[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Can you recommend me some old games with graphics like this? What does it call again? Isometric? Pre-rendered graphics?
>>
Wood needed
>>
>>683714459
Isometric is just the camera perspective
>>
File: icewind.jpg (560 KB, 1920x1080)
560 KB
560 KB JPG
>>683714459
i like both baldur's gate 1 and 2, don't understand hate for first game, it's comfy. but you can't play an evil character, everything brakes. icewind dale looks even nicer. arcanum and fallout have a particular style, but imo they don't look as good
pillars of eternity 1 and 2 also have beautiful graphics, sad all those other crpg revival games used 3d graphics.
>>
File: C3.png (303 KB, 800x500)
303 KB
303 KB PNG
>>683714459
The Sierra City building games (Caesar 3, Pharaoh, Zeus, Emperor)
>>
Play Sanitarium
>>
>>683714459
Cossacks
American Conquest
This style was done by turning 3D models into sprites, so I'm not even sure how to describe this.
>>
>>683714459
Pre-renderd isometric. The best style.
>>
>>683714459
>>683717568
>This style was done by turning 3D models into sprites, so I'm not even sure how to describe this.
>What does it call again?
Isometric perspective with sprite-based graphics is the correct terminology. Isometry is a form of faux perspective that gives you this angled point of view, and sprite-based graphics mean that all objects on the map are actually 2D raster objects called "sprites", often animated to give illusion of depth.
Sprites can generally be pre-rendered because being 2D, they are not very resource intensive and can be saved as sheets of flat images, there is no reason why the computer would need to actually calculate their appearance on the fly like it would with 3D objects or vector graphics.

It is indeed common that sprites are created by creating 3D object first, which you simply capture from the needed angles, and use those captured images as your sprites. It's like if you made a physical statue and then took photo's of it (sometimes, physical models would actually be used instead of 3D models, like in the good old doom).
The advantage of this process is that creating, manipulating and positioning the 3D model can be done externally, at any speed you need, you then just export the flat images of it (and chain them into an animation if you need) avoidng the necessity of the game itself doing the calculation-heavy process of constantly rendering the whole 3D object.

Nowdays, sprite-based graphics are far less popular because their main advantage - saving a bunch of processing power - is no longer needed, even fucking phones today have enough processing power to render countless 3D objects in real time, so the style fell out of fashion in favor of real 3D, but I personally really loved old 2D sprite graphics across many genres.
In RTS in particular, I think shifting to full 3D (outside of Homeworld) was the worst thing to ever happen to the genre.
>>
>>683719250
Thank you ChatGPT-chan
>>
>>683714459
Baldurs Gate 2 and Icewind Dale are incredible
>>
File: 1678731407850063.gif (114 KB, 170x170)
114 KB
114 KB GIF
>>683714459
Ultima7 and warriors of the eternal sun
>>
>>683720276
You have a severe mental problem, kid. You need to stop.
>>
>>683714459
>What does it call again? Isometric? Pre-rendered graphics?
ZOOOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOMZ ZOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOM
>>
>>683717568
Why is it that turning 3d renders into pictures still can't be matched by modern 3d tech?
>>
>>683721613
Anti-aliasing and prebaked lighting, I assume.
>>
>>683721131
Now try that again, but without shitting your pants
>>
>>683722559
Sorry I can't. Something about that speed makes my ass empty up
>>
>>683714459
brigador if you're looking for something that isn't a terrible crpg
>>
Iso = same
Metric = measurement

Isometric just means your view angle is tilted to give you two equal "faces" of whatever you're looking at, instead of, say, top-down or head-on. The artwork doesn't have to be pixel-based, but many isometric games were made back when that was the best graphics available.
>>
>>683714459
Age of empires 2
American conquest fightback
>>
>>683714459
I love this art style in video games. It still looks good even to this day.
>>
IT'S NOT ISOMETRIC RETARDS

IT'S CAVALIER OBLIQUE

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.