[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1686578839033.jpg (588 KB, 1440x3305)
588 KB
588 KB JPG
How do you enjoy a game if you get spoiled on its story/gameplay.
>>
How can gameplay get spoiled?
>>
>>681436629
You don't.
>>
>>681436629
We've had this discussion a lot of times already. Story-wise, it depends on the game. Some titles can be enjoyed even after knowing the plot or some twists because the story isn't the focus and/or they were predictable to begin with. Still, ideally every game should be played blind even if there's little to no story. Impactful gameplay moments, unique music changes, iconic boss battles and stuff like that are better experienced fresh than having prior knowledge.
Story-heavy titles like mystery adventure games (Ace Attorney) rely a lot on the surprise factor, even catching attentive players (or readers for VNs) off guard. Knowing certain revelations in advance can make you appreciate the foreshadowing more if the writing is good, but you'd be robbed of going through the game blind and not knowing what's happening. In some cases like 999 or Ever17, by already knowing you will never be able to appreciate the eerie and creepy atmosphere the mystery helps building up. Same goes for Danganronpa, where knowing who dies and survives completely removes the tension behind the FTE social mechanic. Even if I hate games that prevent the player from accessing content after a point of no return most of the time, I always loved the feeling of uncertainty when trying to build relationships with participants in the killing games. It puts the player in the position of the MC, one who would be afraid of seeing their friends die suddenly.
>>
>>681437964
The castle flips.
>>
>>681439096
>In some cases like 999 or Ever17, by already knowing you will never be able to appreciate the eerie and creepy atmosphere the mystery helps building up.
Actually, funny your brought those games up. I played 999 for the first time last year and despite knowing nearly everything it still managed to be unsettling and extremely engaging. I beat the game in a day because it was so gripping.
>>
For me it was Nier Automata.
My schizo ex would constantly try to get me to play it because she said it was one of the best stories she’s ever seen and the whole time I was playing it she was hyping me up for the final battle.
Most of the way through route C it became obvious that the final confrontation was going to be between 9S and A2 but this realization made that fucking tower climb and swap between the two characters as they both ascended a fucking phenomenal experience that I have yet to see replicated
>>
>>681442083
No wonder she left you
>>
>>681436629
Bump

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.