[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: large.jpg (284 KB, 1280x896)
284 KB
284 KB JPG
Ever realize that when you were a kid, you could load up a game and spend hours exploring, noticing random tiny things about the environment, and making your own fun in the margins of the game... and that you can't do that anymore?

I used to love exploring the city in Jak 2, and I replayed the twilight town segment of Kingdom Hearts 3 repeatedly. But as an adult, it's just "follow the quest/mission chain until you 100% the game and move on."
>>
>>683712583
KH2*, obviously. Twilight Town in KH3 is a travesty.
>>
>>683712583
Maybe it's because we got used to "following the rules" of the game. Not saying that's a bad thing, obviously in order to beat the game you have to follow a sequence. Maybe also because games themselves aren't novel to us anymore, I don't know. Something I still do is appreciating the environment of games, atmosphere and whatnot, like when someone admires a painting or similar
>>
>>683712583
I guess it's just that sense of childlike wonder that we've lost. You've played enough games to know that there's nothing behind that painted on door texture.
>>
File: IMG_8571.jpg (44 KB, 420x420)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>683712583
I think when you have a more developed concept of time as an adult you don’t feel you can just stop and smell the roses. As a kid, I used to spend hours not progressing in Crash Twinsanity, literally just exploring the island trying to find all the gems and trying impossible things like scaling the waterfall peak that cannot be scaled.
>>
File: 1556148725367.jpg (66 KB, 398x604)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>683712583
Don't metagaym and you still have that. People are waaaay to quick to google ''how to get x item'' or follow shitty YTguides. I play everything blind and I still like to explore pointless shit if the game is good enough. Even trying to glitch the game in some way is still fun, try to get out of bounds etc.

If I'd upload gameplay people who probably call me a shitter even though I tend to aim for the highest difficulty just because I don't play the meta or go sanic fast. I'll only read a guide or a wiki after I feel like I'm done to see what I possibly missed. It just feels good finding shit on your own, secrets or 100% complete something in a game without external help. Stuff like finding the animals in MGSV, learning where to get stuff in Zelda, figuring out builds in the OG Guild Wars that other people picked-up on and ending up on the metasite, ...

I have lost my virginity but I haven't lost that type of innocence yet, I guess.
>>
>>683712583
>>683714697
>>683714057
>>683715182
>>683716761
you found out about invisible walls. this didn't need a thread.
>>
File: IMG_8559.png (204 KB, 640x480)
204 KB
204 KB PNG
>>683716962
Your reading comprehension is on par with someone with cerebral palsy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.