[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: botw.png (2.68 MB, 1600x1800)
2.68 MB
2.68 MB PNG
I finally did it bros. I’m finally free. 136 goddamn shrines.

It will take a whole lot to get me to play another open-world Zelda game in the future. I think I’ve had my fill of running from place-to-place. I’m getting too old for open-world games. I need structure.

Anyway, BotW is a good game. I’m happy that I never need to touch it or think about it again.
>>
Also I’m completely over open-world Soulsborne games after finishing Elden Ring.
>>
botw is better than totk so no need to play it
>>
>It will take a whole lot to get me to play another open-world Zelda game in the future
This is what I realised as soon as I started playing TOTK. I already spent 200+ hours on BOTW and I realised all at once that I couldn't be arsed to do it again. Sold it like a week later.
>>
BotW and TotK made so much money that there’s no way they won’t make another open-world game. Same with Elden Ring. I think a lot of people see open-world as a strict upgrade to anything. Even MGS went open-world.
>>
>>683723742
Actually there's 152 shrines
Back in you go
>>
>>683724651
>>683724259
I played some of TotK but the repeated map really killed any enthusiasm. The new stuff was neat but not enough to hold my interest. Most of the sky islands are tiny and pointless, the dungeons are just average for the series and if I want to play a building game there are plenty that do it much better like Scrap Mechanic.
>>
>>683724970
This is BotW, anon.
>>
File: 1718892919454152.jpg (112 KB, 1089x1200)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>683724259
It's too bad because the caves are GREAT and exactly what BotW was missing. They should have put their dev time into making a brand new overworld with caves and integrated dungeons like Hyrule Castle. Instead they made a game that mostly shits all over BotW's VERY GOOD open world design philosophy by basically forcing you to fast-travel constantly.

>>683723853
I appreciated that SotE cut down on the open world problem a lot by making the map much more dense, though it still had areas that were just way too much nothing.

Open world games could learn a lot from the first half of Dark Souls 1. You don't have fast travel, you don't NEED it, you might kind of want it sometimes, but that want makes the journey back to a spot you wanted to get to again feel more meaningful. You don't need it because all of the really critical stuff you would need to do is either pretty reachable at all times or has multiple possible ways to do it in different places.

BotW understood this to some extent which is why there are four great fairies all across the map, it doesn't matter which order you get to them, they all do the same thing, and they all get stronger the more of them you find. TotK majorly fucked up that one simple element by making it a linear fast-travel quest and that pretty much defines the design problems TotK has compared to BotW.
>>
>>683724651
The thing is, it's fine if it's been six years since you've played BotW. But even then it could never be as exciting as the first time through BotW, or really the first time through ANY Zelda game.

God I wish I could play a new Zelda or Souls game for the first time right now. I've already polished off too many of the play-alikes. Guess I could finally get to Nioh 2 but I didn't like the mission structure or loot of the first game.
>>
>>683723742
It's ok it's just an age thing
I remember when I was younger doing the 100% meme replaying at harder settings...
Now all I want is a 6~12h good movie game I can finish in a weekend.
But they don't make those.
>>
File: GRwhu6qbsAAvyLZ.jpg (681 KB, 1448x2048)
681 KB
681 KB JPG
>>683726235
>Now all I want is a 6~12h good movie game I can finish in a weekend. But they don't make those.

Capcom makes tons of those. Every Resident Evil game.
>>
>>683726235
I mean, I don’t want a movie game either.
>>
>>683723742
Now you can play a good Zelda game.
>>
File: 1718722488684067.jpg (190 KB, 710x1200)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>>683725705
Echoes of Wisdom is two months away. I hope it doesn't suck.

In the meantime, Master Key is pretty damn good.
>>
Open-world was a mistake.
>>
>>683723742
>>683724259
>>683731536
You lot and got raped, Eric.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.