[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1695804674228.jpg (1.06 MB, 1920x2367)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
I'm giving up on finding a Zelda game to fill the type of void that playing all the 3D games and being disappointed by all of them (to varying degrees) has left me...so I wonder and ask...are there simply just no 3D action adventure games with a strong puzzle focus? Why does it always have to just be combat and "exploration" (and never even the good kind of exploration where you actually need to figure out how to navigate a 3D space and mentally map things, just basic "go through here" or "wander around until you find a way" exploration) Even fucking platforming and traversal is rare in action adventure, unless it's the modern tomb raider type "jump to obvious unnatural looking ledge or groove in wall" or fucking random unnatural looking scratches in the wall that tell you exactly what you can interact with and trivialize any sense of deciding where to go and makes platforming just feel like "simon says"

Please. C'mon. There has GOT to be something. There has to be something that just does action adventure with puzzles well? Or even platforming (although I would REALLY prefer if it was puzzles because I already love classic tomb raider) Or both.

It's also made me wonder if I've described what I like about zelda poorly. So I past something I posted in a recent thread here for reference...in the replies.
>>
File: 1712569772989.jpg (128 KB, 700x1200)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
I come to Zelda to see the unique ways it tries to integrate items into puzzle solving and exploration.

I fell in love with Majora (before I came to hate it) at the moment that it expected me to shoot a bow through a fire at an empty torch on a spinning platform. That's combining a multitude of intersecting factors, while also demanding some relative mechanical skill, all headed by the fact that you need to even realize that you can do that in the first place. I fell in love with Wind Waker at the moment in the Forbidden Woods where I realized how the puzzles had developed (can't remember specific details right now) and my favourite part of Skyward Sword was in the Sandship when I realized I needed to find a way to change time from present to past to shoot an arrow through a fan that was spinning in the present but is now stopped in the past, to unlock the room next door, and then switch to the present to open that door finally and this was all centered around the bow.

Now, I don't know if the essence of the thing im looking for REQUIRES multiple items. I imagine a game really strongly centered around a bow, could get a bunch of unique item use out of it. But I just don't know.

If there TRULY is no hope in the Zelda specific thing I'm looking for, then just discard all this and simply help me find a good action adventure game with a focus on puzzle solving. I'm asking. Hoping that I can work this out by putting more minds together than mine. And find a game.
>>
nobody cares kys
>>
I guess we attempt again. Since nobody talks about videogames here.
>>
Kys
>>
>>681477352
for what? why can't you just actually talk about videogames and contribute anything. if not then just got and fuck off to your shitposting thread.
>>
>>681477790
Kys
>>
Tunic i guess
>>
Pandoras Tower is a "dungeon rush" and plays like Zelda. Hookshot-like thingy and all. You just got fromm one dungeon to the next with no real outworld. The dungeons are laidout like a zelda dungeon and the late game ones feature dungeons that are built like puzzles. Great waifu and great bosses. MC is a scared virgin though, i guess not unlike zelda

/thread
>>
>>681477887
Already played tunic. I feel like item progression was incredibly slow. It took literal hours till I actually got a new item, like 5 or 6 I think. And items use isn't even that creative if memory serves right. Game also doesn't really have dungeons that take advantage of a focused use of items. Also the combat has a HEAVY emphasis on combat. Feels closer to a shitty wannabe souls like than Zelda. I really don't understand why people liken it to zelda but I admittedly didn't play far enough into the game once I realized it never felt like I was really doing anything new and had to stomach the boring combat over and over again with nothing else to offer. The game actually takes a VERY long time till there are actually any "puzzles".
>>
stfu
>>
Supraland is nice
>>
extremely loosely related to what you're after, I really enjoyed Animal Well and Death Stranding
>>
>>681479823
I've already played death stranding indeed and i can definitely see and understand how it applies for someone but...how does animal well apply? My vague understanding of it, is that it's basically a collectathon in a metroidvania. And metroidvanias don't typically use "new abilities or items" as anything but keys. They're rarely puzzle solving tools and if they are. It's very "momentary" or "short" nothing like a dungeon or something. Which could be circumvented if you just made the entire areas of the map an overarching puzzle in itself but...idk I just don't know anything about it beyond that.
>>
>>681480061
I put Animal Well because it shifts the focus towards platforming and puzzles rather than combat
>>
https://youtu.be/UfuAd0fjZvo?si=nVVtTuRqmwJOuEeX
>watch review
>literal Majora's Mask level of tedium and time wasting bullshit
>reviewer even admits, that the tedious side content bullshit is actually the meat of the game just like majora

yeah...I think I'm good on that...unlucky.
>>
another thread Re-Attempt is due later.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.