[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: MassEffect2_cover.png (201 KB, 256x370)
201 KB
201 KB PNG
What do you think about the narrative decision to have Shepard die at the very start, and then be fully resurrected in the service of Cerberus, which he doesn't seem to question? Especially considering what we know about Cerberus and the conflict we had with them in the first game?
>>
>>683720201
>which he doesn't seem to question
What he didn't question was why didn't the pistol have a thermal clip and what's a thermal clip.
>>
>>683720201
I think that Shepard was only focusing on the Reapers, the Illusive man told him that he didn't have to do anything in return for reviving him just that they wanted him to continue his reaper investigation.
Maybe he thought he would use them until they no longer gave him any benefits and since they had info, and resources just went along with it.
Sorry ESL here
>>
>>683720630

That was another retarded thing
>>
File: 20240505154228_1.jpg (301 KB, 1920x1080)
301 KB
301 KB JPG
I liked the spectacle of the destroyed Normandy but they went to far.

You can tell they were enamored with the idea of Shepard falling to a planet like a meteorite when it would have been fine if he had just gotten spaced and then Cerberus (suspiciously) shows up shortly after to revive him. You can still say he technically died.
>>
>>683720201
He did question though at least from what I remember. When he see IM for the first time you can ask all kinds of shit as well as to Miranda.
>>
>>683720201
It didn't matter much.
I get that it's a way to get Shepard indebted with Cerberus so he'll work with them... by doing the exact same shit he'd be doing working for the council. The whole working-with-Cerberus thing is a complete waste of time. It doesn't really matter, the council could have given Shepard the order to go investigate the disappearing humans, or he could have gone rogue and done it himself.
Likewise, his death is brought up very infrequently, and it's not like he has any new abilities or limitations. Now, they could have made something neat by revealing that the original Shepard survived somehow, or that his new body was failing somehow, or that it was capable of being upgraded somehow - something that made it feel like a new body. It's a wasted opportunity and they probably decided to do it before they had more than 10% of the story ready.
>>
>>683720201
I've always said that ME 1 and 2 feel like they happened in the wrong order, and it makes 2 come across as a filler arc.
Like the more natural arc would be cutting out Shepard joining Cerberus entirely and having Shepard go after the collectors in the first game, which leads up to Saren and the big battle with Sovereign in 2, which sets up the beginning of 3 by revealing the existence of reapers to the galaxy.
>>
File: Mass Effect 2 Afterlife.webm (2.78 MB, 1920x1080)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB WEBM
I feel like replaying
It's been 6 years
Legendary edition do anything different to ME2/3?
>>
>>683722175
No buttshots of Miranda in 2 (in reality there are some tho), 3 has no multiplayer, I guess that's it
>>
It seemed like a marketing tactic to drum up interest in the game .
>>
>>683721396
Yeah, the whole idea of shepards corpse surviving burning up in the atmosphere and being disintegrated on impact took it from sci-fi to anime lala land.
>>
>>683722957
That's what it was. Something they could tease pre-release. In reality it happens right at the beginning, is resolved instantly and has no bearing on the rest of the game.
>>
>>683721969
No way. ME1 is sufficient enough to be a standalone game without a trilogy. That's what makes it so good.

ME2 onward could have just been more space cop adventuring while also researching additional reaper related threats. The collectors themselves are a good enough risk to pursue like Saren, so they did that part right I suppose. The broader issue is that 2 is just such a departure from the overall design of 1. Being a Spectre was very appealing because you had freedom to handle the troubles of the galaxy at your own leisure.

Witcher sort of has a similar feel from what little I played of 3.
>>
>>683720630
Shepard was a Specter and Alliance Military. He would have likely been aware that the thermal clip tech was in production or being considered before he got spaced.
>>
Why were there thermal clips on Jacob's dad's planet when it was supposed to be new technology and Jacob's dad crashed over ten years ago?
>>
>>683722175
Kino location
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFGPXtXADFs
>>
>>683725654
because it's a video game and you need to be able to reload your guns
>>
>>683720201
>and then be fully resurrected in the service of Cerberus, which he doesn't seem to question?
he does question it and it comes down to "tough shit faggot, we own you and we don't have to tell you anything, go do suicide mission"
>Especially considering what we know about Cerberus and the conflict we had with them in the first game?
that they really really like humans such as yourself? What's the problem?
>>
>>683726224
>that they really really like humans such as yourself? What's the problem?
Ah yes, the human alliance admiral they liked so much that they abducted and killed him. Let's not forget the human alliance soldiers they tortured in thresher maw experiments. And those human settlements they used as experiments with husks and thorian creepers. Great guys!
>>
I decided to replay the whole thing. Most mods included. I basically ignored only these two:
https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffectlegendaryedition/mods/1597
https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffectlegendaryedition/mods/15
>>
>>683720201
Don't really care for it either way.
Also, when it comes to all these sci fi games, I would think that life extension and human augmentation tech should play a bigger role.
>>
>>683726684
ME has gene therapy. That's about it. And humans do longer.
>>
>>683720897
This he mentions multiple times he doesn't trust them to Miranda and jack, just the best option
>>
>>683722175
Better off playing originals with bug fix mods.
>>
>LE has an achievement that requires banging someone in every game with the same character
I believe I shan't be getting it. A pic would be superfluous.
>>
>>683727179
Original ME3 isn't really getting mod updates anymore...
>>
>the narrative decision to have Shepard die at the very start
Dumb
>then be fully resurrected in the service of Cerberus
Extremely dumb.
>he doesn't seem to question
Shepard's just the kinda guy that doesn't get sidetracked by an existential crisis.

I think the setup for 2 was because they couldn't figure out how to follow-up the story of 1.
So, they set it up as a side story mostly disconnected from it. They were probably hoping that it'd buy them enough time to figure out how to tie things back together in the next game, but seems they couldn't.
>>
>>683727835
>but seems they couldn't
ME3 screams "didn't want to" and "fuck it", I think.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.