open source solution to the Asus software that is just straight up better. It unlocks more of the power of the thing and the fans actually work better and can don't freak out when just watching youtube.

Keep in mind tho that these things are still somewhat novelties. They cannot at all replace even something like an Asus laptop. If you don't geniunenly care about being able to play stuff while on travel, don't buy it.
>>
File: IMG_0795.jpg (1.17 MB, 1910x1494)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
>>681399820
> will you continue to post in these threads (and not game) after you've sold it?
I play forza 3 on my xbone. I will continue to play the game and Fortnite/ cod over there. I’ll probs stop posting in these threads unless I really feel like complaining or something. Or if I disagree with a poster.

I’ll probably just stop playing pc games though, might close my steam account. The amount of hours I’ve played on steam games is just tiny. My most played games are just multiplat stuff that runs on everything.
>>
File: handheld benchmark.jpg (307 KB, 2408x1328)
307 KB
307 KB JPG
Get the Ally X. The processing chip in Steam Deck is way too outdated now. You can blast through the most heavy emulation and even high end modern games with the Ally X chip. Its 80wh battery and 120hz display is also a godsend. The performance gap is simply too large to ignore now.

>b-but track pads
Who the fuck plays RTS games on a handheld? I'd rather have good and compact true handheld instead.
>>
>>681399085
>Because everyone using a steam deck has the same hardware, you can download already compiled shaders
That only works for steam games. For non steam games it compiles on the fly and you get stutters.
>>
>>681400453
>>681401836
based
#playALLYXourgames
>>
>>681382664
The Deck is mainly to play Indies, and emulate old games, it can run some modern games but that's not the main appeal of the console
>>
>>681382664
Neither for AAA. And ASUS customer service is mixed, IDK about steam.
>>
>>681397596
Why the x
>>
>>681398441
>'ick status: 'opped
>>
>>681382664
>eck
Underpowered but cheap.
>rog ally?
Overpriced, chinkshit tier quality, no touchpad.
Buy legion go, or win 4 if chinkshit tier quality.
>>
>>681401196
>xbone
Low iq and shit taste.
>>
>>681401836
>Who the fuck plays RTS games on a handheld?
They are for shooters and navigating desktop.
Using joystick as mouse is misarable experience.
>>
>>681407183
> Low iq and shit taste.
I like forza 3
>>
>>681408090
And scarlet nexus is pretty nice.
>>
>>681397183
Must have been difficult
>>
>>681393172
Just by a tablet
>>
>>681382664
hmm ok so i just finished reading the thread and it sounds like the deck didn't do very well huh? maybe next time it won't be as 'shitted' and 'flopped' as you are all saying

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.