[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1629372345773.png (673 KB, 1200x420)
673 KB
673 KB PNG
The Spyro games are so much better than Midrio 64 it's not even funny:

>elegant movement and combat system of only three moves that you fluidly chain together instead of having dozens of Mario's pointless jumps and skips that only autists will ever try to find a use for since the game is so easy you never need to touch them
>combat that feels satisfying and fast paced instead of the janky Mario system of punches, kicks, and ground pounds against tiny hitboxes which feel tacked on instead of integrated in the actual movement and platforming
>movement that lets you cover the whole level without ever having to stop to position yourself to wrestle with the camera or line up jumps for tiny ledges or poles
>powerups that directly enhance the three main moves for new options instead of stupid situational shit like Metal Mario or the Wing Cap which are useless outside their one intended purpose
>game doesn't boot you out of the level once you collect one dragon/orb/egg
>actual level layout variety instead of just "climb the big mountain" over and over again
>clear level and game goals instead of cryptic bullshit like "wall kicks will work"
>no level-wide gimmicks which are just annoying instead of interesting, even the water levels feel nice and fast to play in Spyro unlike Mario's water slogs
>ramp up to have actual platforming challenges instead of optional stars that are only difficult because the camera is ass
>gems feel 100x nicer to find and pick up than any Mario collectable
>actual boss fights which are cool instead of just gay Bowser over and over again
>overall the games don't require you to be an 8 year old with unlimited time just to be tolerable like Mario 64 does

Don't let me get started on the visuals and music which still are far beyond anything Nintendo has ever done, if these games were published by Nintendo as their new original gen 5 IP they would've received 20 times the praise SM64 did in these 30 years.
>>
and you would be entirely wrong because m64 is just more fun
/thread
>>
>>683689971
fpwp
>>
>>683689971
>b-b-but muh nostalgia! just ignore the anti-fun 70% of the game!!
Every time
>>
>>683689865
genuinely curious why you'd make this thread, people who like mario 64 aren't going to suddenly turn around like you've given them a new perspective on life
>>
>>683690035
To point out how cultist fervor can give legendary status to mediocre games
>>
>>683689865
I liked Mario 64 but your post has given me a new perspective on life. I'm a Spyro stan now, thank you for showing me the light
>>
>>683689865
Mario rules, Spyro drools.
I curse the company your game is on to become lame and gay 3 generations from now.
>>
>>683691267
rift apart was pretty good thoughever
>>
>>683689865
I'm not reading all that.
>>683689971
fpbp
>>
>>683689865
Nobody asked, but you are correct.
>>
>>683690531
>it's le muh cult!!!!!
kys snoy you lost hard
>>
File: Jak and Dabster.png (142 KB, 504x361)
142 KB
142 KB PNG
>>683689971
Your argument is invalidated by these two, Mariofag.
>>
>>683692017
delusional snoy
>>
>>683691903
I asked
>>
>>683689865
damn look how much more there is going on in m64
>>
>>683692951
because that's just the hub area.
spyro levels have much more going on than your average mario 64 level. and I say that as a fan of both games
>>
File: 1661280879156.webm (2.15 MB, 616x452)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB WEBM
>>683689865
The movement in Mario 64 is so far beyond anything Spyro can accomplish that it's laughable to even compare them.
You'd have better luck trying to pick a fight with Banjo Kazooie.
>>
Spyro is only remembered for one reason. There should've been more cartoon physics related deaths.
>>
>>683693941
And zero places or reasons to utilize it
>>
File: 24524542.png (275 KB, 468x554)
275 KB
275 KB PNG
>>683693941
the only platformer with good physics on the ps1 is ape escape which came out after Mario 64 normalized the analog stick, something the ps1 forgot to do, which is why most games control so stiff

Banjo has more movement physics than we give it credit for, it doesn't have the physics of Mario 64, but imagine playing Banjo Kazooie with D-pad controls, it would suck because the worlds were crafted with the analog stick in mind, unlike Crash, Spyro, and Crock.
>>
>>683693941
>b-but think about what speedtrannies can do
no thank you
>>
>>683694738
Your image implies nintendo was seething about PS in private and scheming to undermine it. You probably don't know that context of the meme because you were too stupid to actually understand and watch Mad Men.
>>
I like how /v/ is a place where you can just come and deny reality in front of an audience. It truly is magical
>>
About the art:
Mario 64 is made with programmer art for much of the game.
Compare the castle HUB, for example (a part with some artistic care), with some of the levels, and the difference is clear.
The second level, the tower, uses a brown brick wall texture for the floor. Normally people avoid using textures associated with walls for the floor or ceiling, it's a bit bizarre, but in the case of Mario 64 nobody cared, because a lot of the art was in the hands of programmers and level designers without an artist actually looking at it and saying: "hey, you fag, you can't do this".
>>
>>683690035
I get what youre saying but then why make any thread really. no one's gonna change what they like
>>
>>683689865
Don't forget, Mario 64 was supposed to have 32 courses before they shortened it to 15. Not only did Spyro have more levels, they shat out 2 sequels on the same console which also had more than 15. It took Nintendo 6 years to release Mario Sunshine, which had 8 courses. EIGHT!!! These games win bigly on content alone.
>>
>>683689865
tl;dr
>>
>>683695249
Your audience wasn't invited
>>
>>683693941
I respect the freedom of movement Mario 64 showed off, but let's be completely real: movement options do not make a 3D platformer good.
You need the movement to fit the level design, and vice-versa. Obstacle courses worked for Mario. Spryo was more design for wide open traversal with the gliding. Comparing them is pointless when they're aiming for two completely different things.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.