[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: HGOS-24_06_24-compressed.jpg (3.59 MB, 3960x9000)
3.59 MB
3.59 MB JPG
Discuss and recommend worthwhile lesser known games on Steam and similar platforms
>>
desync looks interesting, thanks op!
>>
File: file.png (204 KB, 460x215)
204 KB
204 KB PNG
Planetiles is my contribution

Short and not very challenging, but challenging enough that it will frustrate you a bit and get you thinking

A Tetris type with city builder elements where you create a planet by completing randomly generated missions. Good depth to it and addicting.
>>
File: UXlMtl-2622963822.png (291 KB, 1026x764)
291 KB
291 KB PNG
https://thecatamites.itch.io/anthology-of-the-killer
>>
>>681494481
Seconding this
>>
>>681492860
Bump for interest.
>>
Crumble - fun, janky fast paced platformer
Occult Rewrite - campy, horny horror VN made by a /v/irgin
Rings of Saturn - autistic 2D space mining game
Peaks of Yore - fairly unique climbing game
Curse crackers - simple but well made 2d platformer, kind of reminds me of old gameboy games
>>
File: vacant kingdom.jpg (128 KB, 616x353)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
If you like isometric SHMUPs with character customization, I have found that almost no one has played Vacant Kingdom ($5 on steam). It's actually incredibly good.

Last Command, Tevi, Rabi-Ribi, Momodora 4 and 5. Also stellar games. Rabbit and Steel is also fun
>>
File: 07 (2).jpg (1.76 MB, 3840x2100)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
Some of these are EA, but all already pretty much good for the money.
>Capitain of Industry (EA)
One of the best and most underrated factorio-inspired gamed, crossed with just a little with a settlement builder.
>INFRA
It's an urban exploration game, and by that I mean it's essentially a walking sim. But it's really damn good - it revolves around exploring realistic industrial environments and it's absolutely choke-full of secrets, easter-eggs, it has amazing atmosphere and decent enough story. It's not for everyone, but if you want some virtual tourism, it's very much fantastic.
>Cultic
Probably the best successor of the Build-engine-style FPS. Short, but cheap and just amazingly well crafted.
>Ostriv (EA)
The best successor to Banished up to date. It's a one-man made city-builder with extreme emphasis on historical accuracy and detail, and with arguably the best way to manage grid-less plotting. Manor Lords owes a LOT to Ostriv, but Ostriv currently has a lot more depth. Does lack end game though.
>Miasmata
Ancient and really janky, but super interesting exploration / cartography / survival horror game. It's a very unique experience, there really hasn't been a game with similar mechanics ever made. It's a "real" walking sim, and by that I mean the game makes the process of hiking an actual mechanical challenge. Plus it has some really great A.I. that was frankly only topped by Alien Isolation a decade later.
>Pathologic 2
It's just the best game ever made. Explaining why would take a lot of time. Just trust me. It's amazing.
>>
File: rpgmaker.png (1.72 MB, 1350x2423)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB PNG
awesome pic OP. some cool puzzle game hidden gems i played recently: fish fillets 2, jubilane, case of the golden idol

i also have a website where i host links to many freeware games, mostly hidden gems: https://landsofgames.com/old/topic/freeware/main.html

willful and automaton lung by luke vincent are good too
>>
>>681502556
Pathologic 2 is better than 1?
>>
File: high_stakes.png (21 KB, 517x519)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
>>681503203
oh yeah, picrel is also a nice card game
https://krystman.itch.io/high-stakes
>>
Not so "hidden" anymore, but I would be remiss to not mention Northern Journey.
>>
File: pathologic-2-review-7.jpg (164 KB, 1827x1029)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
>>681503249
>Pathologic 2 is better than 1?
Kinda. It's very complicated, but P2 is certainly a lot more "playable" and mechanically developed. It has a lot more depth and just more shit to do, there is much less downtime and aimless wondering.
It's still an IPL game, so it's not exactly "fun", but it's much more about making you feel overwhelmed and stressed, than about being tedious and slow. It feels a hell of a lot harder and the goal is still to make you feel miserable, but in a much more engaging way: you just have a lot more to do, and you do have convenience features like sprint, a limited quick travel mechanics, a very good U.I. with great inventory tetris and probably the best Journal system ever made (seriously, the Journal in Pathologic 2 is AMAZING and I'm baffled that no game copied it yet) and the combat and stealth are less insane. They are still not good, but it's less absurd than in the first game.

It is also much smaller though, featuring only one of the total three campaigns that were in P1 (though it's much more content dense than any of the ones in the first game). And some argue the story and atmosphere isn't as good. Personally, I don't agree, I think P2 is on par if not better than P1 in terms of story, writing and atmosphere but it certainly is different and I can see how some prefer the old one.

If you felt like P1 had potential but was just too slow, tedious and plodding, but you still felt like the world is worth exploring, I'd say give the second game a chance.
>>
>>681492860
thanks op, great list

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.