[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1718893873848789.jpg (27 KB, 500x508)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
My first kid is four weeks old today, and I've been thinking about computer games I played as a small child, Reader Rabbit is a name that stands out, and Carmen San Diego. I don't know much about what kids are into now, and I don't even know why I'm not waiting three or four years to post this thread when it'll actually be relevant, since all he does right now is sleep, eat, and shit, but yeah, what are the little kids into now? What good, educational games exist today?
>>
old games are fine
as long as you don't put him in front of an iPad for those first 5 years you'll be good
>>
>>681528848
That's a bit down the road. Maybe in six months, just put on some Ms. Rachel
>>
Tonka Construction turned me into the man I am today.
>>
Also, fun story
>Be 6
>Dad gets me a snes and Street Fighter 2 or whatever one was on the SNES in 1996
>Dad whoops my ass every day (at the game) because I suck
>Get salty and cry every time
>Finally start to git gud and learn combos and stuff
>Almost beat my dad, he barely pulls out the win
>Never plays with me ever again and refuses to this day to give up his belt as reigning champ
I hate him so much
>>
>>681528848
Black Souls (not Dark Souls). Don't be fooled by the name, it's an educational game. The bad thing is that it's not on Steam
>>
>>681528848
Can't go wrong with Snes games or the usual N64 Nintendo games. Regardless, you should personally vet everything beforehand. Keep them away from phones and iPads, and especially the Internet unless you heavily moderate/supervise their use of it.
>>
>>681529302
Yeah, I took became a heavy equipment operator because of those trucks, although I just played with the actual toys
>>
>>681529510
Yeah, I know what that game is, pal, I'm not the one who was born four weeks ago. You gonna recommend boku no pico next?
>>
If they cant even walk or talk yet, peek a boo may be more their aptitude. Dont be in a rush to introduce them to vidya, card gsmes and board games are similar in mental construct but give the kid a chance to show you how they play with other people. Teaching them to have fun while still being cool is important, lest you raise a spaz.
>>
>>681529494
I have my dates mixed up, I meant 1998, I was 6 in 1998
>>
>>681529821
Yes I know I'm jumping the gun and who knows what the world will be like in five years anyways, I'm just trying to gauge the current climate.
>>
File: ezgif-3-9787063f80.jpg (269 KB, 1003x900)
269 KB
269 KB JPG
I have no idea what kind of decent edutainment there is these days. When I was a kid, these Jumpstart games were what I'd play along with Freddie Fish and Math Blaster. Math Blaster was too hard for me to figure out how to play properly, but I played the shit out of Freddie Fish and other random freeware games my uncle had for his Windows 95.

I don't think I was cognizant enough to play games until I was around 4-5 years old, though.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.