[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1701646348981091.jpg (339 KB, 2048x1152)
339 KB
339 KB JPG
I would consider myself well above average for my ability to both the math sense behind stat raising in games and the actual tactics of making a good stat spread. I feel like I am bad at empathizing with people that are not. When I think about game design I find myself asking 'well what would be easier to grasp' and coming up dry.

In particular. One way you can do attack and defense is damage=atk-def and good math sense will tell you things like how def is more effective at reducing smaller hits than big hits and attack will give better damage yields on many small hits vs 1 big one. Another way you can do this is not with adding/subtracting but multiplication and division. You get +x%, +y%, and +z% "increased damage damage" these all apply and then whatever damage you ended up with is reduced by x% based on their armor or resist. Good math sense will tell you things will behave a certain way here too like how going from 50% damage reduction to 75% damage reduction is not making you live a quarter longer, it's making you live twice as long.

When people who are not as accustomed at me look at a stat screen where does their thinking lean and what is easier for them to grasp and began treating these as a strategy, or a build-enabling toy, rather than a mystical log of numbers?
>>
>>681525028
OP i'm not reading all that shit but in a game like pathfinder you should either focus on AC or attacking. if you have a tank with high AC facing an opponent you can have a martial with a strong attack and a reach weapon attack the enemy from behind the tank.
>>
they follow youtube guides
>>
>>681525325
you don't need to follow youtube guides, you just need to read the descriptions
>>
>>681525793
Ain't reading 5000 skills
>>
>>681525028
>I would consider myself well above average for my ability to both the math sense behind stat raising in games and the actual tactics of making a good stat spread.
You aren't, otherwises you wouldn't bring up Pathfinder.
Also, attack and defense aren't just about the raw "damage vs defense" calculations, it's about tool design, it's about many different layers of mechanics that form a bigger whole that is related to the entire battle pacing, you can have the most intuitive, elegant and complex way to handle the underlying math of your defense mechanics but have complete garbage battle design that makes it completely pointless.
Something as simple as how your game handles healing as a function is way more important that just your defense calculations.
>When people who are not as accustomed at me look at a stat screen where does their thinking lean
To the manual, if they're intelligent enough.
Stats aren't monolyths, STR in Pathfinder and STR in D:OS and STR in Wizardry are not the same stat, stats by themselves mean nothing and it's impossible to fully grasp their intricacies just by looking as a character sheet, the mystical log of numbers you talk about is part and parcel of the genre and will never go away because despite the obnoxious amount of cargo cult syndrome, there's no unifying design philosophy you can apply to every single game out there, even something as HP isn't and shouldn't necessarily going to work the same for each and every game.
>>
>>681525028
Percents are probably the simplest, but also by far the most boring. Flat reduction is my personal favorite because it can be fun to abuse (def>enemy attack=god mode), and also because it makes the differences between slow and fast weapons much more dynamic. Your pic related of course is neither of those and is instead chance to hit. Arguably it's the worst of all worlds.
>>
>>681525793
>read the descriptions
real rpgs do require you to read alot but when it comes to builds people share with others on what type of build they found and liked. whether its cause it has high damage or its just a cool/funny build.

trying to prevent such things goes against the core of what a RPG is because you are preventing creativity and making the CC less fun too
>>
>>681525028
It's a massive waste of time to do the math, unless you're looking shit up online which is cheating - equivalent to following a guide.
The damage calculations are hidden, multivariable, unintuitive and involve randomness. You don't math out which stats to take. You just try whatever you think is best, and if it doesn't work, you try something else.
>>
>>681525306
>OP i'm not reading all that shit
You can read Owlslop bibles but not that small post?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.