[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: purge.png (129 KB, 381x539)
129 KB
129 KB PNG
Why is the storytelling through item descriptions so praised in the souls games? Everyone says how awesome it is but it just feels completely inorganic to me.
You're some random shitter, how does your character acquire the knowledge of the story behind some ring he picks up? The game just tells you that, you don't actually discover anything yourself.
Contrast this to something like the half-life or portal games. A lot of the games backstory is inferred through paying attention to environmental storytelling. Gordon doesn't pick up the cock ring of Nihilanth to discover his esoteric origin.
>>
>>683725913
Your character doesn't necessarily know shit. It doesn't really matter for the story. Item description storytelling is purely for the player's benefit.
>>
>>683725913
it's just cool
would you rather find audio tapes conveniently left around
>>
>>683725913
That was a creepy revelation when i first read it. God i love souls lore. Elden ring just doesnt hit the same.
>>
>>683725913
Cause it's more subtle and slowly has you learn more about the world and can easily be ignored if you want too.

It's far better then the narrator or some annoying character explaining the lore to you in a 30 minute unskippable cut-scene that's as subtle as a baseball bat to the face.
>>
Ludonarrative dissonance.
You, the player, knows what the stone does because you read it. But why would you, the chosen undead, know what the stone does?
>>
>Everyone says how awesome it
Lol no, only autist give a shit about the story, the story has always been second to gameplay in these games and I have never in a single game had a fucking clue what the story is its inconsequential shitty ramblings, might as well have been generated by AI. The only people that praise it are literal retards, as evidenced by the incoherent multi hour youtube videos trying to explain the random loose threads of shit dumped in each game.
>>
>>683726814
>Lol no, only autist give a shit about the story
for how many words you typed you sure didn't read the OP
>>
>>683725913
I like the idea because you can interact with as much or as little as you want. You don't give a fuck? Don't read any. You want to learn more about an enemy? Read their shit.
>>
>>683726437
>you dont like X? well its a million times better than [the worst thing i can come up with]
is this autism? yeah the storytelling of dark souls is more palatable than borderlands but there are other methods of vidya storytelling than what those two utilize. like half-life, as mentioned in OP.
>>
>>683727098
Just like I don't read item descriptions either.
>>
>>683726234
i liked the audio tapes in bioshock tbqh, the overpronounced accents were silly but they were also memorable
>SAVE ME FAMILY

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.