[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

The time has come to choose, gamedev man.
>>
I think I will simply write a "game design" document and get enjoyment out of working on that until I die. You cretins arent worth my masterpiece.
>>
>>683670861
I choose godot
>>
>>683670861
>*stutters into your path*
>>
>>683671241
same.
Im too greedy and too scared of getting buttfucked by some fineprint or a new clause applied retroactively, and I think Im finally getting the hang of Godot so Im happy here.
>>
>>683671106
made me chuckle
>>
unreal does what unidon't.
>>
>>683670861
I'm using godot, honestly don't see the point of unity anymore, unreal is cool tho
>>
File: 1693391234922989.jpg (321 KB, 1400x1050)
321 KB
321 KB JPG
>>683671241
Based
>>
>>683671241
This.
>>
>>683670861
I'm not one to pick sides but
>using Unity after that whole controversy
>>
>>683671106
This plus using Stable Diffusion to proompt my dream gameworld
>>
>unreal
>made my a successful and stable game company who keeps the engine robust and improving because they actually use it for their games and have a vested interest in its quality
>unity
>made by a sinking ship of s company that's imploding and spends more time adding endless half-baked features rather than fixing core issues with the engine or updating the myriad of years-deprecated systems
>>
>unreal
>wuwa
>unity
>genshin and ZZZ
yup yup easy choice easy choice
>>
>>683671959
I think there are more games than those 3
>>
>>683671857
unitytards have no self respect
>Unity does that thing
>"IM NEVER USING UNITY AGAIN, EVEN IF THEY CHANGE IT BACK, THIS IS A DANGEROUS PRECEDENT!"
>Move to godot, unreal, who knows what else
>they all make youtube videos on "10000 reasons why the engine I moved to is actually better than unity"
>they use the new engine and all universally act flabbergasted that they arent all carbon copies of Unity
>bitch and moan about how Godot and Unreal arent Unity and are completely doomed to fail
>Unity says sowwy
>they all go back to Unity
embarassing
>>
>>683672179
anyone who uses a game engine without the source code available is already a retard
>>
>>683672101
i'm gonna need a fact check on that one
>>
>>683672245
Even Unreal lets you see the source code. I don't get why Unity insists on being s black box in 2024
>>
File: Spoiler Image (19 KB, 220x281)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>683672334
you forget the most important one
>>
>>683670861
I have enough reasons to hate Unity, can someone fill me in on why Unreal sucks as well?
>>
>>683672601
I've been learning it for the past month.
It's really great!
But you need to learn C++.
For a lot of people that's probably going to be a deal breaker.
>>
>>683672601
Unreal doesnt suck in any unique way that makes it not worth using, it just enables bad behavior, but so too does Unity, there are more exceptions than those that follow the general rule but both Unity and Unreal offer enough tools and free shit that many devs use that create the idea of "Yeah this plays like a Unity/unreal game"
>>
>>683670861
>the unity side is the blurry one
clueless creator
>>
>>683672347
it's because they sell it. if it was free they couldn't do that
>>
>>683670861
I have written my own engine, sorry.
>>
>>683675439
weak. I make my game from scratch in assembly and I code by writing on a piece of paper and compiling everything with my brain.
>>
>>683675571
>assembly
ngmi, you should be physically building a device the only possible purpose of which being to execute the code of your game.
I bet you don't even dope your own silicon
but really though I have built 95% of the engine I need using opengl and it rocks
>>
>>683671241
same.
>>
I will never use unity after that shitshow.
But how do I stop unreal from stuttering?
>>
>>683670861
ue5. not even a challenge. it is like 20 years ahead of the competition
>>
>>683672179
unity is far and away unarguably the best choice for ease of use/actually releasing a finished game/available docs & tutorials and with tools capable of making anything you can think of.
at the end of the day you are far more likely to actually finish your game and release it using unity.
this is the harsh truth, no matter your opinion on the politics or whatever, you can have gay morals and wank yourself off and use godot, maybe you'll even become one of their success stories with 100 reviews on steam or whatever.
meanwhile there's thousands of random ww2 submarine simulators and whatever else being released daily on unity.
>>
>>683672601
If you aren't a total UE master everyone will suffer from bad practice shit.
>>
>>683670861
>The time has come to choose, gamedev man.
Depends on what type of game I'm trying to make. Unity is unoptimized dog shit, but it's ok for simple games and seems better at multiplat porting than unreal (better in that it is easier to port shit, not that the engine is better). Unreal if I want to do complex shit and care about graphics. I'd use source 2, but that 25k cost out of the gates is too much to handle.
>>
>>683670861
I open Macromedia Flash 8 and script with Actionscript 2.0 like an idiot.
>>
>>683670861
If you're making something simple you're better off making your own engine instead of using bloatware.
>>
>>683670861
Godot for 3D
Gdev 5 for 2D.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.