[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I’m wanting to play an rpg. But I don’t want to play one by Parian or bioware. But I want to play an rpg similar to bioware.
>>
>>681388170
Pillars 2 is easier to get into than 1, but the story is a direct continuation - if you care about that.
Can't say either are super challenging. I enjoyed Deadfire more myself, but both games are honestly solid. I can't recall if the first has an option like Deadfire where you can change from real time with pause to turn based, but I never had a problem with RTWP anyway.
>>
1 was considered better among the fans IIRC, 2 has simpler gameplay and nicer visuals, I think Deadfire has a nicer setting but the writing is worse across the board and the ship combat is ass.
>>
>>681388170
it's a fucking horrible boring game. trust me you're better off not bothering
>>
>>681389182
Really? What are some rpgs you think are good so I can see if your opinion on rpgs is similar to mine
>>
>>681388170
Starts with some real potential but it's boring both in terms of gameplay and plot. Some of the worldbuilding is genuinely good, and a few of the characters are great - but that's not enough to make it worthwhile wherever you are on the spectrum between biodrone slop fan to RPGcodex autist.
Obsidian should switch to VNs only.
>>
>>681388170
it's a book, not a videogame. I haven't played much crpgs expect fallout and wasteland series but it was fine there, they didn't bloat massive paragraphs of text at you
>>
>>681388170
As alternatives, I'd suggest any of the classics you haven't played yet: Arcanum, Fallout 1/2, BG1/2 (not the 'remasters'). Underrail for the gameplay/build autists, consider also AtomRPG and Colony Ship RPG.
Unfortunately no one seems able to hit that sweet spot of good story/characters AND fun gameplay that isn't overly punishing. Metagaming - or more specifically designing games with metagaming/minmaxxing in mind - ruined single player games.
>>
>>681388170
Yeah, it's great. Well-designed classes and mechanics, neat ideas while still retaining the classical archetypes, actually developed for a video game instead half-arsedly converting tabletop rules. Good amount of reactivity during dialog and ways to influence quests, great visuals.
I can agree to a certain extent that the world and main story can feel drab, but then again, people here bitch about BG3 being too reddit. PoE presenting itself as grounded and serious can be both one of its strengths and weaknesses.
No romance-bullshit, a plus at least in my book.
>>
I enjoy the boss fights, especially in Deadfire (DLCs, mega bosses)
>>
How does it compare to the goat?
>>
File: Durance-portrait.jpg (24 KB, 210x330)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>681388170
It has some great companions. I don't remember much about the main plot but the game sucked me in for hours. I haven't played the sequel though
>>
>>681393723
Telling Durance the truth about his whore-goddess was fantastic.
I just hate how in many rpg's, the best options are about being an amicable puppy towards a companion that never disagrees.
>>
>>681388170
it's like a 2/5
if you're desperate, it'll do
>>
>>681390905
>pic not remotely related
>>
>>681393723
Durance deserves a better game. No surprise they hated his author too
>>
>>681388170
it's very polarising, you will either love or hate it
i thought both games were good, though i liked the first a lot more
>>
>>681388170
It's alright. Second one made some obnoxious system changes, but is otherwise serviceable.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.